• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Won't matter since first party gets a gamepass discount it's a wash if they do and a discount if they do....either way gamers win.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You're being willfully ignorant if you're claiming that gaming culture and gaming expectations don't play a factor in this.
I'm just not acting like everything below a AAAA Cyberpunk level experience is treated like "Euro jank".

Is the mass majority of the gaming community really demanding that from every gaming experience? I'll staunchly challenge that idea.

Fun still matters.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It's just a matter of time....if netflix can go up, anything can go up.

They are making it this cheap for now to drive adoption. No way the current price is gonna stay for long.
i expect it to shoot up to like $30/month sooner or later. and i don't think it's a bad price if their studios are putting out a new game a month by that point.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'm just not acting like everything below a AAAA Cyberpunk level experience is treated like "Euro jank".

Is the mass majority of the gaming community really demanding that from every gaming experience? I'll staunchly challenge that idea.

Fun still matters.

Fun and a AAAA experience aren't mutually exclusive. And I never said that the gaming community is demanding this from every gaming experience. But. Again. You'd be willfully ignorant to claim that it isn't a driving force in terms of what gamers look for in a next-generation gaming experience.

We, as gamers, cannot absolve ourselves from our role in gaming as it moves forwards.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
One thing I don't really understand though, it seems like there's no point to actually buying first party games on Xbox....why wouldn't you just get GamePass? The price of 2 games cover you for a year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fun and a AAAA experience aren't mutually exclusive.
What I mean by that is, games without these huge budgets still become hits and make money off of the back of enjoyment, so lets not act like the AAAA grindhouse model is a victim of the consumer and there is no other choice. They choose to shoot those shots.

None of it excuses higher game prices, especially given the working standard in the industry.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Guess they have the benefit of waiting a while longer to announce it. Not like it makes a huge difference either way.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
What I mean by that is, games without these huge budgets still become hits and make money off of the back of enjoyment, so lets not act like the AAAA grindhouse model is a victim of the consumer and there is no other choice. They choose to shoot those shots.

None of it excuses higher game prices, especially given the working standard in the industry.

This more the exception than the rule. And again, you continue to act as if gamers aren't demanding and wanting AAAA games with pretty shiny graphics, ray-tracing, super-fast load times. Come on. Stop with that nonsense and stop acting as if gamers' expectations and demands have no influence.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
MS is in an interesting position re: first-party pricing.

It's third-party publisher partners will likely pressure them to move to $70. But I don't think PC AAA is making a similar move to $70. And since Xbox is trying to play in both the console and PC spaces simultaneously it would be weird for Gears 6 to be $70 on console but $60 on PC.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Do we eventually get to a point where Microsoft doesn't even sell their games individually? Like Netflix, you would just have to be subscribed to Gamepass?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

It's third-party publisher partners will likely pressure them to move to $70. But I don't think PC AAA is making a similar move to $70. And since Xbox is trying to play in both the console and PC spaces simultaneously it would be weird for Gears 6 to be $70 on console but $60 on PC.

I mean they still charge you for gold on Xbox but not on PC

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Then get back to a focus on making a good game first, not starting off from jump with a focus tested to death hopefully blockbuster.

You are literally describing why the AAA model is broken, and you're blaming it on consumers.
Consumers spend more money on AAA games, or GAAS titles. Publishers and developer tend to follow the money.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If Microsoft didn't charge for online I would have given them a pass since their business isn't seeing that much growth when compared to the rest of the industry and certainly not when compared to their competitors. But they do so to me increasing game price along with MTXs and paid online is just one more way to milk you customers. But it can't be denied dev costs are rising if you want to use all of that fancy tech the hardware team crammed into that box.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild to me that the Series X/S is out and they haven't even announced their game pricing yet.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Do we eventually get to a point where Microsoft doesn't even sell their games individually? Like Netflix, you would just have to be subscribed to Gamepass?
Nah. Sure they won't sell many copies due to game pass (especially on console), but lots of people still prefer to buy games.

Then there is putting all the games on Steam, and MS games have been selling very well on there lately.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I have a couple of ideas for publishers/developers:
  • Start making less AAA/AAAA games & bring back mid-tier games. AAA/AAAA gaming isn't sustainable at this rate. Trim the fat.
  • Stop pouring in unnecessary amounts of money into game development & advertising in which requires you to have millions upon millions of copies sold just to make a profit or to break even.
  • Keep your expectations in check & stop expecting for your product to sell a certain amount.
  • Quit worrying about graphics & worry more about having better gameplay in your games.
Yup, look at how Star Wars Squadrons has done for EA. Plus you've got games like Among Us that are wildly successful. I really think we're at a point where graphics aren't so important anymore. As long as a game looks competent visually most people won't even care. Make a B-tier game and if it's good people will buy it. A $50 budget Banjo Kazooie game would do fine.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Like the others who haven't raised them yet, they are just waiting to see if Activision, Sony and Take-Two/2K get away with it. Expected really.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck I hate how CFO's talk. " want to make sure you're driving the right gross margin profiles, the right earnings profiles of what it takes to build these new, awesome, amazing games "
Like the others who haven't raised them yet, they are just waiting to see if Activision, Sony and Take-Two/2K get away with it. Expected really.
Maybe, I just hope consumes will say "fuck that" and start buying more second hand (They won't, because they've proven to be happy to be nickel and dimed)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck I hate how CFO's talk. " want to make sure you're driving the right gross margin profiles, the right earnings profiles of what it takes to build these new, awesome, amazing games "

Maybe, I just hope consumes will say "fuck that" and start buying more second hand (They won't, because they've proven to be happy to be nickel and dimed)
Unfortunately those 3 know they have the I.P to force it through and I'm fully expecting the rest to jump onboard sooner, rather than later. Though was nice seeing Assassin's Creed beating CoD to number 1 on the UK's physical game charts, but CoD still broke Acti's records for digital sales, so ultimately meaningless, but still nice.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
It's impressive that the system's out and they still have plenty of time to stall on this.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I don't know why they're playing like we don't know they're going to charge $70. This is the company that decided to charge us to use our own internet service to play games.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I fully expect it to come with the $14.99 game pass monthly increase and ultimate being $19.99 with gold going free
Why do people always say that Gamepass regular is going to jump to $15?

I cant think of any subscription where the price suddenly jumps 50% more per month. If Gamepass increase in price it'll be by a dollar or two each time not a 50% in price.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Among Us was made by three people on a shoestring budget.

And for every Among Us, there are several thousand games released every year with a similar scale and budget on PC, Mobile and console which achieve no level of success. If you think I'm exaggerating, on Steam about ~8000 games release every year, and even ignoring obvious asset flips and AAA stuff that leaves thousands of legitimate indie games.

"Just have an amazing idea, execute it well, and then get it noticed" < Much easier said than done.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Why do people always say that Gamepass regular is going to jump to $15?

I cant think of any subscription where the price suddenly jumps 50% more per month. If Gamepass increase in price it'll be by a dollar or two each time not a 50% in price.
You're right it would be business suicide to increase too quickly. A dollar (or pound for me) or two a year for a few years will be more than acceptable one we start seeing first party games constantly.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft has been using console prices on PC since 2013 or so. Just folks in US haven't noticed because they've been the same, but in rest of world, console games tend to be more expensive.