• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My metric has since from last year been that if freaking Tales of Arise can get a 87 meta, a better JRPG should be able to beat that.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
My copy arrived yesterday and I have played the first 5 hours of the game. All I can say is this is everything I wanted and more. The fears of it being similar to XB2 are over... for now.
This sounds good to me.
Sorry to be a pain but are you playing in handheld or docked? Curious how well the image quality/dynamic scaling holds up?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% for emulators but emulator talk of a game that hasn't been officially released should probably not be allowed, its the same for Yuzu and Ryujin's official communities on Discord and stuff. Too often its dumbass pirates giving emu a bad name and why there's so much trolling on the other side of things when emu threads are made.

Hellstruck

Jun 29, 2022
It seems a day or two ago we had people updating us with their thoughts on the game but it's all fallen silent and the thread devolved into people talking about review scores.

Last edited:

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
It is one of the games ever made.

More seriously, it seems most impressions really like the beginning chapter(s). Including some people who profess to have been Xeno fans since Gears saying it matches the correct tone and styling of that to the point that they think it may surpass the Blade games in reaching Gears level. Obviously it could fall apart later on, but I've always found that Xenoblade games get better over the course of the story, so the start being perhaps the strongest yet is a good sign.
I've played the first 2 chapters and I'm not gonna lie I don't really see the comparison with Xenogears. I don't even mean that in a necessarily negative way and obviously am still quite early in the game but I don't think it's any more Gears-like than the first 2. If anything, I'd describe it as a sort of blend of XBC1 and 2's respective strengths.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds good to me.
Sorry to be a pain but are you playing in handheld or docked? Curious how well the image quality/dynamic scaling holds up?

I'm playing mostly docked. I did a full playthrough of Xenoblade 2 and Torna recently and the scaling seems to be better than on those games. But I think they applied some tricks to improve performance, because you can see some artifacts sometimes. I'm not an expert so I'm not sure exactly what was employed but between the two I prefer the performance and image quality in this game, even if perhaps it's not as detailed.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing mostly docked. I did a full playthrough of Xenoblade 2 and Torna recently and the scaling seems to be better than on those games. But I think they applied some tricks to improve performance, because you can see some artifacts sometimes. I'm not an expert so I'm not sure exactly what was employed but between the two I prefer the performance and image quality in this game, even if perhaps it's not as detailed.
Is there an option to rewatch cutscenes? XC2 had an option at the title screen that unlocked more cutscenes as you progressed.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played the first 2 chapters and I'm not gonna lie I don't really see the comparison with Xenogears. I don't even mean that in a necessarily negative way and obviously am still quite early in the game but I don't think it's any more Gears-like than the first 2. If anything, I'd describe it as a sort of blend of XBC1 and 2's respective strengths.
Sure thing. I was just paraphrasing one of the other people in this thread. I'm glad to hear it brings together the best of both worlds, that seems to have been at the core of this game's design document.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the impressions, appreciate it.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This game is really engaging in the opening hours.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I made the mistake of watching this Xenoblade Chronicles X video from Digital Foundry:

youtu.be

Xenoblade Chronicles X Wii U Tech Analysis/Frame-Rate Test

Is this the most technologically advanced Wii U title we've seen to date? John takes a closer look at this beautiful title.Read our full article: http://www....

This game looks incredible and I had no idea. Never played it back during the Wii U era. Why the hell hasn't Nintendo brought this to Switch? I swear it looks better then the new stuff in a lot of ways including scope of the land itself. Even seems to perform better lol and that's on old hardware. Weird. Now I want this on Switch so I can play it.

Also currently working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and eventually Torna) and I'm excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Has Nintendo ever put the second game on sale digitally? I'm working my way through the first game now and enjoying it.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Reading some of the posts from a few pages back, it seems like some people still struggle to accept that MonolithSoft doesn't make games for Playstation systems anymore.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
So I made the mistake of watching this Xenoblade Chronicles X video from Digital Foundry:

youtu.be

Is this the most technologically advanced Wii U title we've seen to date? John takes a closer look at this beautiful title.Read our full article: http://www....

This game looks incredible and I had no idea. Never played it back during the Wii U era. Why the hell hasn't Nintendo brought this to Switch? I swear it looks better then the new stuff in a lot of ways including scope of the land itself. Even seems to perform better lol and that's on old hardware. Weird. Now I want this on Switch so I can play it.

Also currently working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and eventually Torna) and I'm excited for Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

The game is the most polarising in the series and would need a lot of tweaks to make it play well. They might do it if 3's sales justify a high effort port but the energy is likely better spent on just making a new game

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

Xenoblade X's world design is GOAT level.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
The game is the most polarising in the series and would need a lot of tweaks to make it play well. They might do it if 3's sales justify a high effort port but the energy is likely better spent on just making a new game

the world design is sublime in it, but yeah the UI and overall UX of the game would need a decent overhaul.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xeno X is my favorite of the 3 and it's not even close tbh
ZZPRb2N.gif

I have (obvious) gripes, but it was the most fun to travel around, easily. A new shot at ITS style would be the best. It deserves better than the WiiU.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Er.

Don't know if you guys follow the thread about sexualized women in games, but they're currently posting spoilers from the ending. Sigh. Ignoring the thread for now.

I really don't normally care about people hating on the sexualized designs in Blade, because even though I mostly just roll my eyes at them (them as in the designs, not the people discussing the designs, if that wasn't clear), I get it.

But I'd really prefer if it NOT start until after the game is actually released? Hate all you want, but these are images from the end of the game taken from pirated copies of the game. At least discuss it in the leak thread.

Sorry, I really don't want to discourage people talking about this stuff, but I'm annoyed that a thread not about the end of the game…has end of the game spoilers and I'm trying to dodge them for XB3. :/

Heaven forbid people want to talk and bring light to gross sexualization in a game at the cost of spoilers. Also the post was properly spoiler tagged, so...

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
It looks awesome. How does the storytelling/cutscenes compare with the other Xenoblade games?
lmao

So, Xenoblade X, more than any other Xenoblade game, is one you play for the gameplay and exploration. It's one of the best open world games ever made when it comes to exploring everything and filling out your map. It is quite genuinely a fun game to aim for 100% completion, which can be said of only maybe a couple other open world games ever made. The game even keeps track of this by dividing the entire map into hexagons, with each space on the map representing a sidequest, optional boss, fast travel point to activate, or item cache. I've filled out the map 100% twice, the first time took me over 150 hours and the second time took around 120 hours, and I had a blast doing it both times.

The sidequests are really good. There's a bunch of neat lore that gets dropped in them, they vary wildly in tone from comedic to straight up horror, and they intersect in really neat ways. Some sidequests have multiple prerequisite sidequests and interlocking side plots, which lets them have some recurring characters/groups/places in neat ways.

But the main story is kind of not good. It mostly just meanders about because the entire plot is basically "we gotta find the ship where all the humans are stored" and...that's it, that's the whole game. It has some interesting hooks, but the main story literally ends right as it drops a huge "wtf" plotbomb on the player for a cliffhanger that is highly unlikely to ever be resolved.

The main character is a silent protagonist player avatar, and while there are a few hints in some sidequests that there is something more to you than meets the eye, this also goes unresolved.

Heaven forbid people want to talk and bring light to gross sexualization in a game at the cost of spoilers. Also the post was properly spoiler tagged, so...

There's some that aren't.

Sep 21, 2019
People are overselling the emulated version at this juncture, and I have spent most of the day on it. It needs more time in the oven. 60 FPS mod has major glitches, asides that it will run more like 40-50 FPS a lot of the time on even high-end PCs. The memory leak issue is a big nuisance. Performance problems with the high-resolution mod in Chapter 2 and beyond, which most people haven't gotten to. A couple of visual effects in the game are missing. I am halting my playthrough until at least some of these things get resolved.

Agreed.

I have no performance issues at all in Chapter 2 with the high resolution mod you can download directly from emuSAK. The game is running almost flawlessly with Yuzu.

Only issue I've seen are missing effects on husks.

Also, after adding a 32gb page file in addition to my 32 gb of RAM, I can play with no crashes. Just played for 3 hours straight, with only very occasional slowdowns here and there after 2 hours of play.

Using Special K for HDR works perfectly and does not impact performance at all.

3090 ti
I7-10700k
32 GB RAM
Game installed to SSD and page file on SSD

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Not my issue with it, as mentioned multiple times. Okay, sorry, being less antagonistic with this. I just didn't expect it in a thread outside the leak thread. That's all. I expect people to discuss it, and will probably join in on that specific thing…after it's released!

Take it to the spoiler thread. 🙃

✌️

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Alright thanks for the feedback on Xenoblade Chronicles X. Some interesting details I didn't know about the game. I do have a copy of the Wii U version should I ever want to check it out for myself. In the meantime I'll focus on the main series available on Switch.

Do we know how many chapters are in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yet?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
the world design is sublime in it, but yeah the UI and overall UX of the game would need a decent overhaul.

Plus other feature like reworking affinity missions. Some kind of phone menu for party selection so you don't have to find individual characters.

They'd also need to rework more side missions into the main story path

Edit: X is also my favourite Xenoblade game but it's the type of game where you will love it if you love the world and you'll know about 30 mins in.

You put up with a lot of it's a place you just like existing

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Plus other feature like reworking affinity missions. Some kind of phone menu for party selection so you don't have to find individual characters.

They'd also need to rework more side missions into the main story path

yeah, it would require a lot of work, the gamepad as a second screen was very integral to the game.

I'd also like them to fix the fact that vehicles just pass through you in NLA

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it would require a lot of work, the gamepad as a second screen was very integral to the game.

I'd also like them to fix the fact that vehicles just pass through you in NLA
It is very funny how the scope of the game means that certain things just sort of fall apart if you poke at them. Like how nothing in the game that moves has any collision detection (this is probably for the sake of the robots just as much as it is for performance).

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
It is very funny how the scope of the game means that certain things just sort of fall apart if you poke at them. Like how nothing in the game that moves has any collision detection (this is probably for the sake of the robots just as much as it is for performance).

hahahaha yeah, i bounced of the game the first time i tried it after an hour or so a couple of years back. Finally returned to it this year and ended up putting 150hrs into it- the world exploration sucked me in- and the Skells were amazing.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I hope you haven't gone to sleep because you NEED to remove this. You're in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.