• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will get Melia's voice actor back or if they plan to replace her. Seems like the game is reusing the audio but there may be some new stuff involving Melia on Bionis Shoulder.

I have no idea how much Jenna costs nowadays but after all the awards I imagine it would take a herculean effort on Nintendo's part to get her back.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will get Melia's voice actor back or if they plan to replace her. Seems like the game is reusing the audio but there may be some new stuff involving Melia on Bionis Shoulder.

Melia would be the most difficult to get back but Sharla's actress is also a regular on Eastenders now so she might not come back either... :(

Bright

Sep 15, 2018
This is so awesome! I've been thinking about this game so much lately but don't really have any way to play it. Great news.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the Xenoblade 2 engine to me, complete with the Torna upgrades.
I'll guess I'll buy it again and see if I finish it this time. Haven't gotten far in the Wii U VC version.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great game, better than XC2 IMO. Might pick it up on sale, don't think I can bring myself to buy it at full price when I already imported it before NoA changed their minds on releasing it, then a NA copy.
I actually imported the PAL version at release as well.

Then bought two NA copies directly from Nintendo when it came out here, one to play and one to keep sealed. (One of the only games for which I ever did that.)

Then bought the 3DS version.

This remake is the stuff of dreams for me. Xenoblade reignited my flame for modern JRPGs at the moment it was burning the lowest back then. It's one of the best game of all time to me and it having a remake is....is.

It's fucking great. ;_;

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The original game is kind of hard to track down these days, so it's good that they decided to remake it. Hopefully they tweak a few things to make it easier to handle all the sidequests. It's kind of a pain to do so in the original version because the quest givers aren't marked on the map unless you're ludicrously close to them, they're only available at pretty specific times of the day, and towns are massive.

I'm also really relieved that they're using the XB2 artstyle for characters moving forward. It just looks miles better than what they were doing before.

As someone who never owned a Wii/U, how do the gameplay mechanics and combat compare with Xenoblade Chronicles 2?
It's somewhat similar, but definitely more simplistic. You scroll through arts instead of them being mapped to a face button, you can attack while moving (so you end up thinking about positioning less), and there's nothing you're really planning super in advance for like Blade combos in XB2. The most notable thing is when you see the future and have to stop enemies from launching massive attacks that might wipe out your party.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
It looks like the models are new and not reused from XC2 DLC. For comparriosn:

XC2
u6e0OAF.jpg

XC1DE

j029M2F.png

Larger eyes, more detailed hair.

Definitely not Tanaka. Is it Saito? He did tweet the direct.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The original game is kind of hard to track down these days, so it's good that they decided to remake it. Hopefully they tweak a few things to make it easier to handle all the sidequests. It's kind of a pain to do so in the original version because the quest givers aren't marked on the map unless you're ludicrously close to them, they're only available at pretty specific times of the day, and towns are massive.

Yeah, they're going to need to do a lot of QOL work to update the game to a modern standard. World loot, combat flow, etc.

The good news is that if they're putting this much work into the visuals they're probably also gonna update the gameplay too.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's the bionis shoulder, the data for that area was in the original game but it went unused/unfinished. It was suposed to be the conection from Malka forest to Eryth Sea but since it was cut we got that awkard buble transport instead.
Even just that area would be an amazing addition, but if they add anything more...

I wonder if the combat will get any touch-ups.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I probably buy, and play this to completion before I bother finishing Xeno 2 lol

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still doesn't seem to running at native 1080p but I'm glad it's coming.
Now I'm hoping that X gets the same treatment. That game's verticality elevates traversal and exploring to another level.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think they'd prefer just a remaster? Seems pretty low rez like XB2 was whereas a remaster would be a nice crisp 1080p on switch.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we are still missing Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask. and Mario Sunshine. But yes. This direct was awesome!

The Switch still has multiple years left, and they'll definitely use at least some of those as placeholders inbetween the heavy-hitters. Whether as quick ports or actual remakes, that's to be seen, but even their relatively low effort full price ports of Wii U games are selling well, so no reason for them to leave those other titles in the dust. And if they decide to design this console with long-term compatibility in mind (the Switch successor having immediate backwards compatibility to all Switch games), then they really have the time to finetune their legacy.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Since i saw Shulk on Xenoblade 2 i knew this was happening.

There is no way they would let rot Xenoblade 1 as a Wii game after 2 popularity

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they updated the character faces - a simple re-texture wouldn't have cut it given the way the original ones stretched and warped across the geometry to create expressions.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
So I'm buying Xenoblade Chronicles again.

FOR THE FOURTH TIME.
Yeah, I got the Japanese release because I didn't thought Nintendo would release it here in Europe... I got the PAL edition, the New 3DS port (I don't even have a new 3DS but...), and then the Wii U digital release (Luckily the Wii save file was compatible).

Now, I need this remake. I'm sure they'll change/add a lot in the story and lore seeing they're including Bionis Shoulder and I'm sure XC2 story will impact this remake somehow.

I still want XCX, but it seems I'll need to wait. I wanna know what team is developing this, how many resources they need and how it's affecting other projects.

I hope Takahashi gives an interview soon to explain everything.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic, one of my hopes for the Switch now come true. And the character models are finally done justice too. They used to look so ugly even for the Wii.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it was easy enough to find a character designer for this (with regards to not a lot of time needed for investment). All the characters are already imagined after all and they just need someone to "re-imagine" them with a bit of update.

Or, for all we know Monolith just asked their modelers to go off what old artwork they had from the original and just said "model that in HD"