• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I know what these characters are like and my reading of the pic is based on the dynamic they have in the game and this part of the title screen you can unlock where Nia jumps Rex and ascerts dominance, if we wanna be pedantic about one short sequence vs another what is the reading here to you?

View: https://youtu.be/CvbliEAMMMY?t=50

I mean, I don't see how these are particularly comparable. The length of the scene isn't the point. I commented on the photo because it's got some very obvious connections to wider cultural context and tropes and invokes specific, centuries-old body language used in photography. I don't want to even try to break this clip down, not only because I don't have the knowledge base to do so, but because the narrative isn't using it to compress years of character relationships into a single, final point of reference.

Maybe that's part of what's getting lost here? That it's not just a tiny shot, it's what the game decided to present as the single, final point of reference for years of how these characters ended up. "Passive self insert male protagonist gets pushed around by more assertive hot ladies until finally getting them all at once and being portrayed in the power position at the end" is pretty much as blatantly running along sexist harem cliches as it gets.

Yeah except I'm basing my reading of the scene off of the personalities and what we know about the characters and you aren't. Not going to bother to reply anymore if this is the answer you give lol
I mean, I did cut out that sentence for a reason. You suggested that fictional characters can't or don't communicate themes, which is not how media literacy works. If that's not what you meant, then it's my bad.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
I mean, I did cut out that sentence for a reason. You suggested that fictional characters can't or don't communicate themes, which is not how media literacy works. If that's not what you meant, then it's my bad.
Yeah that isn't what I meant but actually looking at my reply to that post it looks like that and wording it that way was weird and looks dumb so that's my fault too.

Sorry about being kinda snippy I just don't see what others are but it's fine to have that kind of reading, it's not wrong

OP
OP
diakyu

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Watching some cutscenes now and "Your intuition is shit!" is gonna be a meme'd moment by the fanbase lmao

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Watching some cutscenes now and "Your intuition is shit!" is gonna be a meme'd moment by the fanbase lmao
the game just generally seems amazing from all the shit I've seen. Skimmed through the cutsenes for the first 3 chapters and the ending. Its genuinely some great shit

The cast all have some great chemistry with each other too

Last edited:

chadboban

May 27, 2020
the game just generally seems amazing from all the shit I've seen. Skimmed through the cutsenes for the first 3 chapters and the ending. Its genuinely some great shit

Not too mention isn't is lovely seeing a good chunk of the scenes have proper lip syncing, I'm so glad Monolith really stepped things up for this game.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Not too mention isn't is lovely seeing a good chunk of the scenes have proper lip syncing, I'm so glad Monolith really stepped things up for this game.
yeah they really stepped up their game, I've been deliberately only skimming everything so I can experience it all for myself firsthand, but from what I've seen really looking forward to N/M and D and Joran

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
eE5Doan.png

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021

Aye, from what I've seen it's lovely. I am actually one of those that liked XC2, but the overall changes to make it less shounen in a sense is appreciated.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I'm surprised the Lost numbers characters ended up being so important that they got the coveted Riku/Mannana tier party participation slot. I really do like the Fist girl so I'm glad about it

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Aye, from what I've seen it's lovely. I am actually one of those that liked XC2, but the overall changes to make it less shounen in a sense is appreciated.
same, I love XC2 myself, but XC3 is a different flavor of good that I equally appreciate. It might end up being better than 1 and 2, but I'd have to play myself to know for sure

Oct 25, 2017
the funny thing is, they probably just did less work in that regard actually. Its most likely just auto lipsynching tech, which is incredibly effective (and in an anime style game more effective than hand animating).

staff post - be cool and don't be dismissive

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There's an issue right now with multiple things, and we're putting a stop to them right now:

1) Men, don't try to mansplain away issues with the picture from the ending spoiler. It's obviously a male wish fulfilment thing, trying to say it isn't is silly.

2) In addition, nobody should be sniping at each other across threads. Consider this a reminder that such behavior is against the site's ToS and against any individual community thread's rules.

Any such stuff will be met with moderation.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
YBpG5M0.png

Love that they didn't take it out, they just made it way less common. This is from a sidequest, I imagine its one of the punchlines lol

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Also, and this is great to hear for immersion. There are some heroes that are temporary if they are actually doing plot stuff. You'll keep their class, but they won;t be available as party members all the time.

It would suck to be able to use Ethel while she is doing some important plot stuff, so glad this is the case

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
YBpG5M0.png

Love that they didn't take it out, they just made it way less common. This is from a sidequest, I imagine its one of the punchlines lol
i was surprised playing xc1 since it wasn't completely absent
i guess a lot of the complaint is at tora being annoying but i've always seen it framed as "nopon never said that in 1"

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I love that noah's secret Monado people thought would be super special was just Nopon forged lmao.

Also K seems like a great first antagonist, love the "your vaunted intuition is shit" line.

Also curious that he called the flame clocks a coalescence of the will to live, curious where that is going

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I love that noah's secret Monado people thought would be super special was just Nopon forged lmao.

Also K seems like a great first antagonist, love the "your vaunted intuition is shit" line.

Also curious that he called the flame clocks a coalescence of the will to live, curious where that is going
Der Wille zur Macht

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

I think the Consuls have a strong chance at ending up the flat out best Xeno antagonist crew.

The major ones all seem at worst very entertaining

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well Aionios means Eternity. Where's Blade of Eternity from? That youtuber's videos call it Lucky Seven. The Art is called Infinity Blade.

Lucky Seven is the Nopon Name, but Noah said he renamed it. Blade of Eternity is the name of the Art here, so i just assume thats the name of the Sword too.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I just caught K's intro I LOVE IT

"It's the big bad boss. boo!"

The fight against K is definitely the moment when the shackles come off and the game actually expects you to put in real effort to win it looks. It looks kind of crazy and a great way to showcase how much better the combat system is.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guess Millick fields are Part of Bioni's Leg from XB1

unknown.png

Same Guidstone with same Name as the one in XB1 on Gaur Plains

Vgorilla3774

Sep 21, 2020
So the class system is neat, but seems very constrained - at least here in chapter 2. I'm hoping it opens up a lot more because being able to create monster builds is definitely my jam. I think part of it, at least, is that you can only cross a very small number of arts/skills at first and the intro classes that everyone has don't really pair well with each other (e.g. the two tank classes you have are very different styles of tank so they don't really build on each other's strengths).

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry haven't read through this because I don't want too many spoilers, but I wanted to ask: Field Abilities and the 100s of mechanics XB2 have, are they back?

Like Pouch item, refining aux cores, leveling up field abilities, not being able to progress without certain field blades (in chapter 7 I got stuck because I couldn't leap off a thing without a certain level of Earth Mastery) etc.
Also do they shut up during combat? XB2 is a screaming match.

I loved XB2, but I HATED those mechanics and I just put it on very stupid easy so I could enjoy the story and not have to worry about leveling and delving into 4 different mechanics instead of just leveling up.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
How's this running on handheld?

I adore XBC2 (prolly my second favorite Switch game after BotW), but holy shit did it look(!) and run AWFUL when undocked.

I heard from the previews it's better… but i'm hopeful it's *a lot* better…

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How's this running on handheld?

I adore XBC2 (prolly my second favorite Switch game after BotW), but holy shit did it look(!) and run AWFUL when undocked.

I heard from the previews it's better… but i'm hopeful it's *a lot* better…

Thats Handheld Screenshots, Its running mostly locked at 30 HH. Docked the Framerate dropped for me a bit in some places already.
unknown.png

unknown.png

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Consuls seem like they may have an easy path to the best Xeno villain group if even K, the first real one you fight, is fun as hell