• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
That was really good. Who would of thought that Wal-Mart would have one of the best video game related commercials? As an old man and gaming since the Atari 2600 this was pretty damn good.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Good ad, but I feel like he went from younger than I was when the original Xbox released to older than I am now, lol

Edit: Scratch that, little kid was BEFORE original Xbox. Checks out (whew...I'm still kinda young right...? yeah...)

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I was 20 when I got an OG Xbox, I'm now 40 with a daughter and greying. Math checks out.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This just makes me feel down. I've always wanted to be a dad, but I've never had the best dating life, and that doesn't seem to be changing soon. At 30, I feel like time is running out, but that might just be because a very significant amount of my friends have kids who are closer to 10 than they are 0.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I like it. I remember 2001 very well. The days of Halo on XBConnect and Gamespy.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 40 and Love sharing my hobby with my son, he's 7 now and time is flying by.

I can relate to this commercial and it really pounds home the fact time is flying by

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
How many Xbox 360s did they show the guy buying in the video? I mean like how many did the red ring of death for this guy? Come on folks you know we were all there.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing ad, wow, literally shows gaming as a profoundly joyful experience through life, one that carves out moments of shared happiness, no matter what age. Perhaps one of the best ads in gaming I've seen, really touched me, I didn't expect that. Not as old as the dude, but deeply moved by it.

Last edited:

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Rofl going from a teenager picking up an Xbox in 2001 to being an old man with a teenage daughter in 2020.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh this is such a nice ad, I'm getting misty-eyed here :,)

I wish the whole industry would realize how many of us has gone this route and starts making AAA games we can play without hiding from our kids. Gaming violence is a serious problem.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The mother is completely invisible throughout all stages of the ad, lol.

Maybe the child was included with the og xbox.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Good ad, but their perception of time is way off. I was a teen when the Xbox came out and I'm definitely not a graying 40 something with a teenaged child now.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Wow, that's exactly me. His daughter even looks like mine and look to be the same age. I don't have as many grays yet though.

Good ad, but their perception of time is way off. I was a teen when the Xbox came out and I'm definitely not a graying 40 something with a teenaged child now.

He didn't look like a teen when he had that backwards cap on, looked more like the fashion at the time, I used to wear my hat backwards in my early 20s, lol. I was 20 when the Xbox original came out and now have a 15 year old daughter.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Damn...that could actually be me.

I'm 50 and it's pretty close to what I have experienced.

This has hit me harder than I thought it would. Two gens to go I guess, but gonna continue for as long as I can 💪🏻

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
They got the age for the kid right, but jesus that dude went from 18 years old to 50 in 18 years

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Considering we had an intellivision in a drawer and an NES with a power pad when I was a kid, no, seeing Minecraft on a Walmart tv doesn't affect me lol.
And yeah that dude had a kid at 16 when he got his OG Xbox and then aged like Robin Williams in JACK

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't look like a teen when he had that backwards cap on, looked more like the fashion at the time, I used to wear my hat backwards in my early 20s, lol. I was 20 when the Xbox original came out and now have a 15 year old daughter.

Looked like a teen to me.

It seems to me like they were going for a full circle theme:

From a teen buying his first Xbox to him as an adult with a teenaged daughter playing the latest Xbox.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean I could see the concept working with the other brands but uhhh the aging here really didn't work lol, that's sure not 20 years

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Looked like a teen to me.

It seems to me like they were going for a full circle theme:

From a teen buying his first Xbox to him as an adult with a teenaged daughter playing the latest Xbox.

So 19 year old in 01' to a 38 year old in 2020. People have teenage kids in their mid 30s all the time. Even if he were 15 he'd be 34. People have kids in their late teens and early 20s all the time. I'm 39 with a 15 and a 12 year old and my first daughter wasn't born until I was 24.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
So 19 year old in 01' to a 38 year old in 2020. People have teenage kids in their mid 30s all the time. Even if he were 15 he's be 34. People have kids in their late teens and early 20s all the time. I'm 39 with a 15 and a 12 year old.

Good for you dude, I'm not looking for an argument here, it's just my opinion. Like several other people in this thread, I feel that the timing/aging is way off, I don't know any 30 somethings who have aged as much as the guy in the commercial.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Good for you dude, I'm not looking for an argument here, it's just my opinion. Like several other people in this thread, I feel that the timing/aging is way off, I don't know any 30 somethings who have aged as much as the guy in the commercial.

*thumbs up* (this forum needs a like system imo)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So 19 year old in 01' to a 38 year old in 2020. People have teenage kids in their mid 30s all the time. Even if he were 15 he's be 34. People have kids in their late teens and early 20s all the time. I'm 39 with a 15 and a 12 year old and my first daughter wasn't born until I was 24.
Yeah people are just trying to find faults as usual. The ad is perfect, it speaks to me in the deepest ways. And I can't wait to have my Series X in just a few days and gather the family to play something cool!
I just wish there were more games aimed at younger kids, the ad is on point in this regard because Xbox has a lack of exciting games suitable for kids.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Basically a tame version of this:
www.youtube.com

Life is Short (Original Xbox advert banned)

Mod Original Xbox to play ROMs, Import/Burned Games, XBMC & Emulators. Xbox Softmod Kit for NTSC or PALThe banned commercial starts with a woman giving birth...
minus the dying part.
(cool ad!)

Edit, crap I see that another Lord has posted the same thing.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is standing out to me is the positive feelings and enthusiasm towards gaming, on Xbox no less. Something that you can easily forget if you participate in modern gaming communities.