• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Gears 5: Multiplayer Relaunches Today with Operation 5: Hollow Storm, Twice the Content Since Launch
  • Operation 5 is the largest operation to date, adding seven characters, five maps, 13 new achievements and one returning weapon – the Scorcher
  • Operation 5 adds significant multiplayer and quality of life updates – including the separation of characters and classes – giving players more freedom to play how they want
  • Versus multiplayer is fully optimized for Xbox Series X|S featuring a locked 120 frames per second on both consoles

news.xbox.com

Gears 5: Multiplayer Relaunches Today with Operation 5: Hollow Storm, Twice the Content Since Launch - Xbox Wire

Last week, Gears 5 released the Xbox Series X|S update, which relaunched the game with Next-Gen technical optimizations for new consoles and new campaign features. This week, the team is relaunching the multiplayer suite with our largest post-launch update ever, Operation 5: Hollow Storm. With...

Last week, Gears 5 released the Xbox Series X|S update, which relaunched the game with Next-Gen technical optimizations for new consoles and new campaign features. This week, the team is relaunching the multiplayer suite with our largest post-launch update ever, Operation 5: Hollow Storm. With Operation 5, Gears 5 now has twice the multiplayer content since launch and significant feature updates that give players more freedom to play as they want.

A themed update, Operation 5 takes fans back to the battles in Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 through fan-favorite character releases (Dizzy Wallin and Skorge, above), an Imulsion-themed map (Nexus) and a classic weapon addition (the Scorcher).

Five Maps

Operation 5 features five maps: two completely new and three classic updates.
  • New Maps: In Nexus, players will fight amongst rivers of Imulsion in this Locust stronghold deep under Mount Kadar. Regency is set high above the clouds inspiring both awe and fear.
  • Classic Maps: Three favorite maps from the original Gears of War trilogy make their return. Gears of War staples Gridlock and Clocktower join the list, as does River, a classic Gears of War 2 map.

Separated Characters and Classes in PvE

A major overhaul to Horde and Escape has separated characters from classes. Now you can pair any character with any class, even characters that were previously not available in Horde or Escape. Want to create an all-Marcus super squad? Now you can! Choose your character, choose your class and dominate the Swarm.

Seven Characters

All seven characters joining the roster this Operation are callbacks to the Locust War. Dizzy Wallin and Tai Kaliso face off against the deadly Skorge from Gears of War 2. Anya Stroud takes on the Lambent Drone, Lambent Grenadier and Lambent Theron Guard from Gears of War 3. Pick up Dizzy, Tai, Anya and Skorge as part of the Operation 5 bundle.

Optimized for Xbox Series X|S

Gears 5 multiplayer now supports 120 frames-per-second in Versus multiplayer for both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. On Xbox Series X, visual fidelity jumps to 4K Ultra resolution courtesy of the Ultra-HD pack and Ultra-Spec graphics quality settings previously only available to PC players.

Additional Feature Updates

In addition to the major changes above, the team added new features and balance changes which continuing to improve and refine the game:
  • A suite of Ranked PvP updates to improve the overall player experience
  • PvE balance updates for decoupled classes
  • New Heroic cosmetic rarity to reward our most dedicated players
  • All-new daily and weekly PvE challenges and rewards
For a complete list of changes, check out the Gears 5: Operation 5 patch notes.

Gabe Diaz Coming to Gears 5
GearsTactics_LaunchCele_Gabe.jpg

The previously announced Armored Gabe character skin is now available with Operation 5. Players who complete the Gears Tactics tutorial will automatically unlock him once they log back into Gears 5. This will be the exclusive way to unlock him during the holiday period.

New Achievements

No update is complete without Achievements, so complete these 13 new ones for 80 Gamerscore.

Gears5_Op5_LaunchLineUp.jpg

Campaign DLC next month

But the fun doesn't stop there. Stay tuned to Xbox Wire for all things Gears of War, including next month's "Hivebusters" campaign DLC and follow Gears of War on Twitter @GearsofWar.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, will try it out tonight!

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does this fix broken online co-op? Getting booted as soon as we start a mission. Seems to be very common problem.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into Gears 5 with Operation 4 and completed the "battle pass".. I like that you do not have to buy it and just play. Will check this out for sure.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good time to jump back in. Played at launch and wasn't overly impressed with how stale the whole package felt but the game deserves a second chance.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FINALLY they separated the classes from the characters. Literally everybody hated the decision to force you to play specific characters to get minor perks that don't fundamentally change how your character plays. They tried to turn Gears into PvE Overwatch and failed because nobody wants that in Gears.
Gridlock's return was only a matter of time, but I'm especially excited for River. Always loved that map.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish they would break Gears multiplayer into a separate app. Gears 5 is one of the slowest to boot games on series X as it has to log in to servers each time and seems to take forever.

But I have it installed so maybe I'll give it a look.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to be excited for new maps, but the reality is people will just continue to vote for Blood Drive and Checkout over and over unless those maps are taken out of rotation.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was originally looking forward to giving this game another shot with the Series X until I saw the playlist changes. I get they're just following what's most popular, but unfortunately what's popular aren't the modes I come to Gears for.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I am concerned, Coalition is Microsoft's Insomniac. They make great games and they are very efficient. I honestly think they should have a second team (if they don't already) making a new IP.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
FINALLY they separated the classes from the characters. Literally everybody hated the decision to force you to play specific characters to get minor perks that don't fundamentally change how your character plays. They tried to turn Gears into PvE Overwatch and failed because nobody wants that in Gears.

It didn't bothered me. It gave the opportunity for The Coalition to create interactions between characters in PvP and PvE modes, a cool feature that is slowly disappearing since the announcement of the separation a few months ago. Latest characters like Paduk or Clayton don't talk to others, at all.

Either way, it won't stop me to play the game. Can't wait to see next-gen River.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the coalition they've been putting in work on this game and things are much better than launch.

Cosmetics and their version of season pass are all easily earnable in game.

Most importantly one thing that isn't covered here is they have over the course of this year changed the bullet magnetism and spread to be more consistent. This is a fundamental change from previous entries in the series and is a huge upgrade. The game feels better than ever, I can only imagine how good 120fps feels on the new consoles.

They still need to iron out some kinks like party matchmaking sticking 5 stacks against solos and ranked progression but they've done a great job so far listening to the fans.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly shocked they are decoupling class and characters. It was a stupid as fuck design decision for a game like this, but it was one they were 110% adamant about stick with back during the first season.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly shocked they are decoupling class and characters. It was a stupid as fuck design decision for a game like this, but it was one they were 110% adamant about stick with back during the first season.

well considering how popular "hero" games are, can't blame them.

but it is better this way

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded it up post update and instantly popped like five new achievements 🙌🏼

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I know this is pretty antithetical to what most gears players love, but is there a playlist that has less of a focus on/limits wall bouncing and shotgun usage? I like gears for the campaign experience and have bowed out of the last couple of gears games' mp portions due to the abundance of wall bouncing and shotguns. I'd be happy to dive back in if there is a playlist or mode that tries to eschew those things.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I know this is pretty antithetical to what most gears players love, but is there a playlist that has less of a focus on/limits wall bouncing and shotgun usage? I like gears for the campaign experience and have bowed out of the last couple of gears games' mp portions due to the abundance of wall bouncing and shotguns. I'd be happy to dive back in if there is a playlist or mode that tries to eschew those things.

Fraid not, I stopped playing at launch because wallbouncing is considered a skill and you need to git gud. I wonder why the player base bailed loooooooooong ago?

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Yes, the new Arcade playlist. I've been playing Gears for years and it's my favorite playlist. It's the most casual and welcoming mode with no shotguns, very little wall bouncing, and it has character abilities, loadouts and and kill streaks. It's my favorite mode in the game.

There is also a Recruit mode or something like that, which makes you play against new players until you reach level 20, I think.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, just play the Arcade mode in multiplayer. Nobody starts with a shotgun. You start with a Lancer and have to earn other weapons throughout the match and lose them when you die. It's very Lancer/power weapon heavy. Also 'the casual' mode. This mode was literally created for people like you!

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Yes, just play the Arcade mode in multiplayer. Nobody starts with a shotgun. You start with a Lancer and have to earn other weapons throughout the match and lose them when you die. It's very Lancer/power weapon heavy. Also 'the casual' mode. This mode was literally created for people like you!
Great. I'll check it out and see how it is.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, the new Arcade playlist. I've been playing Gears for years and it's my favorite playlist. It's the most casual and welcoming mode with no shotguns, very little wall bouncing, and it has character abilities, loadouts and and kill streaks. It's my favorite mode in the game.

There is also a Recruit mode or something like that, which makes you play against new players until you reach level 20, I think.

I just want to warn anyone playing Arcade that it is full of tryhards. It's not nearly as bad as say ranked, but don't go in there expecting super casual play unfortunately. Though, to be fair, if Gears gets a population bump from people coming back for the Series S/X update, hopefully it should be better.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Gears 5 since launch and it has been interesting to see how the game has continued to evolve since launch. It did put a smile on my face when I saw Gridlock and River returning.