• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Anyone here that has the ps4 now, if the ps4 is marginally worse in terms of specs, but offers full compatibility for ps5, would it persuade you to jump to xbox netx gen?

This is all great os series X, specially the multiple resume and all, but I keep coming back to what does it matter to me if I lose out on horizon 2, the next god of war, spider man, etc?

I guess I would like a gauge on really how much does power effect buying decisions vs exclusive games

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
You do realize that Sony just made the most amount of money ever in the history of their company not too long ago right? This MS warchest that you all keep bringing up is not real and Sony is in just as capable of a spot to loss lead as MS is.
MS as a company is so much bigger than Sony that you'd have to be absolutely insane to try and deny that? Like MS is worth roughly 30 times as much as Sony as far as corporations go. If you're saying "MS will not lose a bunch of money on their xbox division" then sure they look to earn and not lose, but they've obviously made a massive investment in it over the last few years and are absolutely in it for the long haul and have far deeper pockets as far as a corporation goes.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here that has the ps4 now, if the ps4 is marginally worse in terms of specs, but offers full compatibility for ps5, would it persuade you to jump to xbox netx gen?

This is all great os series X, specially the multiple resume and all, but I keep coming back to what does it matter to me if I lose out on horizon 2, the next god of war, spider man, etc?

I guess I would like a gauge on really how much does power effect buying decisions vs exclusive games
I prefer Sony's first party and exclusive over more power. The same reason I never got a Xbox One X even if it is more powerful than my PS4 Pro.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
You do realize that Sony just made the most amount of money ever in the history of their company not too long ago right? This MS warchest that you all keep bringing up is not real and Sony is in just as capable of a spot to loss lead as MS is.

MS currently has 134 billion ON HAND LIQUID CASH to do whatever they want to with and collectively they are worth over a trillion. Wanna guess what sony is worth as an entire company not what liquidity they have but there total worth?

MS Warchest

Sony net worth of their company is 55 billion.

For perspective, Microsofts on hand spending money (liquid) is about two and half times the worth of sony Corp as a whole.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, some of those moves are tempered but the fact it only applies to MS themselves. Smart Delivery is great, unfortunately it's optional for third parties, and who here doesn't expect EA, Activision, and Bethesda to sell you a current gen version as well as a next gen one? They gotta pad those numbers.

And that is why I am looking at the community to put pressure of 3rd parties to take advantage of Smart Delivery.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
MS as a company is so much bigger than Sony that you'd have to be absolutely insane to try and deny that? Like MS is worth roughly 30 times as much as Sony as far as corporations go. If you're saying "MS will not lose a bunch of money on their xbox division" then sure they look to earn and not lose, but they've obviously made a massive investment in it over the last few years and are absolutely in it for the long haul and have far deeper pockets as far as a corporation goes.

Well, I think after the early 360 losses (which were in the range of 1 billion in the first couple of fiscal years due to RROD), I think MS made it a priority to not lose as much on the gaming division going forward.

Big pockets, but they aren't going to throw money down a well. Expect the console to be competitively priced, but not to suffer more than a $50 loss out of the box at launch. They have two cheaper options for people who want to play Halo and all other Xbox releases at better fidelity than the baseline Xbox One, the One X and the Lionheart.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
On PS4 you could use your existing disc couldn't you?
Yeah, you got a digital copy on PlayStation, the disc exchange was on Xbox. My memory was a little foggy after seven years. It was still $10 across the board, but you had to put the PS3 disc in the PS4 to verify you owned the game before "unlocking" the $10 deal.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

The entire Microsoft apparatus does not exist to serve Xbox and its fans and throw as much money as they want at it. Xbox is just another division of MS with the same goals as the other divisions: to make money. They're not going to throw money at something just because they can. That's not how the business works.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's going to be playing cross gen games. There won't be Series X only games, so yes - it's going to be held back by Xbox One.

How can it not be? Let's be real.

They're going super consumer friendly, but it's a double edged sword.

Because Forza Horizon 2 XBOne version wasn't held back by 360 version. They had multiple teams

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
MS currently has 134 billion ON HAND LIQUID CASH to do whatever they want to with and collectively they are worth over a trillion. Wanna guess what sony is worth as an entire company not what liquidity they have but there total worth?

MS Warchest
Oh God the Warchest shit is back again. Didn't we get over this last time when MS wouldn't take a loss on the Xbox One to compete with the PS4. They didn't get price comparable until they dropped the BOM. Generally shareholders don't like companies to lose massive amounts of cash even for good reasons.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So work is being put into those next gen versions of MS games, rather than just simple upgrades to the current gen versions?
i expect they will do what they did for fh2 the 360 version was made by a diff studio and had obv drawbacks when compared to the x1 version

Jun 23, 2019

MS Warchest

Jesus Christ. Microsoft is not going to throw cash at a problem like they did with the original Xbox and try to outspend Sony. We already saw that strategy fail. Nobody is saying Sony has more money than MS as whole and to imply I did is creating strawmen from nothing. If you honestly think MS gave Spencer a blank check and said, "Defeat Sony, no matter the cost!" then you are a fool quite honestly.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Oh God the Warchest shit is back again. Didn't we get over this last time when MS wouldn't take a loss on the Xbox One to compete with the PS4. They didn't get price comparable until they dropped the BOM. Generally shareholders don't like companies to lose massive amounts of cash even for good reasons.
The question is who could more financially support a loss on selling hardware and I think I made my point. For the record I dont think either would sell at a loss.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Jesus Christ. Microsoft is not going to throw cash at a problem like they did with the original Xbox and try to outspend Sony. We already saw that strategy fail. Nobody is saying Sony has more money than MS as whole and to imply I did is creating strawmen from nothing. If you honestly think MS gave Spencer a blank check and said, "Defeat Sony, no matter the cost!" then you are a fool quite honestly.
You said MS didnt have a Warchest and I gave you 134 billion reasons saying otherwise. I'm not saying they would ever use it just correcting your statement is all.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Wow is someone actually suggesting sony have as much money as microsoft??
Havent people figured out that as soon as the original xbox console launched, microsoft won and ended console wars?? Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

If it's quite a bit lower I will probably move to Series X as my primary platform. I have an X1X and still use my Pro over it because I am so into the PS ecosystem but if it's 9ish flops compared to this then I am switching. The only thing that would stop me from doing that is if it adds full BC to PS1-3, I would probably still go with the PS5 even if that much weaker in that case. I have a feeling they will be too close to matter though which if that is the case PS5 will be primary no matter what, Gamepass wouldn't even be enough to change me over at that point.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The question is who could more financially support a loss on selling hardware and I think I made my point.

it's negligible within the boundaries that people speak of, when you consider that what, 9 games are sold per console, how much of the profit from that are they going to be willing to give-over just To sell another 9 games?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be playing cross gen games. There won't be Series X only games, so yes - it's going to be held back by Xbox One.

How can it not be? Let's be real.

They're going super consumer friendly, but it's a double edged sword.

The description of Smart Delivery here has had me scratching my head this morning, but I think your comment has actually helped me understand it. The whole "Smart Delivery" thing seemed weird to me initially. Wouldn't it just be the same files for any platform, with maybe some titles getting a Series X patch? It seemed like entirely too fancy a way to talk about what is essentially backwards compatibilty. But I think it's going to be more than that. My guess is that the games won't actually be exactly the same. In a way, there will be Xbox Series X exclusive versions of games. For example, the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite could be subtly different in order to work on those platforms while the Series X version will take full advantage. The consumer will only ever see one "version" of Halo Infinite, but the developers, and Microsoft's backend, will treat them as different products. As a hypothetical, maybe the Xbox One version will have additional areas or walls or doors to hide loading that the Series X version won't have because it can load so much faster. This kind of versioning will require more work from the developer so I'd assume that it will mostly be utilized by first party studios while third parties will settle for boosting the resolution, framerate, and effects. But the option will be there for studios to free their games from the limitations of the Xbox One platform. And the end user will only ever see "Halo Infinite" on any of the platforms.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Great to know that Crossbuy is what Xbox is rolling with at least. Curious how this pertains to physical media though. Assuming you can just pop an xbox one disc into a Series X and get the Series X version of the game if available. Please follow suit Sony.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

I am all about VR, Sony offer VR, MS don't at the minute. So the PS5/PSVR2 will be my goto this gen irregardless of the less floppy bits it may have.

I have always thought MS were best when they went all out with power, They screwed up with the X1, But man what a way to start the next generation with the SEX.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Its not confirmed that Lockhart exists and assuming it does we don't even know if it's launching this year..many rumors point to 2021 or later.
I don't know if Lockhart will launch this year. I hope it will. If it won't, yeah, they won't communicate about it this year. But it doesn't change that it will be the console for the mass market. Xbox Series X is for hardcore gamers, Xbox Series S/Lockhart for casuals.

Putting all that aside, MS entire next gen marketing scheme is based on Series X and Phil has repeatedly stated he wants SERIES X specifically to directly compete in performance and price and 'be in first again' versus PS5.

That certainly sounds like MS pushing for XSX to be competitive in both price and power (one of those is now obviously confirmed) and be the 'main' console with a potential 'Series S' being the cheaper secondary option for the casual audience who doesn't care about new tech and often jumps into new hardware later in the life cycle...again all this is assuming it exists.
As you say, they want to compete in "performance and price." Spencer said that he don't want to have a console less powerfull but more expensive. I think Xbox Series X will be slightly more powerfull and, then, slighty more expensive.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
it's negligible within the boundaries that people speak of, when you consider that what, 9 games are sold per console, how much of the profit from that are they going to be willing to give-over just To sell another 9 games?
Oh I dont disagree but I was pointing out the ludicracy of saying MS doesnt have an insane warchest.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
kkD0dxu.jpg

more leaks and scoops

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Very interesting that Microsoft have yet again revealed more info. Apart from RAM and clocks everything is now revealed. Balls in Sony's court now after their CFO I think said they're waiting for the competition!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying they're giving Phil 'a blank check'..but their liquid assets are so insanely huge that it's not at all crazy to think they'd take a significant loss on XSX hardware at launch to quickly build a next gen install base..especially when now more than ever those losses can be promptly mitigated with digital sales, gamepass etc.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think Microsoft gave Spencer a blank check, but it's pretty clear they gave him a lot of money to work with. Microsoft has built a AAA studio, acquired 7 studios, and significantly expanded all of those studios - including Playground Games whom they basically doubled in size by giving them another AAA team. They have Gamepass where they're including all first party games at launch with the subscription, have struct up amazing partnerships to include fairly prominent 3rd party games, and have basically given away subscriptions to the service through SIGNIFICANT subsidies.

It's pretty disingenuous to suggest anything other than Microsoft is being pretty loose with its purse strings when it comes to Xbox. They're quite literally throwing money at the situation. Strategically, yes, but throwing money at a situation none the less.

Jun 17, 2018
I'm not hardwa savy,so my question is games like red dead redemption 2 if the developer wanted to they can add ray tracing and better graphic enhancements,or like fallout 4 which still is choppy on xbox one x will run smoother now?

Yeah absolutely, if the developer wanted to. However, RDR2 has no chance of being updated since Rockstar didn't push out an X or Pro update for GTAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.