• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sony will have to offer the same feature

• Yes

Votes: 118 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Smart Delivery is one of the main feature announced today by Microsoft :
Smart Delivery:
This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you're playing on. We're making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

Do you think Sony will have to offer the same kind of deal. If The Last Of Us Part II get a PS5 release, will we be able to play that version with the PS4 disc on PS5 ?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's quite probable, as it would dovetail neatly with the strategy of migrating people to PS5 as fast as possible. Knowing your existing games will get a free upgrade, where available, is a good tool in that box, I expect Sony should/will deploy it also.

(Course, it would be up to publishers to support it - Sony, nor MS, can't force other pubs to support that. But as far as they can do this themselves, Sony should also, yes.)

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
They would look pretty bad if they don't—especially with the way the new consoles are set up (compatibility). I'm positive they will but under a different marketing term.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
They would be dumb not to - competition brings innovation for all. I hope they have something in place or developing something similar.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope so. Otherwise I'll be prioritizing my purchases outside of PS5 exclusives on the Series X.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I wonder if this will be a focus on 3rd-party devs as well. It would be cool not having to buy things like PS5 versions of Cyberpunk/FF7R/TLOU though I can't see some companies like SE passing the chance of selling the same game again.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ive always assumed since the mid gen refresh that this would be the new normal i.e X/Pro enhanced versions of the same game. I don't expect to have to pay twice for TLOUP2 or Ghost, but Sony obviously haven't said anything just yet.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really a new feature, it's how One X and PS4 Pro already work. When you launch a game, it checks what system you have and sets graphics options accordingly. This just confirms that Xbox Series X will have the same functionality.

I think Sony is pretty much also forced to do this now.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Seeing cross-buy between Vita, PS3, and PS4 is already a thing, I think it will be available for PS5 as well.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Microsoft is doing it, Sony kinda has to or risks looking like a lower-value proposition.

Not that I think they would've continued with paid "remasters" either as I imagine they can see that practice is wearing thin.

Oct 26, 2017
GaaS and crossgen multiplayer makes it mandatory IMO.

Both MS and Sony have way more to gain by selling the new gen as an easy and obvious continuation instead of a restart. They need to keep the Gold/Game Pass/PS Plus/PS Now subscriptions way more than they want to get a bit of money on ports.

And the PS4/One games will play on the 5 and Series X anyway by retrocompatibility, making the next gen locked is unnecessary.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony already has something similar in mind, they just didn't give it a snappy Marketing Name like "Smart Delivery".

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Isn't this how the PS4 Pro (and Xbox One X) already work? The console is emulating the 'base' version, and upgrades it for free.

So yes, I think they will.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
They have to. And I assume they will. Would be insanely shitty if they didn't.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft only confirmed it for first party games, right? I would expect the same from Sony.

I am curious to hear if they will require third parties to do that, or let them decide whether to have one purchase for both versions vs separate purchases.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, obviously?

With the switch to digital, they would otherwise tank their current gen sales something fierce among other negative effects.
It's kindof an expected feature really, to have a smooth transition.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
They have to. You can't force your customers to buy two versions of the same game while your primary competitor has a "buy once, play anywhere" model that will actually automatically download the correct version of the game for the console it's on.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Microsoft only confirmed it for first party games, right? I would expect the same from Sony.

I am curious to hear if they will require third parties to do that, or let them decide whether to have one purchase for both versions vs separate purchases.

They said it was up to the developer for any non first party, Cyberpunk is the only 3rd party that is confirmed so far. A few devs like Bethesda and Ubisoft I could see opting out.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They should have the same feature, but I don't know if they actually will. This could be an interesting advantage for Microsoft. It basically gets rid of the idea of different versions of a game you need to buy based on your generation. Quite forward thinking and particularly interesting during the console transition.

They said it was up to the developer for any non first party, Cyberpunk is the only 3rd party that is confirmed so far. A few devs like Bethesda and Ubisoft I could see opting out.

The way Ubisoft talked about Rainbow Six: Siege it sounds very much like they will try to sell it again.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It would be shitty of them not to. I really shouldn't have to buy Last of Us 2 twice.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
They'd be pretty stupid not to. I'm sure they'd like the profits of selling remasters, but once the competition is doing it for free, it's one of those clear differences that consumers understand really easily if you don't match it. It would be something akin to this generation's "always online" debacle.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Well Sony already did this on a smaller scale with Cross Buy for PS3/PS4. Lots of smaller games were free on PS4 for the PS3 owners.

But they should follow this now.

People expect one shared ecosystem these days.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They're just asking for the negativity to come raining down on them if they don't.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
It just sounds some sexed up version way of saying our Xbox one games that release after series x launch will have enhancements on series x which was already a given.

Sounds like spin from the backlash of staying cross gen for 2 years.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty much what I expect, so yes, if they're smart :P

With the amount of digital games sold and retail discs installing to your HDD/soon SSD tied to your account it'd be stupid not to offer a patch/boost mode/whatever to garner goodwill with returning customers and keep people in your neat little ecosystem.

Oct 27, 2017
It would make no sense not to. They kind of already do it with PS4 Pro versions of their games so I don't see why not.

LeonSPBR

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has cross buy with the PS4, PS3 and Vita. Helldive for example is like that, you bought one version of the game and you get the other two at no cost at all, and developers could choose whether to make their games Cross Buy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.