• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah I'll be sticking with the internal for awhile till prices drop. I don't mind messing around moving games till I have the space. $360 AUD just too much.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If I'm reading this right, did they just confirm that the Series X Velocity Architecture will only work for the proprietary ssd?
You aren't reading it right.

The Seagate Expandable Storage Card was designed using the Xbox Velocity Architecture API to deliver the exact same consistent, sustained performance of our internal SSD ensuring you have the exact same gameplay experience regardless of where the game resides.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Why are people even pre-ordering one of these already? Are you planning to install a terabyte of next-gen games on your Xbox in the first few months?

At $300 in my home country, I'm not touching one of these things until there's a price drop. I'll cold storage next-gen games to my current external SSD if it comes down to it.

If I'm reading this right, did they just confirm that the Series X Velocity Architecture will only work for the proprietary ssd?

It'll only work for next-gen games, because they need to guarantee a certain level of performance from the drive. Previous-gen games on a regular external drive should still benefit from some performance improvements, of course - but USB 3.0 can only do so much.

The Seagate drive is functionally identical to the drive built into the Series X, with the exact same performance specs, allowing it to make full use of the performance enhancements of the "Velocity Architecture".

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people even pre-ordering one of these already? Are you planning to install a terabyte of next-gen games on your Xbox in the first few months?

At $300 in my home country, I'm not touching one of these things until there's a price drop. I'll cold storage next-gen games to my current external SSD if it comes down to it.

It'll only work for next-gen games, because they need to guarantee a certain level of performance from the drive. Previous-gen games on a regular external drive should still benefit from some performance improvements, of course - but USB 3.0 can only do so much.

The Seagate drive is functionally identical to the drive built into the Series X, with the exact same performance specs, allowing it to make full use of the performance enhancements of the "Velocity Architecture".
Why? Well for one I have a ton of Xbox One, Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games and this is without even knowing what launch games I will get. I know that they will also have Series X enhanced BC games. It is not like I will play all these games at the same time, but for me, I pre-ordered one just because I want to have the extra storage and be able to have several games already on the internal or expansion storage. But for me that is the reason why I pre-ordered one.

On my wife's Series S I will stick with the internal because she does not play a lot of games. She does already have a HDD External that we will use the Series S and just load the few games she does like to play onto the Series S internal.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

I expect to, yeah

Storage is also one of those things I'll always waste money on, I can never have enough. I'm guessing it's a good thing I rent apartments instead of buying houses, so it's harder to become a hoarder.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

here are launch games

we'll probably have about 850Gn or space after gib/go conversion and OS installation.
A bunch of those are game pass day one; then there are games that have been confirmed to have upgrades that people already own.
It will quickly fill up.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Why? Well for one I have a ton of Xbox One, Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games and this is without even knowing what launch games I will get. I know that they will also have Series X enhanced BC games. It is not like I will play all these games at the same time, but for me, I pre-ordered one just because I want to have the extra storage and be able to have several games already on the internal or expansion storage. But for me that is the reason why I pre-ordered one.

On my wife's Series S I will stick with the internal because she does not play a lot of games. She does already have a HDD External that we will use the Series S and just load the few games she does like to play onto the Series S internal.

Current-gen games can still be played off of standard external HDD/SSDs. It's only next-gen games that HAVE to use either the internal drive, or this Seagate drive.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Ew this thing sticks out of the console. I thought it would have a deeper slot somewhere.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Current-gen games can still be played off of standard external HDD/SSDs. It's only next-gen games that HAVE to use either the internal drive, or this Seagate drive.
Yes I know that. BC games that are not enhanced for the Series, you can still have much faster loading times if they are on the SSD or expansion. For example, MS posted a video a week or so back where they had Outer Worlds on the Series S internal SSD and it loaded the game in about 7 seconds, whereas the side by side with a Xbox One S loaded the same game in about 57 seconds.

While next gen games have to be on the internal or the expansion, having Xbox One, 360 or OG games on the internal or expansion will give you extremely faster load times than you would get if you were using external HDD's.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
In New Zealand it's $388nzd or $254usd. Screw that man. I'd rather buy a 2tb external SSD. At least then transferring will be less painful.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird how they went with a more consumer friendly approach on so many things and then have the storage be proprietary again.
That price is just crazy.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I think the play this early in the gen is just to keep everything in a standard external and copy over what you're playing at the time. I can wait a little longer for BC stuff to load off the external, and store new games there that aren't in the current rotation

Having a 1TB memory card is a bit of a luxury

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So the expansion card is 80 dollars less than an S. Lol that's Vita memory card level shit. MS has lost the plot here. At least current Hard drives will work for cold storage. Hopefully Black Friday sales will net me like an 8tb drive for cheap.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
So the expansion card is 80 dollars less than an S. Lol that's Vita memory card level shit. MS has lost the plot here.
Wasn't a vita memory card MANDATORY? Nah, this is a luxury. You don't NEED it. Most, in fact, will not need one, and for most that do, it'll take a long time before the internal storage is full. Sony was in another stratosphere with their pricing on vita memory

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't a vita memory card MANDATORY? Nah, this is a luxury. You don't NEED it. Most, in fact, will not need one, and for most that do, it'll take a long time before the internal storage is full. Sony was in another stratosphere with their pricing on vita memory
Games are hitting 100 gigs. "A long time" is going to be like 6 months. Less with game pass. The pricing on this is ridiculous but at least the current usb hard drives can be used as "cold storage". Doesn't excuse that the price of one of these is almost half the price of the x or 80 less than the S.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He said Series S doesn't required 4K textures because the render target is 1440p.
And I said that's BS.
How? All that means is the delivery format dictates a texture size limit, thus improving performance of the game due to not needing to render higher textures. It also means the space required for those extra texture resources is not needed, up to 30% according to Microsoft.
I never mentioned Sony.
I only mentioned Sony due to their choice of storage expansion, as they are the opposite to Microsoft. Neither maker is going to have cheap storage expansion, simply due to the speeds and delivery optimisation chosen. Eventually the prices will drop thanks to manafacturer demand, however in the meantime it will be expensive for rather unique and fast storage.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that's so expensive. $300 CAD. But with it being proprietary and a 1TB SSD, I guess it's to be expected. Reminds me of the Vita memory cards.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Substantially cheaper to just buy a 1tb SSD and put it into a usb 3 enclosure. Transferring to and from the internal storage would go pretty fast in that scenario

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sustained random read speeds are as important as peak speeds when discussing the use for gaming. I'm not saying the Hynix can't maintain 3000 consistently over a sustained period of time, but often advertised speeds are peak speeds when reading contiguous pieces of data.

You're not wrong, but we don't have hard data for the Xbox SSD. So just going based off the numbers we know the SK Hynix should be faster.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
the thing i keep people seriously under selling is the option to hook up a regular usb hdd up to the Xbox Series X | S, lets say 3 or 4tb, and use it as cold storage, and at a moments notice take Xbox Series X | S game that is stored on your external hdd, and move it to your internal sdd to play. The NEED for this expansion card, even for people with a Series S, years from now is non-existent

like I don't know if its just the words aren't putting this into perspective, so since everyone loves a shitty infograph, i used my low rent skills to make one, enjoy

XBOXSTORAGE.png

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Substantially cheaper to just buy a 1tb SSD and put it into a usb 3 enclosure. Transferring to and from the internal storage would go pretty fast in that scenario
That's what I have with my One X right now as my primary games drive. Thankfully i can plug that into my Series X day one and use it for Xbox One games and cold storage.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at all those questions and clear answers. Sony needs to tell us anything about the PS5, it's a desert of information.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my big thought:

The Series S and Series X basically have a user-accessable PCIe slot on the back. Any chance it could be leveraged for future add-ons of some sort? (High-speed wireless VR connection?)

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

M.2 drives are already the size of a credit card. I don't understand why they would limit themselves to such an obscure format knowing it would double the cost.

My bet is still on price gouging.

I know it's pricey and all but I dunno about price gouging, looking up similar size CFexpress cards, it looks like a miracle pricing-wise in comparison.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sustained random read speeds are as important as peak speeds when discussing the use for gaming. I'm not saying the Hynix can't maintain 3000 consistently over a sustained period of time, but often advertised speeds are peak speeds when reading contiguous pieces of data.
And usually sustained speeds need a heatsink in order to avoid overheating. This NVMe is a Gen4x2 pcie, with a sustained throughput of 2.4GB/s uncompressed, 4.8GB/s compressed. It's actually very hard to find a Gen4x2 NVMe apparently, probably due to it being Gen 4 and newer tech. I know Marvell has controllers for Gen4x2, but that read is at 3.9GB/s and presumably needs a heatsink for it.

There is a corsair 4x4 but it's actually rather expensive as well for the 1TB, and has 4.9GB/s throughput.

Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD

The CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD provides extreme storage performance, using Gen4 PCIe technology to achieve blazing fast sequential read speeds of up to 4,950MB/s.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
The expansion SSD pricing proves one thing and one thing only: the consoles themselves are being sold for a crazy low price

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
For Game Pass Ultimate titles you could always stream a game if you are running low on storage. Just as a workaround.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that a game on an BC game on an external drive still got all the fake hdr, fps and resolution improvements as if it were stored on the SX SSD, couldnt I jse use a externsl USB 1tb SSD and get much faster loading anyway?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how they went with a more consumer friendly approach on so many things and then have the storage be proprietary again.
That price is just crazy.

It's consumer friendly in the ease of how the expansion works but it will be less consumer friendly in price. In the beginning Sony's options will be just as expensive though so it's not like on the price front that it's a huge difference. The only difference is over time there will be more choices and prices will likely drop faster. So I get the knock against proprietary, but let's not dismiss the ease of how much more simple Microsoft's solution is compared to Sony's. Sony's has a lot more room for user error compared to Microsoft's implementation. I'm honestly surprised Sony went with the route they did given how easy it will be to put a non compatible drive in.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Interviewer didn't ask the most important question.

Will the external storage card only be in a 1TB variety or will option for larger capacities become available in the future. That was a missed opportunity.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Interviewer didn't ask the most important question.

Will the external storage card only be in a 1TB variety or will option for larger capacities become available in the future. That was a missed opportunity.
If you read it, Ronald addresses that. Mentions different capacities in the future despite there being only one option at launch

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
uhhh that's what it's saying that the propriety ssd will make sure of the velocity architecture. What about the 3rd party ssd?
You still aren't reading it right.

The Seagate Expansion Drive IS the 3Rd party SSD

The Seagate Expandable Storage Card was designed using the Xbox Velocity Architecture API to deliver the exact same consistent, sustained performance of our internal SSD ensuring you have the exact same gameplay experience regardless of where the game resides.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Just glad they weren't super out of touch here, and will let us use old usb hard drives as a reserve. Alleviates this issue somewhat.

Personally, I'll only ever jump between 5-15 titles in a year which should all fit on the internal, so bouncing my backlog of games between the external isn't too much of an inconvenience.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I mean it's clearly not the option most people should pick, an external USB 3.1 SSD at half the cost that should copy games over pretty quickly or even a standard USB 3.0 external drive that lots of people have are still going to be the best options for most people.

What is the problem with not having USBC?
There isn't one really, it still has the same speeds it's just a different connector. I wish they had a USB C port on the front just because of convenience but for hard drives it's not a big deal.

Last edited: