• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Yeah, I just reread the press release and that "open and transparent" bit seemed strategically worded and intentional.

My only question is are they blindly trolling because they know fans are frustrated by the lack of information from Sony or do they genuinely know something is amiss at Sony and are capitalizing on it.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Interesting that they say up to 120hz without mentioning resolution. And the HDMI 2.1 section only lists features that have nothing to do with bandwidth.

They've said 4K 120hz in the past an 8K.
I'm assuming that they've changed the wording to stop people getting hung up on the fact 4K 120hz is very unlikely

Yup, i think most developers will go for native4k30 but take physics and graphics to the max with some. You cant really sell extra frames, but prettier environments and more destruction and better AI can.

Still hope that there will be many exceptions and that we'll see 4k60 games as well.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they are going with a feature I wanted most, forward compatibility. I really really hope Sony goes that route too. It would make the cross gen games that would be out in day September better. It's be cool to get them and have the ability to play. Obviously you could wait too but it definitely makes adopting the console early more enticing. Especially if games that are out earlier in the year work that way. Even if it's just frame rate boosts and stuff

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
My only question is are they blindly trolling because they know fans are frustrated by the lack of information from Sony or do they genuinely know something is amiss at Sony and are capitalizing on it.

It sounded to me like they knew fans wanted more information and are taking advantage of Sony's silence.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ. Microsoft is not going to throw cash at a problem like they did with the original Xbox and try to outspend Sony. We already saw that strategy fail. Nobody is saying Sony has more money than MS as whole and to imply I did is creating strawmen from nothing. If you honestly think MS gave Spencer a blank check and said, "Defeat Sony, no matter the cost!" then you are a fool quite honestly.
Are you gonna be okay?

Jun 22, 2018
Xbox has been doing so much the last couple of years to put themselves in a great spot to launch this console.

The more we learn about it, the more excited I get to dive in day 1.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Xbox has been making the right moves since the leadership change. I probably won't get a XSX for a while, but I'm happy they're so open about making their games available on multiple devices.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn MS seriously bringing the heat this gen. IF the PS5 is indeed only at 9.2flops as was rumored, they are going to have a tough time to get positive media attention imo.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Honestly think the reason Sony are so quiet is because they know it will be hard to compete with the power message which Microsoft have delivered so far.

When the PS3 and PS4 were unveiled they pushed heavily on the power aspect but now they're going to have to win out with software - just as they did in the PS2 days. Even then though, they really pushed out how the PS2 was the most powerful console ever etc in the run up to release.

I've always bought the Nintendo console and the Sony console on offer but Microsoft are making me think about going Switch/Series X. XCloud/GamePass on Switch would seal the deal.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any chance that Sony could/would revise the system to match or exceed this level of power, should the rumors of a weaker system be true? I know they were openly saying they were waiting on competitors for pricing, but are we too far along to change specs at this point? I genuinely have no idea how it all works.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Really loving what I'm seeing from the Series X. Seems beefy, backwards compatible, forwards compatible, controller compatibility, the ability to stream through XCloud to your phone/tablet, Game Pass meaning day 1 there's a shit ton of games to play, etc.

I think the only feature I'm waiting on is "your current apps from Xbox One will all work day 1 for Series X." So much of my console is used for things like Netflix, DAZN (NFL viewing), NHL app, screen mirroring, etc. that it'd suck to have to wait months for devs to get new versions out.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh God the Warchest shit is back again. Didn't we get over this last time when MS wouldn't take a loss on the Xbox One to compete with the PS4. They didn't get price comparable until they dropped the BOM. Generally shareholders don't like companies to lose massive amounts of cash even for good reasons.

are you in finance? that's not true at all - shareholders invest in companies that lose cash "for good reasons" every day

it's negligible within the boundaries that people speak of, when you consider that what, 9 games are sold per console, how much of the profit from that are they going to be willing to give-over just To sell another 9 games?

i think they are looking for 9 years of sweet, sweet recurring sub revenue now

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that Sony could/would revise the system to match or exceed this level of power, should the rumors of a weaker system be true? I know they were openly saying they were waiting on competitors for pricing, but are we too far along to change specs at this point? I genuinely have no idea how it all works.
Hardware has been set in stone for a long time.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Goddamn MS seriously bringing the heat this gen. IF the PS5 is indeed only at 9.2flops as was rumored, they are going to have a tough time to get positive media attention imo.
Expect Sony PR to be proprietary proprietary proprietary proprietary proprietary oh and more proprietary tech. Basically it let's them talk up buzz words on stuff that may or may not be able to be measured or directly compared with XSX.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I say $599 and they can get away with it because they'll have a more affordable option for those who don't want all the high-end stuff like 120fps support.

Also, keep in mind that, though the PS5 may be weaker overall than the Series X, it will have the advantage of having games developed exclusively for it. Sony's first-party stuff could look better just by not having to worry about running on older hardware.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This shouldn't come as a surprise to Sony.
They must have expected MS to go all out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Microsoft is not going to throw cash at a problem like they did with the original Xbox and try to outspend Sony. We already saw that strategy fail. Nobody is saying Sony has more money than MS as whole and to imply I did is creating strawmen from nothing. If you honestly think MS gave Spencer a blank check and said, "Defeat Sony, no matter the cost!" then you are a fool quite honestly.

I think they are willing to throw some money at it - but they'll be throwing it at Game Pass. Seems to me that's their play. High end console with some margins for the hardcore, low end for volume, PC for the rest. As long as everyone subs to game pass they won't care which platform you buy

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, i think most developers will go for native4k30 but take physics and graphics to the max with some. You cant really sell extra frames, but prettier environments and more destruction and better AI can.

Still hope that there will be many exceptions and that we'll see 4k60 games as well.

The best selling games of this gen aren't the best lookers. Was true last gen and true of the ps2 generation as well.

Some of the best lookers on ps4 come from studios gone or who didn't earn all that much both driveclub and the order suffered similar fates.

Graphics help some sales but since the ps2 gen if a game doesn't have a good hook behind it consumers don't give a fuck if it looks good. They also aren't the best sellers.

You can sell extra frames but only when your consumers care say something like fighters or cod.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I've always bought the Nintendo console and the Sony console on offer but Microsoft are making me think about going Switch/Series X. XCloud/GamePass on Switch would seal the deal.

I honestly had no interest in a Series X but given the insane specs and feature set of this machine...I'm extremely tempted. It's going to come down to how revolutionary Halo Infinite ends up being. If it's the grand return to form for Halo that we all expect, I may be there day one.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
are you in finance? that's not true at all - shareholders invest in companies that lose cash "for good reasons" every day
Yes some companies do depending on their product portfolio. However how much money would MS shareholders want to lose on a product that is a minuscule amount of their overall revenue?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

i think they are looking for 9 years of sweet, sweet recurring sub revenue now

They had that for 15 years already AND those subs are currently subsidised.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ.

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
No one is saying they're giving Phil 'a blank check'..but their liquid assets are so insanely huge that it's not at all crazy to think they'd take a significant loss on XSX hardware at launch to quickly build a next gen install base..especially when now more than ever those losses can be promptly mitigated with digital sales, gamepass etc.

Services, services, services. Recurring revenue is the new oil. They can afford a massive initial loss with the push towards services over the last 3 years. XBL Gold + Gamepass + Xcloud = massive revenue opportunities over the course of the lifetime of the console.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Sounds like the powerhouse it was rumored to be and Xbox after certainly making smart, consumer-friendly moves for their personal business.

Unfortunately, some of those moves are tempered but the fact it only applies to MS themselves. Smart Delivery is great, unfortunately it's optional for third parties, and who here doesn't expect EA, Activision, and Bethesda to sell you a current gen version as well as a next gen one? They gotta pad those numbers.

Bethesda gave Skyrim's Special Edition for free to PC gamers that owned Oldrim, and XSX is little different from a PC now.
I think there seems to be a lot of questions about the jaguar holding back the next gen games, that's why I ask.
I mean, people managed to put The Witcher 3 on Switch. I don't know why anyone would think it's impossible for Microsoft to make next gen games just because they'll create jaguar version of the games too.

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Microsoft being competitive. This will only make Sony be more competitive for the PS5.
As a future PS5 owner, this is a good thing.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
kkD0dxu.jpg

more leaks and scoops

What is this supposed to be?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
After PS3 I just don't know how anyone could do that, though.
Considering X1 being outsold this gen by PS4 2:1 (or there-about), I just don't see that as a realistic plan.
But who knows?
I agree. I think even with the 2:1 overall Ps4 has even bigger edge on Xbone but anyway, no console will ever cost $599 again

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Expect Sony PR to be proprietary proprietary proprietary proprietary proprietary oh and more proprietary tech. Basically it let's them talk up buzz words on stuff that may or may not be able to be measured or directly compared with XSX.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Probably gonna tout their ssd solution and stuff like that. Still I'd be willing to bet the 12TF number will continue to dominate the news cycles even if sony doesn't reveal anything beforehand. Only question is would they wait till shortly before launch to drop the bomb and have the negative news of being 30% slower then or get it out of the way early and try to mitigate the damage with their exclusives.

Of course purely hypothetical since we have no idea if the rumors of 9.2 are actually true and PS5 might still be even faster than xsx, inb4 people start throwing stones at me - eventhough I think their current silence points to them actually being slower...

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
The best selling games of this gen aren't the best lookers. Was true last gen and true of the ps2 generation as well.

Some of the best lookers on ps4 come from studios gone or who didn't earn all that much both driveclub and the order suffered similar fates.

Graphics help some sales but since the ps2 gen if a game doesn't have a good hook behind it consumers don't give a fuck if it looks good. They also aren't the best sellers.

You can sell extra frames but only when your consumers care say something like fighters or cod.
Sure you can sell extra frames, but better looking graphics, more advanced AI, destructible environment where the framerate doesnt tank to sub20fps.

Dont forget that most tv's on the market, and coming to market are still having a HDMI 2.0 port so the max is 1440p @120 if the screen is even capable of 120hz. Im sorry but i just dont see developers massively catering to a minority, i think for most people 60fps is enough.

Ps4pro and xb1x where also capable of 4k60 output(hdmi2.0 port), but almost no game actually outputted at native 4k60

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly had no interest in a Series X but given the insane specs and feature set of this machine...I'm extremely tempted. It's going to come down to how revolutionary Halo Infinite ends up being. If it's the grand return to form for Halo that we all expect, I may be there day one.

Even if it's expensive - if it's a lot above ps5 it's worth it just as a gamepass machine. You'd get great value never buying a single game for it

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Bethesda gave Skyrim's Special Edition for free to PC gamers, and XSX is little different from a PC now.

XsX or X1X are moderately differently from contemporary pcs of similar specs. pcs don't enjoy a debloated windows kernel optimized for gaming and that has offloading features. Credit should be given where credit is due.

MS actually is doing a lot for mid range gamers who want that performance range without the hassle of of a pc. You get more bang for your buck as well as result of them negotiating prices someone like me can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.