• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who Had The Better Games Showcase?

• Xbox

Votes: 1,093 21.4%
  • PlayStation

Votes: 4,023 78.6%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
aww man

UgayL4O.png
Reported

Light theme is bannable

Oct 27, 2017
Everwild and Avowed were my Xbox highlights but man I had no expectations and was still disappointed. Starting the stream with Halo and it being ugly was a surprise.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saying PS5 is objectively...bullshit.

MS stomped all over that conference with Gamepass alone. The depth and variety of titles they showed really put this far and away above the PS5's showing. Something like 30 day one, brand new games you get to play with a $10-15 a month sub.

Halo looked classic, Fable looked spot on as far as style and humor, Obsidian is coming with a new AAA RPG, Remedy is making a sweet looking FPS campaign for Crossfire, Medium looked awesome, State of Decay 3 looked great , Stalker 2 is coming and is in gamepass, Destiny is going completely into gamepass with all DLC, over 100 title are getting XSX upgrades at launch...MS was clear and concise about what they are bringing.

Seriously, it's not close, but once again, Era proves it can't be objective because there are just more Playstation people out there.
Or maybe I just have an interest in different games than you? lol

May be hard to believe, but quantity is not always indicative of quality. A lot of the games shown fell flat for me, while most of the PS5 games had something going for me.

Both were really good showcases, but I give PS5 the slight edge. Especially with it having way more exclusives. I was sold on a PS5, while for Xbox I'm settling with my current PC.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Everwild
Dragon Quest XI S
Avowed
Fable
Balan Wonderworld

Catching up with everything here and I actually thought Xbox had a better show.

Jun 13, 2020
Playstation had higher highs with Demons Souls and maybe Miles, but it felt like there was more to the Xbox showcase, even if nothing it showed hit those same highs.
MS could have had higher highs if they actually showed games like Hellblade and the Obsidian RPG, but pretty much every first party game was a CGI trailer, Halo being the only exception. Everything else was a timed exclusive. If I wasn't a pc user and had to be choosing between MS and PS5, this conference would have done nothing to convince me.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Playstation event managed to create more hype.

But all in all, for me it was basically a tie.

Both had interesting stuff.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon 2, Ghostwire Tokyo, Resident Evil 7, Stray, Hitman etc are all confirmed for 2021, and lets be honest, anything without a date (R&C, GT7, etc) are also there, they won't come out in August and say "this is coming in two months!".

Not to say that there are no games for 2020, but they're third party on the most part + Bugsnax + Spider-Man + Godfall and Deathloop. But far from saying "everything from the PS5 conference will be playable at the end of the year", that's completely false.
i think its more safe to say that almost everything sony showed will be within the first 2 years of the console. a good chunk of the Xbox stuff looked at least 3 years out with what little gameplay, or even cinematic gameplay angles.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Playstation by far. PS5 might be the first PS console I buy at launch because i have no intention on getting a Series X at launch while I have my One X.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
How open world is it actually? I thought it was as open world as Last of Us's section with Dana or God of War.

In which case, both those games looked more impressive

I didn't say open world. It looks like it's wide linear. Large expansive levels, like the Dina section, but apparently with more going on.

Running at 60 FPS is the major differentiator, since TLOU II and God of War run at 30.

That said, I'm assuming this is Series X footage...getting out done by current gen. So yeah, not very impressive.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Fable and Halo were what I wanted to get excited by, but not enough was shown to make me care about them at all.

Halo looks like a game that came out years ago, just with 60fps. I know DOOM is a linear game and Halo is Open World, but I was expecting at least DOOM quality graphics for a AAA Exclusive like Halo. Part of it's the simple art style, but graphically there's nothing about it that shines really.
Halo 1 had bump mapping which really impressed me back in the day, Halo 3 had great lighting and effects, Halo Reach+4 had really great character models, but this one doesn't really have anything I'm impressed by. I know it'll have ray tracing eventually which will at least be something, but by then there will probably be a bunch of games with ray tracing.

And Fable being a tiny CG trailer was super disappointing. We already knew a new Fable was in development, and all that trailer did was confirm what we already knew. No release date (not even a year?), no story hints, no clues about gameplay features, nothing.

And Everwilds from Rare I'm just expecting another Sea of Thieves situation: A game that will have a dedicated fan-base, but one I have little to no interest in myself.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
That it'll be exclusive for the Series X launch. It's just another way of saying "temporary exclusive".

And answering what OP asked: both sucked. That's the reality. People seems to like Playstation more because of brand and because there was a lot of sequels. You already love Miles Morales, Horizon 2, the new Ratchet and Clank because you've played that already. But how's the gameplay of those games? We barely saw something on Ratchet and Clank. Both presentations lacked gameplay, just a bunch of CG trailers.

Sure I have played the previous games in those series and they were all excellent, and the next gen showings of these games - well Horizon 2 and R&C - look more impressive than anything currently released, even on PC. That is enough to be excited, plus they had some other stuff present that looked pretty impressive like Stray, Kena, Returnal, Little Devil, Demon Souls. Visually speaking, MS didn't show much to be excited about outside of Everwild and the Medium. I did like some of the stuff announced though, and will probably pick up Halo Infinite at launch.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Playstation had more content to sell the console, but Xbox had a strong slate, too. The track record of delivering on big titles is there for Sony, however. Microsoft seems a small step behind.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation slightly because there was a little more gameplay, even if a decent amount of those titles were predictable.

Honestly, nothing at this point is screaming "You need to buy a next gen console day one". If you look at most titles shown in both showcases, there were barely any 2021 announced games. It feels like this gen is going to be a very slow start and the next 12-18 months are going to be low on quantity for the industry.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat expected, because of how new some of the acquisitions are, but I was surprised how many games MS showed that we're not likely to see for 2-3 years. Looks like year 1 is going to be pretty barren.

Usually a criticism (rightly) given to Sony, but I think Sony presented a much more compelling narrative for why you'd want a PS5 in the first year.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think Sony showed off the games better. There were a handful of games at the Xbox show that I would probably love, but there wasn't enough shown.

But overall Sony has the games I prefer.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Horizon 2, Ghostwire Tokyo, Resident Evil 7, Stray, Hitman etc are all confirmed for 2021, and lets be honest, anything without a date (R&C, GT7, etc) are also there, they won't come out in August and say "this is coming in two months!".

Not to say that there are no games for 2020, but they're third party on the most part + Bugsnax + Spider-Man + Godfall and Deathloop. But far from saying "everything from the PS5 conference will be playable at the end of the year", that's completely false.
Dude, he said end of next year. He did not say end of the year. Re-read it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox's messaging with ALL games being able to be played in next 2 years on Xbox One makes me think a lot of the games they showed won't be here until 2+ years later. While a lot of Sony's games I can see coming within the next 2 years.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They were both flat and disappointing and neither makes it seem like I need next gen over a PS4 pro or one x

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another year where everyone expects THIS to finally be the year MS shows up and blows the doors off and it turns out that nope its mostly all cgi world premieres that aren't very exciting. Worse yet is their major title was a total dud of a showcase.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation, pretty easily for me, though I really just wanted to see HZD's sequel and it got a good showing, wouldn't say it was miles better, but it and I got Spidey-Miles (really didn't see that coming), Kena, R&C, Little Devil Inside and Demon's Souls as bonus games I'm also excited about and loved what I saw, makes it pretty easily my more enjoyable show.

For Xbox I really just wanted a good Fable showing, but we didn't get that, though Stalker 2 and even though we saw basically nothing Obsidian doing a TES like is very exciting.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This wasn't even close. Sony's show was so much better. I really thought MS was going to bring it in a big way.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Remove the whole console reveal from the PS5 showcase and look back at their showcase. They're on par. But ERA is too ingrained in the Sony hype to do that lol

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just excited about all the games, even the ones I won't get to play. I don't know how people on here can say both were underwhelming. Expectations are out of control.

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
For Comparison:

Xbox Game Studios:
1. 343 Industries: Halo Infinite Gameplay
2. World's Edge: -
3. The Coalition: -
4. Compulsion Games: -
5. Double Fine: Psychonauts 2 Trailer
6. The Initiative: -
7. InXile: -
8. Mojang Studios: -
9. Ninja Theory: nothing new
10. Obsidian: The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon Trailer (not exclusive), Grounded Trailer, Avowed (CG?) Trailer
11. Playground Games: Fable (CG?) Trailer
12. Rare: Everwild Trailer
13. Turn 10: Forza Motorsport Trailer
14. Undead Labs: State of Decay 3 (CG?) Trailer
15. Xbox Game Studios Publishing: Tell Me Why (Dontnod), As Dusk Falls (Interior Night),
Total showed: 10 first party games

PlayStation Studios:
1. Naughty Dog: -
2. Santa Monica Studio: -
3. Sucker Punch: -
4. Bend Studio: -
5. San Diego Studio: -
6. Insomniac Games: Spider-Man Miles Morales Trailer, Rachet & Clank Rift Apart Gameplay
7. Pixelopus: -
8. Guerrilla Games: Horizon Forbidden West Trailer
9. Media Molecule: -
10. London Studio: -
11. Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo 7 Trailer
12. Japan Studio: Demon's Souls Trailer and Astro's Playroom Trailer
13. San Mateo Studio: collaborators
14. XDev: collaborators
Publishing: Returnal (Housemarque), Sackboy a Big Adventure (Sumo Digital), Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games)
Total showed 9 first party games

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think both pretty much showed that they don't have the launch line-up people were hoping for, we're going to be well into 2021 before we see some of the games they were showcasing, a lot of others are clearly further into the future than that too. I don't think it helps that people have continued to hype these new consoles up to unrealistic levels either.

Oct 24, 2019
If you go game for game do people. Really think PlayStation had more good games..????

100%.

Comparing the two big gameplay showcases against each other, Ratchet & Clank looked truly next gen, while Halo fell flat on its face.

In terms of teasers and trailers for other things, Horizon 2, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Bugsnax, Returnal, Project Athia etc. outweighs Everwild, Fable, Grounded, State of Decay, Avowed, etc.

(I want to play things like Avowed, Fable, etc. of course, but if we're going pound for pound then PS' showing blew them out of the water)

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
I was disappointed with the way they were reveled, a lot cg trailers. That being said I am excited for several of the announced games.

All I remember from the PS event is Ratchet & Clank and Horizon. Both of which I am very excited for, so it's a draw for me I guess?

Oct 28, 2017
Playstation had higher highs with Demons Souls and maybe Miles, but it felt like there was more to the Xbox showcase, even if nothing it showed hit those same highs.

Both Showcases revealed nearly the exact same amount of games for what it's worth, if you count GTA and Destiny. Adding Watch Dogs, Balan, and Exomecha from the Pregame show, I think Xbox showed 2 more games total than the PlayStation event. But just within the Showcases themselves, the number of games shown were nearly identical. The formats of each show were nearly identical too. So it really comes down to personal game preferences at that point.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Have some Destiny friends who are all over Gamepass after this, doesn't mean anything of course :lol

But for some people it seems to be a system seller at least.