• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
So, Xbox SX is comparatively speaking as powerful as a 2080?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA2 is probably just 1 with VRR & RT, as we expected, there might be another surprise.
I'm wondering if the remaining two Turing features will make the cut for RDNA2: mesh shaders and sampler feedback. Both will be released in DX with Win10 2004 but it's a bit weird to not see them mentioned by MS so far, especially considering that both features are supposedly fairly straight forward to implement in h/w.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Smart Delivery is optional but publishers that don't use it will probably get a ton of backlash. I feel that Microsoft spoke extensively to 3rd parties about this before hand, seeing as we immediately got the Cyberpunk confirmation.

Yeah this seems to be the case

shouldnt be a hard choice for third parties but it will probably take them months to decide if they want to bleed a few more dollars out of people transitioning to next gen for upgrade fees like what happened in the last gen transition

Last edited:

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
yep, and last I remember, they already lose money on consoles as is. They always recoup costs from software and subscriptions.

given that MS will have

project x cloud
Game pass
Xbox Gold

let's say they are 10 each, that's 30 a month, 360 a year, within two years of any user having all three of those, they recouped the cost of a console and then some.

obviously it won't be that straightforward, but the revenue stream exemplified here suggests that they could totally take that loss and by playing the long con will generate much more revenue in the end.

there's a thousand different factors not considered here, but you can imagine just how much they could be making and if this undercutting is actually possible.
I think 500 for both, and ms will justify the lose to shareholders by using gold/gamepass.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required.
No developer work required for improved resolution? Is this something like the Heutchy method but for Xbox One games?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
There are the 12 Teraflops. It will be a beast of a product. Showing real confidence with this product. Happy to learn more soon.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Smart Delivery is optional but publishers that don't use it will probably get a ton of backlash. I feel that Microsoft spoke extensively to 3rd parties about this before hand, seeing as we immediately got the Cyberpunk confirmation.

I imagine even that CDPR tweet was part of their marketing deal. Nothing untoward about it. Just a standard thing.

"We will tweet something about your console. A specific feature if you like, when you do a new media thing".

I'd expect nothing less from a proper partnership agreement.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I'm not hardwa savy,so my question is games like red dead redemption 2 if the developer wanted to they can add ray tracing and better graphic enhancements,or like fallout 4 which still is choppy on xbox one x will run smoother now?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm wondering if the remaining two Turing features will make the cut for RDNA2: mesh shaders and sampler feedback. Both will be released in DX with Win10 2004 but it's a bit weird to not see them mentioned by MS so far, especially considering that both features are supposedly fairly straight forward to implement in h/w.
This is why it's a pain RDNA2 isn't out yet, it's going to be fun to see it's features & RT performance.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
All these games playable day one all on gamepass that I know of. Smart delivery will be a killer new feature.

Halo Infinite

Fable by Playground games

AAA RPG by Obsidian

Forza Motorsport 8

Hellblade 2

Forza Horizon 5

Microsoft Flight simulator

Age of Empires 4

Everwild by Rare

Ori 2

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Yes. Zen2 architecture is vastly better than Jaguars. Cores and threads aren't a flat rate. 1 core / thread of Jaguar wont equal 1 core / thread of Zen2. It isnt the same CPU, but i just very recently upgraded my PC CPU from an old FX8350, which had 8 Cores and 16 Threads, to a Zen2 6 Core 12 Thread, and the benchmarks blow my old CPU away
Yes true. I'm preparing to swap my CPU as well.

But what i meant was that "4 times" jump based on the original Xbox One's CPU, isn't that high of a jump compared to the rest. DF suspected 7 times the CPU jump.
Wonder what the clock speeds are.

Edit: Now it sounds like that i'm not in a hurry to swap CPU, maybe only SSD's and GPU. My i7 5930k @4.3ghz is still a beast in benchmarks. wonder how long it will hold up. Kinda strange, i usually build a complete new system based on the new console specs. Might be the first gen i incrementally upgrade instead.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
PS5 has enhanced BC and its own version of Smart Delivery.

giphy.gif

#Matt4MVP

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Smart Delivery is a product of the eco system Xbox are seemingly forcing on publishers, Every game must run on every xbox no platform exclusives so it makes sense to only pay for the game once as the buyer does not choose a console to buy it on they choose to buy the xbox family game. This will 100% not be the same on PS5.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope every game is 60fps minimum with such a powerful machine and i mean games like Assassins Creed, GTA etc.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So now it's really up to Sony. MS has pretty much given all they can give for now, except CPU and SSD details.

Hopefully Sony brings an end to this silence soon. Because like anyone else here I really want to see what they have in store for us. And will they go cheaper (because they might be slightly inferior) or will it be the same price? At the end of the day a cheaper system is only better for my wallet, haha. The wait continues.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Those are separate reports, if I recall. Likewise, the 9.2TF Github leak was missing features that we know are in the PS5, such as hardware-based ray-tracing. I'm not saying it's fake, but rather that it doesn't paint the whole picture for PS5.
I'm telling you now that 9.2TF might be best case scenario. Whether it's RDNA1 or 2, the chance of getting retail machine that is expected put out 2GHz of sustained GPU clock seems too optimistic to me.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Smart Delivery is a product of the eco system Xbox are seemingly forcing on publishers, Every game must run on every xbox no platform exclusives so it makes sense to only pay for the game once as the buyer does not choose a console to buy it on they choose to buy the xbox family game. This will 100% not be the same on PS5.

Xbox doesn't enforce this on 3rd party publishers.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Explain to me how the 'main console' is the one that hasn't been announced yet?
Because Xbox Series X is their flagship console. Every game shown (in trailers, during press events, during public events, etc.) will run on it. But it won't be the console which will sell the most.

Now, they want that everyone think about how amazing Xbox Series X is. Then, when they will reveal the price (in June, probably), they will say something like "you don't want to pay $499 for a next-gen console? We have another solution for you: Xbox Series S. With it, next-gen is available for only $299!"

If they have announced Xbox Series S first, the people thirsty for next-gen announcements (so us, hardcore gamers, and journalists) would be disappointed, because they would say something like "8 TF for a next-gen console? 1440p in 2020?"

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Smart Delivery is not mandated. A publisher can sell separate SX and One SKUs.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Just woke up and it's a Pretty great confirmation after running around in circles for months. It really never made any sense not to be after everything pointing to it. MS also lack of need of clarifying when every site was reporting because if it was different would been a huge issue of losing control of the message that I had extreme doubts.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Let's hope every game is 60fps minimum with such a powerful machine and i mean games like Assassins Creed, GTA etc.
Don't expect that. Since casual gamers [vast majority of gamers] don't care, devs will also don't care much about high framerate. MS 1st party may care for high framerate in some way since their early games will all have to run on base Xbox One, and Zen2 will stomp all over Jaguar.

The most visually spectacular Series X game is Hellblade 2, which was marketed in letterboxed 4K at 24fps.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
this isnt the first time ms traded blows with, or even beat high end pcs, people forget the 360 was that way too. I think most people though those days were over.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I have a PC friend who thinks these specs are bloated and just lies because of the costs and size of the Xbox SX.
He has to remember that, unlike PC parts manufacturers, Microsoft is not interested in earning money from the hardware. They want the money from the software.

PC parts manufacturers sell their items for a profit.

Also, it is possible that Microsoft (and Sony) are absorbing some of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.