• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
They are though. This is a 2.4GB/s drive for £220. A 3.5GB/s NVME drive is £110, half the price.

A 5GB/s PCIe 4.0 NVME drive is £170.

This is a slow, low end drive that's priced higher than the fastest NVME drives on the market. Its blatant price gouging, nothing more, nothing less.

I swear you come into all the Series SSD threads and spew the same stuff. You need to realize you are partially paying for speed but also for form factor. This was made to fit inside the console easily and with that design in mind. Not to mention it needs to fit to be cooled properly with in the cooling systems. Similar form factor drives for video equipment with less speed are 2x the price if not more. I'm not justifing the price, I'm just saying it's more than just speed, speed, speed.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Looks like I'm going to continue doing MS Rewards points and buy one of these in two years.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fascinated to see what the PS5 expansion slot/cards look like - installing a NVE on a motherboard is a major pain the in the ass with the tiny screws, weird interface on an angle that makes it seem like its about to break, and heatsink.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh. not too jazzed about the price but it's good to see that they are aware of the concern and are bringing in other partners.'

When I get a Series X I'll just stick with my 4TB HDD/2TB SSD as my external storage for a while it seems.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they are hot swappable if you put them in a formfactor that supports it. There is nothing preventing NVMe M.2 SSD from being hot swappable other than the form factor. They are made to be internal storage but you can put them in an external enclosure and use them as an external drive if you want.
Vw2AWQJzzhjX5z8FWgRmiK-970-80.png
If you read the article you took that image from, you'd see that the drive has to be compatible.
Tom's Hardware said:
Icy Dock's latest gadget, the ToughArmor MB840M2P-B, is a great way to add an M.2 slot to an older system. But this model also adds another important feature that your motherboard probably doesn't support: Hot-swapability. Provided your SSD and motherboard support it, this feature allows you to pop the M.2 SSD out while your system is still running, enabling true M.2-on-the-go capabilities.
Link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hot-swap-m2-nvme-ssd-icy-dock
What value does the drive being hot swappable have to anyone? There's a single slot in the console, and it's a $220 accessory, I'm not going to have a stash of them lying around to swap in and out. Even if I did, where's the benefit, a console with an NVME boot drive should be booting up in under 10 seconds. Is saving 10 seconds once in a generation really worth paying double the price of an equivalent NVME drive?
I don't know? I didn't design it lmao

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
If you read the article you took that image from, you'd see that the drive has to be compatible.

Link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hot-swap-m2-nvme-ssd-icy-dock

I don't know? I didn't design it lmao
Any m.2 NVMe storage is compatible as long as it fits into the caddy. Any modern OS and motherboard supports hot swapping storage. I still remember back in the day when you had to eject SD cards and flash drives first from within the OS before you removed them.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I swear you come into all the Series SSD threads and spew the same stuff. You need to realize you are partially paying for speed but also for form factor. This was made to fit inside the console easily and with that design in mind. Not to mention it needs to fit to be cooled properly with in the cooling systems. Similar form factor drives for video equipment with less speed are 2x the price if not more. I'm not justifing the price, I'm just saying it's more than just speed, speed, speed.

This reminds me of Vita memory cards. No one liked that. At the end of the day this was an intentional design decision by MS. Since the 360, they have been bullish on letting users upgrade the internal storage. It didn't have to be this way.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No idea why Xbox went proprietary memory cards. I guess they figured it would be easier for the consumer to understand and impliment, even though it was braindead easy to hotswap the HDD in a PS4, for example.

Because some people (myself) don't want to open their console to swap anything. I suck as hands-on technical tasks and once broke a plastic tab on the inside of an old remote when opening it due to lack of proper tools and knowledge. I wouldn't want to damage a $500 USD console. Plug and play is much simpler.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Xbox is continuing to invest in the Expandable Storage category on Xbox Series X|S with goal of offering choice for Xbox fans, including additional capacities and implementations in the future

So it sounds like there will be more options available in the future, which should lead to lower prices. I don't think the vast majority of people are going to need to buy this any time in the near future so hopefully at that point there will be other, cheaper options. It's an early adopter charge. Nothing new.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is continuing to invest in the Expandable Storage category on Xbox Series X|S with goal of offering choice for Xbox fans, including additional capacities and implementations in the future.
Interesting. They probably have Seagate doing the first go at these things but I wonder what other implementations they are thinking about. It would be cool if the slot can be used as a connector for even bigger non portable storage.

But then again I like the idea of this being so small that I can take full games with me easily to other consoles.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Here's my big thought:

The Series S and Series X basically have a user-accessable PCIe slot on the back. Any chance it could be leveraged for future add-ons of some sort? (High-speed wireless VR connection?)

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

M.2 drives are already the size of a credit card. I don't understand why they would limit themselves to such an obscure format knowing it would double the cost.

My bet is still on price gouging.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
£220?! It sucks because the previous rumours had it semi-confirmed as being £159. Even that price I thought was too high, but at least not completely ridiculous. £220 is taking the biscuit. £30 more literally gets you a Series S!

www.resetera.com

Looks like the Xbox Series 1TB storage expansion is coming in at £159

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-series-x-s-pre-order-now-available#section-2 Same info is coming from the people in the pre order thread. Seems atm only Smyths in UK has it up. Edit:

Why are Microsoft and Sony so damn inconsistent with pricing and currency conversions? On certain things prices seem reasonable or conversions fair (eg on the consoles themselves), on others they just seem off.

This should have been $150 and £135/£140, given similar speed or faster 1TB SSD's can be had for around £120.

Either way, it looks like I may not be getting an additional 1TB top up for either new console for some time.

____

Edit: Source for pricing on those similar speed SSD's.

Western Digital 1TB 2.4GB/s NVMe SSD - £95

Sabrant 1TB 3.2GB/s NVMe SSD - £110

Addlink 1TB 3.4GB/s NVMe SSD - £118

Last edited:

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I think their only real misstep here is not having a 512GB variant of the expansion card for $99 at launch. It gives the Series S people an affordable way to reach storage parity with the Series X and might be more amenable to other consumers.

I'd be hesitant to jump in on the 1TB right now because I foresee 2 and 4 TB ones being offered in two years or so

This is what I was thinking. If you are trying to replicate the Xbox 360 Arcade memory card experience, give me options at 256GB and 512GB costing $50 and $100 respectively. I would jump all over that. At even 256GB, I get to almost where the PS5 is and I still come in paying less at $350.00 if I did decide to expand later. Since they can be hot swapped, that could totally work. That's a much easier pill to swallow for someone who wants to get in the Xbox eco-system on the cheap.

I assume from Jason Ronald's comments, those cards are coming later. My guess is that Seagate wants to see how much they can squeeze out of the early adopters who will likely pay more before giving them a more affordable option down the road.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my big thought:

The Series S and Series X basically have a user-accessable PCIe slot on the back. Any chance it could be leveraged for future add-ons of some sort? (High-speed wireless VR connection?)

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

M.2 drives are already the size of a credit card. I don't understand why they would limit themselves to such an obscure format knowing it would double the cost.

My bet is still on price gouging.

That is tiny, i'm with you on price gouging. Same shit Sony did with the Vita

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Q: Why _____ ?
A: SEAGATE! VELOCITY!

Still disappointed they went this route. Maybe compatible nvme adapters will be a thing down the line.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Do you guys know how long would take to transfer a 50GB game from USB to SSD? I'm thinking about buying a Series S, but having to buy an expansion card later would cost a Xbox Series X.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I'm cool with big hard drive for cold storage, and transfer whatever I'm playing at the moment over to the SSD. 1TB of active games is more than plenty for me.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
okay already knew we could play games off of our existing external hard drives

they mentioned being able to use Quick resume from those older external drives which is great to hear but regarding using fast loading they only reference the internal SSD and the Seagate external proprietary SSD.

does that mean that fast loading will not work with the velocity architecture from the old hard drive?

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I stutter? There are multiple 1TB drives with faster rated speeds for half the cost on Amazon.

looking at anandtechs recent ssd rounduplast month they consider a hynix gold p31 to be a high end nvme...it is slower than the Xbox one while also being cheaper

A Samsung 970 pro is also a high end chip though it goes past the Xbox memory to a 3000+ MB/s speeds sequentially...it is 180 dollars for a bare pcb with not the very small form factor or the casing the Xbox card is in

None of the budget nvmes they list get anywhere close

also when you say dumbass stuff like "did I stutter" you come off as an asshole who is proud of his ignorance

edit: also everyone seems to be comparing sale prices on ssds that have been on the market for months to an unreleased ssd's list price

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
T
looking at anandtechs recent ssd rounduplast month they consider a hynix gold p31 to be a high end nvme...it is slower than the Xbox one while also being cheaper

A Samsung 970 pro is also a high end chip though it goes past the Xbox memory to a 3000+ MB/s speeds sequentially...it is 180 dollars for a bare pcb with not the very small form factor or the casing the Xbox card is in

None of the budget nvmes they list get anywhere close

also when you say dumbass stuff like "did I stutter" you come off as an asshole who is proud of his ignorance

...The SK Hynix SSD is rated for over 3000 read/write. The Xbox SSD is 2400.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm reading this right, did they just confirm that the Series X Velocity Architecture will only work for the proprietary ssd?

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
PCI 4 CFExpress cost how much again?

the ones that don't require heat sinks and are meant to be removed all the time?

I think 1TB goes for $800

it's a CFExpress drive not a standard nvme.

It is not CFexpress; CFExpress is PCIe 3.0 spec and cannot handle more than 2GB/s over 2 channels. There is no PCIe 4.0 CFExpress yet.