• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
The only thing I am very surprised they haven't spoken on is KB/M compatibility. At this point, I would think they would make it a standard feature for at least any MS produced game - this thing is basically a PC - and a very powerful one at that , so why not lean into it and finally let us have the option to play looter/shooters, diablo-types et al the proper way?
Xbox One already supports KB+M natively, its up to developers to support it within their games. I'd be surprised if Xbox Series X didn't continue that support.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt we'll find out anything regarding clock speeds until launch day.

And the lack of information about the amount of RAM is concerning. I'm really hoping for 20 GB of GDDR6, but fear we'll get 16 or even 12.
Isn't the XBX already at 12GB? I'm sure we are getting more than that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think Sony will top it, and the reason is simple; PS5 won't be held back by PS4.

Microsoft can't fragment their Game Pass subscription base, so everything they put out has to run on an Xbox One. So regardless of how powerful the Series X is, it's not going to show it's true potential because Xbox games have to be developed with the old hardware in mind.

So my thinking is we're basically going to see 4K 60fps Xbox One games at high settings on Series X. Meanwhile PS5's first party games will look like next gen games because they're designed exclusively for PS5.

They're both using different strategies, so we'll see which matters more to players. At least this is my early take.
Nah.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Just read this. Haha, MS dropping this nonchalant out of no where!

Where to begin...so much to digest here.
Stunned it's going to be delivering 2080 Super
levels of power in this form factor with RDNA 2 efficiency. Fuck me. If my math is right that's equivalent to about 15 TF compared to last gen tech?

Smart Delivery sounds fantastic, Xbox doing right by leading the way here, hope 3rd parties follow suit, fuck paying for next gen updates.

*Breathes*

Nah it would have been 15 teraflops gcn if it was RDNA. - RDNA 2 means it's probably higher.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Basically a high end PC for the masses. Niiice! I just hope the drivers don't ruin everything as it is currently doing with the 5000 series GPUs.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So the difference between FP32 and GP64 is pretty small overall or is it a significant difference?

In terms of gaming performance, FP64 isn't really relevant.

Overall, what I'm getting from this thread, is that Xbox SX is a beefy machine which matches up with what devs and insiders have said about next gen. So comparatively speaking, Xbox SX is like a mid to high end PC in 2020, correct?

Right. The question is just where exactly it lands. We'll be able to use some napkin maths to get a pretty good idea of that when AMD finally releases its first RDNA2-based desktop GPU(s).

Edit: As Marmelade says below, the RDNA1-based 5700 XT makes for decent point of comparison. Theoretically, the XSX GPU should land somewhere between the 2080 and 2080 Ti. To reiterate, though, it's hard to be sure without an actual RDNA2-based GPU on the market.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Do it, SONYY!
createcard.png
That's pretty good lol

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
True, but I'd love it if they gave me first party reasons to buy it too. As is, I have no plans to play Halo Infinite on anything but my One S this holiday. Hopefully the next Fable and Forza Horizon end up being XSX only
I started playing Gears 5 on my OG Xbox One and finished it on an Xbox One X. It was a huge difference. The jump to Xbox Series X is gonna be even more impressive. I really wouldn't want to experience Halo Infinite on my old Xbox One, but it's awesome that people who aren't willing/can't afford to upgrade can still enjoy the game.

So stoked for next-gen!

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
As a PC gamer I would love for the quick resume feature to also become available on Windows. I really love that I can put my PS4 to rest mode, fire it up and pick up where I left off without waiting through the aggravating corporate logos and all that crap.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Basically a high end PC for the masses. Niiice! I just hope the drivers don't ruin everything as it is currently doing with the 5000 series GPUs.
They surely have their own driver written for this thing and its several times less complex than universal thing that AMD has to provide for desktop.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm actually thinking this launch could be cheaper (total dollars) in comparison with previous generations for me.

If you can carry forward your accessories, no need to get extra controller or other random shit. I usually get two games at launch, and If Game Pass includes MS first party, then no need to buy Halo or Forza on Day 1... saves $120.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, for those wondering about "random monday info drop" - today was supposed to be the first day of Mobile World Congress 2020 - which was cancelled due to coronavirus.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the back compat team announce last year that they had stopped doing X1 back compat in favour of concentrating on Scarlet?
This is what they said:

We've listened closely to community feedback and respect the game libraries you've built throughout the last 18 years. That's why we're taking our work a step further and announced this week that thousands of games from all four generations will be playable on Project Scarlett. As such, we have now shifted our focus to help make the games you love playing on Xbox One compatible with future Xbox hardware. After this week, we have no plans to add additional Original Xbox or Xbox 360 titles to the catalog on Xbox One, but we're excited to continue our work on Xbox compatibility across platforms and devices, which remains a top priority.

Today, we're thrilled to bring you a final collection of Original Xbox classics, Xbox 360 fan-favorites and Xbox One X Enhanced updates as a token of appreciation to our fans for their support.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Stats look good, I'll most likely pick one up day one. Open up the pre-orders and let this happen.

"Smart delivery" just sounds like a fancy "pro patch", guys. You're going to get a resolution bump, better textures, draw distances, etc. It's going to look much better but It's not going to be a full remaster for the Xbox Series X. Manage your expectations.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hard to say since AMD has yet to release an RDNA2 GPU, so there's little with which to compare and extrapolate. On paper, the XSX's GPU is roughly 15% slower than the Radeon VII, which generally performs similarly to the 2080 (they otherwise trade blows here and here), but there are no doubt architectural improvements that, at this juncture, are impossible to account for.

A 5700 XT (a ~9TF GPU) is around 5-10% slower on average than a Radeon VII (which is still GCN based, so TF comparisons with Navi aren't straightforward)
pcgh
computerbase.de

The Series X GPU should be faster than the VII

Nov 14, 2017
I still don't understand how Sony and MS are going to manage storage with SSD's. They are both touting SSD's for fast loading but how is this going to work? Even 1-2TB of storage consoles ship with know get eaten up by 100+GB installs. External SSD support will help, but both Sony and MS are using server equivalent internal SSD's that an external won't be able to match.
I think there have been designs for cartridges floating round. Not sure how reliable they are, but having proprietary flash carts as a storage expansion solution would be possible. Otherwise, I think they'd have to insist on high speed USB4 SSDs that basically don't exist yet (and still might not be fast enough).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
2 years ago maybe

But last January we had this
imgur.com

Next Xbox mysterious leak

24305 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

And I remember it being laughed out of the room, it might be the earliest leak of valuable information I can remember. Crazy if it ends up being true
The 12/4tf spec rumours were already doing the rounds before that was posted, so whoever wrote that basically compiled existing rumours and threw in a few of their own.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
GPU sounds too powerful for $499. Also, 120 Fps and VRR will be pointless when most AAA games will target 30 Fps to utilize ray tracing and other fancy effects at 4k.. Will be nice for indie games that go for 120 fps at least.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah that's all great and I'm happy for those who get it but I have to prioritize my money so if I get either system at launch it won't be Xbox barring unforeseen items. If I can play their games for at least 1 year I'm good until then, wait for price drop. And I was really burnt by the lack of first party 2014-2018, so while I enjoy my Game Pass machine, I will need to see all these studio purchases deliver on a game or two.

That's cool. Just answering the original question. The Series X versions of games will run smoother, look better and spend less time in loading screens. It's the same reason people upgrade PCs. There will be plenty of justification for a lot of people to upgrade before the true next gen exclusives designed from the ground up for these machines arrive. That said, I'd never fault people for waiting a year or two if they can. You'll still get to play with your friends and experience the same stories and characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony will top it, and the reason is simple; PS5 won't be held back by PS4.

Microsoft can't fragment their Game Pass subscription base, so everything they put out has to run on an Xbox One. So regardless of how powerful the Series X is, it's not going to show it's true potential because Xbox games have to be developed with the old hardware in mind.

So my thinking is we're basically going to see 4K 60fps Xbox One games at high settings on Series X. Meanwhile PS5's first party games will look like next gen games because they're designed exclusively for PS5.

They're both using different strategies, so we'll see which matters more to players. At least this is my early take.

That is one way I suppose....

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think he's talking about the entire post (or the first part really).

More so this whack part:
"So my thinking is we're basically going to see 4K 60fps Xbox One games at high settings on Series X. Meanwhile PS5's first party games will look like next gen games because they're designed exclusively for PS5."

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Its still bullshit

nobody has that much information and can leak like that without getting fired.

remains to be seen I guess
The 12/4tf spec rumours were already doing the rounds before that was posted, so whoever wrote that basically compiled existing rumours and threw in a few of their own.

gotcha, it's the earliest hit when I searched "leak" in my telegram group chat so I wasn't sure

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
When they say compatibility, it is fully backwards compatible? If I want to play Project Gotham Racing 4, I'll be able to?
Looking at the way the article is phrased everything that runs on the Xbox One will run on the Series X which will include the 360 and OG Xbox games that are currently backwards compatible.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the powerhouse it was rumored to be and Xbox after certainly making smart, consumer-friendly moves for their personal business.

Unfortunately, some of those moves are tempered by the fact it only applies to MS themselves. Smart Delivery is great, unfortunately it's optional for third parties, and who here doesn't expect EA, Activision, and Bethesda to sell you a current gen version as well as a next gen one? They gotta pad those numbers.

And day and date first party titles on Game Pass is nice, but MS's track record for first party this last gen has been dogshit. That being a selling point of the console is largely dependant on you personally having faith in MS to deliver good first party titles, hell, I can't think of a single one that's been announced off the top of my head other than Halo.

In any previous gen, if you would show me these specs I would absolutely swear they would charge $599. But as others have said, with the incredible value of GamePass, it's clear MS is banking on services and subscriptions for the bulk of their revenue going forward, so I'm willing to bet they are willing to eat that up front cost on the hardware and charge $499.

Still, these are very generous policies wrapped up with insanely powerful hardware, I look forward to picking one up. I'm just not sure what I'll be playing on it in the near term.

It'll be Castlevania Harmony of Despair. MS's implementation of back compat is the best thing they've done this gen!

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

lol this cant be real

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like the powerhouse it was rumored to be and Xbox after certainly making smart, consumer-friendly moves for their personal business.

Unfortunately, some of those moves are tempered but the fact it only applies to MS themselves. Smart Delivery is great, unfortunately it's optional for third parties, and who here doesn't expect EA, Activision, and Bethesda to sell you a current gen version as well as a next gen one? They gotta pad those numbers.

And day and date first party titles on Game Pass is nice, but MS's track record for first party this last gen had been dogshit. That being a selling point of the console is largely dependant on you personally having faith in MS to deliver good first party titles, hell, I can't think of a single one that's been announced off the top of my head other than Halo.

In any previous gen, if you would show me these specs I would absolutely swear they would charge $599. But as others have said, work the incredible value of GamePass, it's clear MS is banking on services and subscriptions for the bulk of their revenue going forward, so I willing to bet they are willing to eat that up front cost on the hardware and charge $499.

Still, these are very generous policies wrapped up with insanely powerful hardware, I look forward to picking one up. I'm just not sure what I'll be playing on it in the near term.

It'll be Castlevania Harmony of Despair. MS's implementation of back compat is the best thing they've done this gen!

EA did cross gen purchase for Battlefield 4 last time.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

Microsoft aims at power and graphics in this generation. They want to output the game the best they can: FPS, VRR. Do you really think MS will downplay their beast? Do you really think they will build a monster and not invest in giving the best graphics they can?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.