• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If a developer wants, they can create one SKU or their title across Xbox One and Xbox Series X. You can purchase the SKU and depending what system you are on, it will work as intended on that system. It's basically Play Anywhere in the sense that one purchase by you will net you a playable game on both systems.
Almost.

Any One SKU will play on the SX.

If a game is Smart Delivery enabled, buying a One SKU will also get you the SX SKU, and vice versa.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Is this thread really just ignoring the fact that the AMD Vega 64 is capable of 12.6 tflops , whereas a 1080Ti is only 11.5 tflops and blows the VEGA away? Or is everyone just blindly buying into marketing speak?

You're the one ignoring the flood of posts here using the 9.7 TF RX5700 XT as a comparison point.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Smart Delivery is marketing speak for backwards compatibility, correct? As long as the devs support it?
Its just marketing talk for a standard feature in all digital stores. Buy a game on Steam, it is smart enough to know what hardware you are on and to send you the correct bits.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Why is he underplaying the capabilities of his product?

Because the X1X is 6TF and the Series X is 12TF. It is much better to straight up use the numbers and let them speak than to claim something the numbers don't support.

Sure, RDNA2 is more efficient than GCN and 12TF of the first is probably more than 2x as powerful as 6TF of the latter, but your average consumer isn't going to know that. They're going to see 6 and 12 and double. If he said more than double or 3x then the average consumer would be dubious because they see 6 and 12 and wonder how the hell this guy got 3x the power.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
so smart delivery is just marketing for backwards compatibility right for 1st party games? Or am I missing something?

It's the system to allow games to show up as a single SKU for both Xbox One and Series X rather than listing the games separately. Buy once on either platform, play on either platform with the version of the game intended for the console you're on rather than just a BC version on Series X.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people seem really confused by the smart delivery thing. I wonder if giving a marketing name to "enhancement patches" has just made people over think it

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Yes.
And it's a great thing.
They just put a name on it to market it but I don't know why you are put so much effort to downplay it.
Yes it's crossbuy with free enhancements and it's great.
I was just trying to understand. Cross-buy is awesome. And cross-gen cross-buy is even better.

It's just that some people said it was not cross-buy so I got confused.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
With these monster specs Titanfall 2 should hold 6k resolution without any extra dev work... more games should use dynamic res.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
$499 or I'll eat my shoes.

Also, going to be amusing watching developers churn out 30 FPS titles all generation with all of this power available. Ubisoft in particular, I'd imagine.
"All this power" can be used for other things than FPS. Most devs will still prefer good looking at high resolution over 60FPS.

Also Team 499. 599 and this will tank sales (or there will be smaller version for mass appeal).

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
It might be a standard feature for Steam, but it is anything but standard for console generations.
Console hardware has usually been wildly different between gens and digital has only been around for the past two. Anyway, both Microsoft and Sony have been doing this with different hardware skus in the base and pro models for years already. So for them to continue that approach is just expected, especially when the hardware is so similar.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ERjS5GcX0AIxANF
Also now we know how they got the idea for the form factor !!
LOL

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
people seem really confused by the smart delivery thing. I wonder if giving a marketing name to "enhancement patches" has just made people over think it
I mean yeah, there are also people still asking what RT is, this is an enthusiast forum but not a tech savvy one, as weird as it sounds.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
"Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

This and "Smart Delivery" are awesome and push console gaming in the right direction. If Sony doesn't implement enhanced BC for PS5 I'll skip it and hold out for the next PlayStation that does. No more excuses.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
So when you think about the cost of a new console... those exclusives always push it beyond the base price of the unit. Now with Gamepass.. lets say MS has 3 exclusives at launch. New Forza, Halo Infinite and another one. Those are just... there and included along with a couple hundred other games. This is totally new territory and while third party next gen games most likely will cost (MS should throw money at UBI to put the next AC in gamepass for a few months at lanuch) the price to entry will never be lower for those that have gamepass....

Gonna be a crazy year... love that all my equipment will move forward... love that this thing is gonna be a beast.. lets go next gen!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is what Sony was waiting for. I think this will speed up the PS5 reveal.

nah - Sony have been early in spec stuff and have shown they prefer to be late on price reveal. They won't want to be second to talk about TF - they'll need another angle I think. Also if they're 9-10TF they may not even talk numbers

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
"Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

This and "Smart Delivery" are awesome and push console gaming in the right direction. If Sony doesn't implement enhanced BC for PS5 I'll skip it and hold out for the next PlayStation that does. No more excuses.
PS5 has enhanced BC and its own version of Smart Delivery.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Come on now. People were speculating hybrid solutions. Not full on RDNA 2.

RT did not automatically mean RDNA 2.
And who engineers these hybrid versions and for what reason?
Why would they use old tech and actually invest extra money to get that old tech?
RDNA 2 was always the logical option.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am not 100% in, but yeah I was pc this gen, might jump back in. that depends on devs though, if they give 60fps as atleast a option I would be garenteed in.

Might just do that too if 60+fps is a reality on a majority of titles
Evcen at 499+, the value proposition is crazy
But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be another 30fps gen for the most part

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
"Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One"

wait.. the Zen 2, 8 core 16 thread CPU is 4 times powerful that the Jaguar 8 core 8 thread 1,75 Ghz CPU?

Yes. Zen2 architecture is vastly better than Jaguars. Cores and threads aren't a flat rate. 1 core / thread of Jaguar wont equal 1 core / thread of Zen2. It isnt the same CPU, but i just very recently upgraded my PC CPU from an old FX8350, which had 8 Cores and 16 Threads, to a Zen2 6 Core 12 Thread, and the benchmarks blow my old CPU away

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
nah - Sony have been early in spec stuff and have shown they prefer to be late on price reveal. They won't want to be second to talk about TF - they'll need another angle I think. Also if they're 9-10TF they may not even talk numbers
that 12tf number all but conferms a second box. they would only be using the upper end of usable chips with that number.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Smart Delivery is optional but publishers that don't use it will probably get a ton of backlash. I feel that Microsoft spoke extensively to 3rd parties about this before hand, seeing as we immediately got the Cyberpunk confirmation.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Next gen is going to be so damn good. Jumping in and out of games, fast loading, multiple suspended games. Fast powerful boxes and amazing games and overall user experience. Can't wait. I'm getting PS5 at launch but I have no qualms jumping back into Xbox some day, they have a compelling box here.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All it takes is for the gamer to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass and Gold and then MS already made back that lost revenue (to a degree). Then you have them hooked into your platform. Of course it's a lot of lost money up front, but the financial gain as the gen goes on will be massive imo

yep, and last I remember, they already lose money on consoles as is. They always recoup costs from software and subscriptions.

given that MS will have

project x cloud
Game pass
Xbox Gold

let's say they are 10 each, that's 30 a month, 360 a year, within two years of any user having all three of those, they recouped the cost of a console and then some.

obviously it won't be that straightforward, but the revenue stream exemplified here suggests that they could totally take that loss and by playing the long con will generate much more revenue in the end.

there's a thousand different factors not considered here, but you can imagine just how much they could be making and if this undercutting is actually possible.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
An absolutely incredible machine.

I don't see how it could possibly be $499.99 without Xbox taking a significant hit on each unit. Which doesn't mean it can't be $499.99, but I'm not sure they want it that much. If they do somehow do it, it would be one of the best value deals in video game history.

I'm expecting $599.99, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.