• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Microsoft have done an admirable job marketing all these different aspects of their console. Reminds me of Apple marketing high DPI displays with Retina.

But that trailer on their page is giving so much dudebro-power-speed! vibes that I cannot help but laugh.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Probably, but not to the same levels of awesomeness as the PS5.
It's def interesting approaches, the Sampler feedback is very interesting they seem to have a way to help with just in time loading of textures which they say can free up memory it sounds like a big deal there where effectively acts as a multiplier for available memory.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Seems to be a lot of focus written here about "sustained" speed, as if they're leaning on that angle for a reason. Do we know if Cerny touched on the PS5's I/O speed being sustained as opposed to peak figures?
I don't know one way or the other but if I recall correctly Cerny used peak figures for the GPU and CPU so it's not outlandish to believe be used peak figures for SSD. Couldn't find any concrete data one way or the other so you're guess is as good as mine.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Seems to be a lot of focus written here about "sustained" speed, as if they're leaning on that angle for a reason. Do we know if Cerny touched on the PS5's I/O speed being sustained as opposed to peak figures?

Iirc Cerny did not say they were peak or variable like their CPU and GPU. Xbox is emphasizing the difference of their GPU/CPU not slowing down like the one in the PS5 or throttling like PC SSD's.

Dec 8, 2018
Lol Xbox and Phil contradicting each other constantly with their message.

"level designers are still often required to create narrow pathways, hallways, or elevators to work around the limitations of a traditional hard drive and I/O pipeline."

Meanwhile Phil says PC architecture proves everything is scalable and weak and old hardware are not holding anything back.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
ayyyeeee

SFS provides an effective multiplier on available system memory and I/O bandwidth, resulting in significantly more memory and I/O throughput available to make your game richer and more immersive.

:O

Traditional SSDs used in PCs often reduce performance as thermals increase or while performing drive maintenance. The custom NVME SSD in Xbox Series X is designed for consistent, sustained performance as opposed to peak performance. Developers have a guaranteed level of I/O performance at all times and they can reliably design and optimize their games removing the barriers and constraints they have to work around today. This same level of consistent, sustained performance also applies to the Seagate Expandable Storage Card ensuring you have the exact same gameplay experience regardless of where the game resides.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is "Xbox Velocity Architecture" the new "Blast Processing?"

edit for clarification: I mean this as "kinda complicated technical feature given a cool name for marketing purposes where 99% of people seeing it won't understand it but damn it sure does sound cool"

That's quite literally all computing marketing, so yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're just captializing on the confusion about PS5's variable clocks. Cerny didn't say anything about variable transfer speed that I can recall.

Dec 8, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): Platform wars and trolling over a series of posts
Nice to also have confirmation also that there is no secret sauce as people have speculated about for some reason.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I don't know one way or the other but if I recall correctly Cerny used peak figures for the GPU and CPU so it's not outlandish to believe be used peak figures for SSD. Couldn't find any concrete data one way or the other so you're guess is as good as mine.
Nah, Cerny said 5.5 raw, 8-9 most of the time, 22 peak.

Deleted member 64241

User requested account closure
Mar 2, 2020
Earth
ayyyeeee

SFS provides an effective multiplier on available system memory and I/O bandwidth, resulting in significantly more memory and I/O throughput available to make your game richer and more immersive.

Traditional SSDs used in PCs often reduce performance as thermals increase or while performing drive maintenance. The custom NVME SSD in Xbox Series X is designed for consistent, sustained performance as opposed to peak performance. Developers have a guaranteed level of I/O performance at all times and they can reliably design and optimize their games removing the barriers and constraints they have to work around today. This same level of consistent, sustained performance also applies to the Seagate Expandable Storage Card ensuring you have the exact same gameplay experience regardless of where the game resides.
Nice!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So not much in the way of hardware-accelerated stuff outside of decompression? How much of a strain is keeping the memory fed going to put on the CPU?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
ayyyeeee

Just to clarify, SFS is supported on current Nvidia GPU's along with RDNA2 GPU's and is not specific to XSX.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame these trailers are releasing before the July 23rd event, all the game footage they use to illustrate the points is so underwhelming.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
So is that 6 GB/s or 12 GB/s (2x when using compression)?
Neither. It's 2.5x the raw hardware speeds still. It doesn't compound with the compression speeds. This works in conjunction with that. You still need to decompress but with this they are saying you can be more selective thus needing to load less into the memory.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So 16GB of GDDR6, 10GB GPU memory.

Are they doing a split pool again?
Assuming this means it's 6GB of whatever and 10GB of GPU memory. Or is it 16GB of GDDR6 and then 10GB of whatever they're using for GPU, since the transfer on the GPU spec, there, is a lot higher (assuming it really means GB and not Gb) than normal GDDR6.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Did they say that or are you just guessing?

Sony said that, or there abouts... I think they compared it to 9 zen2 cores doing decompression work.

I think they're just captializing on the confusion about PS5's variable clocks. Cerny didn't say anything about variable transfer speed that I can recall.

He did actually. He contrasted it with varying bandwidth on a HDD depending on location.

The whole thrust of his talk was about a dependable, predictable bandwidth. Given it's built into the motherboard, it should have plenty of cooling.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
This system is going to be a beast! Excited to hear more later in August on Hot Chips for all the details :)

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
sustained 2400MBS is going to be insane. cant wait to see next gen games on the Series S/X family.

That is one cool effing video!

Dec 8, 2018
This is the secret sauce. Using various new technologies to boost the overall performance of storage, memory and the entire I/O.

We known about all of this for months now but people were speculating there were holding other hardware improvements hidden. This is nothing new and nothing that in anyway bridge the gap in performance compared to the PS5 as some speculated it would when everything was revealed.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
not sure of the relevancy to your reply? im just highlighting a feature that is coming to the series x that was noted in the article.
I was just adding clarification to anyone thinking this was an XSX specific feature, not necessarily directing it at you. You simply had already highlighted the relevant portion from the article so I piggybacked off your quote.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Did they say that or are you just guessing?

www.tweaktown.com

Understanding the PS5's SSD: A deep dive into next-gen storage tech

The PlayStation 5's new SSD is revolutionary, delivering massive efficiency through speed and enabling true next-gen performance on the console.
The PS5 uses a derivative of RAD Tool's potent Kraken decompression technology, which offers 10% better compression--that's about 10% more installations or data on a Blu-ray disc. Without the dedicated decompressor, it would take 9 Zen 2 CPU cores to decompress Kraken-level data.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7134...ep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

www.eurogamer.net

Inside PlayStation 5: the specs and the tech that deliver Sony's next-gen vision

Sony has broken its silence. PlayStation 5 specifications are now out in the open with system architect Mark Cerny deli…
"By the way, in terms of performance, that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen 2 cores, that's what it would take to decompress the Kraken stream with a conventional CPU," Cerny reveals.

And many other outlets.