• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
From there posts about hiring for The Initiative, there's a lot of lead of this or that, or director of this or that. How many teams are they going to have? If it's just one or two? Will there be lots of headbutting?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Ohh Kurt Loudy, I knew I recognize that name. His lecture on push forward combat was eye opening.

Doom was a great game!

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
From the writer of 'that wizard came from the moon'?

That was Destiny 1.

But tbh Destiny 2 was even worse with how slapstick the writing was.

They found one morsel of success in the writing with the occasional humour in late D1 expansions, then proceeded to absolutely beat that horse down in to the dust through to the other side of the earth with D2.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's pretty obvious that whatever this is, Microsoft wants it to be a Mario/Zelda/God of War/Halo-level game. Something that is special, genre-defying, and becomes a cultural touchstone in entertainment.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't think these hirings should be presented as something unusual. At least I get the impression that these kind of posts imply that Initiative's hiring are somehow highly different to how other studios operate. Of course as an AAA developer they are going to hire folks with experience and credential, and the circles aren't that big in the end. People change from one studio to another all the time. This is almost like reporting weekly that water is still wet.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure "Director of Shadow of the Tomb Raider' is a good flex...

Most directors out there would be glad if they shipped a game like that tbh. You may not think it's a bold sequel but it was a technically sound, polished and enjoyable ride, that really isn't anything to be ashamed of. Most of its weakness comes from its similarity to two already released games, not a general lack of... anything, really.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Microsoft is not messing around. We're a ways off from whatever it is they're working on, but it's gonna be good based on all this talent they're swiping up

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Really can't wait to see what they're up to. Feels like they have been building slowly and with some amazing talent so this could turn out really good.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
What was the last studio built from the ground up to launch a AAA game? 343industries? It seems like a really challenging project. I'd love to know what they're cooking!

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So this means The Initiative are aiming to make a shared-world Rockstar-level open world game with Naughty Dog-level attention to detail and narrative with famous Hollywood actors doing voice and mocap right?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Lemme guess, they're gonna be picking up some series from the OG Xbox days and half-reinventing it for a modern age while still having it play like a game from the turn of the milennium. There will be an ungodly number of sequels that will make large-scale changes to everything but they will still more-or-less play the exact bleedin' same.

Replying to something in another thread about this;
Unfortunately, the expectations for this studios have been set far too high by Microsoft itself. I get they're planting a flag against Sony's Naughty Dog but the goodwill of Naughty Dog was earned over years of trial and error. You don't just get the best minds in the room and automatically create an amazing game.

Hopefully MS sees this is a long term investment (15+ years).
I mean, they already tried this with 343 and look how that turned out.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
There is something unnatural about creating a new studio and immediately giving them this level of budget. Consider that there are only really a handful of studios that are arguably AAAA and they are decades old on the whole. This seems like a massive risk for Microsoft, quite frankly. You can put together a dream team, but there is so much more to game development than that. I'm excited to see what they're working on but... it feels like a shot in the dark. Hard to be confident about.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I want an RPG/FPS/Story driven Perfect Dark

Something huge that spans earth and into space with the tie-in of Aliens from the original.

I want it to be a huge single player (or two player co-op MAX) game. Mulitplayer is fine, but it ABSOLUTELY MUST BE SEPARATE from single player. I do not want a Destiny or GAAS.

Hey Microsoft, just hire me on...I'll help guide you. No, seriously...I hate my job (16 years in engineering), I can start next week.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a new IP. I wouldn't be opposed to a new Perfect Dark, but with as much talent as they've got built up for this studio I'd rather see them do something entirely fresh.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
What was the last studio built from the ground up to launch a AAA game? 343industries? It seems like a really challenging project. I'd love to know what they're cooking!

There is also the possibility of a joint-development with another established studio(s).

So far, The Initiative has a lot of vets but is still a small team (50, 65 people ?) compared to some studios. I don't think they are creating their game alone.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Hope all that talent does not clash or things crash and burn....joking of course, but reading about this talent reminds of the time the L.A. Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Gary Patton & Karl Malone as 4 of the 5 starters and people were talking they would be unbeatable and then injuries hit and everything crashed and burned. I know weird analogy. lol

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, one of my old coworkers is on the list. Looking forward to see what they're making.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
There is something unnatural about creating a new studio and immediately giving them this level of budget. Consider that there are only really a handful of studios that are arguably AAAA and they are decades old on the whole. This seems like a massive risk for Microsoft, quite frankly. You can put together a dream team, but there is so much more to game development than that. I'm excited to see what they're working on but... it feels like a shot in the dark. Hard to be confident about.

True, but they've done it with 343. So they must have learned some things along the way there. At the same time I agree it is unnatural. But maybe you don't want really good "AAA" talent's only career movement options being existing entrenched stuck-in-a-IP AAA studios or starting a small indie studio. Sometimes those ideas and talents might work better with a whole new BIG team with a BIG budget and control over the creative free from decades-old constraints (not to knock the leaders there). It is kinda cool to see it happen - IF they bring the goods. That said, so far 343 seems to be locked to Halo, so hopefully that doesn't happen with The Initiative.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely seems harder than letting a studio ramp up naturally over time. Naughty Dog had around 10-15 employees when they shipped Crash Bandicoot iirc. And it hasn't worked out great with their other attempt at this, 343i either. But with a ton of individual talent and likely a huge budget I am very interested to see whatever it is that they're cooking up.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
From there posts about hiring for The Initiative, there's a lot of lead of this or that, or director of this or that. How many teams are they going to have? If it's just one or two? Will there be lots of headbutting?

I haven't seen any repeating leads, but you do need leads of every single department when creating a new studio from scratch, obviously. Those will probably do the hiring of their respective teams. Building teams like this, rarely ever happens (I actually think this might be a first, but IDK for sure), so I find this team fascinating. They are also pretty much just starting anyways, so I won't expect a game from then in at least 3-4 years. Can't wait to see what they are cooking, and hopefully its a new IP and not PD (I just never liked that game. It had zero charm to me and I am not interested in the setting at all, but hey that's me).

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I hope they are not put together to work on an old franchise.
If it's been 15 years since the last entry and it's a reboot, does it even count?

I desperately want a new Perfect Dark but I also want it to be good. Everyone is making 343 comparisons and being kinda sketch about it but do remember 343 knocked it out of the goddamn park on their first time out. They fumbled a bit later. Hell, The Coalition did great also if we count Gears 4 as their first outing. MS seemingly does well doing what they do, idk.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively you could say it was an average (at best) game, sold half what both it's direct predecessors did, and the guy wasn't hired back on to direct any future projects for them.

But my bad, based on responses I guess every AAA game director ever is amazing or something.
"I'm sorry sir. We'd love to hire you, but your video game didn't score high enough on Metacritic."

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
What I'm kinda wondering here is why are they putting together this team now? Seems like they should have been doing this hiring spree a long time ago.

Maybe they're the new Halo Infinite team? Not sure how I would feel about that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm kinda wondering here is why are they putting together this team now? Seems like they should have been doing this hiring spree a long time ago.

Maybe they're the new Halo Infinite team? Not sure how I would feel about that.
I think it's safe to say they are definitely not taking over Halo Infinite.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I just want MS to get into AAA story driven games that Sony has dominated with for the last gen and before.

I hope this is not some multiplayer game.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I thought that game was amazing. The biggest compliment in my opinion is the game literally had sliders for puzzle difficulty and combat difficulty. I think that's amazing, as someone that's a huge fan of puzzle games. I loved that the game dialed down combat encounters significantly. And I really really enjoyed the exploration and tombs. It wasn't something like Tomb Raider Anniversary in terms of puzzle complexity, but it did a really good job of taking the Rise of the Tomb Raider formula, and replacing combat w/ more puzzles and exploration.

Off topic, but thanks for this post. You just tripled my interest in the game after making some assumptions based on reviews/general chatter.

LOL "unnatural" šŸ˜‚

Damn MS why you gotta violate God's natural order

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Lol at the downplaying. Era so negative. How often do we see a brand new studio with AAA(A) budget and top tier talent. People are acting like it's normal in the business. It's not. The Initiative is stacked. This is exciting stuff. A brand new AAA(A) studio and game.