• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Awww my Android controller doesn't work so how I have to order a grip for the Xbox controller.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you use full screen on phone ? Or you have black bar on side ? I know it would be a zoom in but still curious.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Works on the Android app but I can't activate it until I get to home and turn on my Xbox which seems weird.
You need to run a network test on the console before starting.

You should only need to run that the one time though.

Anyway, gave Apex Legends a go on my home network and it was buttery smooth. A shame my elite v1 isn't bluetooth, I miss my paddles!

I travel a lot with work so this will be very useful for playing games on the go. Hopefully it is stable over 4g or fast hotel internet.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017

For those curious, this is what it looks like on a Note 9.

Edit: the poor bit rate quality is more to do with the recording app and streamable compression. I can tell you it is faultless on the actual screen.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Got in. Gears 5 is maybe not the best game to test this on because the movement seems to have some small delay. Killer Instinct seemed to play totally fine though.

Streaming with mobile data caused a few hiccups here and there but wi-fi went uninterrupted. Picture quality was really good, but I am on a S10 so I guess it's hard to judge for people that will be playing on a TV or laptop.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
No xCloud invite yet, but the console streaming option has kicked in on the app for me (OnePlus 5T, UK FWIW).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No Xcloud but I got the console streaming working. Funny being able to play PoE from my Xbox to my Phone haha.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really excited to start using both console streaming and x-cloud generally.

Been registered since day 1 for x-cloud but am yet to receive an invite.

Not in any rings that get access to console streaming though.

Based on past experience of the feature roll-out, I wonder which will drop for me first? The invite to the x-cloud beta or the full-fat console streaming?

One would imagine that the aren't just using current gen as a beta for next gen features (in terms of timing), which suggests both console streaming and full x-cloud with already be fully implemented by the release of Scarlett.

But I really want to try out any form of Xbox streaming tech ASAP. Certainly before Xmas.

I'm already sold on getting an All Access X. Just because I need a Bluetooth controller for x-cloud anyway and getting the console seems to be a short-cut to getting one, since I already pay for full-price GPU and am day one for Scarlett.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
When I got home I tried to setup the console streaming. I'm not in any rings that have access to that feature yet. Overall impressed. This is perfect for travel.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For those curious, this is what it looks like on a Note 9.

Edit: the poor bit rate quality is more to do with the recording app and streamable compression. I can tell you it is faultless on the actual screen.

If this can scale to 1,000,000+ people, this could be big.

EDIT: Should have read into this a bit more lol.
Is this console streaming? Looks really smooth already.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i see console streaming on the app, but it says not available on my region or ring

and i still dont have xcloud =/

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If this can scale to 1,000,000+ people, this could be big.

EDIT: Should have read into this a bit more lol.
Is this console streaming? Looks really smooth already.
I think they have split it between what they currently have, which is streaming your Console footage to the Xbox app but where you don't need to be on the same wifi. I guess similar to remote play? Xcloud seems to be streaming without the need of an actual home console.

Tried streaming a little earlier and my office wifi is shocking but it was just about playable.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
The app prompted me to set up a console to stream from then when I tried it was all like "Sorry bro, not in your ring yet" :(

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It will be interesting to compare xCloud and home console streaming in the future. Should home console streaming theoretically work better within a certain spatial distance while xCloud is better suited if you are far away? I live about 400 km away from my hometown, for instance. Any insight is appreciated.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely out of the loop on this, how does one get in this public test?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to compare xCloud and home console streaming in the future. Should home console streaming theoretically work better within a certain spatial distance while xCloud is better suited if you are far away? I live about 400 km away from my hometown, for instance. Any insight is appreciated.

Well, it'll depend on where you are in relation to an Azure data center, your upload speed at your home and your download speed on your current device.

Also in my limited testing and playing around with xCloud vs console streaming, I think that since I'm streaming from an X, everything looks/performs better than vs xCloud in Gears 5 and Halo 5. It's been interesting to see.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got an invite yesterday. Played around a bit with Gears 5. Very much feels like a project still in development but the potential feels fascinating here. I can't wait to see what the end result is because Gears 5 on my phone is a fucking wild ass thing to think about.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Got an invite yesterday. Played around a bit with Gears 5. Very much feels like a project still in development but the potential feels fascinating here. I can't wait to see what the end result is because Gears 5 on my phone is a fucking wild ass thing to think about.

x-cloud or console streaming?

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
There is some noticeable lag for me on console streaming but I would definitely use it for single player games. Playing Outer Worlds at work while waiting for a build to kick in is a great experience. Now to wait for 5G to become prevalent.

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
There is some noticeable lag for me on console streaming but I would use it for single-player games. Playing Outer Worlds at work while waiting for a build to kick in is a great experience. Now to wait for 5G to become prevalent.
I tried it on the same network and the responsiveness was amazing considering. It kind of felt better than using the console streaming that is available via the Xbox Console Companion app on Windows 10. I'm looking forward to my grip arriving tomorrow and trying this out at work during lunch breaks.

I just hope they bring xCloud to Windows soon. I'd much prefer to use my laptop when my girlfriend is watching something on TV.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is some noticeable lag for me on console streaming but I would definitely use it for single player games. Playing Outer Worlds at work while waiting for a build to kick in is a great experience. Now to wait for 5G to become prevalent.
can you play outer worlds at work with console streaming? dont you have to be on the same network?

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Some impressions on console streaming:

At home
I tried a bit a Destiny 2 doing patrol missions and online multiplayer in Gears 5. The input lag was very low. Menus felt snappy, gunplay for Destiny had negligible delay and Gears 5 played a lot better than I expected. I was able to get a few kills without issue. The thing I want to note here is that I was facetiming my gilfriend while doing this. Normally, when I am streaming to my Windows 10 laptop, she tells me I cut out sometimes and my game can get a little laggy or lose connection. None of those issues were present this time streaming to an android phone on home wifi. For reference, my home speeds are about 400 mbps.

At work
This is where things got a little unusual. I tried different games and received various results. First up was Gears 5 Campaign. There was some noticeable lag when trying to line up shots. When playing multiplayer, it felt a little better but there were some network issues to the match and I got ejected. I've heard people complain about network issues playing Gears 5, but I never experience any. So I don't know who's at fault here. Next up was Outer Worlds, and I had a hard time. It wasn't choppy but the input lag was noticeable and grabbing small items from the floor or a desk was a chore. There was a maybe quarter second delay between moving the control stick and it happening on screen. And finally, I tried Doom. This is where things don't match up. Doom was smooth, ran great and felt awesome to play. For reference, work WiFi ranges from 100 - 200 Mbps.

Something that I'm a little concerned about. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the quality of the stream. When it works well, it looks amazing. But unlike PS Remote Play, you cannot adjust the stream quality in an attempt to remedy input lag. This makes me wonder if people will get different results if they are streaming from a One, S or X. With remote play, 1080p streaming is only available from a PS4 Pro. You can adjust the stream quality with Windows 10, but I wonder if that will change once xcloud comes to Windows.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they make a mode for the app where we can keep our controllers synced the box (if we're near it) and just use the mobile device as a second screen (instead of the TV) that way we still get party chat and sound through the controller and maybe there would be less controller input lag.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they make a mode for the app where we can keep our controllers synced the box (if we're near it) and just use the mobile device as a second screen (instead of the TV) that way we still get party chat and sound through the controller and maybe there would be less controller input lag.

You can still use a controller synced to the Xbox while streaming to a device if you are in range. As far as party chat is concerned, i'm not sure if that will work from the system. You can use the Xbox app on mobile and join the party that way

So why would you choose xcloud over console streaming then?

One requires you to have an xbox on instant on with a reliable internet at home. The other accesses a server and uses your cloud save to pick up where you left off on your game. Each has its advantages.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
can you play outer worlds at work with console streaming? dont you have to be on the same network?

You dont have to be on the same network, which is why your upload speeds matter a lot.

I tried it on the same network and the responsiveness was amazing considering. It kind of felt better than using the console streaming that is available via the Xbox Console Companion app on Windows 10. I'm looking forward to my grip arriving tomorrow and trying this out at work during lunch breaks.

I just hope they bring xCloud to Windows soon. I'd much prefer to use my laptop when my girlfriend is watching something on TV.

Yeah when i am home the experience is far better than the companion app for sure. Considering this is still in testing I also expect the experience to get better eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when console streaming is going to be available for everyone? I use remote play on my iPad when the wife wants to use the main TV and its a god send, really want that for my Xbone

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sure. But if you have one. Unless the server is closer then your console. But atm you have your whole library with console streaming instead of a couple of games with xcloud.
my assumption is xcloud will be a sub, maybe an extra fee on top of gp ultimate

This would mean you do not need any hardware whatsoever, maybe console streaming will be for games you own, not gp

just putting thoughts out there

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You dont have to be on the same network, which is why your upload speeds matter a lot.

Yeah when i am home the experience is far better than the companion app for sure. Considering this is still in testing I also expect the experience to get better eventually.
does the xbox need to be on? if so, any way to turn it on from anywhere like with remote play?

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
does the xbox need to be on? if so, any way to turn it on from anywhere like with remote play?
Like Remote Play, the Xbox needs to be on instant on and can be powered on through the app. Also like Remote Play, you need to turn off the console through the system itself and not the app. Meaning you'll have to navigate the console menus while streaming to turn the system off.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Some impressions on console streaming:

At home
I tried a bit a Destiny 2 doing patrol missions and online multiplayer in Gears 5. The input lag was very low. Menus felt snappy, gunplay for Destiny had negligible delay and Gears 5 played a lot better than I expected. I was able to get a few kills without issue. The thing I want to note here is that I was facetiming my gilfriend while doing this. Normally, when I am streaming to my Windows 10 laptop, she tells me I cut out sometimes and my game can get a little laggy or lose connection. None of those issues were present this time streaming to an android phone on home wifi. For reference, my home speeds are about 400 mbps.

At work
This is where things got a little unusual. I tried different games and received various results. First up was Gears 5 Campaign. There was some noticeable lag when trying to line up shots. When playing multiplayer, it felt a little better but there were some network issues to the match and I got ejected. I've heard people complain about network issues playing Gears 5, but I never experience any. So I don't know who's at fault here. Next up was Outer Worlds, and I had a hard time. It wasn't choppy but the input lag was noticeable and grabbing small items from the floor or a desk was a chore. There was a maybe quarter second delay between moving the control stick and it happening on screen. And finally, I tried Doom. This is where things don't match up. Doom was smooth, ran great and felt awesome to play. For reference, work WiFi ranges from 100 - 200 Mbps.

Something that I'm a little concerned about. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the quality of the stream. When it works well, it looks amazing. But unlike PS Remote Play, you cannot adjust the stream quality in an attempt to remedy input lag. This makes me wonder if people will get different results if they are streaming from a One, S or X. With remote play, 1080p streaming is only available from a PS4 Pro. You can adjust the stream quality with Windows 10, but I wonder if that will change once xcloud comes to Windows.

Thanks for the impressions.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Like Remote Play, the Xbox needs to be on instant on and can be powered on through the app. Also like Remote Play, you need to turn off the console through the system itself and not the app.
awesome, would love to try this, but i just got on the insider hub yesterday lol how do i get more points/go higher as an insider there to raise my level

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
awesome, would love to try this, but i just got on the insider hub yesterday lol how do i get more points/go higher as an insider there to raise my level
You can do polls and surveys to increase your level, but I think xCloud is only available for the Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead rings. You can check your ring in the app itself, but your ring and level are not the same. You can elect which ring you want to be in depending on how frequently you want updates sent to your system. It takes some time to switch rings, but I don't know what the experience is going from Beta or Delta ring to Alpha.