• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never had good luck using bluetooth with my elite 2 controller on PC, though I do use it for my headphones without noticeable issues. With the wireless adapter though (the newest version as far as I know), it's been flawless.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Yes 100%, I use Rivaturner overlay to watch FPS/Frametime/Stability and as soon as I use Xbox blutooth, my FPS drop 50%, and frametime spikes all over the place.

Edit: I can use Bluetooth headset itself no problem/no issues, but if I try to use the Controller BT at sametime, everything becomes sluggish/laggy.

BTW I have Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0 in my PC, even though its BT 5.0, I still have issues.
Yea, I noticed bluetooth being an issue with my standard Xbox One controller as well. It would drop inputs sometimes. Any of my other controllers work fine over bluetooth though. That goes for my DS4, 8bitdo SN30 PRO, and the Switch Pro controllers.

Maybe the Xbox controllers just have a really weak bluetooth radio transmitters inside? Using my wireless adapter I never have any issues.

There is some bug for years that the USB dongle can't be initialized. If thst happens you can't connect your Xbox controller.

This happens every now and then and is so annoying. You have to unplug and plug the dongle for make it working again. Lots of people have this issue and nobody cares.

Yea, this happens every so often. Kind of annoying for sure. Not the end of the world, but still something I wish would be fixed. Hopefully the upcoming controllers are better all around, although I have my doubts.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since we had a local multiplayer thing last year and tried to use Bluetooth with that I also bought one of these. Hassle free since then when before I would have disconnects on controllers all the time and setting them up would take ages.

Works with up to 8 controllers too if you wanna play Bomberman.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound good and probably some recent Win 10 update messing things up.

Good job PS4 controller is now supported well. I still use the Xbox 360 controller and wireless dongle for older games but I'm still playing AC Odyssey with DS4 so haven't tested if the 360 con is fucked.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm using mine without its dongle - just with my standard nameless bluetooth adaptor that has a ton of other stuff paired.

Never had any performance or other issues.

Same with my wireless DS4 controllers.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Wow, I thought the audio been sluggish when the controller and headset are connected was a bluetooth bandwidth issue. I will have to look into this then. Is there a fix for that?

Edit: I only had this issue with Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey.
AC Origins/Odyssey are the worst for me with a bluetooth connected Xbox controller. Every 5-15 minutes the game will turn into a 1 frame per second slideshow until I disconnect and reconnect the controller. Using it wired solves the issue (new batteries didn't help). No idea if that would be solved by the official adapter or not, but I'm curious...

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I can't find an explanation anywhere on why this would happen, does anybody know? It seems kind of idiotic that a bad Bluetooth connection would interfere on how the game runs.

Also, is this issue recent? I played without problems like a year ago through Bluetooth (apex legends I think) and have only been playing wired recently... I'll probably test it tomorrow to see if I have issues too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i gave up playing xbone controller wireless on win10 years ago. its "plug n play" is kind of its unbecoming because to every extent you try and trouble shoot it it just goes back to "no need for drivers, bruh. just plug in that dongle and voila..."

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The issues I've had with Xbox One bluetooth controllers never made sense to me. The controllers sometimes take forever to appear as a device to pair with on my iphone, can randomly disconnect from my xbox one (and Shield TV), and seems to randomly kill framerates on PC

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I got my dongle seated close enough to the controller, I haven't had any major issues. I also don't use wifi, which is important.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the latest Xbox pc adapter for awhile now. I saw them in stock at Best Buy a month ago but not haven't looked for them in since I already got one
I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it now

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I recently ordered one as a gift for a friend, and thought it was strangely difficult to find in stock as well. Northern Europe here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd imagine they packaging and/or design has changed so the SKU had changed too and the new ones aren't in stock yet

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a period where my BT performance was terrible when using Xbox controllers, troubleshooted for what felt like weeks, different drivers and adapters and it turned out it was simply because there were too many devices nearby operating on the 2.4GHz band, including device interference from neighbours.

Moved all my own devices to 5GHz where possible and moved my PC further away from my router and it cleared up everything.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Had a period where my BT performance was terrible when using Xbox controllers, troubleshooted for what felt like weeks, different drivers and adapters and it turned out it was simply because there were too many devices nearby operating on the 2.4GHz band, including device interference from neighbours.
Reinstalled Windows 10 a few days and connected my XBO controller to bluetooth, and it's miraculously working smoothly with my on-board bluetooth. Probably helps that i'm using a bluetooth mouse now instead of a 2.4GHz mouse.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Warzone and Doom Eternal give me trouble all the time. I will definitely try nabbing an official adopter but they are all sold out.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I have an official adapter and I feel like my Xbox One controller acts funny when using it. Can't say I've tested it wired. Occasionally the controller would just go left or right for no reason, got very frustrating when trying to play Hollow Knight (was only using d-pad.)

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I have an official adapter and I feel like my Xbox One controller acts funny when using it. Can't say I've tested it wired. Occasionally the controller would just go left or right for no reason, got very frustrating when trying to play Hollow Knight (was only using d-pad.)
Is your dongle far away or hidden behind something?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Is your dongle far away or hidden behind something?

The dongle is maybe 1-2 feet from the controller I'm using. Also my official PS4 PC wireless adapter hasn't had any of the issues I faced with the Xbox adapter plugged into the same USB slot. So I dunno, I always chalked it up to either the adapter, or just my controller being bunk.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Wait, what? My Xbone controller via Bluetooth has been working flawlessly since I bought it? What is this issue ppl are having, never heard of it.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
By the way, USB 3.0 fucks up a 2.4Ghz signal. Not sure if that's using it at all, but that's a known thing, for anything that tries to use their Logitech mice through a USB 3.0 port.

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I made a video (about 1 minute long) showing playing CoD: Warfare using Controller via Bluetooth connection/and with off, it clearly demonstrates the issue, but where can I upload video, I already tried Gfycat but it said video possibly violated TOS.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Wife was playing Evil Within with the Xbox One controller and it would just randomly drop the connection. Turning the controller back on fixed it for a little while. At first i thought it was the batteries, but even after a fresh set, the issue continued. We eventually just ran a long USB cord to the PC and continued.

I have not completely ruled out the controller itself having a fit instead of the wireless adapter, but up to now its been flawless.

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017

Here is a quick demonstration I did of Bluetooth issue.

The first part of video is using controller connected via Bluetooth (poor frame time, lag spikes, frame hitching, 112-118fps)

At the 15 second mark in video where game pauses is me plugging in same controller via USB cord (Excellent/perfect Frametime, 152fps, smooth, no hitching)

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Here is a quick demonstration I did of Bluetooth issue.

The first part of video is using controller connected via Bluetooth (poor frame time, lag spikes, frame hitching, 112-118fps)

At the 15 second mark in video where game pauses is me plugging in same controller via USB cord (Excellent/perfect Frametime, 152fps, smooth, no hitching)

I ditched my bluetooth adapter, because I had similar issues to yours, and got a V2 adapter. It had issues when plugged into the front panel, but far fewer/zero issues when plugged into the back. The 360 adapter, for whatever reason, was the most reliable adapter I ever used.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I just tested this and..,holy fucking shit it's true. Used my Xbox with USB and all problems went away. Now I want a wireless adapter but they are all sold out. Hopefully one with a decent range as I sometimes play my PC on my 4K set and it's about 25 feet away. When playing on my desk I can just use the USB cable.

this solved my frame problems in Doom Eternal and COD Warzone. On BT, especially Warzone, Had frame time issues. I was going crazy thinking it was something wrong in my build.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I still have the v1 adapter did I've never tried Bluetooth. Very strange it's out of stock. Wonder if a version 3 is incoming?

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I just tested this and..,holy fucking shit it's true. Used my Xbox with USB and all problems went away. Now I want a wireless adapter but they are all sold out. Hopefully one with a decent range as I sometimes play my PC on my 4K set and it's about 25 feet away. When playing on my desk I can just use the USB cable.

this solved my frame problems in Doom Eternal and COD Warzone. On BT, especially Warzone, Had frame time issues. I was going crazy thinking it was something wrong in my build.

Trust me, I thought my brand new Alienware Aurora R8 was a terrible purchase at first, till I seen it was the Xbox controller via bluetooth that was tanking the performance. When using controller via bluetooth, it tanks my FPS by up to 30%-40%. I researched the issue with Xbox controller/bluetooth and its been an issue for years (3-4 years according to forum post around the internet complaining about exact issue)

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Huh, had no idea Bluetooth cause performance issues. I have the official adapter somewhere but I havent used it in years, just plug it in directly the little I use it on pc.

Reminds me I need to find my damn adapter for my valve controller.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are those adapter necessary now? I always thought they were omly needed to connect 1st gen xbox ine controllers to pc, but seems like modern controllers need them for some reason that is unknown to me

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I have used both first and later the second gen official xbox controller adapters on my desktop. Both of them have operated flawlessly for me. I do remember that the majority of listings were sold in a bundle an xbox controller. Perhaps there has been a lack of stock because Microsoft has been gearing up to sell xbox series x|s controllers?

Oct 25, 2017
Are those adapter necessary now? I always thought they were omly needed to connect 1st gen xbox ine controllers to pc, but seems like modern controllers need them for some reason that is unknown to me
The 2nd gen Xbox One controllers come with Bluetooth, but for some reason if you connect one to a Windows PC through Bluetooth there are tons of issues. I have never had frame rate drops but mine keeps disconnecting after some minutes of play. It's unusable.

Similar issues do not happen if I connect to Android with Bluetooth - I have used the controller clipped to my phone and on my Shield TV with no issues. It's really weird that the issues are specific to Windows. The conspiracy theorist in me suggests that Microsoft made it bad on purpose to sell more expensive adapters.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The 2nd gen Xbox One controllers come with Bluetooth, but for some reason if you connect one to a Windows PC through Bluetooth there are tons of issues. I have never had frame rate drops but mine keeps disconnecting after some minutes of play. It's unusable.

Similar issues do not happen if I connect to Android with Bluetooth - I have used the controller clipped to my phone and on my Shield TV with no issues. It's really weird that the issues are specific to Windows. The conspiracy theorist in me suggests that Microsoft made it bad on purpose to sell more expensive adapters.

Thats terrible

If I connect a usb cable to it I shouldny have this issue, or I still would need an adapter?

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I ordered one and it was delivered today. Is recognized as the official product and I've had zero issues with it so far.

Yep I just received mine today from the one you linked on Amazon, sure it has no Xbox logo, but its recognized as Microsoft Xbox adapter and works great, connects quick, thanks for pointing me that direction of the adapter.