• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
He makes another non-committed declaration regarding possible changes, but at least gives a glimpse of what to expect pointing out those 2 things.
Source:https://www.videogameschronicle.com...xbox-series-x-s-software-pricing-in-due-time/
"I think we're not making specific announcements on first-party pricing yet," he said, "So we'll do that sort of in due time."
With major console games having carried a $60 price tag since 2005, multiple publishers have argued that increased prices are necessary to counter spiralling development costs
"Prices have not gone up in — what, for a couple of generations now, so it's not unheard of to see things like this going on," Stuart said.

"And to the point earlier, content creation costs go up. And these publishers and content creators, including ourselves, want to make sure you're driving the right gross margin profiles, the right earnings profiles of what it takes to build these new, awesome, amazing games. And you want to make sure you have a good top line to support that.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
prices may not have gone up since 2005 but gamings popularity has. so has the ways you can monitize games

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
There are a lot of moving parts for MS in particular to change the prices of games, so they are likely being very cautious and I would not be surprised to see them be in the last batch of publishers that officially raises prices

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
they sure have gone over the last 3 gens in the UK. Videogame prices are proper Tory.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The prices for next-gen games in the UK are absolutely absurd. It's cheaper to just pre-order digitally from the US store now, especially if you buy the credit keys online.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they should just make first party games 99.99 to make gamepass seem like a better deal.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
"Prices have not gone up in — what, for a couple of generations now, so it's not unheard of to see things like this going on," Stuart said.

"And to the point earlier, content creation costs go up. And these publishers and content creators, including ourselves, want to make sure you're driving the right gross margin profiles, the right earnings profiles of what it takes to build these new, awesome, amazing games. And you want to make sure you have a good top line to support that.

Boy don't make me do the "record profits across the industry" mega post again.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
The industry standard has gone up. The only reason Microsoft haven't announced they're going up as well is because they haven't got any next gen games ready and they're happy for other companies to take the flak.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This is a bunch of coward stuff and it's annoying. Just say it. You're charging $69.99 going forward.

It's not "coward stuff" lol. It's not the CFO's place to announce these kinds of things, and they want to manage messaging on their own terms - not just throw stuff out there scattershot because they were asked about it.

At any rate, as soon as Sony increased their game prices, I figured it was just a matter of time before Microsoft did the same. It also has a knock on effect of making the value of Game Pass look that much better.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The industry standard has gone up. The only reason Microsoft haven't announced they're going up as well is because they haven't got any next gen games ready and they're happy for other companies to take the flak.

That's how I see it as well. The entire PS5 section of JBHifi looks like a pricey nightmare.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Don't first party games just come to GamePass immediately on Xbox anyway? Don't really care about their game prices

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect it to come with the $14.99 game pass monthly increase and ultimate being $19.99 with gold going free

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I have a couple of ideas for publishers/developers:
  • Start making less AAA/AAAA games & bring back mid-tier games. AAA/AAAA gaming isn't sustainable at this rate. Trim the fat.
  • Stop pouring in unnecessary amounts of money into game development & advertising in which requires you to have millions upon millions of copies sold just to make a profit or to break even.
  • Keep your expectations in check & stop expecting for your product to sell a certain amount.
  • Quit worrying about graphics & worry more about having better gameplay in your games.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Boy don't make me do the "record profits across the industry" mega post again.
I'd say to that though the hits and misses are much more severe than they were in the n64 days or at least it very much feels that way. When the barrier to entry for AAA is hundreds of millions of dollars in development and marketing AND an insane level of technical polish because god forbid your game gets crowbcatted and pilloried of a few weird janky issues, naturally the publishers are going to want to be more risk averse. One way to do this is aggressive mtx ala fifa and 2k, or a different business model to provide a safety net ala gamepass or increase prices

don't know why take2 decided on 2/3 though

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A luxury of having no first party games for a while is getting to hold off on this decision, I guess? It'll be interesting to see where they wind up, I wouldn't be surprised to see them increase the price because the blow is softened by the excellent value prospect of Game Pass for those who don't mind not owning their games. On the flip side, cheaper games are an easy way to seperate their platform further from Sony.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I mean it's most likely going to be $70. These companies are all about making money first. If they see for example, Sony 1st party titles selling millions despite the $70 increase, they're going to feel like chumps for leaving extra money on the table.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
  • Start making less AAA/AAAA games & bring back mid-tier games. AAA/AAAA gaming isn't sustainable at this rate. Trim the fat.
  • Stop pouring in unnecessary amounts of money into game development & advertising in which requires you to have millions upon millions of copies sold just to make a profit or to break even.
  • Keep your expectations in check & stop expecting for your product to sell a certain amount.
  • Quit worrying about graphics & worry more about having better gameplay in your games.
The zeitgeist demands AAAA though. It's clear what gets talked about in big ways and what games always occupy the water cooler talk around the office so to speak.

even great AA games get a semi derisive "it's really good for an indie" because the baseline expectations are so high now

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd say to that though the hits and misses are much more severe than they were in the n64 days or at least it very much feels that way. When the barrier to entry for AAA is hundreds of millions of dollars in development and marketing AND an insane level of technical polish because god forbid your game gets crowbcatted and pilloried of a few weird janky issues, naturally the publishers are going to want to be more risk averse. One way to do this is aggressive mtx ala fifa and 2k, or a different business model to provide a safety net ala gamepass or increase prices

don't know why take2 decided on 2/3 though
We aren't forcing them to chase budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars though. That's on their shoulders.

You cannot tell me good games cannot be made for less.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
We aren't forcing them to chase budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars though. That's on their shoulders.

You cannot tell me good games cannot be made for less.
You definitely can but they won't get the same level of constant talk and chatter like TLOU2/Destiny/cyberpunk/rdr2 etc.

It's the push and demand from the community for "the next big thing" that drives this not publishers imo

the community wants the next big hit

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody knows they're gonna do 70 bucks. Quit chicken shitting around and just spill it. Just wait until Nintendo hits 70 bucks. With them never doing a decent sale. That's going to really suck.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You definitely can but they won't get the same level of constant talk and chatter like TLOU2/Destiny/cyberpunk/rdr2 etc.

It's the push and demand from the community for "the next big thing" that drives this not publishers imo

Then get back to a focus on making a good game first, not starting off from jump with a focus tested to death hopefully blockbuster.

You are literally describing why the AAA model is broken, and you're blaming it on consumers.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If that's what the general public wants it would be happening already. The reason you continue seeing these huge budget AAA games with amazing graphics is because publishers believe those bring in the most profit.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Then get back to a focus on making a good game first, not starting off from jump with a focus tested to death hopefully blockbuster.

You are literally describing why the AAA model is broken, and you're blaming it on consumers.

Customers seem to love those games, though. I've given up on what I like lining up with what is being made.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

You're being willfully ignorant if you're claiming that gaming culture and gaming expectations don't play a factor in this.

maty

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I hate this trend of increasing prices while also reporting record profits. They are making this industry smaller not bigger with this decisions as I think the player base will decrease when talking about new consoles. Or at least make everyone concentrate in fewer releases which does not help diversity.

Many may argue that the technology inside these consoles is amazing and priced accordingly, but I feel making this hobby or console gaming even more expensive than it already is, is not the right choice.

I believe prices will not only affect consumers but it will also affect future generations of developers. As less people will be able to afford these types of games, less will pursue careers/jobs in what they never experienced.

In an industry where minority representation is lacking this will make it even worse. And that's only talking about places like the US and the richest countries of Europe. The rest are out of luck. When a PS5 or XSX are twice or even more the average income... if not for regional pricing in the PC marketplace many would stop playing videogames.

It is usually common when applying for a job for these huge studios that you are required to have shipped a AAA game or more. Hopefully we can first play them.

I do not work in the industry (I would love to do sound design for games) and I keep reading developers are constantly crunching, Seniors leave the industry because of the burnout and juniors, while they can bring energy as well as all their knowledge, are not enough. I'm sure this will not improve their working conditions.

Of course there is plenty more to be discussed but that would need further analysis and probably an essay about the subject.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
Even if MS announces $60 first party games, they'll bump it up to $70 within a couple years. Same thing happened with Xbox 360.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The complaining about price stagnation is laughable. Record profits are being made right across the industry.

Except the 'community' constantly flocks to games that don't really meet that criteria. Mine craft, falls guys, among us, MOBA's (this was original finally just a mod) I mean there are tons of examples of really popular games that aren't necessarily 'AAA'. It's the publishers constant desire to make the next big game that has led to this point not consumers. Everyone wants to be the next fortnite/COD etc.

Jun 23, 2019
Games go up, GP going up.

But I wouldn't worry about this, PS5 games are already back to normal prices at Walmart and some at Amazon; Godfall and Call of duty on PS5 are $59.99 at Walmart for instance.

That's because Walmart started selling games for $10 off last gen with PS4/XB1 games for $49.99. Them going back down to $59.99 sucks, but at least we have options instead of getting gouged everywhere else.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Except the 'community' constantly flocks to games that don't really meet that criteria. Mine craft, falls guys, among us, MOBA's (this was original finally just a mod) I mean there are tons of examples of really popular games that aren't necessarily 'AAA'. It's the publishers constant desire to make the next big game that has led to this point not consumers. Everyone wants to be the next fortnite/COD etc.

It's much harder to hit big with Minecraft and other things. Among Us released YEARS ago. Fall Guys was also free on PSN and has already gotten past its popularity peak. If developers and publishers could consistently make cheaper games with the same profits, they would. For every Among Us, there's thousands, tens of thousands of indie games that never hit that.

Edit: Even Nintendo is struggling with this. BOTW took hundreds of developers over many years. Odyssey is a huge, AAA game. Animal Crossing New Horizons was a huge, AAA game. Mario Kart, Smash Bros.

Last edited: