• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So, if this is only $499 I am getting it for sure, even if all games come to PC, that much power for that price is a no-brainer. Hyped!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you can't really 1:1 compare AMD and NV TFlops?
I'm not comparing Tflops, I'm projecting performance based on what we know about RDNA PC parts (5700/XT).

And technically, 2080 is a ~10-11 Tflops GPU (Super one is 10.5-11.5; the number depends on cooling mostly) which kinda fits with Turing+10% for Tflops comparisons.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GPU sounds too powerful for $499. Also, 120 Fps and VRR will be pointless when most AAA games will target 30 Fps to utilize ray tracing and other fancy effects at 4k.. Will be nice for indie games that go for 120 fps at least.

It all depends on what type of loss MS is willing to take in regards to getting these into consumer hands.

Also, it's way, way too early to be making assumptions about developers and their intent. This is – by all counts – very powerful hardware and they are giving developers some serious options in regards to how to utilize that power.

For example, you mention 120 fps but I think many of us would be tickled pink at 60fps at native 4K with a smattering of next generational bells and whistles.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Well, I am sold on the console. This is a magnificent and beautiful piece of hardware. Now, sell me on the games, and I will buy it MS! I have high hopes for E3. Let's see what all these new teams can do :)

Edit: this will totally be $599, get a grip, people!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the powerhouse it was rumored to be and Xbox after certainly making smart, consumer-friendly moves for their personal business.

Unfortunately, some of those moves are tempered but the fact it only applies to MS themselves. Smart Delivery is great, unfortunately it's optional for third parties, and who here doesn't expect EA, Activision, and Bethesda to sell you a current gen version as well as a next gen one? They gotta pad those numbers.
What's deemed unacceptable changes very quickly in this industry though. Nowadays major games that don't include cross progression / cross play are scoffed at. Cross play wasn't even thought of as a faint possibility just a few years ago. And with CD Project making announcements / tweets like this:

Means that publishers that don't support this type of functionality will face a ton of backlash and lose sales and goodwill.
And day and date first party titles on Game Pass is nice, but MS's track record for first party this last gen had been dogshit. That being a selling point of the console is largely dependant on you personally having faith in MS to deliver good first party titles, hell, I can't think of a single one that's been announced off the top of my head other than Halo.
Microsoft has made virtually every realistically conceivable stride towards a better future in first party games that they could've over these past couple years. They clearly understand it's been their weak point and they've taken major actions towards correcting it.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I think this announcement is what put me over to get the console Day 1. Just have one question, and maybe someone can help me out.

I have an Xbox One X. I get an Xbox Series X. I now have two consoles, one Xbox Live account.

I buy Halo Infinite. With Smart Delivery, I get the game on my Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X.

This means I can play the game on both consoles, right? Follow-up question: save data syncs with your account, so if I play 3 hours of Halo Infinite on the Xbox Series X, can I then jump to my X1X and continue where I left off?

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I think this announcement is what put me over to get the console Day 1. Just have one question, and maybe someone can help me out.

I have an Xbox One X. I get an Xbox Series X. I now have two consoles, one Xbox Live account.

I buy Halo Infinite. With Smart Delivery, I get the game on my Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X.

This means I can play the game on both consoles, right? Follow-up question: save data syncs with your account, so if I play 3 hours of Halo Infinite on the Xbox Series X, can I then jump to my X1X and continue where I left off?

Yes you can do that, you just cannot be logged into both consoles at the same time.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
So work is being put into those next gen versions of MS games, rather than just simple upgrades to the current gen versions?
I'm not an insider or the person you quoted but I always thought this was to be expected when they announced it. The games are going to be playable but the games on the Series X will certainly look next gen.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'd wager that there will be 120 fps modes for Overwatch 2, Fortnite, R6 Siege, Next COD, Apex, Rocket League, Forza & GT.
True, existing GaaS titles will greatly benefit from 120 Hz mode. But I wonder if Forza will go all in on ray tracing, that would then either be 1080p 60 Hz or 4k 30 Hz at best. Not sure what route CoD will go, as the 2019 PC version utilized RT effectively. I guess they could just disable all RT effects in 120 Hz mode if they really wanted to offer that.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019

That's how it works right now if you have 2 Xs in your house so I don't see why it wouldn't be true with an X and a SX.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Smart Delivery sounds like a value loss to me, or a value delay.
Next-gen game design restricted by last-gen hardware through temporary (Matt Booty has mentioned loose plans of ~two years) cross-platform development.

They say Halo Infinite is built to be a showcase, but how far can they go with the game's design when the thing needs to run on a base Xbox One CPU?

Can they make billions of space aliens with working digestive systems who are brain geniuses as they terraform the planet, and you're the size of Galactus (with a working digestive system) who can throw other planets at the planet and all the planets are full-sized and inhabited and simulated with wind carrying individual grains of sand from the deserts and you can teleport into the Silver Surfer who can blast down super fast to a thrown planet as it crashes into another planet and there's Robocop and you can have Turing convos with him and Tyrannosaurs with lasers who can enter all the buildings in the universe and destroy them and they explode into tiny particles which affects the physics simulation and slows the Silver Surfer down slightly?

If they can't make that, then what's the point in even getting a next-gen console?

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft aims at power and graphics in this generation. They want to output the game the best they can: FPS, VRR. Do you really think MS will downplay their beast? Do you really think they will build a monster and not invest in giving the best graphics they can?

It's going to be playing cross gen games. There won't be Series X only games, so yes - it's going to be held back by Xbox One.

How can it not be? Let's be real.

They're going super consumer friendly, but it's a double edged sword.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
The price is what will win it for MS at the start of the next gen not which system is more powerful!. If MS can come in a good amount cheaper than the PS5 then that will get them the more sales not it being slightly more powerful than the PS5

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an insider or the person you quoted but I always thought this was to be expected when they announced it. The games are going to be playable but the games on the Series X will certainly look next gen.

I think there seems to be a lot of questions about the jaguar holding back the next gen games, that's why I ask.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Yes to both questions :-)

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I like what I'm seeing.

Sony need to start talking cause MS is getting all the attention. I might actually go Xbox then generation.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
No way this is less than 600 USD. Also likely means the PS5 will be weaker and cheaper and will offer a comparable Pro model 2-3 years down the line to keep up with the XSX specs when it'll matter more.

All speculative anyway, but yeah next generation will have a higher entrance fee most likely.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be playing cross gen games. There won't be Series X only games, so yes - it's going to be held back by Xbox One.

How can it not be? Let's be real.

They're going super consumer friendly, but it's a double edged sword.
There will be Series X versions of games. That means (to me) versions of the same game like we saw with Shadow of Mordor. You'll get the absolute floor of the game while the version of the same title for XSX will have an advanced feature set that takes advantage of the hardware.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
As someone who doesn't know shit about specs, how powerful is this?
Pretty damn powerful. This thing will be more powerful than my PCs £750 GPU. It's somewhere between an RTX 2080 + RTX 2080 Ti.

A 2080 Ti is currently the most powerful gaming GPU you can buy today.

I will need to be upgrading my PC.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I think Sony will top it, and the reason is simple; PS5 won't be held back by PS4.

Microsoft can't fragment their Game Pass subscription base, so everything they put out has to run on an Xbox One. So regardless of how powerful the Series X is, it's not going to show it's true potential because Xbox games have to be developed with the old hardware in mind.

So my thinking is we're basically going to see 4K 60fps Xbox One games at high settings on Series X. Meanwhile PS5's first party games will look like next gen games because they're designed exclusively for PS5.

They're both using different strategies, so we'll see which matters more to players. At least this is my early take.
I think you have it backwards if what was shown in the Github leak is even remotely close to true.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
GPU sounds too powerful for $499. Also, 120 Fps and VRR will be pointless when most AAA games will target 30 Fps to utilize ray tracing and other fancy effects at 4k.. Will be nice for indie games that go for 120 fps at least.

It looks good on a stat sheet but yes with these specs nobody should expect anywhere near 120fps with ray tracing, especially cause most devs will still chase the 4k cause people get so caught up with that number. Hope for a stable 30fps with ray tracing and be surprised if its better in real time.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
My brain is thinking $599 but with Microsoft's current strategy of getting people into the ecosystem at all costs, I really do think this is going to be $499.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Based on the rumour that what is said to in the PS5 is said to cost ~$450 US, what do people with some understanding of component pricing believe that would translate to cost wise for this?

I'm not interested in what people think it will retail for, just in a cost comparison estimate.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, very clear digs at Sony:

"At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I'm proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3."

Yeah, I just reread the press release and that "open and transparent" bit seemed strategically worded and intentional.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the rumour that what is said to in the PS5 is said to cost ~$450 US, what do people with some understanding of component pricing believe that would translate to cost wise for this?

I'm not interested in what people think it will retail for, just in a cost comparison estimate.
my guess 550, but I think ms will sell it for 499.

Ridill

Oct 27, 2017
California
This gen I was a PS4 and Switch kind of guy. I might have to go back to Xbox and PS4 (one for exclusives one for multiplats.) We will see what sony shows!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There will be Series X versions of games. That means (to me) versions of the same game like we saw with Shadow of Mordor. You'll get the absolute floor of the game while the version of the same title for XSX will have an advanced feature set that takes advantage of the hardware.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Hypothetically they're going to make one Forza Horizon 5. There won't be two versions for sale. There will be one, and the performance and bells and whistles will depend on which hardware you play it on.

But the fact that it still has to run on an Xbox One means it's cross gen. That's what a cross gen game is. The fact that it has to run on Xbox One means Series X is being held back by the old hardware. You're not going to have an entirely new set of assets just because you're on Series X.

It'll be like it is for PC players playing Xbox games on Game Pass. Xbox One capable games with far higher settings and far better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.