• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring; Prior Infractions for Platform Warring
My PS4 was the first console I bought this gen, and my primary system until sometime in mid-2017. I got the Xbox One X, and it has overwhelmingly become my primary console since then - my PS4 Pro only really gets turned on when an exclusive I want to play comes out.

This time around I suspect I'll be a day one Series X buyer, followed by a PS5 once it's possible to find one in a store a few months later. I just really like what Microsoft are doing these days - Spencer has a really healthy view on the industry, and has pursued a lot of pro-consumer policies and programs that have turned me into a believer again.

It also helps that everything I hear and see about the new Halo excites me, and I'm also really interested to see what the new Fable from Playground looks like.

MS is not doing the industry a favor, is destroying it with his wallet.

Consumers will have more for less, of course, but I´m talking about studios that are not under this bussiness model. Today what most money makes for the developers is Nintendo and Sony´s bussiness model, not MS trowing some starting money, which will make people slowling not buying not only physical games, but digital games also. This industry becoming a rental universe is dangerous as hell.

It seems you have fall into MS spell.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Consumers will have more for less, of course, but I´m talking about studios that are not under this bussiness model. Today what most money makes for the developers is Nintendo and Sony´s bussiness model, not MS trowing some starting money, which will make people slowling not buying not only physical games, but digital games also. This industry becoming a rental universe is dangerous as hell.

Can you show us the deals each are making to back this up? MS opening up gaming for more participants is a net benefit to all. The industry is still relatively niche(Sony's words), 120m users for top consoles compared to the amount of potential gamers next gen would be considered low, so drastic changes need to happen. MS trying to diversify ways to play, experience and purchase is their attempt to grow the industry, away from conventional sales.

Last edited:

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas

lol

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And it seems you're spreading doom and gloom in a market that's constantly evolving.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

hahaha what?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

We gotta shut down this atrocity! MS is making a mockery of gaming!

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

By investing in the industry M$ is clearly destroying it!!!111

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Out of interest, is there anybody who switched to PS4 for their primary console from the 360, who are maybe considering going back to Xbox with Series X?
I tend to get all the "HD consoles" but I was big into OG Xbox and 360 until the One reveal. I was 90% PS4 this gen but since game pass and this news I'll be going back to MS primarily. Will get a PS5 in time as there are just too many good exclusives.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

There used to be entire stores dedicated to renting video games, 20 years ago.

At any rate, this argument makes me laugh any time I see it. Sony have PS Now, which contains all kinds of AAA games among it's library. Literally the only difference between it and Game Pass, aside from Microsoft's own games appearing on release, is that they get newer games sooner - along with a handful of third party day-and-date releases (double-A and indie titles). Publishers willingly enter into those agreements.

Beyond that, nothing is ever guaranteed to show up on Game Pass - and indeed it's usually a long time before a triple-A game shows up on it, unless the game in question was a commercial underperformer (such as Rage 2) and they are trying to wring some more money out of it. So basically the difference between "fine" and "destroying the industry!" is... how fast newer third party games appear on Game Pass, versus something like PS Now. I never knew we danced on the edge of a knife, so close to the abyss!

But perhaps more than anything else - I'm a consumer! It's my job to look out for my own interests! Not to give publishers more of my money based on armchair psychological analysis of future consumer trends.

If publishers are quaking in their boots about the value proposition of Game Pass, and how their games will compete with it, I say... GOOD.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

The most expensive movies and TV shows ever made are from subscription content companies (Netflix, HBO, Apple TV). The theater purchase and home purchase market dying down did not end content creation, it made it even more widespread globally.

Oct 25, 2017

the-office-close-door-gif-8.gif

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Can you show us the deals each are making to back this up? MS opening up gaming for more participants is a net benefit to all.

It´s not something numeric now, but it will certainly become a risk. CD Project has earned and stil earns a lot from physical and digitals copies of The Witcher 3. If this "Netflix model" becomes standard in all companies, these big projects will slowly dissapear unlessany company protects the studio with its wings. Because it would be too risky to make a multi-platform game, people will get so used to not pay for games. The earning margin will decrease. It´s not a magic foreshadowing or anything, it´s how thing will naturally become if this bussines model triumph. Whatever means less money for a studio is bad in the end for them.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It´s not something numeric now, but it will certainly become a risk. CD Project has earned and stil earns a lot from physical and digitals copies of The Witcher 3. If this "Netflix model" becomes standard in all companies, these big projects will slowly dissapear unlessany company protects the studio with its wings. Because it would be too risky to make a multi-platform game, people will get so used to not pay for games. The earning margin will decrease. It´s not a magic foreshadowing or anything, it´s how thing will naturally become if this bussines model triumph. Whatever means less money for a studio is bad in the end for them.
But deals are made away from the consumer, there's an arrangement for users played for instance between game creators and vendors. If the size and reach of the potential audience grows (no console needed to play) that could be lucrative for creators.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
The most expensive movies and TV shows ever made are from subscription content companies (Netflix, HBO, Apple TV). The theater purchase and home purchase market dying down did not end content creation, it made it even more widespread globally.

We can compare with Netflix, HBO, etc, but we know videogames are far more complicated than that. We want to have a lot of our games forever. Videogame industry is something else.

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time I'm also considering Xbox (Series X) so l don't have to bother upgrading my Alienware X51, served me so well since 2013.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We simply don't know if it's going to be good or bad for the industry just yet.

HBO completely revitalized the tv industry with shows like sopranos, the wire and then game of thrones. Breaking bad and mad men don't survive if it wasn't for Netflix.

But Netflix didn't stop there. they invested billions in new content and helped hbo and other streaming services lead the golden age of tv.

That said, i am not a big fan of their current shows and it all feels like network tv trash we used to get for free on air. To me that's the worst case scenario with gamepass, mediocrity over quality. Netflix knows people will watch anything so why bother maintaining a high level of quality.

However. Hbo has had a total of two duds in the last 20 years. Game of thrones season 8 and true detective season 2. Their AAA content has been consistently top notch. Hopefully gamepass will be more like hbo than Netflix.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

I will always back up the more pro consumer approach and not apologize. I vote with my wallet. I play more of the games I like (and in a lot of cases would have never tried) for far less money now. Sorry not sorry....

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
But theres still deals being made away from the consumer, there's always an arrangement for users played for instance between game creators and vendors.

Of course there is. But it is obvious that a studio making an AAA will make more money selling physical and digital copies of a game for many years than selling the rights to a streaming service. I´m always talking about big multiplatform games, of course. It´s risky for them. For Indie projects, it may be a nice improvement, though.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará

It seems you forgot to put M$ instead of MS.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020

HBO completely revitalized the tv industry with shows like sopranos, the wire and then game of thrones. Breaking bad and mad men don't survive if it wasn't for Netflix.

But Netflix didn't stop there. they invested billions in new content and helped hbo and other streaming services lead the golden age of tv.

That said, i am not a big fan of their current shows and it all feels like network tv trash we used to get for free on air. To me that's the worst case scenario with gamepass, mediocrity over quality. Netflix knows people will watch anything so why bother maintaining a high level of quality.

However. Hbo has had a total of two duds in the last 20 years. Game of thrones season 8 and true detective season 2. Their AAA content has been consistently top notch. Hopefully gamepass will be more like hbo than Netflix.

Videogame industry is far more complicated. We want to have most of our games forever. That being said, Netflix is cancelling a lot of series nowdays.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
We can compare with Netflix, HBO, etc, but we know videogames are far more complicated than that. We want to have a lot of our games forever. Videogame industry is something else.

You're right video games are complicated, there's no way to predict anything even your point of view especially if you don't have evidence to back it up. You might as well etch what you're saying with a chisel on a stone table like some sort of divination.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
I will always back up the more pro consumer approach and not apologize. I vote with my wallet. I play more of the games I like (and in a lot of cases would have never tried) for far less money now. Sorry not sorry....

For sure we consumers can´t complain, but I´m afraid this will stop any new independent multiplatform studio to take risks on a big project. We are gonna keep what we have now and maybe nothing new will arise unless it´s under a company wing, protected.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The Netflix comparisons with Game Pass aren't really as clean as people act in the first place. Game Pass will sell you every game on the service if you want (and at a discount). Game Pass' selection constantly churns things in and out at a pretty predictable rate.

You can make the "Netflix Originals" comparison with their first party stuff, but even then - Netflix have spent a ton of money on their original content. The fact that a lot of it hasn't been good isn't for lack of financial investment. It's because a lot of their "originals" are things they've bought the rights to for cheap, because no one else wanted them.

This person also still hasn't explained why Game Pass is an existential threat to the industry, but PS Now isn't.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
For sure we consumers can´t complain, but I´m afraid this will stop any new independent multiplatform studio to take risks on a big project. We are gonna keep what we have now and maybe nothing new will arise unless it´s under a company wing, protected.
The industry will evolve with how people vote with their wallet, as the way it should be.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
You're right video games are complicated, there's no way to predict anything even your point of view especially if you don't have evidence to back it up. You might as well etch what you're saying with a chisel on a stone table like some sort of divination.

It´s not adivination, it´s by far the more natural scenario. I´m not saying videogames will disapear or anything. Not even saying we won´t have big budgets games.

If the culture of gaming changes, the culture of taking risks for developing will as well.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It´s not adivination, it´s by far the more natural scenario. I´m not saying videogames will disapear or anything. Not even saying we won´t have big budgets games.

If the culture of gaming changes, the culture of taking risks for developing will as well.
I think it's safe to say the culture is changing but anything beyond that is pure speculation. You have no idea where it will shift and your doomsday scenario is far from the natural scenario.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
True, but just posting head to head perfomance numbers in % and FPS is not accurate measurement because in each of the tests Nvidia card runs at higher average clocks and thus operating at higher TF.
If you know the clocks which the card is operating on you can calculate its sustained tflops number. Same for any card on the market presently, and it was like this since Kepler / GCN1 really. What matters is performance which must be similar between these cards. Not clocks or anything else.

I'm not talking about testing cards overal capability, we are talking about measuring 1TF navi vs 1TF Touring performance differences.
You take 5700XT and compare it to 2070. The cards are essentially even in performance. 5700XT has a bit more actual, sustained tflops than 2070. Hence why RDNA1 is not as efficient in perf/flop as Turing but it's a lot more efficient than either GCN4 or GCN5 were against Pascal and Turing.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
The Netflix comparisons with Game Pass aren't really as clean as people act in the first place. Game Pass will sell you every game on the service if you want (and at a discount). Game Pass' selection constantly churns things in and out at a pretty predictable rate.

You can make the "Netflix Originals" comparison with their first party stuff, but even then - Netflix have spent a ton of money on their original content. The fact that a lot of it hasn't been good isn't for lack of financial investment. It's because a lot of their "originals" are things they've bought the rights to for cheap, because no one else wanted them.

This person also still hasn't explained why Game Pass is an existential threat to the industry, but PS Now isn't.

1. Netflix has a lot of debts. Millions. They created a snowball and they are paying old debts with the earnings and constantly adquiring new ones. If they stop the snowball, everything falls down like a house of cards. People may go to jail. MS does not have an issue like this, it´s their own money and they can do whatever they want to try to beat Nintendo and Sony.

2. PS Now is garbage. And you won´t see a fresh game there neither. Flight Simulator 2020 will be available in Gamepass since day 1. There is an universe of difference.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there is. But it is obvious that a studio making an AAA will make more money selling physical and digital copies of a game for many years than selling the rights to a streaming service. I´m always talking about big multiplatform games, of course. It´s risky for them. For Indie projects, it may be a nice improvement, though.
If the portion of gamers increases, not really. Try to think beyond conventional distribution, everything being digital there's no need for these games to be $60 anyway, which factors in shipping, royalty, store costs. Publishers will come up with deals that will be worked out with platform vendors. Most of your concerns seem unlikely. And like others have said, people still like to buy games, renting them isn't a guarantee to access them several years later.

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
That´s the point, people (we are talking about the masses here, of course) will slowly stop buying. The model will turn to renting. It could be really sad.
Adapt or die. It's not our jobs to worry about what companies will have to do to survive. Let them figure out how to continue their businesses in the new market. Gamers will do what's best for themselves. So will the companies.

I will never sympathize with "worrying" about what a company does, unless I am a direct shareholder, employee, or owner. Worry about yourself. Worry about your fellow man, if you want to extend it that far. Don't worry about a multi-million dollar company with a fat cat CEO that is out of touch with the masses.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
If the portion of gamers increases, not really. Try to think beyond conventional distribution, everything being digital there's no need for these games to be $60 anyway, which factors in shipping, royalty, store costs. Publishers will come up with deals that will be worked out with platform vendors. Most of your concerns seem unlikely. And like others have said, people still like to buy games, renting them isn't a guarantee to access them several years later.

I agree on the first, $60-$70 for a digital copy is too much considering that some costs are not applicable.
About the rest, yes, people still like to but games...for now. I´m worried this will change over the next decade. If all the companies end doing something like the Gamepass, this will inevitable change. If the consumer changes, the developing industry will change some of its desitions. It´s delusional to think otherwise.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This is the most I've been excited about a console launch since 360.

Same. Feels like a real transition this time.

It always comes back to plastic wars. Revenue from used games, online pay to play subscriptions and console purchases are a large percentage of overall consumer expenditures in gaming. None of that goes to devs. 0%

Traditional advertising and business models makes the vast majority of the industry beholden to a handful of publishers today. Look at the sales charts. Most of gaming's revenue is held by a handful of major publishers and a few platforms. Its difficult to get discovered without substantial advertising.

Rental options are just that. Consumer options. They lower then risk and increase the chance if discovery. As long as content drives those options, demand for developers will only increase. You can still buy stuff. Stop guilting consumers who find other means work better for them.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Adapt or die. It's not our jobs to worry about what companies will have to do to survive. Let them figure out how to continue their businesses in the new market. Gamers will do what's best for themselves. So will the companies.

I will never sympathize with "worrying" about what a company does, unless I am a direct shareholder, employee, or owner. Worry about yourself. Worry about your fellow man, if you want to extend it that far. Don't worry about a multi-million dollar company with a fat cat CEO that is out of touch with the masses.

We are in first place, that´s not under discussion here. I agree on that. But humans tend to struggle to get a balance. I´m afraid this can go through the other side. We´ll see what happens.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
2. PS Now is garbage. And you won´t see a fresh game there neither. Flight Simulator 2020 will be available in Gamepass since day 1. There is an universe of difference.

But again - this is a FIRST PARTY game. If a company putting their own first party day-and-date in a subscription is the end of the industry as we know it, then Origin Premium beat them to it, and Uplay+ is fanning the flames.

Third party AAA games will never appear on Game Pass at release, beyond rare exception, because the economics make no sense for either party. The publisher stands to lose a bunch of potential revenue from selling $60 copies, and buying the rights to the game would be too expensive to make sense for Microsoft. The entire point of a third party AAA game, much like a blockbuster movie, is to make a lot of money. You don't spend all that money just to chuck your game on Game Pass at release. Microsoft will do so with their games, because it's THEIR service.

And beyond that, third parties selling their games through traditional means is INCREDIBLE LUCRATIVE for Microsoft, because they take a huge percentage off the top of every copy sold. So why would they work to undermine that model? Even Philly Spence himself has said he wants Game Pass to exist as a parallel option, not supplant discrete sales.

And just saying "PS Now is garbage" elides my point. PS Now has hundreds of games available on it, and Sony have started adding their new-ish games to it as well.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Same. Feels like a real transition this time.

It always comes back to plastic wars. Revenue from used games, online pay to play subscriptions and consoles is a large percentage of overall consumer expenditures in gaming. None of that goes to devs. 0%

Traditional advertising and business models makes the vast majority of the industry beholden to a handful of publishers today. Look at the sales charts. Most of gaming's revenue is held by a handful of major publishers and a few platforms. Its difficult to get discovered without substantial advertising.

Rental options are just that. Consumer options. As long as content drives those options, demand for developers will only increase. You can still buy stuff. Stop guilting consumers who find other means work better for them.

Well, that´s a main concern. If rental becomes the main and almost only option, content will change. The demand for developers may increase, but the quality may really go down.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
So what are next gen consoles doing that the 2080 isn't currently doing with ray tracing? Does hardware accelerated mean that it's different in a way?

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Third party AAA games will never appear on Game Pass at release, beyond rare exception, because the economics make no sense for either party. The publisher stands to lose a bunch of potential revenue from selling $60 copies, and buying the rights to the game would be too expensive to make sense for Microsoft. The entire point of a third party AAA game, much like a blockbuster movie, is to make a lot of money. You don't spend all that money just to chuck your game on Game Pass at release. Microsoft will do so with their games, because it's THEIR service.

That´s exactly my point. That´s how it works now, fine.

Now let´s imagine the future. When the culture changes and people stops buying games over the years, they will be year after year more reluctanct to pay money for a new release. Most will end waiting a year or two until it´s available for rent. The initial sales for third parties AAA games will decrease. If this model becomes a standard practice in all companies, Third Parties AAA studios may be absorbed by the companies or perish.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017

Historic post. Just to be sure, you're serious right? You're not doing a bit?

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
Well, that´s a main concern. If rental becomes the main and almost only option, content will change. The demand for developers may increase, but the quality may really go down.
Or the quality may really go up. This is a pointless argument. You can't say for sure either way what will happen, the market will determine it. Spreading FUD based on nothing makes it seem like you have an agenda.

Maybe quality needs to go up to stand out in a crowded market full of shovelware or low quality games that would be available to everyone via a subscription model. Who knows, and the only things we can really compare it to today is something like Netflix or whatever other subscriptions out there.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are next gen consoles doing that the 2080 isn't currently doing with ray tracing? Does hardware accelerated mean that it's different in a way?

They should be similar. RTX is hardware accelerated.

We've always been able to do ray-tracing through software, but it has always been meant for rendering and not real-time use. They point out that it is hardware accelerated to let people know that it won't be as slow as we would have assumed over a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.