• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Do it, SONYY!
createcard.png
LMAO

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The fact MS came out with this detail suggests to me that they are indeed clearing the decks for an event soon. They want to get a lot of the specs stuff out there so when it comes to an event they can go in hard on games.

It could, of course, also mean they they aren't even going to have an event. Just a 10 minute segment at the start of their E3 briefing showing the box, then straight into games.

Selfishly, I do hope they hold a separate event, just because I hope it'd be sooner than June and, well, 2 events are better than one.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA 2 wasn't expected, was it?

All of this is seriously exciting news. Damn.

It might be straight RDNA2, but technically you could read 'leveraging' as being correct even if they cherry pick some features from RDNA2 and backport to a RDNA1 GPU. But eg if RT is unique to RDNA2 then it is probably simpler for them to just take that architecture wholesale

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but in a good way. They specify it's RDNA2 which we can deduce the efficiencies from there. 12TF is twice the power of 6TF, and they tell us the architecture too, which is more efficient than old GCN so of course it actually will perform more than 2x, but it is still twice he flops power. Phil did the same with the One X spec reveal and undersold it in order to be technically correct.
"enabling developers to leverage 12 TF of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance, twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One" is the exact quote. I think he's saying it's equivalent to what a 12 TF X1X-GPU would be. It's a brilliantly phrased sentence to maximize the marketing effect, but it's not an actual 12 TF RDNA 2 GPU.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or is there nothing there that we didn't already know? This is far from official specs.
Actually it is news because the 12 tflops number was from rumors and not from ms directly. Also the fact that the GPU is rdna 2 is also news despite how a lot of people including myself thought it was going to be rdna 1. So comparing it to the 5700 xt in term of performance, we should see at least rtx 2080 level of performance from it on non raytracing titles. We still don't know how robust their Ray tracing pipeline is but I can comfortably assume it's no where near what nvidia has in their Turing gpus.

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
Smart Delivery sounds like you buy a game on one platform and choose to play it wherever you like?
...So.. if Fifa is discounted for the Xbox One.. can you buy that version and score a next gen Series X version?
It sounds like they're just talking about 1st party exclusives and it's up to 3rd party developers to implement that into their games. I imagine EA will make you buy multiple versions of games.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
12-14TF at $499 was my original prediction for MS..they really do need to just eat the hardware costs to get back their momentum next gen. I'm guessing w these specs at $499 it's at least $100 per console they're losing but it's well worth it.
I really doubt Microsoft will take a big loss on Xbox Series X, because its price isn't important. Xbox Series X is for gamers who don't care about the price, but who want the best console available at any price.

The main console for Microsoft will be the Xbox Series S. Xbox Series X is their flagship console.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
$499 or I'll eat my shoes.

Also, going to be amusing watching developers churn out 30 FPS titles all generation with all of this power available. Ubisoft in particular, I'd imagine.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
"enabling developers to leverage 12 TF of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance, twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One" is the exact quote. I think he's saying it's equivalent to what a 12 TF X1X-GPU would be. It's a brilliantly phrased sentence to maximize the marketing effect, but it's not an actual 12 TF RDNA 2 GPU.
Are you just being ridiculous at this point going through some massive mental gymnastics to say rubbish.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I posted in the next gen thread but I'll say it here too, I'll gladly pay $500 for this console lol...what a beast.

I really don't think it'll be $599, that just reads death to anyone that really isn't plugged in to specs, flops, etc.

I hope and think they'll go $499, probably throw in 3 or 6 months of Gamepass with it too.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I really doubt Microsoft will take a big loss on Xbox Series X, because its price isn't important. Xbox Series X is for gamers who don't care about the price, but who want the best console available at any price.

The main console for Microsoft will be the Xbox Series S. Xbox Series X is their flagship console.
Explain to me how the 'main console' is the one that hasn't been announced yet?

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
"
Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD's latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One."

It's not marketing, it's factual. I have no idea what you're on about.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
so smart delivery is just marketing for backwards compatibility right for 1st party games? Or am I missing something?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not launching for a dime more than $499. I could see $449 if they're feeling really aggressive and want to put Sony in a bind. Microsoft could take a loss on hardware for the life of the console, but Sony cannot. $499 for both consoles seems like the safe bet though.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Smart Delivery is marketing speak for backwards compatibility, correct? As long as the devs support it?

Oops answered

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It might be straight RDNA2, but technically you could read 'leveraging' as being correct even if they cherry pick some features from RDNA2 and backport to a RDNA1 GPU. But eg if RT is unique to RDNA2 then it is probably simpler for them to just take that architecture wholesale
RDNA2 is probably just 1 with VRR & RT, as we expected, there might be another surprise.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
"
Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD's latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One."

It's not marketing, it's factual. I have no idea what you're on about.
Why is he underplaying the capabilities of his product?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
so smart delivery is just marketing for backwards compatibility right for 1st party games? Or am I missing something?
If a developer wants, they can create one SKU or their title across Xbox One and Xbox Series X. You can purchase the SKU and depending what system you are on, it will work as intended on that system. It's basically Play Anywhere in the sense that one purchase by you will net you a playable game on both systems.

for example, during the 360>Xbox One cross gen, you had to purchase seperate versions of the same game (such as Forza Horizon 2, Assassins Creed Black Flag) if you wanted to play it on 360 and Xbox One. Meaning double the money. Now, Ubisoft could choose to make Assassins Creed Next be one purchase between Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Will devs and pubs do this? Who knows...but MS is making it available to them if they want it.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Comparing this to the PS3 if it's priced at 599 is silly. This console is going to be on proven hardware with a ton of games and developer friendly from the start. There is incredible value and longevity that is obvious right now with the hardware. I still hope for 499 but I don't think the 599 possibility means DOA

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
hmm guess I wasn't thinking there would be much of a difference between the ports outside of better framerate/resolution. Good feature then
This is the mentality we should have. last gen this would have been mind blowing since we were plagued with next gen ports. Now with the pro/X people are like isn't this like the pro/x patch? Which is a good thing, we shouldn't have pay twice for a game.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Jheeze, the XSX is looking like it could be my go to platform for multiplats and the PS5 would be an exclusive machine. But of course Sony has yet to announce all of their details.

This Autumn is going to have my wallet hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.