• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Does anyone else not think future connected could be related to Elma's sidequest where all the Xeno protagonists meet? Elma, KOS-MOS, Shulk, Rex all meet.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else not think future connected could be related to Elma's sidequest where all the Xeno protagonists meet? Elma, KOS-MOS, Shulk, Rex all meet.

If it were connected to 2's DLC you'd think it'd be Fiora accompanying Shulk rather than Melia.

I feel this will be something else.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I think you replied to the wrong person.

Oops! There fixed.

now that this has a date maybe we can finally get Xenoblade X on Switch

Eh, they said it wasn't happening because it was too expensive, got to see how this one sells too. It'll likely sell well enough though.

That's not canon. This is either tied to the theory that the worlds merged, or it's some kind of adaption of the short story in the Monado Archives of the High Entia Restoration Chamber, or something entirely different.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Does this release have the Japanese voices, does anyone know? I've played through the game with both and prefer that to the English one.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
okay fine a "left for Japan and left for Europe" franchise lol.

But still! What an achievement. I love seeing the growth of this franchise.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
To all the people that are asking us to predict whether you'd enjoy this game based on whether you like or don't like XCX or XC2, it would really help to list what you liked or didn't like about them...

I adore XC1 and XCX and didn't like XC2 but that doesn't mean XC1 is more similar to XCX than XC2.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You can say it provides more freedom but I have to assume the post is in bad faith and/or not engaged with the fight system to any degree because the endgame possibilities and build potentials are insane in XB2. I think Quality over quantity is the way to go moving forward(as stated before I think going the Torna approach with set builds and THEN having a FEW extra builds to help add some open build variety, versus the quantity in XB2s main campaign is the way to go), but anyone who thinks the XB1 system which is essentially just a basic cooldown system with comboing skills is more indepth/customizeable than XB2 has to have not played the endgame at all I feel. I won't derail the thread further though, I've had enough XB2 shit posting to last me a life time at this point haha.
I never said the endgame of XB2 wasn't deep; it's that the endgame isn't the entire basis you should judge a game and its systems. An analogy would be like saying a Pokemon game allows you to use 1000+ different Pokemon but in the first 40 hours you're stuck with a hundred. Customization isn't relevant to just the endgame.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah I've always known that people like it because it was Ivalice adjacent, but the giant mouths and stuff were always bothersome. They looked hideous and I have to imagine there's a lot of reasons why they didn't try to remake that style.

The art style itself has been talked about numerous times. They simply made 3d armor designs and then retroactively engineered character faces to go with it. That's why I consider it a "not style" that became a style by comparison to something deliberately designed. But at that point it's spitting hairs.

To me the original will always look generic with their faces, but I'm glad they went with an actual coherent style this time versus a bunch of slightly changed default npc faces.

I get it. People wanted Zodiac Age instead of the new direction present in XB2, but people have a thing against "anime" usually anyways. I just feel it's less of what the "style" was in 1 versus what it wasn't, and the general animosity towards anything XB2 related and anime that helps fuel that discussion, but again, it won't matter. What's done is done at this point.
I think you definitely are splitting hairs there. It doesn't really matter how they arrived at the look of the characters, it's still an art style consciously created by the devs. They still had to decide how the faces would be depicted as they didn't just come into being. Art isn't always created in a linear fashion. Artists arrive at a look in all sorts of ways.

It just feels like you saying it's a non style and throwing quotation marks on is an attempt to make it invalid for the people saying they preferred it. You say it's not coherent but all the characters are in line with each other and consistent. Ironically Xenoblade 2 was very incoherent style wise as it mashed together all kinds of different art styles from different artists.

I think all the main character look distinct in the original. They certainly aren't just generic NPC faces. I feel like Shulk in this remake has a far more standard anime face, just by the shape of his jawline and his facial features. I really liked that the characters had normal sized lips before. And I know I said the taboo word "anime" but keep in mind that I still like Shulk's look in this remake. I'm really just arguing that there was value in the art style of the original and it's a shame we can't see it fully realized without the restrictions they clearly had to contend with.

I just want you to know that I completely agree and you are not a crazy person (at least, not because of this)
Lol thanks! I'm pretty sane in other areas too.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Xenoblade 2 spoiler related question:
How can I convince someone who didn't finish playing 2 yet, who played 1 and LOVED it, that they should finish 2 before playing the definitive edition, because it seems pretty likely that the epilogue is made assuming you've played both games?? I don't want to spoil the reveal that 1 and 2 are connected

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. I did enjoy this game back in the day, even though I only played for 10 hours or so. Will prolly pick it up.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they probably have way higher ambitions when I think most people would be satisfied with a port

Personally I think it comes down to a shared desire(with Nintendo) to follow up on the success of Xenoblade 2. Xenoblade X is a very different game, and Xenoblade DE will present a more consistent image of the franchise for the new fans.

The other aspect is that Xenoblade X is 23GB or something so they might simply be waiting for cheaper cards.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think you definitely are splitting hairs there. It doesn't really matter how they arrived at the look of the characters, it's still an art style consciously created by the devs. They still had to decide how the faces would be depicted as they didn't just come into being. Art isn't always created in a linear fashion. Artists arrive at a look in all sorts of ways.

It just feels like you saying it's a non style and throwing quotation marks on is an attempt to make it invalid for the people saying they preferred it. You say it's not coherent but all the characters are in line with each other and consistent. Ironically Xenoblade 2 was very incoherent style wise as it mashed together all kinds of different art styles from different artists.

I think all the main character look distinct in the original. They certainly aren't just generic NPC faces. I feel like Shulk in this remake has a far more standard anime face, just by the shape of his jawline and his facial features. I really liked that the characters had normal sized lips before. And I know I said the taboo word "anime" but keep in mind that I still like Shulk's look in this remake. I'm really just arguing that there was value in the art style of the original and it's a shame we can't see it fully realized without the restrictions they clearly had to contend with.
If it made you feel that way I apologize. But I was eplicitly speaking towards the way the art was created, thus the multiple incarnations of "I get why people liked it" and "They wanted more Zodiac Age and less anime" etc etc. We're good.

We can wax poetic all day about the semantics of art style or we can just go "I disagree but sure." Which is what I'm doing.

I never said the endgame of XB2 wasn't deep; it's that the endgame isn't the entire basis you should judge a game and its systems. An analogy would be like saying a Pokemon game allows you to use 1000+ different Pokemon but in the first 40 hours you're stuck with a hundred. Customization isn't relevant to just the endgame.
Never said endgame was the only way to judge. In fact aside from very specific sentences I wasn't even speaking solely about endgame. But if you were arguing in good faith you'd actually address and lay out the systems in place and not just argue the specific phrase of "endgame" and how that all feeds into the game as you progress.

Needless to say the affinity charts, gems, etc all exist in varying forms in the game of XB2, and you've done nothing to disprove that.

I had a majority of my builds started in Chapter 4 and I never had an "impossible boss fight" as you so boldly claimed nor did I engage much with Poppi on my first playthrough until I unlocked her third form.

It's funny how out of that entire post the only thing you could come up with to respond with was "Endgame isn't everything" when my entire post was about the systems and layers that you said were in XB1 that weren't in XB2, the group synergies you claimed that didn't exist and the "whatever it is" that XB2 does and how it does it.

It's fine to like XB1's system more, it's just annoying watching someone completely ignore and/or lie about the depth of the systems and try to argue semantic points when I explicitly laid out the systems many layers and subsystems and layers of customizations.

To stay on topic I hope they at least add more party control and more viability to the other arts in the game in this round, as I found there were typically 4-5 "best" arts for every character that made the superbosses in 1 typically rinse repeat affairs minus a few mechanics.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I'm talking about "Operation Rainfall", if I'm remembering the name correctly. I don't think I'd call it a US media campaign?

In any case, there was *clearly* no intent to localize Xenoblade (or the Last Story, or ... whatever the 3rd one was...) until fan pushback. To suggest otherwise, as some posters are, is some weird revisionism

I would hazard that Xenoblade would have come out via the WiiU digital store even without a fan campaign. I don't see the development of XCX being contingent upon the first game's NA release, and X obviously needed to be an international release to draw attention to the WiiU. So they would put out the existing European localization of Chronicles 1 in some form or another.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited about this. I had to find a wii and a copy on ebay back then, but the money spent was definitely worth it. It looks like mechanically the game will be the same, but hopefully they try a few ideas from XB2 or even entirely new ideas as a test-bed for moving forward. If nothing else, the QoL changes should be extremely beneficial for a game of this length.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Come on guys, call it by its name. It was called Operation Rainfall.
Operation Rainfall people were so obnoxious I almost didn't buy XC1 out of spite. I decided to cuz it looked so good, and then when I went to buy it the clerk at Gamestop was an Operation Rainfall person and got mad at me and tried to lecture me because I didn't want to also buy Last Story.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see info on these as I browsed the thread

• Any word on length/scope of the new epilogue?
  • Is the LE physical with the artbook up for preorder anywhere?

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a rethorical question? :)

No spoilers for other people
Yeah. pretty rhetorical. Hopefully it's not just a weird tease of a name that only has context within this new expansion. But you never know, they were clever about playing down and making sure no one guessed any connections between XB1 and XB2 prior to launch of the latter.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Never played this before so I'm super interested because of the constant FF12 comparisons, but...that battle UI they showed is horrendous wtf. Can you customize it?

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I would hazard that Xenoblade would have come out via the WiiU digital store even without a fan campaign. I don't see the development of XCX being contingent upon the first game's NA release, and X obviously needed to be an international release to draw attention to the WiiU. So they would put out the existing European localization of Chronicles 1 in some form or another.
Again, the *EU* release surely only happened because of the fan campaign. Nintendo has suggested otherwise, but their (lack of) action speaks much louder than ex post facto justification.

As for Xenoblade having a Wii U release in the hypothetical situation where it never got an english localization... I suspect not, but who knows?

I do agree that XCX probably gets made even in this alternate timeline. And maybe even gets localized. And it probably has a much different (better) title in the west.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
nopons.png

umm why nobody noticed that the two new noppons has alot of similarities with Rex and Pyra

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Liking the redone tracks, though I wish they didn't lower the bass in Gaur Plains.
Will see what they do with Mechonis Field, because that track is perfect with those dirty 90's synths.
As said in the Smash thread, the new battle(?) theme for the shoulder is incredible.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I find the art style change to be a blessing in disguise, It means that the original version of Xenoblade Chronicles still has value.