• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube account Paradigm & Erico used a modified camera to create a 1:1 comparison video for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and the Wii release of Xenoblade Chronicles. This video provides a much closer comparison for how the environments in Definitive Edition look compared to the Wii version.

Screencaps of environment comparisons from the video:
Makna_Forest_Comparison.png

Fallen_Arm_Comparison_1.png

Fallen_Arm_Comparison_2.png

Eryth_Sea_Comparison_1.png

Eryth_Sea_Comparison_2.png

Eryth_Sea_Comparison_3.png

Bionis_Leg_Comparison_1.png

Bionis_Leg_Comparison_2.png

Bionis_Leg_Comparison_3.png

Kneecap_Hill_Comparison_1.png

Kneecap_Hill_Comparison_2.png

Kneecap_Hill_Comparison_3.png

Bionis_Shoulder_Comparison_1.png

Bionis_Shoulder_Comparison_2.png

Bionis_Shoulder_Comparison_3.png

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the whole Mechonis hand/sword looks so different.

the final Shoulder is also quite different in parts (especially those scaffoldy rock formations)

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
First image seems more detailed on the wii so it still needs some work

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we need a new word to represent these games that are far more than just a remaster (which suggests just cleaning up) but not quite a full remake.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
From what was left of the shoulder in the original game, should we be expecting there to be another colony or settlement there or is it just wilderness?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
From what was left of the shoulder in the original game, should we be expecting there to be another colony or settlement there or is it just wilderness?
Another colony, IIRC the houses in the shoulder have a really different architecture style so maybe it's not even a homs colony, but I don't know.

So far it looks like a huge improvement while keeping the same environmental art. Some areas I really want to see remastered are:

-Satorul: During the day it's a bad-looking area
-Tephra cave: Another boring area, a huge increase in geometry should be enough to make it look more like a cave and less like random corridors
-Valak: Same as Satorul, during the day is boring

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They really went above and beyond, no one would ever be able to tell this used to be a Wii game lol

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Wow there is so much work behind it. It is absolutely my most wanted 2020 game. It is a pity I was a bit spoiled about the ending because of Xenoblade 2, but I am already sure I will anyway love this game.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Technically better, but I do prefer some select details in the original. Mainly related to the sky and the color of some things (Alcamoth seems to have lost most of its glowing blue color).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
My initial impression from the trailer was that the environments hadn't changed too much, but now I can see they clearly have. I guess it's the classic "looks like how you remembered it looking".

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda miss the lighter pastel tones of the original, but yeah, pretty big improvement on the detail.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really great already. Can't wait to start this adventure again. My fave Xenoblade game/RPG.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, I almost 100% the first game but I lost the save file and wanted to do a proper replay.

This is better than I imagined... Probably they will have the QOL from X2 too to help.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like xenoblade 2 a lot, the lighting and the way the characters are shaded. Let's hope it runs at a higher resolution haha

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I tried to play through this on 3DS and lost motivation right after the fight with the boss who's in the Xenoblade stage in Smash. I do wonder if maybe I'll give it a second chance when this remaster drops.

I did get through XB2 on the Switch and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not really sure what made it different enough that I got into it though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks fantastic! Idk why people were saying they just redid the grass and textures and called it a day. There are clearly a lot of new model touch ups in the environments and characters.

I do hope this runs better than XC2 apparently did on Handheld.

OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like those Bionis's Shoulder comparisons are hella misleading. :lol
I know the map was unfinished in the Wii version, but the matching camera does a good job of confirming the new location is indeed Bionis' Shoulder since most of the images I had seen of the unfinished map were from different angles.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
When the trailer started I didnt know wether to believe my eyes when I thought the game looked better than I remember, theres no way they would remaster Xenoblade right?
I am very happy to be wrong, it looks amazing.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like xenoblade 2 a lot, the lighting and the way the characters are shaded. Let's hope it runs at a higher resolution haha
I dream for 1080p, hope for 900p, and expect 720p :/
I really hope they can at least get it to 900p because 720p is rough. Xenoblade 2 was rushed to hit launch window so I hope they've managed to optimize enough since then to at least be able to hit 900p in this

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice, though I still feel some of it just looks a bit blurry. First few shots mainly, hope that improves a little. At least there's none of that awful sharpening filter though.

I dream for 1080p, hope for 900p, and expect 720p :/
I really hope they can at least get it to 900p because 720p is rough. Xenoblade 2 was rushed to hit launch window so I hope they've managed to optimize enough since then to at least be able to hit 900p in this

Thought there was a noticeable improvement from 2 to the Torna expansion so hopefully more time with the engine improves things further.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Monolith Soft ever since Xbc 2 has been implementing a heavy anti aliasing and lighting/atmospheric effect. It looks great, but every single wide shot always seems to come off as always ever so slightly out of focus or low res. Not texture low res, not shadow low res, not particle low res, but like the actual game output image resolution looks low. It unfortunately keeps creating these incredibly soft shots. Maybe it's also low quality motion blur or depth of field effect in game. They usually always get cleaner and sharper as development goes on.

That's the exciting thing. It always keeps improving with every showcase. Xb2 had this issue where its reveal and E3 2017 trailer was kinda blurry looking. But by September onwards it got cleaner and sharper.