• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I've been out of the loop, so is the current belief that the PS5 will have 8-9 TF? And how "reliable" is that assumption?

It seems like some are freaking out over a huge gap before we even get an announcement from Sony. I think most of us assumed Microsoft would produce the most powerful console but in a practical sense how big of a gap would the next gen console be if the rumors or true...or is TF way to simplistic to even know?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the loop, so is the current belief that the PS5 will have 8-9 TF? And how "reliable" is that assumption?

It seems like some are freaking out over a huge gap before we even get an announcement from Sony. I think most of us assumed Microsoft would produce the most powerful console but in a practical sense how big of a gap would the next gen console be if the rumors or true...or is TF way to simplistic to even know?

The next gen speculation thread is the best place for that question.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hopefully it'll be possible to use a cheap mechanical HDD to store games so that they can be moved back and forth to the faster SSD at our convenience.

Even if games can't be played off of it, it sure beats having to redownload hundreds of gigabytes over and over.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
001.jpg
What's really funny is that before the Mark Cerny Wired interview people were posting "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the next gen systems had SSDs and Ray tracing like the 2080" and others responded with "Are you crazy?! Do you want these systems to cost $1000?!" and also with that meme you just posted.

That is what's funny.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
What's really funny is that before the Mark Cerny Wired interview people were posting "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the next gen systems had SSDs and Ray tracing like the 2080" and others responded with "Are you crazy?! Do you want these systems to cost $1000?!" and also with that meme you just posted.

That is what's funny.

A budget PCIe 3.0 2Tb NVME SSD is at least 230$ right now, so you can imagine how much a custom/PCIe 4.0 2Tb SSD would be.

I would gladly eat crow if they come out with a 2Tb SSD but right now it's just daydreaming mate.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
here is a prediction: the sequential SSD speed or any difference between the consoles in this respect won't matter at all to the end user when actually using the system and won't result in more frames or anything substantial or measurable.

Even if their fancy propriety implementations works as advertised, devs just won't take advantage of it because of multi platform compatibility. Similar to your DS4 touchpad nobody used, or pressure sensitive face buttons on DS3 and prior and gyro sensors despite the market dominance of PS4 and those were much more trivial to implement than say some substantial difference in the games data structure and content streaming. I hope sony didn't allocate too much resources here, it likely wont pay off compared with just taking some off the shelf nvme SSD that is more than fast enough and it is also easily user upgradable and that will be seen as an obvious benefit.

Here is a prediction: SSD will become the biggest most fundamental change in game design for next gen - more than GPU and even more than CPU (Although thats pretty great). Maybe third party multiplats won't utilise the high speeds fully, but I do think you'll see at least SATA SSD speeds as 'recommended' spec for PC pretty damn quick (although you'll be able to mitigate with more ram on PC to an extent)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Here is a prediction: SSD will become the biggest most fundamental change in game design for next gen - more than GPU and even more than CPU (Although thats pretty great). Maybe third party multiplats won't utilise the high speeds fully, but I do think you'll see at least SATA SSD speeds as 'recommended' spec for PC pretty damn quick (although you'll be able to mitigate with more ram on PC to an extent)

Having those are a baseline is going to be awesome, even having HDDs as standard changed what was possible on the Xbox vs the PS2/gamecube.
Likewise, imagine what the experience for Zelda OOT would have been like if it had have to go to a loading screen on N64 each time you entered or exited a dungeon.

There is a nice to have benefit of fast loading, but as you say, the possibilities for game design are far more exciting. It's one less technical obstacle to prevent a vision from being manufactured.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
DSP was clearly talking about differences between SSDs in XSX and PS5, not between SSDs and HDDs.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I really hope PS5 isn't 8tf and 12gb ram. That would be a real bummer
Oof 8 now? I thought the rumour as 9...
No way the PS5 is 8 TF, a measly upgrade over the X, three years later?

How about this scenario:

The PS5 was supposed to be 8.4 TF with 36 CUs in 2019 (github). We were all supposed to be playing PS5 games now. TLOU 2 cross gen was probably going to be a launch window game. Same with Cyberpunk 2077 I imagine. This was supposed to be a repeat of PS2 2000 and Xbox 2001.

At AMD's, raytracing and/or Backcompat had unexpected setbacks and Sony delayed launch to 2020. In that year, they did what they could, spent more money on cooling (bloomberg) to boost the clock to 2.0 Ghz (github) , which gives them 9.2 TF. Closing the gap with Xbox by 1 TF. This explains the 12GB of memory (reddit) vs 16GB on the SeX deficit as well. 9 TF requires 25% less memory bandwidth than 12 TF. I expect this deficit to be gone today since RAM is easy to upgrade late, unlike APUs.

Everything in the old reddit leak checks out too well to be fake. Some of the predictions would've been ludicrous back then.

Another scenario would be that Sony managed to up their CU count by 50% to 54 CUs in record time. It's never been done but there is a first time for everything. If that were the case, they would be effectively tied with SeX. We're talking 3% slower.

But what would this 30% GPU deficit translate into? Surely not 30FPS vs 60 or anything like that?

Worst case scenario, At equal res, It's like 24 vs 30 FPS or 45 vs 60 FPS. The latter isn't too bad on HDMI 2.1 TVs, but the first is definitely bad. But that's worst case. Best case the resolution will be dynamic and the image will just look a tiny bit fuzzier on the PS5 without loss of framerate.

Someone unearthed this old post that turned out to be right about things (such as Xbox one S and X names, TF count, SSD, Sony plans, etc.) that were confirmed later. It has 0 claims that have been credibly contradicted by someone credible (such as Digital Foundry).

Bottom line, it looks like Sony's plans got wrecked when they couldn't release in 2019. Someone made a really bad technical prediction. They took a deliberate risk and it didn't payoff. Now they must mitigate as best they can until 2023 when they can release the PS5pro @ 18TF.

On its head, this is a story of triumph for Microsoft. Their hardware engineers knocked it out the park. I can't wait for the insider story on how the SeX sausage got made. (no pun intended!)

Games are pushing 150GB. With system reservations You'll barely fit five games on a 1TB. Anything less than 2TB would be barely functional imo.

The vast majority of current games are still under 50GB, actually. There will be no next-gen increase in asset sizes since 4k assets have been a thing since PS4pro. In fact, we should see some small decrease thanks to SSD performance (no more data cloning hacks for slow HDDs) , deletable single player campaigns and some texture compression made possible by increased SSD and CPU speeds.

But worry not, for people like you and me, there will be premium consoles that comes with 2TB SSD at $599. Guaranteed! They do it every time.

Last edited:

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Would it be dumb to purchase an Xbox One X right now? All of this news has made me want to hop into this ecosystem...

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
How about this scenario:

The PS5 was supposed to be 8.4 TF with 36 CUs in 2019. We were all supposed to be playing PS5 games now. TLOU 2 cross gen was probably going to be a launch window game. Same with Cyberpunk 2077 I imagine. This was supposed to be a repeat of PS2 2000 and Xbox 2001.

If 2019 was their original launch window, this is probably what happened yes. And it explains the possible 9TF machine.

I am sure Netflix documentaries will be made about this in 3 years ;)

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think they went live right as the announcement for the X happened last time out at E3. I remember ordering asap from Amazon. I assume they'll do the same?
They'll definitely have an event before E3 if you ask me. Way too much to talk about, way too many games to show, and maybe even the Lockhart console to show off. They can't only do E3.

Will we get the price at that event? I don't know. They could just do all console and some games at the event including the price and release date and then make E3 for games only.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about this scenario:

The PS5 was supposed to be 8.4 TF with 36 CUs in 2019 (github). We were all supposed to be playing PS5 games now. TLOU 2 cross gen was probably going to be a launch window game. Same with Cyberpunk 2077 I imagine. This was supposed to be a repeat of PS2 2000 and Xbox 2001.

At AMD's, raytracing and/or Backcompat had unexpected setbacks and Sony delayed launch to 2020. In that year, they did what they could, spent more money on cooling (bloomberg) to boost the clock to 2.0 Ghz (github) , which gives them 9.2 TF. Closing the gap with Xbox by 1 TF. This explains the 12GB of memory (reddit) vs 16GB on the SeX deficit as well. 9 TF requires 25% less memory bandwidth than 12 TF. I expect this deficit to be gone today since RAM is easy to upgrade late, unlike APUs.

Everything in the old reddit leak checks out too well to be fake. Some of the predictions would've been ludicrous back then.

Another scenario would be that Sony managed to up their CU count by 50% to 54 CUs in record time. It's never been done but there is a first time for everything. If that were the case, they would be effectively tied with SeX. We're talking 3% slower.

Worst case scenario, At equal res, It's like 24 vs 30 FPS or 45 vs 60 FPS. The latter isn't too bad on HDMI 2.1 TVs, but the first is definitely bad. But that's worst case. Best case the resolution will be dynamic and the image will just look a tiny bit fuzzier on the PS5 without loss of framerate.

Someone unearthed this old post that turned out to be right about things (such as Xbox one S and X names, TF count, SSD, Sony plans, etc.) that were confirmed later. It has 0 claims that have been credibly contradicted by someone credible (such as Digital Foundry).

Bottom line, it looks like Sony's plans got wrecked when they couldn't release in 2019. Someone made a really bad technical prediction. They took a deliberate risk and it didn't payoff. Now they must mitigate as best they can until 2023 when they can release the PS5pro @ 18TF.

On its head, this is a story of triumph for Microsoft. Their hardware engineers knocked it out the park. I can't wait for the insider story on how the SeX sausage got made. (no pun intended!)

The vast majority of current games are still under 50GB, actually. There will be no next-gen increase in asset sizes since 4k assets have been a thing since PS4pro. In fact, we should see some small decrease thanks to SSD performance (no more data cloning hacks for slow HDDs) , deletable single player campaigns and some texture compression made possible by increased SSD and CPU speeds.

But worry not, for people like you and me, there will be premium consoles that comes with 2TB SSD at $599. Guaranteed! They do it every time.
Yea, sounds plausible if they were planning to launch in 2019.
It makes more sense on why they are so quiet about the thing... they've been cornered into saying nothing because aside from the SSD, there's not much they can boast about.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020

That post seems more accurate than any insider so far. It gave detailed information which I haven't seen any insider do and was spot on for the most part back when ppl would consider it ludicrous.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Would it be dumb to purchase an Xbox One X right now? All of this news has made me want to hop into this ecosystem...
I got one for like 260 Euros last fall and it's been an awesome upgrade from my OG Xbox One. If you can get a good deal and use Game Pass it's definitely a good decision IMO. There's tons to explore and Game Pass offers lots of smaller yet brilliant experiences so it's still manageable (while also offering lots of huge games of course).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Depends if you care about wanting the best of the best or a steep discount.

All first party games will come to Xbox One for the next 1-2 years according to interviews. If you want a steep discount and don't want the Series X then wait until closer to launch.

If money isn't an issue then go for it.

Either way you'll get a ton of great games, it's just depends on what you want in terms of performance/visuals and price.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If you plan to buy a Series X at launch, then I wouldn't unless you get some amazing trade in deal. It's a great system but it has maximum 9-10 months as their premier system left. If you still want a powerful console and don't mind waiting for next gen a bit due to the cross-gen transition period, then it's a good buy because of well all the reasons you're interested in it. If money isn't a huge concern then jump in.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily frame it as lowballing. It more seems like trying to hit a balance of power and price with a single SKU. MS is doing a whole different thing by going dual SKU at once, going high and low. You can call Sony's approach Goldilocks approach and MS going for Papa bear and Baby bear approach.

Well, to me next gen should be 'Papa Bear' and anything less than that is lowballing ha ha. Coming in at such a drastic drop from the direct competition is definitely not 'just right' for me.

Yeah, it's a bit baffling from Sony if true, which seems likely. If they end up 8-9TF, how did they think just barely beating One X in nominal flops (ignoring architecture gains) was acceptable? They basically went for the most mainstream, inexpensive, milquetoast SOC. Maybe they figured SSD and Zen 2 was "enough" advancements to wow people that they didnt have to go wild on the GPU. Maybe they just wanted a mainstream price pointed, highly profitable, but still well performing, console.

If this is the case, then everything about it is just so wrong to me.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

That is what's funny.

That meme is perfectly valid for any assumption that base units will have 2TB SSDs. Won't happen.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

You could buy a used one for now, then trade it in at launch. You can get a One X for £250 at CEX in the UK, play it for a 6 months and sell it back for about £130-£145. So you'd get 6 months gaming or so for £120 or so, depending on price drops for resale leading up to release.

Similarly you can get a One S for £165 and trade it in for £95. So 6 months for £70.

Alternatively, keep the box for a 2nd room.

There's so much in the eco-system now if you've skipped the gen up to this point. A game pass trial itself will cover the cost of the console in terms of the number of games you'll end up playing during the trial.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
I think you will see both actually, Recommended Requirements are going to list at least 24GBs of RAM and a SATA 3 SSD. This is pretty much unavoidable.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be answering to something I have not mentioned at all. I'm not talking about the performance of machine learning code running on current AMD GPUs, compared to the dedicated hardware on Nvidia GPUs. I'm talking about the likelihood of the next gen Xbox to use and support machine learning upscaling, based on the fact that Microsoft has shown directml and the fact that AMD has already confirmed they are having good results with this code on their current GPUs. This doesn't mean that the performance they had back on early 2019 is equal or close to the one on current Nvidia GPUs, but it is reasonable to expect for this to keep evolving on AMD and Microsoft side, so by the time the XSX launches, it has a solution that is capable of running in real time.
I'm not interested in what AMD "has already confirmed", I'm saying as plainly as I can that it won't be possible to do ML upscaling in real time in parallel to actual rendering without tensor h/w. It just won't happen, due to performance reasons. TAAU and such would be a much better approach on GPUs without dedicated ML h/w.

That's interesting. Do you have a source for that? I thought it was made so that AMD also can utilize machine learning in games.
Any modern D3D12 GPU can support DXML (same as DXR btw) but what exactly would be a point in supporting it on a GPU which can't actually run such workloads with enough performance? Again, fully similar to DXR.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Yea, sounds plausible if they were planning to launch in 2019.
It makes more sense on why they are so quiet about the thing... they've been cornered into saying nothing because aside from the SSD, there's not much they can boast about.
Yeah, I'm still convinced 2019 was their original target. If you look at their release schedule a lot of stuff got delayed. If they hit their original targetted dates, Days Gone would have been 2018 and The Last of Us 2 would have been 2019. As it stands, 2019 was already one of the lighter years for their first party games, 2020 would have been anemic if their games hit their original scheduled times. IIRC weren't Zen 2 and Navi pushed back a bit too?

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Your entire post summarises almost perfectly how I think the story for the PS5 has come together so far.

I do also think that, you mention the Series X insider story, what I'd do for the PS5 inside scoop after it's come out. Whether it's 9.2tf or 12, there's a hell of a story in there. I'd be gutted if we don't get to read it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I would just wait for Series X personally, I own the 1X it's amazing but even at its recent retail discount you likely won't get a fair trade in value (we never do) after Series X is out. I'm guessing MS wants to launch as early as possible too, I wouldn't be surprised to see a late October/Early Nov release date.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like $550-599. Which is fine, Lockheart will be for others.

But wow, this confidence from MS is comforting, shown off final working model, game demonstration, specs, it does seem like they have a plan and know they got some of that magic people want.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
How about this scenario:

I can't imagine they wanted a new console in 2019, with the PS4 doing so well there is no need to rush one out.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Wait where is this PS5 being 9 TF coming from?
There is no way, it would put it half way between the X and Series X, that's insane for launching day and date.... unless they plan to launch at $349 or something...
Maybe they put too much stock in that SSD and their GPU suffered for it. Interesting.

At 349 dollars, they would murder the Xbox X. Not going to be sold at such a low price...

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I can't imagine they wanted a new console in 2019, with the PS4 doing so well there is no need to rush one out.

The Playstation was king of the mountain in all territories when the PS2 launched. Star Wars, TLOU2, Doom, FF7, and Cyberpunk definitive editions all in the first 6 months, along with a handful of true exclusives, and it would have easily sold out everywhere. I mean, PS5 will still sell out everywhere, but having 12mo first mover advantage and a pricing advantage would've put MS in a hole that no 25% increase in power could overcome, just like the PS2.

Oct 25, 2017

Getting a year's headstart over the competition is pretty big though. It's what put 360 initially in the lead over PS3. When PS3 launched, people were faced with the choice of an expensive console with a meagre selection of launch titles, or a cheaper system which had a year's back catalogue already (including Gears, Dead Rising, Oblivion).

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
The Playstation was king of the mountain in all territories when the PS2 launched. Star Wars, TLOU2, Doom, FF7, and Cyberpunk definitive editions all in the first 6 months, along with a handful of true exclusives, and it would have easily sold out everywhere. I mean, PS5 will still sell out everywhere, but having 12mo first mover advantage and a pricing advantage would've put MS in a hole that no 25% increase in power could overcome, just like the PS2.
Maybe.....if this is true then Microsoft have proper put a spanner in the works and put them on the back foot.
So far, Microsoft are playing this brilliantly.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe.....if this is true then Microsoft have proper put a spanner in the works and put them on the back foot.
So far, Microsoft are playing this brilliantly.
It does feel as if MS have put a lot of planning into how they'll message next gen, and it's working for them. Stroke of genius on Spencer's behalf on simply publishing a blog, given the absence of anything concrete about next gen at the moment the industry press have done all the work for them, uncontested by competition.

Last edited:

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
How about this scenario:

This is the most comprehensive take I've seen on things to date, well said.
I'd add that perhaps Sony always had 54 CU and had 18 CU disabled for Github testing.
But your argument really does make some sense in light of PlayStation's silence.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel as if MS have put a lot of planning into how they'll message next gen, and it's working for them. Stroke of genius of Spencer's behalf on simply publishing a blog, given the absence of anything concrete about next gen at the moment the industry press have done all the work for them, uncontested by competition.
Yep, and they've really set up an expectation in that if Sony announces anything lower than 12TF, which I'm assuming Microsoft expects is what will happen, they'll be immediately framed in a negative light from a power standpoint.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats why i hope sony will compensate for it with very High quality exclusives
Well the thing is, it really looks as though Microsoft is going to bring it with next-gen exclusives as well. Halo: Infinite, Hellblade II, Obsidian's AAA game, the heavily rumored Perfect Dark and Fable games.... Next-gen is going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to pick both of these consoles up day one.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is a prediction: SSD will become the biggest most fundamental change in game design for next gen - more than GPU and even more than CPU (Although thats pretty great).
I've been thinking about this for a while. I feel like streaming tech has been very good even with hdd drives. What would be a "fundamental change in game design" brought on by SSDs being standard in all consoles? Honestly all I can think of is the end of the "slow walk & talk to load next part of the level" that's so prevalent in some games these days. Sure, there are some games (Prey 2017 comes to mind) where there's an insane amount of loading due to backtracking, but at most the improvement would go from having to wait 30+ seconds to load a new level to maybe having something like Metroid Prime where the door takes an extra couple of seconds to open while loading in the background.

Could we maybe see things like in Inception or Dr Strange where the level would re-configure itself in real time and all of the architecture/design of the level changes while you're traversing it?

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that with Smart Delivery any 1st party games you buy on Xbox One will become a Series X title if it comes to that platform, and considering the Series X will support 4 generations of backwards compatibility... No, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. You'll bring your library with you when you pick up a Series X, and there's tons of stuff that you could catch up on over the next several months.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the thing is, it really looks as though Microsoft is going to bring it with next-gen exclusives as well. Halo: Infinite, Hellblade II, Obsidian's AAA game, the heavily rumored Perfect Dark and Fable games.... Next-gen is going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to pick both of these consoles up day one.

i dont doubt microsoft will bring it, im in day one for the series x, halo and forza 8 basically gurantee that, on top of my massive xbox one library. ps5 im gonna wait a year or so for. But they could effectively shut down the power complaint by Showing off super impressive power house titles like horizon 2.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
A budget PCIe 3.0 2Tb NVME SSD is at least 230$ right now, so you can imagine how much a custom/PCIe 4.0 2Tb SSD would be.

I would gladly eat crow if they come out with a 2Tb SSD but right now it's just daydreaming mate.
A year ago everything that has been confirmed about the Xbox Series X would have been considered "just daydreaming" but look where we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.