• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Why would the quality go down? If competition is focused on content, then demand for quality will go up.

If consumers divert spending from content-makers to platform-holders, platform-holders will have to moneyhat more content-makers to make their platform attractive.

Netflix ends up paying out the ass for old and new content to be streamed exclusively on their service. Some artists have chafed at the paradigm change, some embrace it and have been very successful outside of the traditional Hollywood production model.

In the end, consumers will decide which model is more successful, people who make compelling content are going to get paid either way.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Historic post. Just to be sure, you're serious right? You're not doing a bit?

I´m serious, yes. But still want to be wrong.
They are threating Videogames like TV series or Songs in Spotify, and they are a whole different universe. I´m afraid what it may cause. Maybe we won´t in this generation, though, so I think we are safe for a good while.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I´m seeing less money for developers in this new paradigm. That´s what drives me on thinking the quality will be lower. I really hope I´m wrong.

For "developers" or specific businesses? Any market disruption will mean that businesses successful in the old model will be at the risk of failure in the new one. The developers...the actual writers, game designers, artists, musicians....their value goes up. Their value is not dependent on what margins the businesses have to contend with. That's for the businesses to figure out. If one business goes under, the creative moves to another one. That's economics. Your concern seems to be more for Sony and Nintendo than for actual creatives...which is fine. Not that I think they won't figure it out.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If consumers divert spending from content-makers to platform-holders, platform-holders will have to moneyhat more content-makers to make their platform attractive.

Netflix ends up paying out the ass for old and new content to be streamed exclusively on their service. Some artists have chafed at the paradigm change, some embrace it and have been very successful outside of the traditional Hollywood production model.

In the end, consumers will decide which model is more successful, people who make compelling content are going to get paid either way.

Good post. Agree. I might not be articulating well but it's what I'm getting at. The publishers and platform holders are at risk. People who make compelling content are not.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
MS is not doing the industry a favor, is destroying it with his wallet.

Consumers will have more for less, of course, but I´m talking about studios that are not under this bussiness model. Today what most money makes for the developers is Nintendo and Sony´s bussiness model, not MS trowing some starting money, which will make people slowling not buying not only physical games, but digital games also. This industry becoming a rental universe is dangerous as hell.

It seems you have fall into MS spell.

Sony is literally moneyhatting games AND game modes for exclusivity. GAME MODES. 3rd Party. This is happening right now.

And it's MS not doing the industry any favors because you're speculating that GP is going to burn down the industry.

It's goddamn EA Access all over again.

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
You started off with hyperbolic statements like this:
MS is not doing the industry a favor, is destroying it with his wallet.

Consumers will have more for less, of course, but I´m talking about studios that are not under this bussiness model. Today what most money makes for the developers is Nintendo and Sony´s bussiness model, not MS trowing some starting money, which will make people slowling not buying not only physical games, but digital games also. This industry becoming a rental universe is dangerous as hell.

It seems you have fall into MS spell.
To get to here:
They are threating Videogames like TV series or Songs in Spotify, and they are a whole different universe. I´m afraid what it may cause. Maybe we won´t in this generation, though, so I think we are safe for a good while.
You are acting like someone that cannot handle or react to a changing industry. Not to name-call, but similar to an old fart saying "get off my lawn! Back in my day, etc etc etc"

The markets will change, inevitably. Consumer demand changes. It's not up to you to say one way is good and the other is bad. Microsoft is not the only one realizing this, yet you act like they are the reason for all the potential doom and gloom. Why does EA Access exist? Why does UPlay Plus exist? What reason would Sony have for creating PS Now?

These companies are in the middle of figuring out new business processes to continue surviving and hopefully growing as time goes on and the future hits us. Acting like Microsoft is destroying the games industry by preparing for the future and inevitable change is why people are in disbelief of what you are saying. You sound like a fanboy in the worst possible way.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Lol if anything services like gamepass mean more devs can take actual risks.

I cant take anyone seriously who can't see the benefits. People are still buying games. You can still buy games off Gamepass if you wish.
L

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I see people are brainwashed to protect brands instead of consumers. If markets change as a result of consumers making choices and speaking with their wallets where they find value, then no business is destroying a market. If markets change because of borderline illegal or unethical practices, hostile takeovers, etc...that's different. We seem to be arguing whether it's bad that consumers have a choice and whether it's bad that the choice might be too good a value.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see people are brainwashed to protect brands instead of consumers. If markets change as a result of consumers making choices and speaking with their wallets where they find value, then no business is destroying a market. If markets change because of borderline illegal or unethical practices, hostile takeovers, etc...that's different. We seem to be arguing whether it's bad that consumers have a choice and whether it's bad that the choice might be too good a value.
THIS!!!!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Good that resetera members know better than developers

Businesses being afraid of market disruption is not my concern. It's an impossible leap of logic to use this to support the idea there will be less developer jobs as a result of options, value to consumers and increased content demand. Business Insider already confirmed major publishers are worried. Not my problem and it doesn't support the fear mongering in here from a consumer or market demand for creatives standpoint.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The thing we need to understand is things change in these industries. The games industry seems to be much slower in these changes than others, and in terms of what the consumers want, and what the industry can do, the market eventually shakes things out. The demand for a sub service has clear benefits for subscribers and even occasional buyers. How it works out with publishers and developers is another thing.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
They should be similar. RTX is hardware accelerated.

We've always been able to do ray-tracing through software, but it has always been meant for rendering and not real-time use. They point out that it is hardware accelerated to let people know that it won't be as slow as we would have assumed over a year ago.
Ok, thank you for the clarification.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
As much as I respect Jason's reporting accuracy and credibility, we're just exiting an era where medium sized single player developers died off and creatives for those types of games were having their projects canceled from big publishers as a result of free to play and micro-transaction heavy multiplayer games. Those games were making the majority of the profits. Now we're shifting to new models which could bring back some of that content. In the end, markets goes through phases. Customer demands and expectation change. It's not dangerous unless customer trends are irrational, based on misinformation which would lead to a market crash or destroy our environment.

If the later are our concerns, we should be rooting for less plastic.

Also if your primary and best evidence against something is "some people" are concerned or "people are saying", you don't have strong evidence.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Change is always scary to many.
This is true, not always for the better, but change comes anyway. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs or a particular type of developer to end up floundering in the new business model. This is just where things are going. Content industries have all gone through transitions in this century. For the past 10 years I've watched a number of my friends who work in education publishing go through hell as everything started to move away from textbooks to digital.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That´s exactly my point. That´s how it works now, fine.

Now let´s imagine the future. When the culture changes and people stops buying games over the years, they will be year after year more reluctanct to pay money for a new release. Most will end waiting a year or two until it´s available for rent. The initial sales for third parties AAA games will decrease. If this model becomes a standard practice in all companies, Third Parties AAA studios may be absorbed by the companies or perish.

And we are going to get to this future because... Microsoft puts their own games on Game Pass? Because people are going to stop buying OTHER games, on the off-chance it becomes a selection for Game Pass months from now? Are PlayStation users going to stop buying Sony's games now, and just wait a couple of years for them to show up on PS Now?

It's worth noting those AAA developers are nearly all currently owned by publishers who either have their own subscriptions that include access to all of their games, or are rumoured to be planning one.

Microsoft aren't going to purchase a hundred studios and put them under their umbrella - that would be financial madness. They are going to do what they do now: Use their big first-party releases as the equivalent of one of HBO's "prestige" shows, to drive subscriptions. Then fill in most of the rest of the library based on what makes financial sense for them.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
This is true, not always for the better, but change comes anyway. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs or a particular type of developer to end up floundering in the new business model. This is just where things are going. Content industries have all gone through transitions in this century. For the past 10 years I've watched a number of my friends who work in education publishing go through hell as everything started to move away from textbooks to digital.
True, I'm sure Arcade owners and consumers alike were weary when consoles hit the market. There were company's were born and some that died during the transition. It's just the way it goes, this isn't new.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
True, I'm sure Arcade owners and consumers alike were weary when consoles hit the market. There were company's were born and some that died during the transition. It's just the way it goes, this isn't new.
There is one thing about Xbox Game Pass that's undeniable. It's an incredible value for the consumer, and for discovering and playing more games I would never play before.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Good that resetera members know better than developers

Steep retailer discounts, cd key resellers and deep sales have long since been a force to convince customers not to spend $60 on a game. not to mention the absurdity of keeping the same $60 price point for multiple generations despite inflation.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Developers fearing change does not in any way mean it will be bad for them

I completely agree with the sentiment of others above that there will still be plenty of money going to creators

Some will inevitably fail at getting their share in the new model but I think it will greatly increase creativity and variety and also revitalize AA games which I am really looking forward to

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

insane some of the takes in here.

God forbid the consumer benefits.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The irony of all this...as a 44 year old gamer who's been an enthusiast since my Dad took me to an arcade where we played Robotron and then eventually found an Atari 5200 on a Kmart Blu Light special....is that as this industry has changed, it's gone from 1 power player to 2 power players to now a handful of power players. In the next few years as barriers to entry lower and reach becomes easier, there's going to be more options and ways to reach consumers ever before. More options for consumers. More competition. More demand for quality content and pressure to offer value.

Yet even as the industry has drastically changed, gaming is the one that continues to do the best job supporting nostalgia. I own an arcade stick and can download most of my favorite past arcade games pretty cheap. There's still strong 2D games getting made...arguably at a better clip than when 2D was the only option. Outside of the deterioration of the social aspect of gaming, everything else has been maintained and then built upon. Forms of distribution and access change but the content evolves and expands. Now game preservation is more of a focus.

In the end, just be concerned about consumer rights and value. Gaming is not an industry in danger of consolidating it's creatives anytime soon. As long as the demand for creatives is high and there's good value for consumers, the industry isn't on the brink of disaster.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Out of interest, is there anybody who switched to PS4 for their primary console from the 360, who are maybe considering going back to Xbox with Series X?

More or less, but I wouldn't say primary, I always had both.
More like preferred for multiplatforms.
Already switched to Xbox since buying a One X for those btw.

Also, GamePass is just perfect for my gaming habits. Sony first party offering I can't give up though, looking forward to spending 1000/1200€ on consoles later this year.🤟

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

What will it cause exactly? Last time I checked developers are still getting paid, no?

By AAA developers they mean Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Take 2 etc.

Yes they should be scared.

Question would does Era feel sorry for them?

After all the lootboxes, cheap practises and money hatting. Hell no.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
If you would like to purchase the game, you can do that from the same store page.

IF Disney started to make their movies available day and date with the cinema release if you subscribe to a premium version of Disney Plus. Would that be a threat to the entertainment industry? I am pretty sure plenty of people would actually love that.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS is not destroying the industry it's just leading the charge

MS is explicitly trying to disrupt the industry because they have not proven the ability to compete consistently under the status quo. How destructive that will be, if at all, remains to be seen.

EA and Ubisoft are already pushing their own day one subscription services.

With significantly fewer games for significantly more money, and only on PC.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is explicitly trying to disrupt the industry because they have not proven the ability to compete consistently under the status quo. How destructive that will be, if at all, remains to be seen.

With significantly fewer games for significantly more money, and only on PC.
People attitudes are shifting, and that old method of competition is a race to the bottom, next gen will rewrite the rules, MS are putting their pieces in place to maximise options for this incoming change.

Status
Not open for further replies.