• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Backwards compatibilty info is still confusing, all games or just the ones that are already compatible with One?. Could we play PGR4, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast or some other not compatble games on Series X?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I am sort of perplexed as to why the official statement lists 12TF RDNA2 as "twice" as powerful as One X given it's architectural efficiency means greater than 2x real world performance over Polaris (GCN).

GCN on top.

Because you can be a more efficient 12tf GPU compared to an older architecture at 6tf, but both are still 6 and 12tf parts. The Series X might behave like a 14tf GPU from the older architecture but it would be false information to promote it as such.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Sounds amazing.

(I will probably still go ps5)

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibilty info is still confusing, all games or just the ones that are already compatible with One?. Could we play PGR4, Outrun 2 on Series X?
All Xbox One games, it sounds like, will be natively compatable at launch. Regarding 360 and OG Xbox games at the moment it's just the ones that already are apart of BC, however MS have said a number of times that the program will resume once the Series X launches and they'll continue to add new games to BC as time goes on.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Captura-de-Tela-2020-02-24-a-s-15-51-14.png

lol
Seriously
I just about died

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
At the moment it's just the ones that already are, however MS have said a number of times that the program will resume once the Series X launches and they'll continue to add new games to BC as time goes on.
Correct.
Hopefully more OG Xbox games will be announced.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Nice specs. Seems like it will be pricey. Though I wouldn't scoff at a $600 price if MS first party delivers. These specs are probably why they started looking into consumer payment plans.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I really want them to make it so that all your old OG/360 games are now compatible. There's gotta be a way around any kind of licensing hell that could give us full access to our libraries. Even if certain games are unable to be "sold" on the marketplace, at least let us download and play titles like After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade.

There are even titles that are still being sold on the 360 marketplace (like Burnout 3) that aren't BC and need to be.

This new generation needs to be the one that leaves all the stupid parts of console gaming behind for good.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Looking forward to getting more info over the next few months. Everything about next gen sounds so good so far. :)

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
This is the console we've all been waiting for! Going to be a beast. Smart Delivery and Multiple Quick Resume is amazing to hear. Can't wait to hear more at E3 and see what the 15 Xbox Game Studio developers can do using this hardware.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Because you can be a more efficient 12tf GPU compared to an older architecture at 6tf, but both are still 6 and 12tf parts. The Series X might behave like a 14tf GPU from the older architecture but it would be false information to promote it as such.

A statement like, "The Series X features 12TF RDNA 2 GPU which provides more 2x the performance of 6TF One X and over 8x.... ...due to architectural efficiency improvements over last generation". That wouldn't be lie. That said, what is done is done and the proof is the pudding. We are going to have many tasty puddings.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Smart delivery aka buy once and baking it into the sdk for third parties to use is a boss move. Based Microsoft.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
If Sony is going to play coy I'm not sure I'm going to stick with them as my primary console for the coming generation.

Sony was my go to because they had price and power, but also forward thinking with Remote Play in every game, SharePlay, VR, and PSNow cloud gaming. All of which I use.

if they've given up on the innovation front and aren't being transparent about it I'd rather move my gaming to Xbox and enjoy their gamepass and xcloud services and possible future VR integration. Also the PSO2 is actually making me very excited for its future.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
He seems very confident which I'm not really seeing from playstation atm.

Really like the "visual upgrades on bc games without any work from the developer" too I think their bc team is gunna knock it out of the park again.

Just a bit more info then they can start showing how the games are looking on it which is the best part.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, are we at the point of "Sony has as much if not more money than Microsoft" for the thread?

Folks, do some research, they do not. If Microsoft wanted to get into a pricing war (Not saying they do, none of us know any of MS's or Sony's plan) they would win. I doubt it's something either company will do since it might be a pyrrhic victory, but I don't understand why people think Sony can outspend Microsoft.

These specs look good and the 500-600 range is there, 400 would be cool but I think it's time people start to ready themselves for former. That all said, thinking about inflation, it would be impossible to assume consoles would stay at 400 forever.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
12 TFlops RDNA2 is amazing.

I'm kicking myself for having to pick up a new gpu right now as the old one failed again.

I feel you, I'm in the same boat.
Just can't convince myself to shell out big bucks on the current GPU offerings when I see those specs...
How I wish we had the new cards already...

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still deciding which one to get. Most likely Series X since I did get a PS4 and Pro this gen. Hmm.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
A statement like, "The Series X features 12TF RDNA 2 GPU which provides more 2x the performance of 6TF One X and over 8x.... ...due to architectural efficiency improvements over last generation". That wouldn't be lie. That said, what is done is done and the proof is the pudding. We are going to have many tasty puddings.

It has never been presented like that. There are architectural improvements on every console generation. The teraflop number is a theoretical maximum and the more efficient the architecture the closer you can get to that number consistently. Just by saying RDNA2 they are making it clear this is a more efficient architecture.

Last edited:

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Will existing controllers be forward compatible with DLI? I know they'll work on the series X, but can they be firmware updated to support their new dynamic latency thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.