• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that's what you meant with new visuals outside of actually changing the controller itself. If you can design your own controllers, then isn't that win-win for everyone? Can make it look however you want, color or design wise.

Come on bro, you know what I mean.
It's the same controller for two generations.
They could have done something to make it stand out and give it a next gen look.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They could have done something to make it stand out and give it a next gen look.
Sony has had a controller that's looked pretty much the same for four generations. Because, it's iconic, and if it ain't broke..

That's why the DualSense is actually quite the surprise. And why there have been the PlayStation Boomerang comparisons, it's a bigger change to the design than history would have dictated.

But the Xbox One controller is continually praised and I don't think Microsoft needed to take the risk with a full redesign at this stage, especially when they have the Elite series to consider too.
We don't even know if the DualSense supports it. No materials reference it yet.
I'm sure it will have it and spend another generation being forgotten about. But it'll be in there for backwards compatibility.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

MS updates controllers almost yearly while Sony sticks with one version for the entire gen. 1st X1 controller offered no aux nor Bluetooth for example.

They could always update it later or innovate again with Elite Series 3. Gen hasn't even started.

Also, MS is going for minimalist/industrial look. Adding colors or lights will look out of place next to the console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
MS updates controllers almost yearly while Sony sticks with one version for the entire gen. 1st X1 controller offered no aux nor Bluetooth for example.

They could always update it later or innovate again with Elite Series 3. Gen hasn't even started.

Also, MS is going for minimalist/industrial look. Adding colors or lights will look out of place next to the console.
Also worth considering Xbox Design Lab is very much a thing. So the new controller needs to be designed to be fully customisable.

Xbox Design Lab is amazing btw. It's a shame Sony doesn't offer any kind of equivalent.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any info regarding the wireless adaptor for PC and the Xbox Series X controller?

I would love to use both X1 and XSX with the same dongle I already have.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The controller is already perfect. Why fix that's not broken. Don't change for the sake of change. The changes made were asked by fans and data that they can view.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any info regarding the wireless adaptor for PC and the Xbox Series X controller?

I would love to use both X1 and XSX with the same dongle I already have.

It's compatible.
XSX Controller works just fine with Xbox One and Xbox One Controller works with XSX.
The adapter is jus the WiFi Direct receiver.
Should work without any issues.

Apr 30, 2019
I"m happy MS is using the same controller. It's the most comfortable controller I've used and I seriously doubt they'd be able to improve upon it in any significant way without upping the price. That said I'm more excited for the dualsense obviously because it's brand new.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope not. It's a game changer on Switch.
PlayStation has already had it for two generations though and it still gets forgotten about on the platform whilst it gets pushed hard by Nintendo on Switch. So yeah, it'll likely get forgotten about again. At least you can still put the DualSense gyro to good use on PC.

The interesting thing is that Microsoft already had gyro in their Sidewinder Freestyle Pro controllers way back in 1998! Before even Xbox was a thing never mind Wii and Sixaxis. I used to own one.

41FG38V0PKL.jpg

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox series x controller will be good for playing between console and PC if you can store more than one device now.

Dual Sense controller is the reason I'm most excited for next gen though. Finally something a little different, interesting, and seemingly more than an iteration.

Last edited:

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Add me to the list of "Impulse Triggers aren't haptics". They are standard rumble motors that hit the trigger caps instead of the gamepad's shell.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of "Impulse Triggers aren't haptics". They are standard rumble motors that hit the trigger caps instead of the gamepad's shell.
Thats exactly what haptic feedback is. Both new controllers feature haptic feedback with the Dualsense featuring adaptive triggers.

Why is there a need to redefine what haptics are in this thread?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm glad the touchpad is back on the DualSense(I mean I guess it had to be for PS4 games).I love that it's the default bring up the map button in games,for some reason.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the PS5 is going to support dual shock 4 controllers? Just wondering how big that initial investment is going to be if I have to replace all my controllers.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This has been said before, but HAPTICS is a catch-all word for any technology that stimulates via force/tension/etc.
In other words, N64's Rumble Pack, Xbox's Impulse Triggers - all the way to Dualsense's application - all of them are 'haptics,'

What's different is the improvement to the underlying technology which allows for higher quality haptics. That's why Nintendo rebranded it as HD Rumble, so that their improvement has a marketing term instead of 'improved haptics.' As far as we know, Switch Pro/Joycon/Dualsense will have the higher quality haptics via use of VCA/LRA-based solutions, while Xbox's implemention is still ERM-based.

And Dualsense's adaptive triggers doesn't mean it has rumble on the triggers. They're different technologies.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Always felt Microsoft have been one or two steps ahead of Sony in the controller game, although Sony is closing the gap.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The most important feature for me is gyro, I'd say touch pad too but for DS4 and DualSense it's in a bad spot to use it like I use it on Steam Controller, but still a big + on the PC side since I can do touch menus and many things with it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Xbox Series X controller is a simple refinement of the Xbox One controller which is itself a simple refinement of the Xbox 360 controller. Not necessarily a bad thing since the 360 controller is an extremely strong foundation barring its crappy d-pad. However, not very exciting.

The DualSense is a seismic shift in PlayStation's design sensibilities and it is exciting as fuck.

The Xbox Series X controller may well end up being the better controller but I am more excited to hold a DualSense in my hands.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
On controller front, sony is miles ahead of Microsoft. Microsoft is only ahead in the changeable batteries.

microphone and gyro makes dualsense a much better controller in my opinion.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thats exactly what haptic feedback is. Both new controllers feature haptic feedback with the Dualsense featuring adaptive triggers.

Yes, rumble is also haptic feedback. But "haptics" is being used as "non-rumble haptic feedback" by both Valve and Sony, and someone told OP to add haptics as a returning feature for the XSX controller (with Impulse Triggers as justification) when it's listed as a new feature for DualSense. So if we use the literal "haptic feedback" definition then the DualSense post is incorrect, and if we use the "haptics!=rumble" definition, then the Xbox Controller post is incorrect.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Because its a blanket term people use to say "oh its nothing new, someone already did it years ago". As much as people roll eyes at "HD rumble", at least it lets people know that its newer tech than just old rumble.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
PlayStation has already had it for two generations though and it still gets forgotten about on the platform whilst it gets pushed hard by Nintendo on Switch. So yeah, it'll likely get forgotten about again. At least you can still put the DualSense gyro to good use on PC.

The interesting thing is that Microsoft already had gyro in their Sidewinder Freestyle Pro controllers way back in 1998! Before even Xbox was a thing never mind Wii and Sixaxis. I used to own one.

41FG38V0PKL.jpg

If for nothing else, the gyro on the DS4 was a God send for text input with a controller.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

41FG38V0PKL.jpg

I think I used this at the Microsoft store to play Motocross Madness.

Urgh

Banned
May 10, 2019
i don't think the built in microphone is going to be any good and if you use it to chat to me in a party i will kick you out.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
i don't think the built in microphone is going to be any good and if you use it to chat to me in a party i will kick you out.

For me, I think I'll find the best use of it in random join games like if I join someone in Nioh 2.

Where it's not constant mic-talking and planning, but more of an occasional "hey, slow down here, picking up loot" or "I'm lost, wait up."

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Platform wars. Trolling. History of similar behavior.

because Somy are now doing it lol, everything they do is better, period. OK?

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how nobody gave a shit a few months ago

www.resetera.com

Rumble triggers are confirmed for the new Xbox controller. Do you think more developers will utilize this feature next gen?

From the Gamespot article: "We'll still have all the rumble triggers and haptic feedback that you've had in the console before." Rumble triggers are awesome so it's great to hear they will return. It's a shame they weren't used by more games on Xbox One, but if the new Xbox sells better, I...

www.resetera.com

Xbox One Impulse Triggers

So I decided to play some forza 7 but with my Duke controller. For the lols. Anyway something i immediately noticed after a couple of turns was the lack of impulse triggers from the normal controller. For those who dont know, the triggers on the xbox one controller have little tiny rumble...

People saying they hate the feature and will turn it off, wonder how many will now see the light and think it's the best thing since SSD's

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
this is what you'll get....

https://segmentnext.com/2020/04/08/dualsense-microphone-array/

Sony's microphone array patent mentions localized sound capture and what's effectively noise cancellation from directions that aren't part of the intended audio capture.

because Somy are now doing it lol, everything they do is better, period. OK?

Haptics have existed since N64. And from N64 till PS4 era - the general underlying haptics technology has more or less remained the same.

However, when Nintendo introduced Switch - their underlying technology which they gave the marketing term HD Rumble - introduced a higher layer of programmable fidelity. It meant that while every console have haptics technology, there are differences in their quality and fidelity now.

Switch and PS5 has haptics technology that allows it to deliver HD rumble-level fidelity. Xbox does not. So even though all of them are 'haptics', it's worth highlighting that they are based off different technology and offer different levels of performance.