• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about this and.. I don't remember any really distinct species being used.. especially as party members. I mean, most of what we get are all humanoid - like.

icG6thUGrZ6XrobcNBT4hDVuTdC6SYjS.jpg

Xenosaga-remaster-trilogy-1280x720.png

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If humanoid aliens don't count, isn't that the case for essentially all space JRPGs? I'm trying to think of JRPGs with non-humanoid aliens as party members, and I can't think of any.
I'm totally cool with that though. I prefer party members to be human like. They can go crazy with enemy designs.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In Star Ocean you spend most of your time on underdeveloped medieval planets not actually in Space

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure alien species were never intended to be a priority with Xenosaga.
In Star Ocean you spend most of your time on underdeveloped medieval planets not actually in Space

There is literally one game in that entire series that makes good on the promise of being a space opera (SO4), and no one would recommend playing that for story or character writing.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
You clearly haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X.

X is a game all about meeting a ton of different aliens. There are almost a dozen species of alien in Xenoblade X is you include some of the enemy-only ones. Half the sidequests in the game involve dealing with alien culture, too.

Also, Star Ocean is packed to the gills with aliens. They just all look similar to humans because Star Ocean is more like Star Trek than Star Wars. The main protagonist of Star Ocean 1 is an alien, while Claude is the only human in Star Ocean 2.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In Star Ocean the space stuff is just background noise. And then a videogame lol

In Xenogears there are aliens, remember Chu Chu? She died for our sins.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
You clearly haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X.

X is a game all about meeting a ton of different aliens. There are almost a dozen species of alien in Xenoblade X is you include some of the enemy-only ones. Half the sidequests in the game involve dealing with alien culture, too.

Also, Star Ocean is packed to the gills with aliens. They just all look similar to humans because Star Ocean is more like Star Trek than Star Wars. The main protagonist of Star Ocean 1 is an alien, while Claude is the only human in Star Ocean 2.

i don't count aliens that look like humans as aliens. that's just lazy imo

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Considering aliens doesn't exist, these 2 are more realistic than most space scifi out there.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The Xeno games have the Nopons and Chus, which is something at least. I do agree on the overall point though. Very few space-themed games fully utilise that aspect. It becomes even more dire if you're looking for ones that don't look head-swapped humans. Indie JRPG Cosmic Star Heroine did deliver on that front though. You had multiple alien party members, and even a cool gross ant-like thing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The first hour of Star Ocean 4 tries to sell it. You end up facing off against actual aliens while exploring, and your guns can't get through their shields (the standard 'the shield is built to repel fast projectiles and energy weapons, only slow medieval-style weapons can get through'), so end up resorting to swords and bows etc. There's some horrible-looking alien molluscs as bosses. Sadly, after that it becomes the usual tropey bullshit and a party of cliches on medieval worlds, as the shitty anime stuff like annoying kid characters and 'humanoid with wings/cat ears/pointy ears' crap takes over. Which is a real shame as the opening setup had so much promise.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
1fd

(should be Tatsu since only XBX is reaaally space-themed but shh, who cares about Tatsu)

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, feels like you're just moving goal posts. In most popular fiction that contains aliens, most species of aliens are humanoid. The Xeno series are filled with aliens of all sorts. And there have definitely been party members that fit the bill:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-future-connected-kino-nene.jpg

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best game. How it deals with humanity having to live together with different alien species on a new planet is also one of the most interesting parts of the game.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
For star ocean they're technically aliens just not your typical sci-if aliens of games like Mass effect. For star ocean 5 it takes place one 1 planet for like 98% of the story(same with 1&2) with one or two people being from another planet.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Star Ocean should probably have more non humanoid alien creatures in it somewhere but "Xeno series" (which is a terrible description for multiple series of vastly different styles, one of which isn't even meant to be space-faring beyond the purposes of humans in the first place) has pretty much zero need with that and they wouldn't have any place considering what the story's actually about in Gears and Saga.

Xenoblade X has all the aliens any of them need.

Your Star Ocean aliens are cat and bird people and also some bugs.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
You need to be playing Xenoblade X fucking NOW
Let the Sawano into your heart
Also, i remember being so fucking pumped up for SO 5, it was basically 3 BUT WITH 7 PARTY MEMBERS IN BATTLE, god what happened to it

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The main cast of Cosmic Star Heroine features a giant sentient insect, a purple blob thing with a fish tank helmet, and a green reptilian(?) with nine eyes.

Ra890b962ddead286980d77219835cfc3

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Xeno means alien. Gears, Saga, and X take place off Earth so monsters are aliens. Chu chu and Nopons are aliens. X has lots of intelligent alien races.

Technically the point of the Xeno series is that the humans are the aliens.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Calling Star Ocean "space themed" is being generous.

Xeno lacks of aliens was actually on purpose (Either Saga or Gears imply life steamed so "fast" because of the Zohar's presence, iirc)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak to those games, but I'm tired of these bipedal human-looking aliens we see in most games that have "non human" characters.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Like everyone said Xenoblade X has tons of them, and you could say Xenogears too
in both games humanity is stuck on a whooooole different planet (kinda)
so it's weird to use Xeno as an example when 2/7 has aliens, 2/5 when you count only those who have some space element in their lore

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What about the Gnosis?
Are they "really" aliens though? Not to mention you don't have any interaction with them other than them being random enemies.
The gnosis are ghosts. They reject the collective unconscious so they wander around lost.

Xeno lacks of aliens was actually on purpose (Either Saga or Gears imply life steamed so "fast" because of the Zohar's presence, iirc)
Exactly. That's the point of the story.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP should play Xeno X is the moral of this story. Wish more of the alien races had been available as party members, but this is what we'll get in the sequel right Monolith? RIGHT!?

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there a popular theory in sci fi where most intelligent beings are humanoid because of some convergent evolution and how humanoids are the most efficient things in terms of energy consumption/survivability/intelligence ?
X is clearly an outlier though in terms of alien aliens compared to the others and even then are there playable alien aliens in your party?
Yes

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
X is clearly an outlier though in terms of alien aliens compared to the others and even then are there playable alien aliens in your party?
Having played X this question is very funny.

Gears has Chu Chu. And if Nopons are aliens in XC1 and 2 then there are also alien party members in those games.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is Xenoblade Chronicles really about space though? Especially when compared to Star Ocean. X, sure, which features a ton of alien races, but 1 and 2 less so, although they have fairly heavy sci-fi elements.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Science fiction doesn't have to have aliens to be considered science fiction. That's like saying a fantasy game has to always have a mythical creatures or be set in a medieval world to be considered fantasy.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
The main cast of Cosmic Star Heroine features a giant sentient insect, a purple blob thing with a fish tank helmet, and a green reptilian(?) with nine eyes.

If this is now also general thread about "cool playable Alien looking Aliens" I'm here to preach the joy of Sword of the Stars: The Pit.
It also features some more humanoid looking playable Aliens and of course several human characters.

yYFeWxp.png

7agSPGe.png

prxSVyF.png

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
There are plenty of aliens that aren't intelligent beyond the predator/hostile monster types. Often the regular mobs you fight are technically aliens.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
phantasystarcharacters.jpg

Phantasy Star IV has a blue beast (and even the female beasts look that way *gasp*), a green alien cracking lame jokes, and other more humanoid aliens like space elfs and androids.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The different cultured alien races ins Xenoblade X is WONDERFUL, it eclipsed the game's main story. Try it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Is Xenoblade Chronicles really about space though? Especially when compared to Star Ocean. X, sure, which features a ton of alien races, but 1 and 2 less so, although they have fairly heavy sci-fi elements.
That depends on what you consider space. Do you consider trans-dimensional to be space? XC1 takes place entirely on an alien world like Gears does. Regardless, alien just means foreign, which encompasses trans-dimensional beings.

The important thing with the Xeno series is that humanity is exiled from Earth and are aliens in another world, which is the case in every game... though XC2 subverts that a bit.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I'mma keep i real with you chief: If humans achieve space travel and meet other sapient species, 99.9% of the time they're going to be bipedal humaniods maybe with some extra features here or there depending on what they evolved from and their environment. This form is the optical way of existing with a big thinky brain without being a giant brain in a vat.

Also it's easier to just edit the basis humanoid model.