• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've been out of the xbox since the early 360 years.... so pardon me if this is a silly question.

For anyone with a very capable PC, is there any reason to get the new console, or are all future xbx games also being developed for pc? I remember hearing something about xbox play anywhere a little while back and thought thats what it meant.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the xbox since the early 360 years.... so pardon me if this is a silly question.

For anyone with a very capable PC, is there any reason to get the new console, or are all future xbx games also being developed for pc? I remember hearing something about xbox play anywhere a little while back and thought thats what it meant.
For now all Microsoft developed Xbox games are also planned for PC and gamepass day 1. So there is no reason if you have a good gaming PC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So reading up online discussions I am quite confused, isn't smart delivery quite literally cross buy? Something that Sony have been offering for years and works for many titles? Why are people acting like it's a groundbreaking innovation?
As it's never really been offered at launch , certainly not by the platform holder themselves.
The expectation is you'll get a port or definitive edition of a game which you will have to purchase, if you are lucky you'll get a discount , this is quite a change from that.

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Wow this sounds impressive and very next gen and top end indeed for a console. As a huge PlayStation consumer - never had the need to purchase outside of them due to how good they have been to me with gaming, this could be the first Xbox I will be buying irrespective of whether it is 499-549-599...IF the rumours of a 9tf ps5 are true. This could potentially be my next gen machine for all the big triple A games I'm into from third party development studios.

I hope Sonys reveal whenever it is - is of similar high end assets and great innovation as well. It can only be good for us as gamers!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
As it's never really been offered at launch , certainly not by the platform holder themselves.
The expectation is you'll get a port or definitive edition of a game which you will have to purchase, if you are lucky you'll get a discount , this is quite a change from that.
The reason it's never been offered was it was much harder to port games to a new generation back then, now it's x86 to x86 so you could use the same code base instead of needing to redo a lot of the work, so the expenses for a patch are much lower than the remasters of this gen costs. The obvious example is pro and x patches, no game that I am aware of requires users to pay more to access the 4k version. So it's really something that is already established right now.
And as I said, Sony have a large cross buy offering, in the years that ps plus still had ps3 and vita games, many of them were crossbuy which meant these were also games PS4 owners could play. It's quite literally the same thing as the system suggested here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So reading up online discussions I am quite confused, isn't smart delivery quite literally cross buy? Something that Sony have been offering for years and works for many titles? Why are people acting like it's a groundbreaking innovation?
I think the diff is that before the devs still would still have to make a x1 and xsx game disk. Now all they have to do is make 1 disk and that will work on both systems

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Not every game. Some games will only be able on Windows PC and some only on Xbox. But by and large you can play many on both platforms. Just depends on the title. Not all titles support play anywhere. Getting or playing on console over PC or vice versa is just a choice

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

There are probably still a lot of 3rd party games not coming to PC, or not coming day one to PC, but if that doesn't bother you then go build a VERY capable PC.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
The reason it's never been offered was it was much harder to port games to a new generation back then, now it's x86 to x86 so you could use the same code base instead of needing to redo a lot of the work, so the expenses for a patch are much lower than the remasters of this gen costs. The obvious example is pro and x patches, no game that I am aware of requires users to pay more to access the 4k version. So it's really something that is already established right now.
And as I said, Sony have a large cross buy offering, in the years that ps plus still had ps3 and vita games, many of them were crossbuy which meant these were also games PS4 owners could play. It's quite literally the same thing as the system suggested here.

The exciting bit is the public commitment to offering it for all first party games. The environment making it possible is irrelevant; that level of commitment is new and it's a good thing so people are excited for it.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California

I would say one major difference between Samrt Delivery and the old PSCross Buy is that we have never seen a major third party publisher like CDProjekt Red support Cross Buy with a highly anticipated title like Cyberpunk 2077 during the PS4's launch window (or whenever the PS4 version of such a game was available).

Correct me if I am wrong but most of the cross buy games were smaller indie titles. Not even most versions of MLBThe Show was cross buy.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
People in here praising Xbox for relaxing specs but they only released a single spec. No info here about Memory speed/amounts/bus, SSD read/write/capacity, CPU speed/cache it's just one number.

I mean yea it's a good number but it's hardly a complete picture and frankly I'm much more interested in everything else we still don't know than the theoretical peak flop performance of their GPU.

here's hoping we start getting more info on memory, CPU and SSD configuration sometime in the near future

It's better than nothing....

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I would say one major difference between Samrt Delivery and the old PSCross Buy is that we have never seen a major third party publisher like CDProjekt Red support Cross Buy with a highly anticipated title like Cyberpunk 2077 during the PS4's launch window (or whenever the PS4 version of such a game was available).

Correct me if I am wrong but most of the cross buy games were smaller indie titles. Not even most versions of MLBThe Show was cross buy.
True, and as I said that is down to 2 key things that changed this gen transition:
Pro consoles setting the trend of free patches and the fact that the transition is x86 to x86

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
All this power and all the game pass games I have stacked up for 3 years with a onetime console purchase. 😳

Total no brainer investment.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
Outstanding! Thank you for confirming, appreciate it :)

I'd offer the caveat that, depending on what level of PC you have, an XBSX might deliver better performance than what you have currently and might also deliver better price/performance than an equivalent PC upgrade. So, the real answer isn't so cut and dry. Console optimizations are real.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I skipped the Xbox One and PS4, but might jump in on this. Game Pass and the Xbox One library being compatible make it a pretty compelling purchase.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't need to. If the lower end spec machine is cheap enough to build and they sell more and increase their user base from where it is now, the premium machine serves as a fantastic marketing tool whilst appealing to those with deep enough pockets.
How many car manufacturers get into motorsport or build hardcore models to improve their brand image and sell more boxes at the low end?

The finer details of performance scrutiny on a budget machine won't matter much outside of forums like this. I'm tepid on Xbox, but I can see the strides they have taken and the potential brilliance in their strategy to build more business.
Yes, spec sheets will only matter to people on forums like this, but it's not just that mS wants the mass market to pay attention to specs, but rather that the masses just see the Series X as the next Xbox. They probably don't even know there is a cheaper version in the words, to them whatever has been announced is what they're going to invest in.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah it's pretty much the same thing I guess.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so close to switching to Xbox next gen but the one thing holding me back is their Japanese third party support not being that strong. Like, what if Kingdom Hearts 4 doesn't come out on Xbox :(

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watching the DF video and it suggests Smart Delivery is more along the lines of what assets each system needs, depending on the game. The example was Forza, where the Xbox would not need to download the full 4k assets etc that a One X would need. It's seems to be Smart in terms of not forcing all players on all compatible systems to download identical assets.

This makes more sense for MS since they are pushing the cross gen compact stuff much more than Sony is.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

We actually did have that during the early days of the PS4 and the One. From memory I think Assasin's Creed, Destiny, and Battlefield 4 at least gave you the next gen version if you bought the previous gen.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ms has to wait with the price announcement, do it after Sony. The internet will explode if they got more power and price it cheaper than PS5.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Battlefield 4 had an upgrade option. Free for pre-orders and digital versions. $10 otherwise.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Also regarding this narrative, other than Schreier, who only stated that both consoles would be 'close', which legitimate source leads you guys to push this narrative ?

Isn't it the other way around? The only legitimate source we have that the PS5 is less powerful is that supposed leak from December? That's when that narrative started.
I thought most gaming journalists so far have said they are pretty similar with the PS5 having the edge but not by much?

I've also seen someone from the industry pointing out on twitter that people are focusing way too much on Teraflops when it comes to the one that's going to be the "most powerful" and how there's a lot more to take in consideration. Anyone remember who i could be talking about? It's been like 2 months since then.

Whatever is happening, it seems like for the first time in a long time, everyone is doing great. MS even if they don't have the best selling console next gen it doesn't matter anyway, since their strategy is more about "play anywhere with whatever device you have". Even regarding next consoles, MS is about to start with its right foot. (i mean...even i am paying attention now and it never happened with MS before). Sony have learned from the past and aren't getting cocky. Nintendo is doing that with the Switch and are hugely successful. In the end we all win. Just less than 10 years ago people were predicting consoles to die and the industry has never been this healthy. We all win.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I say 499 with MS taking a loss on hardware. They'll make that money back with Gold and Game Pass.
Good to know the 12 TF rumor was true, now we just need to know if PS5 is really 9.2 or if it will be closer to XSX.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

None of those consoles were x86, so that's a moot point really.
I think people are suprised as you still had to buy your games twice as we entered this generation, even when there was no backward compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.