• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to view Torna as a separate game from Xenoblade 2. I view it as an additional part of Xenoblade 2 the same way I view any other big RPG expansion as part of the RPG itself. I know Torna can be played standalone, but it was still designed as story DLC for people who finished Xenoblade 2.

First time hearing the new version of Time to Fight. NoE also updated their twitter banner.

NoE_twitter_banner_Xenoblade_DE.png

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to go back and play through this game finally. I played through a lot of it on Dolphin before it got a US release, and then again on Wii/Wii U when it came stateside. It's hard to say how far I progressed but I think at least halfway, maybe further.

Having played up to Chapter 7 of Xenoblade 2, and only JUST figuring out how to properly use blade combos & chain attacks (make orbs, smash orbs), I'm curious how it will be to "go back" to Xenoblade 1 combat. I'm having so much fun with Xenoblade 2 and mixing and matching my blades to cover my bases (driver combos + blade combos), and I'm afraid that Xenoblade 1 will feel very simple by comparison.

Debating whether or not to give Xenoblade X another chance before Definitive comes out. I bounced off it so hard, and it's tough to imagine finding the time to go back. Does anyone have a good YouTube primer on combat for that game, or a Kotaku style "tips for playing?"

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I too can't really separate Torna from XB2 proper, the sense of melancholy and dread that comes from playing it really comes with context of XB2, with the world that comes about as a result of the end of this campaign.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Torna is DLC, let's be honest. It was padded out and expanded into a stand-alone release to help plug a gap in Nintendo's release schedule.

It's part of the XC2... and will be in the inevitable DE release. ;)

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
All the games are amazing to me but I like Xeno 2 the most, I also consider Torna part of the XC2 experience. I'm currently playing the 3DS version of Xeno 1 because I feel like beating that version too and I definitely won't go back to it after DE. Also took this pic of all 4 games:
7QwVHcj.jpg

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm excited to go back and play through this game finally. I played through a lot of it on Dolphin before it got a US release, and then again on Wii/Wii U when it came stateside. It's hard to say how far I progressed but I think at least halfway, maybe further.

Having played up to Chapter 7 of Xenoblade 2, and only JUST figuring out how to properly use blade combos & chain attacks (make orbs, smash orbs), I'm curious how it will be to "go back" to Xenoblade 1 combat. I'm having so much fun with Xenoblade 2 and mixing and matching my blades to cover my bases (driver combos + blade combos), and I'm afraid that Xenoblade 1 will feel very simple by comparison.

Debating whether or not to give Xenoblade X another chance before Definitive comes out. I bounced off it so hard, and it's tough to imagine finding the time to go back. Does anyone have a good YouTube primer on combat for that game, or a Kotaku style "tips for playing?"
Then change party members as well as who you play with, tweaking skills and their sharing, gears, gems... Try to survive Uniques with a low enough level with many different parties and using a wide variety of arts, create the best chain attacks...
First time hearing the new version of Time to Fight. NoE also updated their twitter banner.

NoE_twitter_banner_Xenoblade_DE.png
Very cool banner. Almost has a Smash look though, with the character and symbol only shown.

It's deep in a very different way.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think this game will be huge. Expecting one million sales in a short timeframe. I wish I could get my hands on that collector though...

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
All the games are amazing to me but I like Xeno 2 the most, I also consider Torna part of the XC2 experience. I'm currently playing the 3DS version of Xeno 1 because I feel like beating that version too and I definitely won't go back to it after DE. Also took this pic of all 4 games:
7QwVHcj.jpg

That costume is as close as we will get to Pneuma. :(

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Do we know the frame rate yet? Assume we're looking at a target 30fps, like 2/Torna. Not huge deal for this type of game but I'll miss the 60fps patch on Dolphin, until I get a few hours in.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
It's still incredible how fans are the ones who made the Xenoblade franchise as popular as it is today.

Nintendo didn't believe in this franchise at all at first (I believe the first time they showed the original game on Wii was with a few screenshots on their website after their E3 presentation).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's still incredible how fans are the ones who made the Xenoblade franchise as popular as it is today.

Nintendo didn't believe in this franchise at all at first (I believe the first time they showed the original game on Wii was with a few screenshots on their website after their E3 presentation).
Nintendo of America*

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK

Have you seen the state of conversation in some of these threads? Xenoblade was a mistake. lol

NoE believed. Us Brits always believed. ;)

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, it still took quite some time for NoE to announce a localisation though. But yeah, they've been much better at it than NoA lol.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was going to be UI options.

I don't actually like the CHANCE! and the (!) prompts on the arts.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
7QwVHcj.jpg
the fact that these huge ass games can be played on handheld devices will forever be wild to me

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Any news on how the game looks in handheld? I've heard there was a leak, did it say anything about that?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just kidding! They've done a bang up job over the years. I prefer the bants from Nintendo UK though.

You know what? I think those accounts are run by the same people or from the same office (very likely from Frankfurt). XD The way all Nintendo of Europe branches interact here makes me really think that and it would make a lot of financial and organisational sense...

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
You know what? I think those accounts are run by the same people or from the same office (very likely from Frankfurt). XD The way all Nintendo of Europe branches interact here makes me really think that and it would make a lot of financial and organisational sense...

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to be fair. I much prefer the European accounts to the Nintendo of America one, which is a bit dull in comparison.

It would be interesting to learn the setup.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to be fair. I much prefer the European accounts to the Nintendo of America one, which is a bit dull in comparison.

It would be interesting to learn the setup.

This now goes really off topic, lol, but the same applies to Koei Tecmo's Europe and American social media accounts. The American account is pretty boring and dull while the European one is hilarious. Lots of jokes and memes and free stuff to get all the time. :)

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
This now goes really off topic, lol, but the same applies to Koei Tecmo's Europe and American social media accounts. The American account is pretty boring and dull while the European one is hilarious. Lots of jokes and memes and free stuff to get all the time. :)

Hmmm I like free stuff...

Back on topic - there's a picture circulating of a particular party member. Saw a link to it posted on Twitter, but didn't click it.

You've all been warned.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019

Yep, E3 2009. Back when it was still called "Monado: Beginning of the World." They snuck it in as part of a press package. The response to it then was nothing like the veneration it receives now. We've come a long way since then.

If I remember correctly, it still took quite some time for NoE to announce a localisation though. But yeah, they've been much better at it than NoA lol.
I believe it was in early 2011. I'm pretty sure they announced both it and Last Story around the same time, and Pandora's Tower not too long after. That's when Operation Rainfall began in earnest (well, really it was after E3 that year, when it became clear that NoA not only was not going to release these games, but didn't even want to acknowledge their existence).

I had always felt that Last Story was the more likely of the two games to get picked up by NoA, since it had the Final Fantasy legacy via Hironobu Sakaguchi and all. In fact, for a while I was kinda expecting NCL to mandate NoA to release the game. But nope! Didn't happen. I guess NoA was simply done with the Wii by that point. I knew from the very beginning that NoA was gonna pass up on Xenoblade because they'd shown a distinct distaste for Monolith Soft releases ever since Nintendo bought them, and with as cheap as NoA was in those days, I knew there was no way they were gonna go for such a huge localization project as Xenoblade would obviously be unless NCL forced them to, which I never felt was likely to happen. In the spring of 2010, after Xenoblade was announced for release with its new name, some reporter asked Cammie Dunway, or whatever her name was, about upcoming Nintendo releases, and she said something along the lines of how they (NoA) knew nothing about these games (Xenoblade was weeks away from being released in Japan at this point), which was a pretty obvious tell that Nintendo wasn't going to even thinking about bringing those games over here. They refused to even mention the games again for almost two years.

This whole fiasco was pretty much what soured me on Nintendo as a whole. I still buy their products occasionally, but they severed the link between me and them back then. I'm not a Nintendo fan any longer as much as I am a consumer who sometimes buys (used) Nintendo products (except for Zelda: BotW, which I was immensely excited for, and Hyrule Warriors: DE, which was the first game I got on Switch). I had been a Wii evangelist: I had a Wii on launch day, and between 2006 and 2011 I was directly responsible for the sales of at least 10 Wiis (4 for myself, 6 for others to whom I showed various Wii games) and dozens of pieces of software. Now, when a game came along that I wanted to play but my friends, my friends' girlfriends, my in-laws, my in-laws' parents, and my nieces and nephews didn't, NoA couldn't be bothered to release one of its own games on its system. That really soured me on them. You're the platform holder, Nintendo! It's your job to release content on your platform! Since NoA couldn't be bothered to do its job, I decided I could no longer be bothered to be a Nintendo fan. I did eventually get a Wii U (used), and a Switch (used), and a few games for each system (nearly always used; Nintendo itself hasn't gotten a dime from me in years, except for the two games mentioned above); but I don't play Nintendo games in front of other people any longer, I never offer to play games when people come over to visit anymore, and I never advertise Nintendo's products for them like I used to do (with enthusiasm!). When people ask me if I still play games, I say no, and end the conversation. As a result, NoA lost out not only on my business, but on the business of all those other people who only bought their products because I sold them to them by playing games like Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. Wii at my house. My friends, my friends' girlfriends (who are now their wives), my in-laws, and my in-laws' parents haven't purchased a Nintendo product in nearly a decade. My nephews are now Xbox players, and my nieces don't play video games at all (one of them is a huge Sims fan, but that's it). All of that business was lost because NoA broke faith with me over Xenoblade. I don't know how well aware Reggie or the other businessmen at Nintendo are of this kind of domino effect, but speaking from a consumer point of view, I can definitely tell you it happened, and it's real. 2010-era Nintendo wanted to replace me with a different kind of customer, and not only did they lose my business, they also lost the business of the kinds of customers they wanted to replace me with. If I could ever ask Reggie Fils-Aime anything, and actually get an honest answer from him, I would ask him about this.

Anyway, enough rambling. The point is, Xenoblade survived and eventually thrived, despite NoA's best efforts to ensure otherwise. And personally, I don't intend to let NoA forget what happened back then.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, E3 2009. Back when it was still called "Monado: Beginning of the World." They snuck it in as part of a press package. The response to it then was nothing like the veneration it receives now. We've come a long way since then.

I believe it was in early 2011. I'm pretty sure they announced both it and Last Story around the same time, and Pandora's Tower not too long after. That's when Operation Rainfall began in earnest (well, really it was after E3 that year, when it became clear that NoA not only was not going to release these games, but didn't even want to acknowledge their existence).

I had always felt that Last Story was the more likely of the two games to get picked up by NoA, since it had the Final Fantasy legacy via Hironobu Sakaguchi and all. In fact, for a while I was kinda expecting NCL to mandate NoA to release the game. But nope! Didn't happen. I guess NoA was simply done with the Wii by that point. I knew from the very beginning that NoA was gonna pass up on Xenoblade because they'd shown a distinct distaste for Monolith Soft releases ever since Nintendo bought them, and with as cheap as NoA was in those days, I knew there was no way they were gonna go for such a huge localization project as Xenoblade would obviously be unless NCL forced them to, which I never felt was likely to happen. In the spring of 2010, after Xenoblade was announced for release with its new name, some reporter asked Cammie Dunway, or whatever her name was, about upcoming Nintendo releases, and she said something along the lines of how they (NoA) knew nothing about these games (Xenoblade was weeks away from being released in Japan at this point), which was a pretty obvious tell that Nintendo wasn't going to even thinking about bringing those games over here. They refused to even mention the games again for almost two years.

This whole fiasco was pretty much what soured me on Nintendo as a whole. I still buy their products occasionally, but they severed the link between me and them back then. I'm not a Nintendo fan any longer as much as I am a consumer who sometimes buys (used) Nintendo products (except for Zelda: BotW, which I was immensely excited for, and Hyrule Warriors: DE, which was the first game I got on Switch). I had been a Wii evangelist: I had a Wii on launch day, and between 2006 and 2011 I was directly responsible for the sales of at least 10 Wiis (4 for myself, 6 for others to whom I showed various Wii games) and dozens of pieces of software. Now, when a game came along that I wanted to play but my friends, my friends' girlfriends, my in-laws, my in-laws' parents, and my nieces and nephews didn't, NoA couldn't be bothered to release one of its own games on its system. That really soured me on them. You're the platform holder, Nintendo! It's your job to release content on your platform! Since NoA couldn't be bothered to do its job, I decided I could no longer be bothered to be a Nintendo fan. I did eventually get a Wii U (used), and a Switch (used), and a few games for each system (nearly always used; Nintendo itself hasn't gotten a dime from me in years, except for the two games mentioned above); but I don't play Nintendo games in front of other people any longer, I never offer to play games when people come over to visit anymore, and I never advertise Nintendo's products for them like I used to do (with enthusiasm!). When people ask me if I still play games, I say no, and end the conversation. As a result, NoA lost out not only on my business, but on the business of all those other people who only bought their products because I sold them to them by playing games like Wii Sports and New Super Mario Bros. Wii at my house. My friends, my friends' girlfriends (who are now their wives), my in-laws, and my in-laws' parents haven't purchased a Nintendo product in nearly a decade. My nephews are now Xbox players, and my nieces don't play video games at all (one of them is a huge Sims fan, but that's it). All of that business was lost because NoA broke faith with me over Xenoblade. I don't know how well aware Reggie or the other businessmen at Nintendo are of this kind of domino effect, but speaking from a consumer point of view, I can definitely tell you it happened, and it's real. 2010-era Nintendo wanted to replace me with a different kind of customer, and not only did they lose my business, they also lost the business of the kinds of customers they wanted to replace me with. If I could ever ask Reggie Fils-Aime anything, and actually get an honest answer from him, I would ask him about this.

Anyway, enough rambling. The point is, Xenoblade survived and eventually thrived, despite NoA's best efforts to ensure otherwise. And personally, I don't intend to let NoA forget what happened back then.
I-is this a joke post I legitimately can't tell

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is way too detailed to be a joke post, so i'm gonna assume it's real and proceed as follow: what the fuck is wrong with some of you

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
this is way too detailed to be a joke post, so i'm gonna assume it's real and proceed as follow: what the fuck is wrong with some of you

It's certainly dumb. Can't deny that.

Nintendo of America's handling of the operation rainfall games was fucking non sense though. Limited release of Xenoblade at Gamestop only. The game became obnoxiously rare because they wouldn't reprint it for the longest time. Letting X Seed distribute the other 2 games. 2 years late on all of them. Honestly, what the fuck was all this bullshit? They were making so much money but doing the bare minimum. I don't blame people for being pissy about it.