• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Moving past the combat debates, this is awesome news.

It was one of my highly requested additions for DE. But when FC was revealed, I felt any hope of see something similar had been dashed.

I know some people don't want to see characters from XC2.

But I'd love to roam Bionis with Shulk, Rex and Elma - how awesome would that be?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best aspects of the DLC for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was how they brought the characters from XC and XCX along with their mechanics, Future Vision and Overdrive respectively, and how well they were implemented with the Xenoblade 2 gameplay so it would be neat if they could do the same if they bring Elma and Rex for a ride in XC.

Also I don't think it will be THAT hard to do! the gameplay of Xenoblade X is very similar to XCbut they can reduce Elma arms to avoid the Close-Ranged weapons switch and just focus on a single art palate and as for Rex they could buff his regular Aegis moveset with the Special arts.

I don't think it will happen because it will still be a lot of work to do something like that but it could be neat.

... at least bring some tracks from those games so I can roam Bionis using the Mor Ardain theme jdalsjdal;skj

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I can see that but at the same time there's no arts variety. They're all more or less the same, lots of blades, ok but it's all about their special attacks which are cinematics with QTE, the rest is the same arts over and over again.

No aura, no buff and debuff, the topple smash combo is ok but that's all there is.

Its flashy and well animated for sure, deeper, not really.
This. The one failing of Challenge Mode in 2 is that since 2's combat system didn't have a wide variety of defensive arts (especially buffs and debuffs), and as such, means to react to a boss defensively. This creates two issues:
  • Firstly, the lack of defensive options, combined with the high offensive prowess of the Challenge Mode bosses, made things such as crit healing all the more important.
  • The second issue is that having no means to react to a boss' attacks makes all of the bosses felt both flowcharty and very similar to each other, especially in a casual run.
Neither of these should be much of a problem with a potential Challenge Mode in 1.

Last edited:

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This. The one failing of Challenge Mode in 2 is that since 2's combat system didn't have a wide variety of defensive arts (especially buffs and debuffs), and as such, means to react to a boss defensively. This creates two issues:
  • Firstly, the lack of defensive options, combined with the high offensive prowess of the Challenge Mode bosses, made things such as crit heal all the more important.
  • The second issue is that having no means to react to a boss' attacks makes all of the bosses felt both flowcharty and very similar to each other, especially in a casual run.
Neither of these should be much of a problem with a potential Challenge Mode in 1.

What? Are you sure that's Xenoblade 2?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Critical healing isn't really important in the Land of Challenge. You want to be sealing powerful moves and driver combo-locking enemies constantly.

And if you do get caught out, you want to have a blade combo level three or a blade special level four ready, so you can abuse invincibility frames to tank them. You've also got blade specials that team heal, so it's cool to try and incorporate them into blade combos - that way you're building toward the next orb and healing.

There's got blades that can heal via auto attacks, arts and chain attacks too. You've got go the typical potions too. Some arts that grant evasion for so many attacks afterwards, too.

Agility is probably more important than health. People think crit/heal Mythra is the best use of her, but you actually want to get Rex's health so low, Mythra's other special ability kicks in and he gets a massive agility boost. If you combine her with Shulk you will almost never get hit.

I do think there's probably less out and out defensive options than XC, from memory. But I think XC2, which is much more aggressive in general, attaches a lot of good defensive options to other more offensive mechanics.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
  • Firstly, the lack of defensive options, combined with the high offensive prowess of the Challenge Mode bosses, made things such as crit healing all the more important.

There are lots of defensive options in XC2.

Corvin is arguably the most broken blade in the game for a reason.

Critical healing isn't really important in the Land of Challenge. You want to be sealing powerful moves and driver combo-locking enemies constantly.

And if you do get caught out, you want to have a blade combo level three or a blade special level four ready, so you can abuse invincibility frames to tank them. You've also got blade specials that team heal, so it's cool to try and incorporate them into blade combos - that way you're building toward the next orb and healing.

There's got blades that can heal via auto attacks, arts and chain attacks too. You've got go the typical potions too. Some arts that grant evasion for so many attacks afterwards, too.

Agility is probably more important than health. People think crit/heal Mythra is the best use of her, but you actually want to get Rex's health so low, Mythra's other special ability kicks in and he gets a massive agility boost. If you combine her with Shulk you will almost never get hit.

I do think there's probably less out and out defensive options than XC, from memory. But I think XC2, which is much more aggressive in general, attaches a lot of good defensive options to other more offensive mechanics.

Since the first Xenoblade game dodging attacks has always been better than healing. This is true in literally all the games lol.

Also, ultimate shield, reflect null and absorb aux cores are great defensive option. Blades with dispel are extremely useful.

I like XC1, I think the comvat has a great style. But I don't find either game to have appreciably more or less combat depth.

Last edited:

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Enel just did a world record-breaking speed run built around a single blade - and not an amazing one - that gets a massive damage boost every time she picks up a health potion. He combined that skill with certain blades in certain battles, alongside fusion combos to tear through the game in less than four hours.

I was just watching his run. It's so good

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? Xenoblade 2 has almost no defensive arts, buffs or debuffs, which makes its battle system feel far too linear - its a common complaint of its combat.

There's also an auto-block that , which is dictated by your blade's block rate.
Shield hammer has a shield art that blocks with HP regen while active.
Chroma Katana has attacks with auto-evasion while active.
Bitballs have healing arts and damage with team-heal. Some specials does the same from other weapon classes.
Attaching weapon classes gives you automatic buffs even if you don't use them. ATK gives damage up, TNK gives damage taken reduction, HLR gives aggro reduction.
Each blade does blade arts that are apply buffs (accuracy up, critical up, etc) on the background. Those trigger when you need them.
You have pouch items that give automatic buffs on a limited game time.
Each blade also has buffs to improve overall performance called battle skills (damage multiplier, heal on kill, defense up, auto-orbs, etc).
Accessories and aux cores are additional buffs as well.
An elemental orb that seals certain enemy effect is basically the debuff you can apply to enemy. This is permanent throughout the battle as long as you don't overwrite it with another.
You get invincibility frames at blade combo finisher animations.
You get invincibility frames when you do a level 4 special at any time.
You get invincibility frames when you initiate a chain attack.

The thing is, defensive options exist, and they are more into passive and automatically triggered than you activate by arts. Buffs exist and they are a lot of them, and most of them are activated automatically, like max affinity or when HP drops below 30% for example. Debuffs to enemies don't really much exist, but do you really need them with all these buffs? Players are given a wide variety of options to overcome challenge battles, and story battles as well.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
There's also an auto-block that , which is dictated by your blade's block rate. Passive.
Shield hammer has a shield art that blocks with HP regen while active.
Chroma Katana has attacks with auto-evasion while active.
Bitballs have healing arts and damage with team-heal. Some specials does the same from other weapon classes. Healing arts are nowhere near good enough for the Challenge Mode bosses due to the cooldown, and will not protect against OHKO attacks.
Attaching weapon classes gives you automatic buffs even if you don't use them. ATK gives damage up, TNK gives damage taken reduction, HLR gives aggro reduction. Passive.
Each blade does blade arts that are apply buffs (accuracy up, critical up, etc) on the background. Those trigger when you need them. Passive.
You have pouch items that give automatic buffs on a limited game time. Passive.
Each blade also has buffs to improve overall performance called battle skills (damage multiplier, heal on kill, defense up, auto-orbs, etc). Mostly passive.
Accessories and aux cores are additional buffs as well. Passive.
An elemental orb that seals certain enemy effect is basically the debuff you can apply to enemy. This is permanent throughout the battle as long as you don't overwrite it with another. Outside of Seal Reinforcements (and Seal Shackle Driver, which IIRC, none of the difficult Challenge Mode bosses use, none of them are particularly impactful.
You get invincibility frames at blade combo finisher animations.
You get invincibility frames when you do a level 4 special at any time.
You get invincibility frames when you initiate a chain attack.

The thing is, defensive options exist, and they are more into passive and automatically triggered than you activate by arts. Buffs exist and they are a lot of them, and most of them are activated automatically, like max affinity or when HP drops below 30% for example. Debuffs to enemies don't really much exist, but do you really need them with all these buffs? Players are given a wide variety of options to overcome challenge battles, and story battles as well.
Comments in bold - anything that involves actively reacting to an enemy isn't commented on.

In general, if passive buffs count as defensive options, then the gems (or at least, those that have a defensive use, i.e. Agility up) in Xenoblade 1 also count.

In short, this pertains to part of the fundamental issue with 2's battle system - that since almost all of your buffs are passive, the combat gets very linear, as you have very few ways of reacting to the enemy.

Even at the highest levels, it boils down to setting up a Chain Attack/Fusion Combo, and maybe use invincibility frames to dodge the OHKO attack.

On the contrary, in Xenoblade 1's case, whenever you get a vision for a dangerous attack that a superboss uses (which would be the main selling point of a Challenge Mode), you have a multitude of ways to react to it, making Xenoblade 1's combat far more responsive and far less linear.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
All XC combats need streamlining tbh. And streamlining doesn't necessarily mean reducing depth either.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I was just watching his run. It's so good

It's brilliant, isn't it?

Nia is considered the worst driver in the game due to slow animations and so so arts, while Crossette isn't considered a power house at all.

But add them together and they work - provided you know what you're doing.

I hope he gets into GDQ, he deserves it.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Comments in bold - anything that involves actively reacting to an enemy isn't commented on.

In short, this pertains to part of the fundamental issue with 2's battle system - that since almost all of your buffs are passive, the combat gets very linear, as you have very few ways of reacting to the enemy.

Even at the highest levels, it boils down to setting up a Chain Attack/Fusion Combo, and maybe use invincibility frames to dodge the OHKO attack.

Again there are arts that auto-evade and arts that basically does a block with regen. A lot of the massive attacks by bosses especially takes a bit of a startup to execute so you have time to react. And using those invincibility frames are basically a reaction to enemy attacks as well.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You're not employing a huge swath of techniques to deal with enemies in XC1. You are relying on the same core of 3-4 moves to deal with almost everything. And healing options are weak in that game too. The best way to maximize a character is through gem bonus and affinity chart passives. That's where all the broken builds come from. Literally the same thing as XC2. Using an art slot for a buff is not added depth vs setting up passives to do the same thing.

Due to how arts work in XC1 unless you are setting up evasion and accuracy buffs there is no reason not to use a buff when its available.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
I love XC too and I'm excited to get stuck into combat with DE and see how they compare. XC absolutely has its strengths too and I can understand while some people prefer it.

Yes, I'm very happy that XDE copy challenge mode from 2. Monolithsoft is making better and better games each time,the QOL XDE will have are an example of they listening to their fanbase after X2 most critical issues and also it have the very best addition from it to.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
I am getting pretty hyped for the game. Already played and beat it on the Wii, but will gladly give it a go again. One of the GOATs for sure.
Too bad that the Collector's Edition seems to be out of stock or generally unavailable everywhere in my country. :/

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the town textures look improved, but I can't really tell as much with the outside areas. Although I actually haven't played it on the Wii since I tried it for a few hours in 2012. My first actual playthrough was in 2013 on PC with the texture packs, which looked pretty nice. I like the character designs more with this version though, and a challenge mode is cool.

Release the upgraded Switch already so I can buy one!
Outside areas have updated foliage and water shaders, not to mention the lighting has been overhauled, and all models feature some sort of normalmap to them.

I don't think any texture pack can change the look without significantly overhauling the engine too. The last time I've seen such a mod was with Freespace 2's open source project, but that was because the community had the source code of the game to integrate such advanced feature sets.

Upgraded Switch won't come until 2023 given the pandemic and all.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I don't think any texture pack can change the look without significantly overhauling the engine too. The last time I've seen such a mod was with Freespace 2's open source project, but that was because the community had the source code of the game to integrate such advanced feature sets.

Would it even be worth the cost for a DLC texture pack? this Definitive Edition is clearly designed to get the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans to experience the original game.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I-is this a joke post I legitimately can't tell
Why in the world would this be a joke post?

this is way too detailed to be a joke post, so i'm gonna assume it's real and proceed as follow: what the fuck is wrong with some of you
I could ask the same of you. Is there something wrong with me being disappointed and let down by NoA's handling of a game I wanted an opportunity to play back in 2010? Or are you one of those people who'll slobber at the feet of your favorite entertainment corporation no matter how badly they treat you?

It's certainly dumb. Can't deny that.

Man, some of you guys are real pricks.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Why in the world would this be a joke post?

I could ask the same of you. Is there something wrong with me being disappointed and let down by NoA's handling of a game I wanted an opportunity to play back in 2010? Or are you one of those people who'll slobber at the feet of your favorite entertainment corporation no matter how badly they treat you?

I don't want to be rude, however your original post comes across as a bit edgy.
It also kind of proves NOA right in what they did; by not buying the niche-er games like XB out of spite and not supporting the devs it contributes to "Western gamers don't want these games" attitudes.

Also actual fans don't tend to brag about how many consoles they've sold or marketed; we just enjoy games, support our favourite devs and wait for their next projects in excitement.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo of America finally uploaded this trailer. Kinda crazy we got two trailers from NoA for Xenoblade 1 in a week! :)

Super excited for this!!

Edit: THE THUMBNAIL, THEY REFERENCED THE MEME

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

If it's dumb it's dumb man. Dunno what you want people to tell you. If you dive that deep into your fandom of a company and product and then get burned by your own over investment, that's on you. This business is literally fun and games. Your whole post reads like someone who has forgotten that even now.

Way too much pride involved in playing, promoting and buying video games.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the 3D version of this game for 3DS before it got announced for the Switch. Haven't played it yet. Is there a reason to keep the 3DS version apart from the fact that its a collectible? The definitive edition will be the same game but have all the upgrades, right?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo of America finally uploaded this trailer. Kinda crazy we got two trailers from NoA for Xenoblade 1 in a week! :)

Super excited for this!!

Edit: THE THUMBNAIL, THEY REFERENCED THE MEME

Melia can't win

Xhab8Tk.png

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the 3D version of this game for 3DS before it got announced for the Switch. Haven't played it yet. Is there a reason to keep the 3DS version apart from the fact that its a collectible? The definitive edition will be the same game but have all the upgrades, right?
From what I understand, the new3DS version has a beastiary, which isn't in the Definitive Edition. That said, the Definitive Edition adds so much more in its place, not to mention an epilogue chapter.

If you're a collector, I suggest keeping it sealed. Otherwise...sell it? (Though I would suggest selling it 10 years from now or something and see if market value will go up.)

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
17 days to go... XC2 was my favorite JRPG of the last 5 years, and I haven't played XC1.
Preloaded and ready to go!
From what I've seen so far, i prefer the character design from XC2 (more variety), but I'm sure they'll grow on me.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered today! I played the first when it came out (also got the Nintendo EU coins for XC, Pandora's Tower and The Last Story!) but I dropped it for some reason around 20 ish hours in. Super excited to play again properly, plus then I can finally play XC2 after owning it for months!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We got word from someone on here that the previews will be VERY positive! They know someone who is reviewing it

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where didja hear that? 🤔
www.resetera.com

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT8| Begun, The Nintendo Has

Xenoblade DE previews and reviews are coming soon, and will be VERY positive

www.resetera.com

Not personally (I have to wait day 1 for my personal review copy) but people close to me and my site are I can't disclose anything right now but everything I habe seen and heard is VERY positive The only bit of info crucial to me and yet to be disclose is Future Connected longevity

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
www.resetera.com

Xenoblade DE previews and reviews are coming soon, and will be VERY positive

www.resetera.com

Not personally (I have to wait day 1 for my personal review copy) but people close to me and my site are I can't disclose anything right now but everything I habe seen and heard is VERY positive The only bit of info crucial to me and yet to be disclose is Future Connected longevity
Ah, thank you!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the initial game was already well received. I'd be surprised if this game botched that

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My predictions of this game scoring 90+ will come true. Too many doubters think it will be in the 80's for some reason. It's one of the greatest RPG's ever. It's now in full HD with lots of QOL updates. It has extra missions and a new story to play. Like it's perfect cake made sweeter.