• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Minimum 102 MC
That's awesome. Thanks for replying.

What about Xenoblade 2? Is it as good as Xenoblade?
It's ok. It's MC score is 83 (original XB is 92), and that difference pretty well represents the polish and design quality of the two games, IMO.

XB2 is a good game, and some people love it to death, but it has a lot more issues you have to hand-wave away when singing its praises than the original does.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Minimum 102 MC

It's ok. It's MC score is 83 (original XB is 92), and that difference pretty well represents the polish and design quality of the two games, IMO.

XB2 is a good game, and some people love it to death, but it has a lot more issues you have to hand-wave away when singing its praises than the original does.
The game had many updates and QOL changes since it got that score. Let's not exaggerate.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The game had many updates and QOL changes since it got that score. Let's not exaggerate.
IMO the biggest problems with XB2 weren't technical, and they weren't QOL problems. It's nice that it's less annoying to quick travel, but that doesn't help break/topple taking 35 hours (or thereabouts) to be introduced/explained. For example!

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that XB2 is a very flawed game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
this is a really silly complaint that I'm sure no one here is gonna really relate to but I can't fucking stand the japanese subtitle font.

It's the same font used in Octopath Traveler and it makes deciphering the kanji so goddamn hard, lmao.

OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that it's less annoying to quick travel, but that doesn't help break/topple taking 35 hours (or thereabouts) to be introduced/explained. For example!
I get what you're trying to say, but isn't Break/Topple available from near the start? I want to say Nia and Tora have Break and Topple arts right away.

You might be thinking of Rex's Anchor Shot art not getting the Topple effect until Chapter 3.

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
IMO the biggest problems with XB2 weren't technical, and they weren't QOL problems. It's nice that it's less annoying to quick travel, but that doesn't help break/topple taking 35 hours (or thereabouts) to be introduced/explained. For example!

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that XB2 is a very flawed game.

They should've placed art chaining in the affinity charts earlier like what Torna did. Once i got the art chain affinity the gameplay became really fun imo.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're trying to say, but isn't Break/Topple available from near the start? I want to say Nia and Tora have Break and Topple arts right away.

You might be thinking of Rex's Anchor Shot art not getting the Topple effect until Chapter 3.
You're probably right. I'm definitely remembering a tutorial that comes inexplicably late, and *not* the tutorial that comes inexplicably late that everyone remembers...
They should've placed art chaining in the affinity charts earlier like what Torna did. Once i got the art chain affinity the gameplay became really fun imo.
Yeah, the battle system is very nice once all the pieces slide into place, it's just that the order they get introduced is pretty wack. I think most of XB2's design problems were just a function of not having enough time to go back and polish things. They were on a pretty compressed dev timeframe.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Subtle ♪

1889602.jpg

EX2noVTUcAA4Jwq
Subtle?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure which game I heard tracks from either, XC2 or XCX? Not sure if it was just those specific tracks but it just seemed a little too crazy and all over the place. Hope that makes sense.

The tracks I have heard of XC so far seem pretty cool and more to my liking.

I'm 100% sure you must've heard XCX tracks as that's the only of the games with genuinely strange music choices. XC1 and XC2 both have more traditional, beautiful OSTs.

No it's not.
It received far less critical acclaim and it is very divisive, whereas there is no divisiveness to speak of with XC1.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
I hope the character AI has been improved. I'd like to have Melia in my team and not have to control her to not have her be ass.

Jan 2, 2018

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I have been enjoying a lot of JRPGs recently (Persona 5 Royal, FF7 Remax, FFXII remaster, FFX-HD)

I about to buy a Switch soon, just curious how good is this game? I know it's by the ex-Xenogears team at Square Soft and I loved Xenogears.

It is the best game Monolith has ever made (though story-wise it is the weakest compared to Xenogears/Saga). you should expect something completely different, maybe closer to the sense of adventure and beauty of Chrono Cross, but on a much bigger scale with much better gameplay.

It is on the same scale, depth, and it has its own addictive gameplay loop so I think it is more of a personal preference to be honest. some people don't like it because of how anime it is, but as a video game it is fantastic and a gigantic game with a lot of heart and personality.

The first game is more polished and more intelligent about how accessible and smart it is, basically it is the most accessible JRPG I've ever played. for example if you lost you don't lose any progress, and every character will level-up when you battle regardless if they participated or not, it is also the only Xenoblade that don't force you to do any side content to advance the story, so you can play it any way you like.

The second game is not as smart and pacing is slower, and some people disliked field abilities and how they blocked their path sometimes (I liked them). but it offers the best music you can get in a JRPG, no other game can come close, not even the first game. world building and side quests are better as you learn more about the different titans and their culture from every perspective possible, and the relationship between blades and humans is brilliant and explored extremely well, especially after learning what happened in Torna the Golden Country (the DLC). not many people care or think about those things though, I guess. the second game is also more challenging and aggressive.

I think the first game is slightly better designed and more accessible, but I love the second game more and I feel more attached to it, even in terms of story and characters... especially the party in Torna the Golden Country.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted? I have no idea where it came from, early preview upload?

Hey, thanks for that. I wonder where that came from.
They did improve it quite nicely and retained the atmosphere of the original. There also seems to be an additional floating island next to Prison island. Interesting...

Why the hell does the video cut away at the best part though, when the meteor shower starts, lol.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're curious:

www.resetera.com

ResetEra Video Game Fantasy League |OT| 2020 Season

Hello, everyone! There's a website being talked about on some podcasts called fantasycritic.games Here you can play a fantasy football type game where you draft a bunch of video games coming out in 2020 akin to fantasy football, then get points based on their aggregate review scores from...
Interesting. I'll read more into it.

Wait, should we be getting previews/impressions soon? :D
yep. The previews usually come out between 8 am - 10 am Eastern. So another 8 hours or so

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No, I'm legit confused on what I'm supposed to notice in the new art?

The perspective is different (and it makes more sense with the Titan's in-game positions), the Monado is now Red/Cyan instead of Red/White (Clear?), the Mechonis Arm reaches across more closely, and the horizon is bent to a more dramatic effect. Also small change in colouring (specifically, the saturation) here and there.

They look alike, but they changed a lot between pics.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The perspective is different, the Monado is now Red/Cyan instead of Red/White (Clear?), the Mechonis Arm reaches across more closely, and the horizon is bent.

Looks alike, but they changed a lot between pics.
I guess they wanted to avoid any sense of "false advertising" the promo shot might ensue.

Also isn't the cyan suppose to reflect the glowing patterns? The tone in the original press shot is very dull looking, while this new render feels "HDR'd up" with its saturation.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone has their own opinion on this as you're finding out. Personally, I find the XB1's story to be kinda vanilla and XB2's story has a bit more depth to it. XB2's combat system is also more engaging but it's also more difficult to understand. The biggest issue's with XB2 are that it's character designs are really poor and certain mechanics like field skills aren't implemented very well.

I kinda think of it like XB1 does everything decently but nothing really exceptional, whereas XB2 does somethings very well and some very poorly.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I'm pretty happy about the fact that I picked XB:DE in my Fantasy Critic League. 90+ is a real possibility.
Honestly I'm going to be pretty surprised if it doesn't surpass 90. It is improving the issues the original release had (which still got a 92 on MC). After preview events I feel I'll be able to solidify a personal prediction on the score, but with everything we know so far I really do think this might beat that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm going to be pretty surprised if it doesn't surpass 90. It is improving the issues the original release had (which still got a 92 on MC). After preview events I feel I'll be able to solidify a personal prediction on the score, but with everything we know so far I really do think this might beat that.
I agree. I would be surprised. It doesn't matter how harsh reviewers are now. An amazing game is an amazing game and reviewers will see that.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess they wanted to avoid any sense of "false advertising" the promo shot might ensue.

Also isn't the cyan suppose to reflect the glowing patterns? The tone in the original press shot is very dull looking, while this new render feels "HDR'd up" with its saturation.

More or less. Earliest renditions had it almost transparent blue, these days it's straight up cyan. But yeah the new Wallpaper reflects the "new direction"

312-3120081_shulk-time-shulk-xenoblade-chronicles.png

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the 3D version of this game for 3DS before it got announced for the Switch. Haven't played it yet. Is there a reason to keep the 3DS version apart from the fact that its a collectible? The definitive edition will be the same game but have all the upgrades, right?
From what I understand, the new3DS version has a beastiary, which isn't in the Definitive Edition. That said, the Definitive Edition adds so much more in its place, not to mention an epilogue chapter.

If you're a collector, I suggest keeping it sealed. Otherwise...sell it? (Though I would suggest selling it 10 years from now or something and see if market value will go up.)

The 3DS version is the same in terms of content as the Wii version but with the addition of a model viewer and sound test, which won't be in the Switch version. There's no bestiary as far as I can remember.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Just don't listen to the part where they say 1 has less length value because of depth.
It has plenty of depth if not more in many ways.
Just less farming.
Damn. I was really hoping there's be some great farming in this game. That's always my biggest time sink in RPGs I love. Farm spots and grinding...

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
Damn. I was really hoping there's be some great farming in this game. That's always my biggest time sink in RPGs I love. Farm spots and grinding...
The farming here is better than the one in 2 imo. The farm you do in 2 only increases the damage numbers, in this one you can farm weapons and armors and it reflects on the party member as you can see them wear it. I really like rpgs that changes the appearance of the party. Gives more incentives to get the best gear.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
You stills have tons of quests, books, gears to find along with the new time attack mode.
If you want too max out characters you'll also have to find all arts mastery books as well as make AP to get these all to max level.

Maxing affinity adds to it and you can either use tons of collepedia items or fight with various party compositions while doing other things.

But yeah it's not as tedious as 2 with the Blades, which seems unfortunate for you, but fortunate for the game as it prevents it from losing balance and potential, gated behind gacha and farming.

So for you it's a lose/win situation. For most players, win/win.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
You guys are making me so excited for Xenoblade.

i have over 500 hours in XC2 and I've never touched the first one.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Well hopefully 3rd time's the charm with me and this game. I could never get into XC1, really disliked XCX, and loved XBC2 to death (my favorite Switch game hands down). Maybe this time I'll actually beat the game!