• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Don't talk shit about that beautiful mane, the pompadour mullet is the only redeeming feature in that design! New one looks fantastic too, much improved.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It is unusual for Vandhams to share so much in common visually and have the same voice actor, though.
9m5xr94.png
X58Ctt1.png

L6IHDDP.png
8IUbcZ0.png

XRgoJLo.png
sapzNEB.png

He's basically a negative image human version of XC2 Vandham with more facial hair and an eyepatch.

I'd argue that both Vanderkam's look preeeeetty dang similar, too. But I think this mostly likely to be a member of the same family, or someone who was inspired by 2's Vandham like how he was inspired by a folklore hero (whom he also took his name from) in his childhood.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This looks… surprisingly clean (graphically) for a Switch game?

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It seriously looks like intentionally bad character creation. I get a face tattoo character being a cool idea visually...but....wat. Dude's face is LITERALLY the colour of grapes. 🍇
X58Ctt1.png

Also, I hate being this mean, but as great a character as he was Vandhan from XC2 is one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. Pompadour mullet? Belts? A.... I don't even fucking know: cargo pants shirt???!! It's all so extra.... 😅

XRgoJLo.png

I love-hate this tradition to go all out on Vandham designs. xD
He looks like he's wearing a particularly gaudy birthday cake.

Xenomiggs

Nov 8, 2017
Miami, FL
Waaaay to much XB2 slander in this thread thread for mine but yeah super stoked on this I had a smile during the whole trailer. Loved 1 and 2 and this is looking better than both.

Exactly, waaaay too much. I've seen words like "dogshit", "abhorrent", "trash", "embarrassing" and I can't help but laugh at how intense the XC2 anti-design team is, lol. Chill.

But anywhooo... Can't wait for this masterpiece. XC2 is probably my favorite Switch game ever and this will probably be even better. I can't wait to enjoy another delicious XC soundrack. <3

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I absolutely adored XC1, and the trailer made me really excited for 3. That said even though i've given it multiple shots I just actively disliked XC2. ATM I think id rather pick up XCDE and replay that than give 2 another try. But because the three games seem to be more connected than I anticipated are there any good YT videos that explain the story and characters of XC2 as well as nifty lore bits for Xeno as a whole?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we basically have veered a little into the bland territory, not super bland, but SMT bland. I suppose the hate oversteered the ship a little too much.
Apart from the boob on pyra and mythra I did enjoy much more the main character design from xeno 2

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it pretty much 100% confirmed that Xenogears Vanderkaum is a reincarnation of Xenosaga Vanderkam? So wouldn't it stand to reason that all the over Vans are also reincarnations of the same soul?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I absolutely adored XC1, and the trailer made me really excited for 3. That said even though i've given it multiple shots I just actively disliked XC2. ATM I think id rather pick up XCDE and replay that than give 2 another try. But because the three games seem to be more connected than I anticipated are there any good YT videos that explain the story and characters of XC2 as well as nifty lore bits for Xeno as a whole?
You can read the Xenoblade Chronicles Wiki, which contains a ton of information about the story between XB1 and XB2.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'd argue that both Vanderkam's look preeeeetty dang similar, too. But I think this mostly likely to be a member of the same family, or someone who was inspired by 2's Vandham like how he was inspired by a folklore hero (whom he also took his name from) in his childhood.

Maybe Minoth completed the play about him and that inspired that fellow.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
It seriously looks like intentionally bad character creation. I get a face tattoo character being a cool idea visually...but....wat. Dude's face is LITERALLY the colour of grapes. 🍇
X58Ctt1.png

Also, I hate being this mean, but as great a character as he was Vandhan from XC2 is one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. Pompadour mullet? Belts? A.... I don't even fucking know: cargo pants shirt???!! It's all so extra.... 😅

XRgoJLo.png

I love-hate this tradition to go all out on Vandham designs. xD
Vandham/Vanderkam in Xeno series game is eternal, forever cursed to be ugly

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I am expecting extremely heavy Xenogears callbacks regarding the plot. Especially since we appear to be starting the same way.
The two warring nations ever have very similar names to their gears counterparts

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am expecting extremely heavy Xenogears callbacks regarding the plot. Especially since we appear to be starting the same way.
The two warring nations ever have very similar names to their gears counterparts

I would love to see the Xenogears connections made more explicit. Square seems to be more open to using Xenogears as an IP lately, maybe Nintendo could work out some kind of deal.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think the blade setup in XC2 allowed them to include Kos-Mos in a cool way. She could be there, have her own little story, but not be significant to the story. The gacha system gave them that flexibility.

How do you bring in older characters if, presumably, that's not there? People will just wonder who they are.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there's gonna be any gacha this time since the Blade characters seems to not have anyone that would be their drivers and operate independently.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The blades in XC2 had some really cool lore behind them, so I'm excited to see how they evolve that further.

How their evolutionary process has developed following the events of XC2 will be interesting.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes and if you watched the trailer you got spoiled hard.

I'm kinda torn on how to feel about that TBH. The press and a lot of hints both in-game and out definitely want these stories connected, but ...yeah that sorta feels like it's letting out spoilers. I guess it's more about the journey>destination?

Monolith soft just get environment design

The only thing that remotely holds back these games visually is resolution.

Look at how well this holds up at 4k, compare that to Pokemon Arceus

Honestly. For folks with open world fatigue, I think the bigger problem is few games really going in on level design. It's way more than designing a big field, and I love how XC has always tried to create unique areas even within unique areas (XCX especially which did it for such a huuuuge map)

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Instead of getting the best game in the series - Xenoblade Chronicles X, we just get a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. That's some bullshit.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Hope the date holds, never heard of XB until I got my Switch and I've played through XB2 and the DLC at least twice.. Remains my most played Switch game, and liked it more than BoTW which is a no-no for most of the world...

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Back in the Wii era a friend lent me his copy of XC, I really liked the game but I couldn't finish it before I had to return it, But after finishing XC2 more than a year ago I could not be more hyped for this!

I'll try to get a copy of the remaster of the first game since apparently it will be important for the plot of 3 right?

Agreed.

Kinda reminds me of Yuri's true knight look from Tales of Vesperia.
100% my first thought before all the SMT comparisons came in xD
It seems I wasn't the only one, yeah it reminded me of Yuri's knight outfit or his costume for Tales of Asteria but with Lloyd's color scheme lol
Kq0TCTC.jpg

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Back in the Wii era a friend lent me his copy of XC, I really liked the game but I couldn't finish it before I had to return it, But after finishing XC2 more than a year ago I could not be more hyped for this!

I'll try to get a copy of the remaster of the first game since apparently it will be important for the plot of 3 right?
Yes, and even more specifically the plot of Future Perfect (the add-on that comes with the Definitive Edition) will probably be important to 3.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and even more specifically the plot of Future Perfect (the add-on that comes with the Definitive Edition) will probably be important to 3.
Noted, thanks!
At least I have until September to get the game and finish it. How about Torna though? I have never played that, should I play that one too or will the main story of 2 be enough?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Noted, thanks!
At least I have until September to get the game and finish it. How about Torna though? I have never played that, should I play that one too or will the main story of 2 be enough?
Torna is great and I would definitely recommend it, but I don't think it will be critical for understanding Xenoblade 3. It's a prequel to Xenoblade 2 and just helps flesh out that story more.

Status
Not open for further replies.