• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely not true. They had a preview build up and running for press to see at XO19: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-showcases-xbox-project-xcloud-ios-prototype-x019

I'm also only on iOS so am also waiting! Considered trying to snag a cheap android device in the meantime but I'll try to just wait it out. Hopefully it comes next spring or something.

That's the first I've ever seen of that and sort of highlights how they're really keeping iOS as a whole under wraps. I think that's the first time we've seen xCloud on an iOS period.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Console Streaming alpha for the last 7 days or so and it's generally very good. it's obviously streaming over wifi, like I wouldn't ever mistake it for a native experience, but it's pretty solid, relatively low input lag, looks good, etc. I've mostly just been doing Red Dead Online daily challenges on it... login briefly for a few mins, bang out a challenge or two, call it a night.

I'm using my Xbox One S for the streaming, so it's slow to load the game... considerably slower than my X1X (but I don't want to put that on the alpha channel). But visual fidelity is fine for a ~5.5" screen or whatever.

It's very sensitive to either 5ghz or 2.4ghz wireless, I suspect 2.4ghz is better but not 100% sure. My house has very thick old walls, horsehair plaster and in some places double plaster + sheetrock, so the wifi travel is poor in my house despite a mesh network (google wifi). It makes a significant difference if I'm close to one of the mesh access points, like the difference between being playable or unplayable.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using my Xbox One S for the streaming, so it's slow to load the game... considerably slower than my X1X (but I don't want to put that on the alpha channel). But visual fidelity is fine for a ~5.5" screen or whatever.

You can put your X in the Omega channel if you want console streaming from it now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely not true. They had a preview build up and running for press to see at XO19: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-showcases-xbox-project-xcloud-ios-prototype-x019

I'm also only on iOS so am also waiting! Considered trying to snag a cheap android device in the meantime but I'll try to just wait it out. Hopefully it comes next spring or something.

i've long feared that xCloud wouldn't come to iOS because of Apple's storefront restrictions limiting competing services, even though the markets should be considered different things. I'd prefer to stream to my iPad than my phone, even the 8" screen of the iPad Mini would be a big improvement over my small phone screen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are most definitely brilliant people at Microsoft working on streaming, but the point I was trying to make is that what we've seen today from Stadia is what we should expect from game streaming in 2019. It's going to be a very mixed bag, and there is no way around physics and internet connections being imperfect.
This biggest issues with Stadia have nothing to do with latency.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
i've long feared that xCloud wouldn't come to iOS because of Apple's storefront restrictions limiting competing services, even though the markets should be considered different things. I'd prefer to stream to my iPad than my phone, even the 8" screen of the iPad Mini would be a big improvement over my small phone screen.
By all indications it is coming to iOS. I would imagine maybe never in Beta form though give the store's restriction on testing apps. May just have to wait until we are closer to launch, whenever that may be. I'll hold out hope for now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You can put your X in the Omega channel if you want console streaming from it now.

I had a problem with my last Xbox One X that was likely a graphics chip failure but some techs thought it could have been an issue with the console being on the preview program. Even outside of that total hardware failure I used to get inconsistent enough behavior on the console (like not being able ot turn it off, or having to hard reset it like once a week) that when I got my new one (replaced the dead one w/ warranty) I decided I'd just keep it off preview program

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
There are most definitely brilliant people at Microsoft working on streaming, but the point I was trying to make is that what we've seen today from Stadia is what we should expect from game streaming in 2019. It's going to be a very mixed bag, and there is no way around physics and internet connections being imperfect.
There are numerous people in here telling you how its working and they are impressed and some cancelling Stadia after using this. What exactly are you getting at?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What difference do these channels make?

As of August 2019, the current Xbox Insider rings are:

• Alpha Skip-Ahead – An "invite only" ring that receives preview builds of a future Xbox One OS release.
    • "Future" release means these builds may not be released to GA for some time. As such, they may contain different features than other rings.
  • Alpha – An "invite-only" ring that receives preview builds of the nextupcoming Xbox One OS release.
    • This means this is a preview version of the build that will be delivered to the general audience (GA) next.
    • Alpha receives a preview release of the next upcoming build before any other ring.
  • Beta– An open ring to Xbox Insiders with 3 or more months tenure, with a level 5 or higher in the program.
    • Beta receives the next public release of an Xbox One OS starting at some point later than Alpha.
    • Once Beta receives a build, the build is typically released that same week Alpha receives them.
  • Delta – An open ring to Xbox Insiders with 1 or more months tenure, with a level 2 or higher in the program.
  • Omega – An open ring to anyone who would like to receive system updates and features shortly before they release to the GA.
news.xbox.com

All About Xbox Insider Preview Rings - Xbox Wire

All about the Xbox Insider Preview Rings: In June of 2018, we announced the addition of the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring to our existing Xbox One Update...

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
As of August 2019, the current Xbox Insider rings are:

• Alpha Skip-Ahead – An "invite only" ring that receives preview builds of a future Xbox One OS release.
    • "Future" release means these builds may not be released to GA for some time. As such, they may contain different features than other rings.
  • Alpha – An "invite-only" ring that receives preview builds of the nextupcoming Xbox One OS release.
    • This means this is a preview version of the build that will be delivered to the general audience (GA) next.
    • Alpha receives a preview release of the next upcoming build before any other ring.
  • Beta– An open ring to Xbox Insiders with 3 or more months tenure, with a level 5 or higher in the program.
    • Beta receives the next public release of an Xbox One OS starting at some point later than Alpha.
    • Once Beta receives a build, the build is typically released that same week Alpha receives them.
  • Delta – An open ring to Xbox Insiders with 1 or more months tenure, with a level 2 or higher in the program.
  • Omega – An open ring to anyone who would like to receive system updates and features shortly before they release to the GA.
news.xbox.com

All About Xbox Insider Preview Rings - Xbox Wire

All about the Xbox Insider Preview Rings: In June of 2018, we announced the addition of the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring to our existing Xbox One Update...

Oh, for Xcloud I just signed up on there website. I don't want to be an insider.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for Xcloud I just signed up on there website. I don't want to be an insider.

Ok, so if you want to do console streaming, at the very least you would put your console into the Omega ring which is essentially the "we're about to push this to everyone" ring.

As of right now, the xCloud preview is just a sign up like you mentioned and doesn't require you to own any of the games or have Live/Game Pass in order to access everything including multiplayer features. With them going wider at some point next year, it'll be interesting to hear how well it works in countries like India.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Ok, so if you want to do console streaming, at the very least you would put your console into the Omega ring which is essentially the "we're about to push this to everyone" ring.

As of right now, the xCloud preview is just a sign up like you mentioned and doesn't require you to own any of the games or have Live/Game Pass in order to access everything including multiplayer features. With them going wider at some point next year, it'll be interesting to hear how well it works in countries like India.
Oh I see, so console streaming won't work for ppl in the Xcloud streaming preview, they also have to be a omegla insider?

Oct 28, 2019
Games play great for the most part and look good. The biggest problem is the small screen size of a phone. Both xcloud and console streaming have been pretty satisfactory for me. Funny how my xcloud invite lands today....

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
What has more impact, your upload or download?

You mentioned you're on 350Mbps down, which is 7 times faster than what I'm on, and about 14 times the minimum requirement for a 4k Netflix stream. And yet it still felt laggy? Are all the poor aussie nbn plebs left behind here?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seemed like a while ago when Microsoft was first developing their streaming stuff they were working on a system where some of the processing could be offloaded to the local client to reduce latency. They had a video showing it. Is it possible they still eventually move to something like that, or is it safer to assume it'll just be regular game streaming into the future?

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
It seemed like a while ago when Microsoft was first developing their streaming stuff they were working on a system where some of the processing could be offloaded to the local client to reduce latency. They had a video showing it. Is it possible they still eventually move to something like that, or is it safer to assume it'll just be regular game streaming into the future?

You mean this?

I feel since its offloading to the local client. This would suit Xbox Consoles more, since XCloud games are Xbox console games so they are developed natively on the console. However for Mobile and PC they would most likely rely on regular Streaming because the games aren't developed natively on PC and Mobile.

But I believe this tech is being used in Microsoft Flight simulator, where there'a a base version with less detail but offline, but Online Streaming adds more complex elements like weather, AI and higher detail elements.

But this could be used in Xbox One X, where there's a less detailed native version that is playable but Xcloud adds the streams the more detailed elements. The XB1S would most rely on full streaming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You mean this?

I feel since its offloading to the local client. This would suit Xbox Consoles more, since XCloud games are Xbox console games so they are developed natively on the console. However for Mobile and PC they would most likely rely on regular Streaming because the games aren't developed natively on PC and Mobile.

But I believe this tech is being used in Microsoft Flight simulator, where there'a a base version with less detail but offline, but Online Streaming adds more complex elements like weather, AI and higher detail elements.

Yup, that was the video I was thinking of!

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
How exactly does one "nail" streaming games over the internet in 2019? We've seen a very clear indication of what the brilliant people at google were able to achieve. Do you think Microsoft is going to do much better than that?

Absolutely. Microsoft is all in on gaming, and gaming hardware. Have been for a very long time.

Kind of feels like Google is in for shits and giggles. Not really that nonchalant, but they aren't a company known for gaming.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I've tried it with console streaming and regular streaming. Tried them both at home and at work connected to a 5ghz router. In all instances I was surprised at how well this works. Have not tried it over cellular yet. When doing the console streaming it was cool how the game picked up exactly where you left of when switching from one to the other.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Tried this out the other day and it didn't work very well for me with my Android 7.0 phone. The XB1 controller I eventually got to sync via BT wasn't mapped correctly, so I couldn't actually play games. Tried to play Rad and Hitman and could start them and get in the game, but couldn't do anything because the right stick didn't work and pause was on one of the shoulder buttons that made it hard to play. I'd appreciate the ability to remap the controller to make sure everything is working correctly. The streams were also not great, but I think that's more due to my wifi and my phone than the service itself. I'll have to look into seeing if there are USB cables to let me plug a controller directly into my phone to make the experience easier and better.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Tried this out the other day and it didn't work very well for me with my Android 7.0 phone. The XB1 controller I eventually got to sync via BT wasn't mapped correctly, so I couldn't actually play games. Tried to play Rad and Hitman and could start them and get in the game, but couldn't do anything because the right stick didn't work and pause was on one of the shoulder buttons that made it hard to play. I'd appreciate the ability to remap the controller to make sure everything is working correctly. The streams were also not great, but I think that's more due to my wifi and my phone than the service itself. I'll have to look into seeing if there are USB cables to let me plug a controller directly into my phone to make the experience easier and better.

Out of curiosity, have you updated the firmware for your Xbox controller? They've pushed out a few updates recently in regards Android connectivity and such that might help out.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, have you updated the firmware for your Xbox controller? They've pushed out a few updates recently in regards Android connectivity and such that might help out.
Yeah, it was updated. Checked that before trying it out. It initially gave me a "passcode failed" error code when trying to connect it, but I used an app that helped make it work and I'm guessing that might've borked the controller mapping. Still, I think it would be useful for the app to offer that functionality anyway instead of assuming there will never be any issues.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WWE 2K20 and I just spent some time together on xCloud. XCloud did it no favors. At all. But it saved me wasting time downloading it and uninstalling it.

Oct 26, 2017
Xcloud to me has more appeal, simply because it offers more benefits compared to Stadia. It's a service on top, an extra convenience when you want it, but you aren't at the mercy of your bloody ISPs at all times just to access your content.

Still it would at best constitute a curious little extra on top rather than the main way I'd consume games.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
tried it one it first started, wasn't the best of experiences on mobile data. Played on an s10+ and halo and gears felt too small for me. ki was ok tho.

is it still limited to mobile devices or can you stream on pc? (was that ever a thing?)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Ok, I did something crazy. I am playing through Ace Combat 7 (Great game so far. I had no interest, but now that I'm playing it, it's crept up onto my GOTY list). I too found the screen a bit small to see all the IFF markers in game, so I actually... cast my phone screen with xCloud through my Chrome Cast onto my TV lol. It introduces a bit more delay (actually more than xCloud itself does) and makes the quality a bit worse.. but, all in all? Completely playable and not bad at all (provided all the wireless holds up lol). I am not the average consumer nor do I represent the super hardcore on this website, but I for one and pleasantly surprised with the overall usability of this product haha. Looking forward to full release.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I played KI on a 4G connection and i couldn't believe how well it worked. Literally no input lag. I was really impressed.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
tried it one it first started, wasn't the best of experiences on mobile data. Played on an s10+ and halo and gears felt too small for me. ki was ok tho.

is it still limited to mobile devices or can you stream on pc? (was that ever a thing?)

Streaming to Windows 10 is coming next year... they just announced it at X019

Jul 4, 2018
Received an invite to Xcloud on Stadia launch day hilariously enough (and probably intentional)

It works pretty nice, enjoying AC7 and Tekken on it

Nov 1, 2017
I also got an invite today in what i assume is a wonderfully petty move against the shitshow that is Stadia Launch. I played a quick few games before i have to get ready for work, will give it a proper go later. I went to 2 of my most played games so i could compare it: Killer Instinct and Ori & The Blind Forest.

First off, i'm amazed it works as well as it does. You can definitely feel the slight delay, especially when you have that muscle memory to go on from playing it locally. Because of that KI, while very playable, just felt a bit "off". That game, as you can imagine from a fighting game, has some very precise timing needed for things like combos and combo breakers. I would react to stuff in the same way that i was used to on console and it just wasn't quite fast enough to have it feel like a local gaming experience. In that sense it's an interesting concept but not one i would want to try again.

Now Ori on the other hand is a bit more forgiving and in that game i got used to the slight difference in the responsiveness of the controls. I was happily dashing around the world doing my thing and this is the kind of game i could easily see myself playing on Xcloud. You do sort of automatically adjust to the experience. While obviously if i have the choice of playing it on my phone when my console is right there, well, that's never going to happen. But i tell you what, i'm due to go visit my parents soon where i normally need to bring a laptop full of downloaded TV to watch (or my Switch) but now i will be able to happily be able to take a 50+ Xbox library with me and that is going to be a godsend.

There are certain slower paced games that i could easily see myself playing on my lunch break perhaps. And something like Sea of Thieves i can tell would work great with Xcloud. From my brief first impressions its surprisingly good, especially considering it's in beta. I will personally always see this as an additional way to access my games library, not my main method, even so i've gone from being vaguely disinterested on the idea to strangely excited at the potential possibilities. Never thought i would say that.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it in London and it had very low input lag. There were occasional graphical artifacts but not big enough to break immersion or gameplay. For a tech so far away from the official launch still it seems to be in excellent shape.