• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Removed, I was being shitty. But if a majority if not all games end up being 60fps or above on this thing than some crow will have to be served

Oct 27, 2017
Variable framerates and dynamic resolution.
Gears 5 is technically 4k60fps on the current Xbox One X. I expect to see even more games using dynamic elements so they can claim to be "up to 8k 120fps".

I wonder how affordable an 8k 120fps HDMI 2.1 TV will be in early 2021....

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope 60 fps is mandatory but i doubt the next GTA for example is gonna be 4K/60fps.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously misleading with the blanket "4x the power of Xbox One X", cause that sure as shit isn't related to GPU power.
This is my thought, it's annoying that they pick and choose the number to use, like sometimes they'll use "2x the GPU power" and sometimes they'll use the CPU for "4x the computing power" and sometimes they'll leave out the qualifiers and just say "4x the power" which could mean anything and is misleading without the qualifier.

Mar 23, 2018
I really hope they let devs mess around with frame rates more. I play PS4 on my gaming monitor and it would be awesome if I could take advantage of that. Rocket League on PS5 at 120 or 144fps would be awesome.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I mean by the time this comes out it will almost be 2021, tech has improved dramatically over the years, it's not really a surprise how good these machines are getting.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god I hope developers don't try to fucking push 8K res and make the games run at 19fps.

PR talk is just horrible..

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Garrgh, I hate this kind of marketing. 4K, 8K, 120fps, etc, are all meaningless unless they give examples of what is going to be running at those resolutions and frame rates.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Possibility of 120 FPS and 8K? Hoh'kay.

I hate the buildup to new systems. All this marketing and PR talk drives me crazy.

None of these are wild claims. It has enough HDMI bandwidth to output 8K signals.

There's no reason why it can't run simpler stuff like Ori and 360 BC games at 8K, for example.

Garrgh, I hate this kind of marketing. 4K, 8K, 120fps, etc, are all meaningless unless they give examples of what is going to be running at those resolutions and frame rates.

what an absurd thing to complain about. You market your stuff with terms consumers can understand.
That's like griping about Canon And Nikon advertising their cameras with the megapixel count.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i want them to come out and say every game will be at MINIMUM 4K/60.

stop with this marketing speak, because i suspect most games will be 4K/30 in order to get the most shinies.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doubt this? The machine will be capable of 8K, not that your average game will actually run at that res. lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are probably thinking of AAA games at 8k. I am sure there will be some indie games and perhaps some AA games that can hit that. People here also said the Xbox One X would not hit Native 4k, but yet we got Native + 60fps in some games.
RDR2 @ 4k was unprecedented.

MS know what they're doing if they're throwing out these numbers, Phil's Xbox team are some of the brightest in the industry.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
idk, I think I prefer Nintendo's approach of innovation over this spec war that is STILL going on since the GC days.

Sony will certainly follow suit with another big black box and it's just tiring already to think about

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Calling bullshit here, I have a $700 GPU in my PC and it can barely do 4k60 in recent games

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
When did they say the 1s could play games at 4k?

They never claimed the 1S was 4k *rolleyes*

Did I say they did? It's going to be the same situation anyway with the Series X and 8K support. Technically you can run anything at any resolution as long as the box itself can output the signal. The 1S outputs a 4K signal and on paper they could have had 4K games on it if they made the visuals and scope simple enough. It's going to be the same thing here outside of maybe a few low end games just for the sake of saying they have some.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 @ 4k was unprecedented.

MS know what they're doing if they're throwing out these numbers, Phil's Xbox team are some of the brightest in the industry.
Yeah, people were floored and in disbelief that RDR2 was running at Native 4k on the "X". I said it before and will say it again, if the "X" had even a lower end Ryzen CPU we would of seen a lot more 4k/30fps Native and more 4k/60fps games. MS seems to be targeting 4k/60fps for the Series X and that is most likely with higher settings etc.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It also "lies flat"? I mean sure... kind of.

Still, I'm quite intrigued to see what kind of performance target devs will choose. Now you're going to be able to support scenarios ranging from 1080p all the way up to 8k and the same thing with framerate. If anything I imagine performance and quality modes will receive more customization options than what we have gotten this gen.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good, though Microsoft's notion and calculation of power versus their previous consoles is always a bit all over the place or hard to specifically quantify.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer claims Xbox One is 3x, 8x and 10x the power of Xbox 360

I'd also imagine that just because it can do 8k, it doesn't mean games will actually target it. That would be a complete waste of resources, unless of course its an indie game that isn't very resource intensive and thus can afford to target 8K/60fps.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Ya I'm calling bullshit on native 8k too.
Native 8k when playing games at 15 fps or visual novels at full frame rate! The console will still have difficulty running 4k 60 fps with full graphic effects. A 2080 Ti even struggles to hit native 4k 60 fps in some games. Many console games will still target 4k 30 fps due to favoring fancier graphic effects

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think 8K will be even less interesting than 4K. I just don't see many jumping onboard for many years.
Exactly that. 8k is still extremely expensive, and by the time it's not it'll be time (maybe) for next gen.

1080P is still massively popular and only in the last two years has 4K tvs gotten cheap enough for people to consider upgrading.

no 8k please.. give me 4k60fps

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
what an absurd thing to complain about. You market your stuff with terms consumers can understand.
That's like griping about Canon And Nikon advertising their cameras with the megapixel count.
The problem with these marketing terms are that theyre meaningless without context...

nikon or canon can market thousand megapixel camera but that means nothing if its only using 1bit color.(I dont know anything about cameras but the example is fine)

8k means nothing if its only running 2d indie games using 0 polys and textures.

its misleading because people see 8k and think Halo Infinite will run at 8k 120fps.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The problem with these marketing terms are that theyre meaningless without context...

nikon or canon can market thousand megapixel camera but that means nothing if its only using 1bit color.(I dont know anything about cameras but the example is fine)

8k means nothing if its only running 2d indie games using 0 polys and textures.

its misleading because people see 8k and think Halo Infinite will run at 8k 120fps.

Let's be honest the type of person that would be misled to think Halo Infinite will be 8K/120fps is the same type of person who wouldn't even know what those terms meant to what they're supposed to look like anyway.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Exactly that. 8k is still extremely expensive, and by the time it's not it'll be time (maybe) for next gen.

1080P is still massively popular and only in the last two years has 4K tvs gotten cheap enough for people to consider upgrading.

no 8k please.. give me 4k60fps
True. 4K 60fps should be the target next gen. Raytracing is where things will get interesting. I can't see it happening at those levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.