• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who Had The Better Games Showcase?

• Xbox

Votes: 1,093 21.4%
  • PlayStation

Votes: 4,023 78.6%

• Total voters

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After Sony's show I had at least 6 games that were must buy including multiplatforms. There wasn't single one today at this event.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For me PlayStation had the better show.

Xbox had some good looking indie type games but there was nothing shown that makes me need to buy a Series X.

The cheaper Lockhart + Game Pass might be the way to go, unless they really show off what Series X can do at their next show.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Oddly enough it looks like most of what Microsoft showed (outside of Halo) is further away than Sony's output. Avowed and Fable look like 2022 games at the earliest. Hellblade 2 might join them.

Sony's show won for me since they showed more gameplay and games I actually want to play (Demon's Souls and Horizon in particular are some of my most anticipated games of next gen) though I think Avowed is going to be awesome and Halo Infinite will be better than the flack it's getting right now.
And now we see why MS talked so much about supporting xbox one for the next couple of years and having a longer cross gen period. It's an easy decision to make when your next gen games are still >2 years away.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
PS5/Sony conference for me.

Expected a lot out of Halo. That was maybe on me. But honestly i wanted a LOT more gameplay. Like even a 30 second tease of gameplay from Fable would have been really great. CG trailers just get me like... immediately checked out these days.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PlayStation. Microsoft dropped the ball in my opinion.

Sony actually generated some excitement with good surprise reveals, I didn't feel much of that watching this show.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I don't plan to get a Xbx, but man I'd love to play the new Phantasy Star game as well as the Yuji Naka/Naoto Ohshima game.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
xkuR2Nk.png

Lol come on man!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
ps5 did not fail at selling next gen... if anything Xbox did especially when you don't need to play any of their games on servers X.

If your choice is solely base on console design instead of games then they did the job, I buy console to play games not look at it under my TV.

PS5 games by far.

It did for me. I said that in my post.

None of the two shows gave me a reason to rush out and buy a next gen console right off the bat. I didn't buy a PS4 until last November, I have no problem for waiting years for more exclusives to come out. I buy consoles to play games too, which is why I'm not going to rush out and buy a PS5 just yet (because the only thing I've shown me that I'm interested in is Spiderman). If they showed enough for you to do so, that's fine! Have fun with your PS5 later this year.

I'll buy a 3000 series GPU later this year, have fun playing PC and "Xbox" games, and then pick up a PS5 3 or 4 years down the road.

Last edited:

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox had an uphill battle for me as the xbone was a huge disappointment and BC makes PS5 the natural choice. This did nothing to change my mind.

I'll keep and eye on Fable tho, I always thought it was incredibly insane how xbo never got one.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think, for me, XBOX had the better games (and more of them), but Sony had a better presentation of their games. Sony did a better job of selling their new hardware to me than Microsoft did, but at the end of the day, I have Game Pass paid up until the end of 2021, so the fact that I'm probably not going to have to pay to play ANY of those games MS showed, means I'm buying a new XBOX this Fall, whereas I do want to play Demon's Souls and Ratchet, but if I wait til next Fall to get a PS5, I'll be able to play those games and hopefully at a discounted price by that time. That's kind of where I'm falling right now anyway, but that's all up in the air until I see prices and release dates.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately surprised at this Xbox showcase.
It was way flatter than I expected. Frankly, they knew what they had to do. They knew their last showcase wasn't it. They knew how much gameplay Sony actually showed. And outside of a frankly muted Halo, it still underwhelmed.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Avowed and Everwild were the highlights. Microsoft still don't seem to know how to get the best out of (most of) their studios

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's not that Era is a Sony forum per-se, but the majority of accounts being PlayStation users dictates the conversations generally to be favorable. Look at topics like EA Access or Cross play.

The biggest shock here was that 50% + actually agreed that the new PS5 looks hideous lol
And yet, this is still not in harmony, with what the general audience thinks of PS5 (overwhelmingly positive) which is my point. It's a bunch of individuals who can be just as critical when something doesn't go right and flip on Sony. Gamers gonna be gamers...

I'm pretty sure overall, this was an ok-show, but I'm willing to bet the consensus here is not because there's so many PS fans here. The show was pretty lackluster for me and I'm a few clicks away from ordering a $2000 PC for GamePass this gen. Halo did not land as the next big thing in the shooter genre, Fable was a CG teaser, no Hellblade update, Forza was like the game intro or something? It simply wasn't that good IMHO. C- effort, reminds me of that year where Sony just showed 4 games, which at least all looked fantastic but had terrible pacing issues.

Being reasonable, you know the big TLOU2/Botw caliber game is going to take a while, but I did want to see a glimpse of it here. I got Everwild...

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Playstation.

Also i just dont understand the people who say game is looking good just seeing cgi teaser. Im a big Stalker fan but it means nothing to me unless it has a some sort of gameplay. Every cgi of every game nearly is the same and has been the same like for 20 years.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
Bro you said Bugsnax but then Halo, Everwild, Forza, The Medium, Outer Worlds DLC, Warhammer, Grounded, The Gunk, Avowed and Tetris Effect were meh?

This forum was going to say Sony regardless, let's be real.

Both showcases showed games that I'm hyped to play, both have some meh games, but the reason why Xbox took it for me was because of the last announcement. EVERY GAME in the show will be on Gamepass Day 1.

the fact that Sony/PS manages to get gamers/people hype in a way that MS/Xbox can't isn't down to Era being "Sonyland" but MS having no idea wtf they're doing, more often than not. The fact that Halo isn't being pushed as a nostalgic epic to truly wrest public interest the way Star Wars does continues to boggle my mind... Destiny's general presentation is what Halo should have had for years, but alas.

MS needs to get it together. Truly.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Sony's show was better, but neither show was outstanding. I think people are locked into the high expectations driven by Sony and MS marketing to get them to buy a console at the end of the year.

In reality next gen doesn't really start for another couple of years. I look forward to what Rockstar is cooking up.

Still the element the Gamepass users will get all of those games as part of the subscription is unprecedented in gaming and I feel like a lot of Era posters overlook it because they either don't like Microsoft or say they like owning games (newsflash: Gamepass doesn't stop you owning games that are on it).

Neither matched up to any of Nintendo's best directs.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Ratchet and Horizon were all more impressive than anything shown today. Also Kenna looked pretty fucking sweet as well.

Zen_Mu

Dec 7, 2017
Both shows were good. PS5 show had around 6 games I would definitely pay for, but the Xbox show only had 3 games I'm interested in. So while I'd have to vote Playstation on this one, I am very excited to see how Avowed & Everwild turn out. Also always up for PSO stuff..

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Exactly, no gameplay. I don't believe "in-engine" stuff that is framed to look a certain way anymore.
Gameplay would've been great and it's fine to not trust in engine footage. However I think Horizon and FM both looked amazing, even thought both weren't gameplay.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
I think neither of them probably did much to win over new fans. If they are similar priced I imagine that PS4 players will get a PS5 and xbox players will get a Series X.

Personally I was fairly impressed by what Sony showed, they had a lot of games that I'll likely end up playing, whereas Everwild was the only thing that really caught my eye from the Microsoft showcase. But then I've never owned an xbox so pre-rendered trailers for things like fable won't excite me in the way it will for some people.

Both shows were underwhelming in terms of next gen wow factor but at least Sony had Ratchet and Clank which did look amazing. I really had a feeling going into the xbox thing that they'd show some impressive stuff considering it's the more powerful console and they had that ridiculously good looking Hellbade teaser (which I now seriously doubt the game will live up to), but their main showpiece was pretty much indistinguishable from a current gen game.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, this is still not in harmony, with what the general audience thinks of PS5 (overwhelmingly positive) which is my point. It's a bunch of individuals who can be just as critical when something doesn't go right and flip on Sony. Gamers gonna be gamers...

I'm pretty sure overall, this was an ok-show, but I'm willing to bet the consensus here is not because there's so many PS fans here. The show was pretty lackluster for me and I'm a few clicks away from ordering a $2000 PC for GamePass this gen. Halo did not land as the next big thing in the shooter genre, Fable was a CG teaser, no Hellblade update, Forza was like the game intro or something? It simply wasn't that good IMHO. C- effort, reminds me of that year where Sony just showed 4 games, which at least all looked fantastic but had terrible pacing issues.

Being reasonable, you know the big TLOU2/Botw caliber game is going to take a while, but I did want to see a glimpse of it here. I got Everwild...
I found both shows to be OK, I'm personally puzzled at the takeaway that's Sony's last show was somehow amazing and justified the console purchase, but glad others love it.

What tipped the MS conference for me was that everything shown will not cost me an extra cent as I am already in the Gamepass ecosystem This is massive and should justify the membership. Add to this that most of these games will be playable on xCloud as well.

They don't need to sell you on getting the new console, only stay in their service which I think the show properly conveyed.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
What's clear to me is this is an arms race. Neither one of these consoles is ready to launch this year with any system seller titles. We're going to see a lot of upscaled cross-gen and previously released games (i.e. updates to Last of Us 2, etc.).

Overall, there should be an option for neither, both were underwhelming.

I'm going to assume Microsoft is ready to go all out on price OR add 1 year of games pass to every launch console...something to sweeten the deal.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
playstation by far. MS had a competent event, but it's hard to get excited over new IPs with the lack of gameplay shown and as someone who was never big on Halo, this new one looked like a halo game from 10 years ago (I don't mean graphically) but with a hookshot

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Well, let's be a little fair here. Launch "killer apps" are not as common as we might think.

Be honest: what killer apps that you couldn't experience anywhere else launched alongside Xbox One or PS4?
I'm being honest here. To be fair, I felt the same about PS4 and Xbox One launches. More iterative than revolutionary. Don't get me wrong, I know the eventual ooh and ahh games will come. I've just not seen them as of yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Xbox and I'll tell you why, they showed a lot of diverse games. Yes they are still in the oven, but at least it's a lot of new stuff out there where is Sony stuck with a lot of the tried and true stuff. I'm not saying that Sony's presentation was bad it's just we needs to see a lot of new game announcements for Microsoft and that's what they did. Yes more gameplay would have been awesome. Hellblade 2 was hilariously bad they should have not said anything at all other than they were working on it rather than talking about where it's actually going to take place at. I mean we saw more in the Xbox series X reveal of the game. But overall I feel it's a good stepping stone for both parties here.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the Xbox showcase better, due to the flow and less clutter + very excited for several announcements such as avowed and fable. But I think the PlayStation showcase was a bit better in selling the new console. Graphically I was very underwhelmed by this showcase and I had such high hopes.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Both presentations were clean and punchy with a variety of content, but the PlayStation games just appeal much more to me. I'm definitely a PlayStation fan, but they delivered on several games I'm excited for. I also quite liked the hardware reveal, too.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation had a better showcase. But i give props to Microsoft because now they are really nurturing their first party studios. A lot of people don't realize it takes time to make games form all these Acquisitions. 3-4 years from now Microsoft First party should look better once they nurture their first party studios .

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I found both shows to be OK, I'm personally puzzled at the takeaway that's Sony's last show was somehow amazing and justified the console purchase, but glad others love it.

What tipped the MS conference for me was that everything shown will not cost me an extra cent as I am already in the Gamepass ecosystem This is massive and should justify the membership. Add to this that most of these games will be playable on xCloud as well.

They don't need to sell you on getting the new console, only stay in their service which I think the show properly conveyed.
Well that's where many of us are coming from, reasons to either jump ship or add an Xbox to the gaming collection. Just didn't do that for myself and others I guess. GP is great value though I agree, I keep saying that. But I also am no longer 17 in high-school and rarely play more than 4-6 games a year anymore. The value is exceptional, but it's not this no-brainer option like many advocate. To some, spending $300 just to get a Switch and play Smash Brothers and Mario Kart is incredible value because they will spend 4000-5000hrs (not exaggerating here either) just playing those games that are unique to that system. I also really think Halo not looking that amazing really hurt the hype as well. That's what these shows are sometime about more than anything, hype. A 'game of the generation' caliber title is likely not happening for either platform right at launch, but Sony did nail the hype a bit more IMO. Ratchet/Horizon were graphically extremely impressive. GT7/Spider-man this close to launch/launch window is pretty cool. And the console reveal itself was part of the show and very different than anything we've ever seen.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The actual announcements were about the same, but Sony has some cachet to show a basic trailer for Horizon or Demon's Souls and have my faith it'll be good in a way MS doesn't for stuff like Fable. That said, MS seems in the better launch position because of Halo and presumably the visual edge on 3rd party stuff.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation and it's not even a question.

The PS5 exclusives got me genuinely excited to play them, while on MS's conference I was more like "welp I might play this since it'll on Game Pass anyway lol".

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Sony had an expansion pass, remake of a tired franchise and sequel that's a ways off. Hard to get excited for that. Xbox presentation wasn't as well put together but they had more interesting titles.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
When I Look at this list, I'm really wowed by the amount of games that I actually want to play, and that all we've seen so far is stuff coming to Gamepass. The big disappointment for me lies in which games weren't showing off gameplay, as those were the ones I expected to be the system showcase - Fable, Forza, Hellblade 2, Everwild. Biggest surprise to me was that Flight Simulator isn't coming to Series X.

I would have also loved to see a commitment to fighting games (whether a new Killer Instinct or an announcement of a partnership with Capcom, but this wasn't the showcase for that) and another big surprise. Man, I wish XBOX had announced some kind of 1 Vs. 100 type live gameshow made in partnership with Jackbox too).

Action (a Perfect Dark tease would have made this nuts for me)
  • Halo: Infinite (since it's on Gamepass, I'll play it, but not a diehard fan of the series)
  • Destiny 2 (as part of Gamepass is good for me as it's a game I won't stay up to date with, but love jumping in every now and then)
  • Hellblade 2 (this looks gorgeous, but we haven't seen the game itself)
  • Stalker 2 (super stoked on this)
  • Warhammer: Dark Tide (Vermintide was amazing. Stoked this starts on Gamepass)
  • Crossfire (gameplay looked impressive, but...didn't walk away with much of an impression)
  • XOMecha (Transformers-looking competitive FPS, probably not for me)
RPG (this is a really impressive lineup to me, but I wish we actually saw Fable)
  • Fable (this is the game for me, wish they had actually showed what it looks like)
  • Avowed (Obsidian, big RPG, I'm in)
  • Echo Generation (looks like it'll fill a Costume Quest kind of vibe)
  • Outer Worlds DLC (excited - not a next-gen seller, but like the world/game)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (not for me, but I know some people will be stoked)
  • Dragon Quest X1 (not for me, but people will be stoked)
Unknown (perhaps the most intriguing game of the showcase, but we don't know what it is)
  • Everwild (this looks amazing...but we don't know what the game is)
Survival (I'll play a couple of these, but none seem like things I will get lost in)
  • State Of Decay 3 (this is a great series that could use the extra polish. Cautiously very excited)
  • Grounded (looks fun)
  • Hello Neighbor 2 (can't say it's for me)
Racing (it's clearly earlier than we expected it to be - a single intro race video like the Forza Horizon series does could have been the wow moment. I feel like Forza Motorsport needed to show us how it's going to be different, since Horizon has become the more exciting franchise to me)
  • Forza Motorsport (looks gorgeous, as expected)
Narrative (these are cool games to have on Gamepass for random weekends)
  • The Medium (definitely looks interesting, the dual world is cool. I assume this is mostly narrative, but I guess we don't really know)
  • Tell Me Why (my interest in this style of game has dropped a little over the years)
  • As Dusk Falls (same as above - like the approach, though)
Platformer (wasn't really feeling these, personally)
  • Psychonauts 2 (not sure that my reverence for this series will hold up - I found myself just not into the trailer)
  • Balan Wonderworld (doesn't look for me)
  • The Gunk (I assume this is a platformer? I dunno, didn't do much for me)
Puzzle (pump it into my veins)
  • Tetris Effect (I mean, yes. It's going to be amazing).

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Sony had a better showing, but both were fairly underwhelming honestly.

Here's another Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, Ratchet. Here's another Halo, Forza, Fable. No real big surprises or jaw-dropping new IP's from either. Get the feeling that this generation is going to play things safe with sequels to familiar franchises and not much risk taking.

The one standout for me was Everwild from Rare, looked absolutely amazing. Love the visuals and art style.