• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring; Numerous Prior Bans for Platform Warring
I'm only interested in Halo, Psychonauts 2 and AoEIV all the other small games will probably end up releasing without much fanfare. So yeah Sony was right when they said that blockbusters create the most interest from gamers.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm only interested in Halo, Psychonauts 2 and AoEIV all the other small games will probably end up releasing without much fanfare. So yeah Sony was right when they said that blockbusters create the most interest from gamers.
Can you not bring the platform warring in this thread? Thanks.
------------------
I'm interested in a lot of the games that XGS releases next year, especially Ori 2 which will no doubt be my game of the generation.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
FS2020 is big also. The trailers are doing really good numbers.

FS2020 is going to be interesting game to watch post release. There hasn't been a really good, accessible flight simulator in a while and with the tech they're bringing to the table, it could have a pretty big reception.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
  • February: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • March: Bleeding Edge
  • April: Minecraft Dungeons (also on Switch and PS4)
  • May: Wasteland 3 (published by Deep Silver)
  • Spring 2020: Grounded
  • Summer 2020: Tell me Why
  • Holiday 2020: Halo Infinite
  • TBA 2020: Psychonauts 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Wasteland Remaster, Battletoads, Gears Tactics...
To that, you can also add other 3P (timed) exclusives such as Crossfire X and other unannounced exclusive games.

Ori, Minecraft, Halo, AoE, Psychonaughts, Forza 2020 are all my expected 1m+ sellers.

Games like bleeding edge, Grounded, Tell me why, battle toads, etc should still have massive user numbers due to gamepass. Such a great year coming up.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not needed. The camera style does not dictate the quality.

lol what? Your answer to, "we'd like more third person action adventure games" is "not needed" because camera angle does not dictate quality? That's pretty silly. It's a massively popular style of game that many people want more of on Xbox. Perfectly reasonable.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Good to see they're bringing out a lot of games next year. Have to say not many of those excite me and most probably have tiny budgets comparable to competitors' efforts though.

But yeah, still good to see. My biggest hope for next gen is that Microsoft invest in new AAA IP.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So far we dont know. But doesnt have be to every time or every year. There are more genre's out there and quality like the other poster said can be in everything.

I know - I realize that. But there should definitely be at least one big AAA third person action adventure game per year IMO. That should be feasible and the expectation. One is not much. There are MANY fans of that genre. 2020 likely not having one is disappointing.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I know - I realize that. But there should definitely be at least one big AAA third person action adventure game per year IMO. That should be feasible and the expectation. One is not much.
I am more in the line of letting devs make what they want tho. If the next NT game from the Hellblade team is first person instead of third because they wanted to or fits the game more we should be fine with that.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
At this point, it's safe to say that the number of Game Pass subscribers is sufficient for pretty much any 1st game to not go unnoticed by the community (unless MS publishes something extremely niche that XGP subscribers won't even bother downloading).

Like, look how Shenmue 3 has just come out after 17 years of wait and didn't sell all that well. Psychonauts 2 will release under similar circumstances next year (a sequel to a cult classic after 15+ years), but unlike Shenmue there will be a LOT more people talking about the game day 1.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I know - I realize that. But there should definitely be at least one big AAA third person action adventure game per year IMO. That should be feasible and the expectation. One is not much. There are MANY fans of that genre. 2020 likely not having one is disappointing.
I know it's your opinion but just disagree with the sentiment. Just give me great quality titles. But I'm not saying you can't want what you want. I just don't care to have 1 action adventure title per year just like I don't care if MS doesn't release a FPS each year. But hey, your opinion. :)

Feb 10, 2018
lol what? Your answer to, "we'd like more third person action adventure games" is "not needed" because camera angle does not dictate quality? That's pretty silly. It's a massively popular style of game that many people want more of on Xbox. Perfectly reasonable.

It's also perfectly reasonable for a line up to be great with out 3rd person action games.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
That's great and all and I'm looking forward to gears tactics and wasteland. But I see only one triple A game there in halo. That isn't looking quite great tbh

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
That's great and all and I'm looking forward to gears tactics and wasteland. But I see only one triple A game there in halo. That isn't looking quite great tbh

Well, Flight Sim is a triple A simulator. =P

While I understand some peoples fascination with big blockbuster games, I prefer a diverse lineup where each year there is something to enjoy for everyone. There will be blockbuster franchises each year (we don't even know the Scarlett launch line up) but also smaller titles for fans of platformers, isometric RPG's, survival games, real time strategy games, etc. That's how you build a subscription service for everyone.

Do agree that they need at least one blockbuster title per year. But we got that with Gears 5 this year - and we'll get Halo Infinite next year. (And Age of Empires 4 for PC players in 2021)

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
While I understand some peoples fascination with big blockbuster games, I prefer a diverse lineup where each year there is something to enjoy for everyone. There will be blockbuster franchises each year (we don't even know the Scarlett launch line up) but also smaller titles for fans of platformers, isometric RPG's, survival games, real time strategy games, etc. That's how you build a subscription service for everyone.
The "something for everyone" strategy can only work if Microsoft releases top quality games in their respective genres. Eg. inXile should start doing games that realistically compete with Larian, CD Projekt Red etc.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "something for everyone" strategy can only work if Microsoft releases top quality games in their respective genres. Eg. inXile should start doing games that realistically compete with Larian, CD Projekt Red etc.
I agree. Although inXile just needs to be top quality in the type of RPG they make although I wouldn't be surprised if they evolve to more console type RPG's.

Nov 2, 2017
Wasteland 3 is AAA
Flight Simulator is AAA
I think Ori this time is also being treated as AAA
There's no real definition on what a AAA game is but most people would not consider these games AAA. If you consider them AAA you might aswell use the term AAAA for stuff like Gears 5 & Halo as there's clearly a large gap in budget & marketing between the these games and your list.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
I hope scarlett has secretly a PGR 5 in the works having a forza Motorsport for 2021 and an horizon in 2022. Could it be outsourced to the studio that was bought by codemasters with ex bizarre creations employees and assesorarion from playground and turn 10? Edimburg has a lot of PGR feelings!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at FS2020 and what tech it uses, how it looks and the resources uses from all parts of MS from, combined with the close working relationship with real airplanes manufactures. And dont think its AAA i dont know what is.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
There's no real definition on what a AAA game is but most people would not consider these games AAA. If you consider them AAA you might aswell use the term AAAA for stuff like Gears 5 & Halo as there's clearly a large gap in budget & marketing between the these games and your list.
Flight Sim is 100% a triple A game though.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope scarlett has secretly a PGR 5 in the works having a forza Motorsport for 2021 and an horizon in 2022. Could it be outsourced to the studio that was bought by codemasters with ex bizarre creations employees and assesorarion from playground and turn 10? Edimburg has a lot of PGR feelings!

This guy knows what's up.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Phsychonauts, Bleeding Edge, Grounded, and Tell me Why are all third person, no?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although I generally agree with this.
If you look at FS2020 and what tech it uses, how it looks and the resources uses from all parts of MS from, combined with the close working relationship with real airplanes manufactures. And dont think its AAA i dont know what is.
I do think Flight Simulator 2020 has Triple A resources and will be a huge game on PC.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Flight Sim is 100% a triple A game though.
I do think Flight Simulator 2020 has Triple A resources and will be a huge game on PC.
What do we think a triple A budget is these days? $30-$60m? Not to reductive about the hard work and challenges that go into making simulators of any kind, but this flight simulator is different in that it's a game that leverages pre-existing Microsoft service API data to stream in and generate its visuals. I don't think that would necessarily require a AAA budget.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
What do we think a triple A budget is these days? $30-$60m? Not to reductive about the hard work and challenges that go into making simulators of any kind, but this flight simulator is different in that it's a game that leverages pre-existing Microsoft service API data to stream in and generate its visuals. I don't think that would necessarily require a AAA budget.
Eh I think of a variety of factors when considering something triple A or not. Its mass appeal, manpower required, budget, price, graphics, etc.

I dunno if some would consider the game AA, but to me it's for sure a AAA title.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The graphical quality and high production values and the amount of marketing MS will give it for PC/Xbox. The game is going to be massive on PC.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at YT views for FS 2020. Just a quick look and taking stuff from the first page.

Reveal trailer xbox channel. 5m views
XO19 trailer xbox channel. 1m views
XO19 trailer from IGN. 1.5 million
Cities trailer from IGN. 1m views
Youtuber Squirrel. Preview of the game. 1.1m

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
You are being dismissive of all the work that goes into the Sim and you point out one thing that is part of the simulation and imply it is not AAA based off of that fact. The data about the weather and the maps is just one portion of what goes into it. Do we reduce other AAA games because they have tools that make trees and hills easier than handcrafting them? I don't think so.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great and nicely varied line-up. Looking forward to Psychonauts 2, Ori, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3 and Tell Me Why. The last in particular I'm very pleased to see as a part of the Xbox Games Studios line-up, since they've been lacking story focused games.

The jury is still out on Battletoads, but fingers crossed it's good, so for me the only disappointment would be Grounded. Hot damn, is that not what I want from Obsidian :(

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great and nicely varied line-up. Looking forward to Psychonauts 2, Ori, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3 and Tell Me Why. The last in particular I'm very pleased to see as a part of the Xbox Games Studios line-up, since they've been lacking story focused games.

The jury is still out on Battletoads, but fingers crossed it's good, so for me the only disappointment would be Grounded. Hot damn, is that not what I want from Obsidian :(
Grounded is from 13 people at Obsidian. You can look forward to a Triple A Obsidian RPG for next gen.