• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I enjoy playing CoD: Modern Warfare on PC and always elect to use Xbox One Controller rather then KB/M. I know when using the Xbox One Controller on PC via Bluetooth, it kills the game performance (lag, half FPS, frame time bad) and been this way for years according to the research I have done. I always have to use the controller plugged in via usb, and of course it plays perfect that way but I rather it be wireless. I been told to use the Xbox One Wireless Adapter, because it does not have issues like using the bluetooth feature.

I been trying to find the Xbox Wireless Adapter (Gen 2) for a few months, but seem like its always sold out, only place I could find it was on Amazon via 3rd party sellers in bulk packaging and lots of negative reviews claiming they where sent the old model rather then Gen 2. Has this item been discontinued? or know where I can purchase it?

Gamestop Online- Sold out
Walmart- Sold out
Microsoft.com- Sold out
BestBuy- Sold out

Also the new Xbox one Series X controllers that release November (that has leaked) will they work properly via Bluetooth on Windows 10? or is it a Microsoft software issue on Windows?

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered the same thing. Very odd that even the Elite 2 controller completely kills performance on PC.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I had a similar experience about a month and a half ago. Tried finding one but they were sold out everywhere, thankfully they did get restocked and i bought one as soon as they were. Now i have a friend looking for one and hes telling me the same thing about it being sold out everywhere

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I've wondered this. I was actually in the process of buying 3rd party version, as my old ones are dead and you can't use the Elite controller via BT (the OG controller).

And don't get me started on BT support for WIndows 10, I hate it.

Currently looking at these:
https://amzn.to/31UIdQN
https://amzn.to/3arcYR8 <--- Looks like the new Xbox One Windows 10 adaptor.

Also, the 8Bitdo USB adaptor works for the Xbox One controllers, just not the Elite.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered this. I was actually in the process of buying 3rd party version, as my old ones are dead and you can't use the Elite controller via BT (the OG controller).

Also, the 8Bitdo USB adaptor works for the Xbox One controllers, just not the Elite.
I was about to say that I wonder if those third party adapters would work. Since the game should see it as a direct connection. Stuff like the Magic S.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Ive used the official "new" xbox wireless adapter for about a year. Have an elite 2 for the past couple months, no issues. You can sync multiple controllers to the adapter and the sync saves to the device. So if you have a couple computers, just plug in the adapter and it should work.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I don't know what's up with the bluetooth radio in the Xbox controller, but it's fucking garbage.

it causes severe performance issues in Gears and Halo MCC as well. It also constantly disconnects. NEVER have this issue using my DS4s, Wii U Pro, and Switch Pro controllers on PC.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I feel I should point out that I do own an official Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows and I also suffer from performance issues in certain games like Horizon: Zero Dawn while it's fine wired. This issue isn't exclusive to Bluetooth for me sadly.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably going to release a new one alongside the new controller.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should point out that I do own an official Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows and I also suffer from performance issues in certain games like Horizon: Zero Dawn while it's fine wired. This issue isn't exclusive to Bluetooth for me sadly.
Oh wow, wild. Is this the updated adapter or old one? I haven't been hit by this bug yet. I've only played horizon a little bit so far though.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Learning the Bluetooth on my Xbox controller is what caused lag 4 months after building my pc has been such a slap in the face. I now use my controller plugged in an I see no drops in Destiny, I can play online in SFV, I have no delays in No Mans Sky,
no choppiness in FFXIV

wtf is up with the controller doing all this?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Huh, didn't even know there was a gen 2. I'm using the bigger one that came with my launch Oculus Rift. Is there any major difference besides the new one being smaller? I've had no problems with mine.

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017

The one your looking at looks good, but zero product reviews, and looks like its not an official adapter, I know aliexpress has alot of these.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The one your looking at looks good, but zero product reviews, and looks like its not an official adapter, I know aliexpress has alot of these.
The one I linked via Amazon Spain is the official one, sold directly by Amazon. Check if they ship it to you. You won't have any issues with it if they do.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Huh, didn't even know there was a gen 2. I'm using the bigger one that came with my launch Oculus Rift. Is there any major difference besides the new one being smaller? I've had no problems with mine.

As someone who owns both models, there is no difference except the form factor from my years of using both. The model 2 is just much easier to pack into a bag and carry with my gaming laptop, and doesn't take as much space when it is plugged in too.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
20 in stock here:

Amazon.com: Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10: Computers & Accessories

Buy Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10: Adapters - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Lots of Xbox stuff seems to be in short supply though. Could be anything tbh, covid slowing production, higher demand because of quarantine, new product incoming to replace these etc... Hopefully it's not going away though. These work better than Bluetooth in my experience.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Seem like they do ship to US but I wouldn't get it till possibly as late as Sept 21 with fastest shipping.
My experience with Amazon shipping estimates is that it always arrives waaaay earlier than what they say is the limit. I wouldn't expect it to take more than 2 weeks at most. But ymmv of course.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Smaller, and better performance (latency) is all I could find.
I'm not sure about latency, but I've had the gen 1 since it first came out, and it still works fine. It is noticeably better than bluetooth. I would recommend giving it a shot if you can return

Wondering if it got discontinued like everything else XB1....wonder if they will release a new one with the new controller revisions

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for one of these as well and it was sold out everywhere, I managed to get it ordered through The Source here in Canada. I just think more people are gaming because of Covid and supply chains are stressed, causing shortages.

GossRagnon

Apr 7, 2020
This guys seems to have a ton of them with very positive feedback. Thanks for letting me know about the stock shortage. I'm building a PC and just picked one up.

eBay.us

Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows Brand New V2 Version In Stock 889842174175 | eBay

Significant firmware update may be required; ISP fees apply. Helpful Links. Prop 65 Warning WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Styrene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've got the original adapter (in all its oversized glory) and I've had zero performance issues with it. I regularly play stuff like Sekiro, Hitman, and Gears 5 (input-based matchmaking in ranked) with my 1st gen Elite controller to boot.

Also, OP, I'm seeing plenty of wireless adapters in stock (brand new) on Ebay. It's not a conventional way to pick one up, but they're hardly breaking the bank at the price ranges I'm seeing ($20-30 new, in bulk packaging).

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a dongle and a play and charge kit. Hopefully I see none of the issues I saw with Bluetooth. Thanks for the thread OP

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
I was having issues with the XB1 controller connected via Bluetooth on my PC as well, until I realized it was due to the crap Bluetooth adapter on my motherboard.

Those of you having issues with Bluetooth may find that it is not the controller specifically, but the Bluetooth adapter on your computer instead.

I picked up a Bluetooth 5.0 USB adapter from Amazon and after installing it, I have had fantastic Bluetooth connectivity on my controller.

Previously, I had to hold my controller within a very short range of my physical computer tower to keep my controller connected and not tank the performance of the game. It's very strange, but somehow the range of the Bluetooth connection directly impacted the way the game functioned. I've never seen anything like it before.

Now, with the BT 5.0 connection, I can hold my controller much farther away from the adapter and still have a perfect connection and no drops.

Something to consider instead of the Wireless adapter.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I have only encountered performance issues over Bluetooth when either the signal is poor or the batteries are low. I'm definitely interested to hear more about this.

*edit*

Since I had to remove my PC front IO I had to put the dongle on a USB extension port somewhat away from my PC because connecting it to the back IO would cause issues.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Is the Bluetooth affecting performance only with the Xbox controller? I use a DS4 on PC via Bluetooth and I've never seen any performance issues on my games.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a Bluetooth 5.0 USB adapter from Amazon and after installing it, I have had fantastic Bluetooth connectivity on my controller.
I don't know what it is about the XBO controller, but's it's bluetooth connection has been incredibly spotty compared to the DS4. I'm gonna follow your advice and get a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter.

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I do think the Xbox One controller has some kind of issue with Bluetooth on Windows 10 anyway. I've read too many anecdotes online about people having problems with the same thing about framerates dropping like crazy and lag, etc.

Not sure what it is, maybe faulty drivers or something. All I know is when I switched from motherboard Bluetooth to a new Bluetooth 5.0 USB adapter, the problems went away. No more performance tanking whatsoever.

I had to disable my motherboard Bluetooth before I could install the USB adapter, but it was good to go after that.

This is the one I ordered from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LB5Y8M/
The driver download was a little absurd, having to get it through a freaking Dropbox link instead of like a professional site. But I couldn't really find a legit 5.0 adapter from any company I recognized.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I wasn't going mad when I noticed frame drops on some games when I connect my controller via Bluetooth ........

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
For fucks sake really? I have a weird issue with Xbox BT and BT Headset and sudden frame drops. The audio on the headset starts skipping and controller gets unresponsive at the same time. Is the BT the problem?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't notice any issues while play Yakuza 0. I had maybe 2 or 3 tiny stutters in the last 4-5 hours but that's it and I can't tell what caused that.

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
For fucks sake really? I have a weird issue with Xbox BT and BT Headset and sudden frame drops. The audio on the headset starts skipping and controller gets unresponsive at the same time. Is the BT the problem?
It sounds like it. I'd suggest trying a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter and seeing if the performance changes.

I actually did purchase the Wireless Adapter for my computer previously, but I started running into a separate issue with that when my controller disconnected due to inactivity. In Madden 20 on PC (through Origin), it kept crashing the game and kicking me out to the main menu or going offline or something. I couldn't figure out how to stop it or fix it, but it only happened when the controller powered off automatically. This has not occurred at all with the Bluetooth 5.0 connection.

OP
OP
StrifeAzure

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017

Yes 100%, I use Rivaturner overlay to watch FPS/Frametime/Stability and as soon as I use Xbox blutooth, my FPS drop 50%, and frametime spikes all over the place.

Edit: I can use Bluetooth headset itself no problem/no issues, but if I try to use the Controller BT at sametime, everything becomes sluggish/laggy.

BTW I have Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0 in my PC, even though its BT 5.0, I still have issues.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to know that the performance issues are a widespread thing and not just my system. I ended up getting an official adapter and that fixed it but eventually settled to cording it. I don't sit far from my tower and it's less hassle this way.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like it. I'd suggest trying a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter and seeing if the performance changes.

I actually did purchase the Wireless Adapter for my computer previously, but I started running into a separate issue with that when my controller disconnected due to inactivity.
Did you noticed any input lag differences between the Bluetooth 5.0 adapter and the official adapter?

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I use wireless with bt 5 (m.2 card) and normally it works great but the It will start lagging terribly (like extremely severe fps drops into single digits) when the batteries were low.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Never knew about all this. Does using a DS4 over BT via Steam and DS4Windows for non-Steam games have these issues as well?

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
Did you noticed any input lag differences between the Bluetooth 5.0 adapter and the official adapter?
Not that I can remember.

The wireless adapter worked well when I was actually connected to it, I think. Can't exactly remember if I had any other connection or lag issues with it, though, as it has been a little while since I used it.

I've noticed no problems at all with my new Bluetooth 5.0 USB adapter yet.

I will say that I don't have the adapter in the back of my tower, I have it higher up on the USB port of my keyboard. My computer tower sits on the ground.

Still, I tested it out by moving way farther back than where I had been holding my controller previously trying to use motherboard Bluetooth. It kept the connection and worked normally even at a pretty good distance, but I stopped trying to test the limits of it because I never sit THAT far away from my computer to use it.

Yes 100%, I use Rivaturner overlay to watch FPS/Frametime/Stability and as soon as I use Xbox blutooth, my FPS drop 50%, and frametime spikes all over the place.

Edit: I can use Bluetooth headset itself no problem/no issues, but if I try to use the Controller BT at sametime, everything becomes sluggish/laggy.

BTW I have Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0 in my PC, even though its BT 5.0, I still have issues.
I wonder if something else is causing interference then? Is it motherboard Bluetooth or a separate adapter?
I don't have other Bluetooth devices connected either, so I haven't tested to see if multiple devices causes any problems. 5.0 is supposed to be able handle multiple things better, but maybe audio plus the controller bandwidth is too much? If it still happens with just the controller and no audio connected, then I'm not sure what the difference is.

I also updated my Xbox One controller's firmware by connecting it to my Xbox One console. I'm not quite sure how to update it just through a PC, if it's even possible. That might help the Bluetooth as well.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I also updated my Xbox One controller's firmware by connecting it to my Xbox One console. I'm not quite sure how to update it just through a PC, if it's even possible. That might help the Bluetooth as well.

Just plug the controller into a Windows 10 computer and go into Xbox Accessories though the start button.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is some bug for years that the USB dongle can't be initialized. If thst happens you can't connect your Xbox controller.

This happens every now and then and is so annoying. You have to unplug and plug the dongle for make it working again. Lots of people have this issue and nobody cares.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Wow, I thought the audio been sluggish when the controller and headset are connected was a bluetooth bandwidth issue. I will have to look into this then. Is there a fix for that?

Edit: I only had this issue with Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I have no idea why but my Xbox Elite 2 would just keep disconnecting from my Macbook using this dongle. Turning off a Bluetooth made no difference. I tried a different controller and the issue was the same. Wired was my only option.