• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
For people playing now how does it looked docked. 2 was so blurry on my 55 inch lg oled. Was a pretty tough pill to swallow
I got my copy today, i just started, chapter 2 though. The chapter 2 map looks so beautiful on my 65 inch 1080p Led TV, i couldnt appreciate that in the first map because it had a low contrast due to the setting it was set on

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I will leave my final impressions after about 50 hours in. This is from a Xenogears fan, who has played every Xeno game at least twice or more.

I've been writing about and reviewing games now for about 6 years professionally, and at 39 I've been around the block, and I'm not necessarily jaded, but gaming rarely makes me FEEL excited while I'm playing them.

This is the first game in over ten years that I felt that spark. The feeling that nostalgia is so effective at bringing out of us, but WHILE playing this game. In the moment-to-moment gameplay, I just feel the hype, excitement and straight-up happiness roll over me and I can relax and be in the moment.

I honestly wasn't sure I could feel that way again, but I have with this game.
Beautiful, thanks for sharing

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I will leave my final impressions after about 50 hours in. This is from a Xenogears fan, who has played every Xeno game at least twice or more.

I've been writing about and reviewing games now for about 6 years professionally, and at 39 I've been around the block, and I'm not necessarily jaded, but gaming rarely makes me FEEL excited while I'm playing them.

This is the first game in over ten years that I felt that spark. The feeling that nostalgia is so effective at bringing out of us, but WHILE playing this game. In the moment-to-moment gameplay, I just feel the hype, excitement and straight-up happiness roll over me and I can relax and be in the moment.

Hoping takahashi san has reached xg plot quality level this time. Gameplay Wise It did with xb1 already imho

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
My 60 minute impressions so far:

- the portable performance is VASTLY improved, don't think there will be much complaints now

- game feels very polished and menu and UI are great

- combat feels like a hybrid of 1 and 2

- production values are high and cutscenes are great

- jumping and fighting while swimming is cool

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone send me the full versions of the OST tracks we've heard previews of? Don't wanna get spoiled by searching for them

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Poe's Law strikes again. I guess I missed the sarcasm.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
...sorry. He doubled down on blushy crushy.

I was, but also got wooshed. :D
OK now I'm really confused haha 😅
Doesn't seem impossible for romance elements to be something someone genuinely is excited to see in the game but it's all a matter of perspective.

Edit:
Should I give up on getting the Special Edition at this point? :(
It seems to be in higher demand than the Metroid Dread special edition, which apparently got a reprint, so it might come back at MSRP. It sucks that Nintendo bungled it so hard.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting pretty excited. Been staying pretty blind on this game, the impressions make it sound like it's right up my alley...

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
OK now I'm really confused haha 😅
Doesn't seem impossible for romance elements to be something someone genuinely is excited to see in the game but it's all a matter of perspective.

I'm very excited for a (hopefully well done) possible romance. Less XB2 and more…Gears? I don't know if any romance will reach Gears, but if it's closer to Gears over XB2, I'd be very very happy.

I'm invested. 🥰

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018

Saw your post on gamefaqs. Glad to hear the positive feelings from a Xenogears fan.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Nintendo orders are shipping on the 29th. So we're not getting our physical copies until early to mid next week.

Unfortunately that means if you want to play it day 1 you'll have to double dip on it digitally.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
It's really blurry on Switch. When I was playing there before dumping my game cartidge file and moving to Yuzu, it was definitely not great sitting anywhere close to my 55 inch lg oled.

I recommend sitting as far back from the screen as possible until the resolution looks good. For me, this was about a good 10-15 feet. At this distance the game looks great on the bigger screen. Just don't expect to be able to sit close to the screen and you'll be fine. 😀
This. I also have a 55inch OLED and it might look ok in some of the cutscenes but when out in the open area it's not good at all. Pretty blurry, Playable but blurry.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
!
Nintendo orders are shipping on the 29th. So we're not getting our physical copies until early to mid next week.

Unfortunately that means if you want to play it day 1 you'll have to double dip on it digitally.

I'll prolly just pick up a physical standard copy and then re-sell it/trade it when my CE arrives. Worth the ~$20 lost to play it right away.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Accusations of piracy
It's really blurry on Switch. When I was playing there before dumping my game cartidge file and moving to Yuzu, it was definitely not great sitting anywhere close to my 55 inch lg oled.

I recommend sitting as far back from the screen as possible until the resolution looks good. For me, this was about a good 10-15 feet. At this distance the game looks great on the bigger screen. Just don't expect to be able to sit close to the screen and you'll be fine. 😀

This. I also have a 55inch OLED and it might look ok in some of the cutscenes but when out in the open area it's not good at all. Pretty blurry, Playable but blurry.

This is why no one should pirate switch games to start with. Specially on steamdeck. I mean its a know issue that XC3 is blurry on the yueu emulator compared to the actual game. Even simple games like live a live work like garbage on the steamdeck.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh the wait is unbearable at this point, thank god I have Sunbreak waiting for me at home, but yeah work hours just go sooo slooooow :(

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

So they plan on totally botching this whole ordeal with the special edition. Thank you for the update. Midnight Thursday going into Friday release?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This is why no one should pirate switch games to start with. Specially on steamdeck. I mean its a know issue that XC3 is blurry on the yueu emulator compared to the actual game. Even simple games like live a live work like garbage on the steamdeck.
Why do you keep bringing up the Deck? They're talking about playing the game on Switch lol.

Blurriness on Yuzu has been fixed as of yesterday, just a heads up.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God, the leaked copies already tempted me enough, I don't want to have wait even longer than that... :(

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited for a (hopefully well done) possible romance. Less XB2 and more…Gears? I don't know if any romance will reach Gears, but if it's closer to Gears over XB2, I'd be very very happy.

I'm invested. 🥰
Agreed. I thought Xenoblade 2 did a well enough job with this for what it was going for, but it wasn't a very realistic or mature portrayal. From a certain point of view the essential "boy meets girl" theme they were going for is inherently limited in that way, because to an extent the entire game was just prelude to them being emotionally honest.

It's funny, because I still haven't played Xenogears, I just know most of the major plot beats and the more adult tone it aims for. And even with that, I just know that Gears treats romance more like an actual storytelling element and not an "end goal" like a lot of stories (but especially JRPGs) tend to.

So indeed, I hope XB3 matches up with the potential such a story can have. Having some real back and forth between characters and emotional connection besides "will they won't they" for most of the game would give the game's story a lot more room to explore territory it seems they've shyed away from for too long. Ultimately it doesn't have to be the core focus of the narrative, just treating romance maturely would be pretty interesting and something that's all too rare.

Edit:
That's funny, because I haven't posted on Gamefaqs in years. I see the post you're mentioning, people will just steal anything, even spoiler-free impressions haha.
That's so totally ridiculous. At that point, why not just make up anything you feel like saying? If you're already passing off someone else's thoughts as your own. It reminds me of the thread here where someone pointed out a whole OT that they made got reposted on a ResetEra clone. Apparently the site was made by a banned user who was salty.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Did reviewers get the day 1 patch cuz streets is saying even modded switches are crashing with the leaked copy.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I thought Xenoblade 2 did a well enough job with this for what it was going for, but it wasn't a very realistic or mature portrayal. From a certain point of view the essential "boy meets girl" theme they were going for is inherently limited in that way, because to an extent the entire game was just prelude to them being emotionally honest.

It's funny, because I still haven't played Xenogears, I just know most of the major plot beats and the more adult tone it aims for. And even with that, I just know that Gears treats romance more like an actual storytelling element and not an "end goal" like a lot of stories (but especially JRPGs) tend to.

So indeed, I hope XB3 matches up with the potential such a story can have. Having some real back and forth between characters and emotional connection besides "will they won't they" for most of the game would give the game's story a lot more room to explore territory it seems they've shyed away from for too long. Ultimately it doesn't have to be the core focus of the narrative, just treating romance maturely would be pretty interesting and something that's all too rare.

Yah. XB2 is a bit weird, because it is kind of a romance, but it's very platonic (which, yes, is probably a result of "boy meets girl" only being at the end). Then the idea that I'm honestly not sure if the game means for you to find it a romance between Rex and Pyra, or Rex and Mythra….. or Rex and Pyra and Mythra lol. Eeeeh.

But yeah. I'd really like to see a mature romance in this game. It doesn't need to be the focus, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's written well. 🤞

Also, play Gears someday! It's really very good, and it's one of the best romances in a game.

Last edited:

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I've a physical copy pre ordered from a local place so I am hoping it turns up Thursday.

Brushing up on my Xenogears knowledge, I have a feeling some of it is going to be relevant.

Oct 25, 2017
Yah. XB2 is a bit weird, because it is kind of a romance, but it's very platonic (which, yes, is probably a result of "boy meets girl" only being at the end). Then the idea that I'm honestly not sure if the game means for you to find it a romance between Rex and Pyra, or Rex and Mythra….. or Rex and Pyra and Mythra lol. Eeeeh.

But yeah. I'd really like to see a mature romance in this game. It doesn't need to be the focus, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's written well. 🤞
Yup, agreed on all counts. One could even argue Nia and Rex isn't completely thrown out the window, just heavily de-emphasized.

It really just comes down to me wanting them to actually commit to something and spring board from there. Even western RPGs that are generally considered more "mature"/less "juvenile" than JRPGs, like Mass Effect, tend to treat romance as a goal that is achieved and then mostly irrelevant, which is both unrealistic and unsatisfying as a player.

Obviously that comes down in large part due to it being optional in lots of western RPGs, but that's all the more reason I'd like to see JRPGs be more committal with that kind of thing, since they tend to focus on a single linear story path that the player only inhabits a role in rather than guiding through their choices.

Aaaanyways, bottom line, we're all just counting time until XB3 arrives. I was originally going to be too busy to play it right away so it was easier to put out of my mind, but now that my schedule is looking like it might be freed up soon it is harder and harder to ignore the fact that a new Xenoblade game is coming out in less than a week. That plus concerns about spoilers just ramps up my excitement/anxiety. Hoping I can just focus on the game as soon as it finally arrives. If only Nintendo would send the Special Editions out already..

Edit:
Any thoughts yet on the music?
Most things that I've heard seem to suggest it is a god tier OST. I think someone said it was the best they've heard since NieR Automata. Everything is subjective of course but I expect it to perhaps be the best executed component of the presentation, since technical issues can't really hold it back and otherwise Monolithsoft, Yasunori Mitsuda, Ace+, etc. have been on their A game for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.