• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
When PS4 and X1 was being launched, Activision offered a discount for ppl who already bought COD Ghost on older hardware. That's the closest we have come to this in the past.

The cross-buy you guys are referring to is just vita games on PS4 or Xbox games on PC. its not exactly the same thing.

There are ps3-ps4 cross buy games, not many (only 67 and digital only) but they do exist, all are small games like Journey, Hotline Miami 2

Last edited:

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
There are probably still a lot of 3rd party games not coming to PC, or not coming day one to PC, but if that doesn't bother you then go build a VERY capable PC.
These days, especially looking at Japanese games, the Xbox is the platform that's ignored for whatever reason, not so much the PC which tends to get everything including it's own third party games. Interesting how things have changed, and one of the main reasons why I will likely opt for a PC upgrade instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
What I've seen from Microsoft this gen that I haven't seen from them at the start of any gen since Xbox OG is a complete focus on games and making the game experience as good for the gamer as possible. None of the features here involve tv, movies, peripherals, apps, etc. it is all focused on how it benefits us playing games. That is wild to me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Am I understanding the back compat part right, back compat games will automatically run at a higher resolution???

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

Ha! Vince knows power when he sees it. It impresses him.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are actually a lot more 3rd party games on PC not coming to console, considering there is no curation on PC.

These days, at least looking at Japanese games, the Xbox is the platform that's ignored for whatever reason, not so much the PC. Interesting how things have changed, and one of the main reasons why I will likely opt for a PC upgrade instead.

I guess it just depends what you're into. I don't believe that EA sports games release on PC. Those are basically the games that appear in the NPD's every month of every year, and they are only playable on consoles. MLB the Show we've heard is going multiplatform, but I don't believe Sony has specifically said it would come to PC. I know there are a LOT of PC only games too, but you look at even the biggest selling game of 2018 (Red Dead 2) didn't come to PC until 2019. So I'm just saying, if you don't care about the console exclusive games and have the money to do so, build a comparable PC to XBOX SX, or if you do care more about the PC exclusive games, obviously then go with PC. But if you care about playing Sports games, or maybe the next Rockstar game day one, or just want the simplicity and price point of a console, then maybe XBOX or PS5 will be the answer.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These days, especially looking at Japanese games, the Xbox is the platform that's ignored for whatever reason, not so much the PC which tends to get everything including it's own third party games. Interesting how things have changed, and one of the main reasons why I will likely opt for a PC upgrade instead.
asia, they want to sell to korea and china which are more pc focused.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Is it confirmed that RDNA 2 is more efficient than 1?

Not that I am aware based purely off of HW architecture. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility given 12TF implies serious wattage for the console and perhaps RDNA2 may help with that. However, efficiency gains from supporting forward looking features like VRS (depending on Tier) is also likely.

Unless AMD outlines efficiency gains for their next line of (Big) Navi cards, that are RDNA 2 as well, we can only speculate.

However, IIRC, a few Speculation OTs ago, a graph was presented that highlighted efficiency gains for 7nm node (not N7+) from maturation of fab process that ironed out bugs. And afaik, it was something in the ball park of 5% extra performance for pre-existing wattage. So, there are a few factors that may go into making RDNA 2 more efficient that RDNA (esp. first gen).

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I still have three years of Gamepass ultimate for free. I'm super excited for next gen.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I guess it just depends what you're into. I don't believe that EA sports games release on PC. Those are basically the games that appear in the NPD's every month of every year, and they are only playable on consoles. MLB the Show we've heard is going multiplatform, but I don't believe Sony has specifically said it would come to PC. I know there are a LOT of PC only games too, but you look at even the biggest selling game of 2018 (Red Dead 2) didn't come to PC until 2019. So I'm just saying, if you don't care about the console exclusive games and have the money to do so, build a comparable PC to XBOX SX, or if you do care more about the PC exclusive games, obviously then go with PC. But if you care about playing Sports games, or maybe the next Rockstar game day one, or just want the simplicity and price point of a console, then maybe XBOX or PS5 will be the answer.
The Madden and FIFA games are on PC now, and Bloomberg reported PC as a platform for MLB. But yes late ports are annoying, but rare and not an issue if you like PC genres where consoles have the late ports, or considering it's better than not getting ports at all i.e Xbox games not being on PlayStation, the rumored PC ports of PlayStation games not being on Xbox etc.

Last edited:

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Cant wait to see what Playground games, Turn 10, 343i and Ninja theory can do with this hardware. Really exciting knowing all this before they start showing off the games.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
I honestly have no idea what any of this means, I have no interest in the technical side of things, don't even know what a teraflop is.

What makes me buy consoles are the exclusive games, and from what I've heard so far there don't seem to be any? I can play them on my Xbox 1?

So what exactly would convince someone like me to drop $500 on this? I know this is an enthusiasts forum so more people here understand the technical side, but I think the average consumer/gamer will be on my side of the fence.

the average consumer/gamer will probably buy the Series S (Lockhart)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The reason it's never been offered was it was much harder to port games to a new generation back then, now it's x86 to x86 so you could use the same code base instead of needing to redo a lot of the work, so the expenses for a patch are much lower than the remasters of this gen costs. The obvious example is pro and x patches, no game that I am aware of requires users to pay more to access the 4k version. So it's really something that is already established right now.
And as I said, Sony have a large cross buy offering, in the years that ps plus still had ps3 and vita games, many of them were crossbuy which meant these were also games PS4 owners could play. It's quite literally the same thing as the system suggested here.

This explanation doesn't hold water when people had to pay money to 'upgrade' their copy of FiFA 14 from PS3 to PS4, despite the existence of a native PS4 FIFA 14 game.

Well based on the rumors that have pretty much been confirmed to be legit, the PS5 is going to be almost identical spec wise. Some things slightly higher on XSX some slightly higher on PS5 but not much.

not a single one of those rumors have been 'confirmed to be legit'.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
MS will feel like they're making a lot of right moves but pricing will be very important. This gen is becoming a lot of fun, hard to tell how things will shake out.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dream console, love everything about it. Hopefully 2077 and Infinite are running optimal on this thing day 1.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Digital Foundry Direct mentioned that Playground Games is using Machine Learned Supersampling via Direct ML. I think it's safe to say Microsoft will push it for all their first party titles.

"4K"/Ray Traced/60fps Forza 8/Gears 6/Fable 4/Halo Infinite anyone?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Day one up to $599.

I don't expect $599, but this thing is going to run my 500+ game library out of the box. I see zero reason not to upgrade.

Now I have to decide if I'm giving my Xbox 1X to my daughters, or if I'm trading it in 🤔

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the Digital Foundry Direct mentioned that Playground Games is using Machine Learned Supersampling via Direct ML. I think it's safe to say Microsoft will push it for all their first party titles.

"4K"/Ray Traced/60fps Forza 8/Gears 6/Fable 4/Halo Infinite anyone?
I am really interested to see if their new BC focus will use ML in some form, as a way to push older games even further.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If 9.2 TF PS5 is true I wouldn't be shocked if PS5 has more RAM since XSX only has 16 GB. It'd be interesting to see how multiplats would differ with one having more RAM and one having a more powerful GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.