• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Series X vs. Series S

• Series X - Full power, baby

Votes: 981 84.4%
  • Series S - Don't need those bells and whistles

Votes: 181 15.6%

• Total voters

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Series X for my 65" 4k HDR TV in our main room.

I love the way the S looks though, and the whole 1440p gaming for $299 is just crazy. I may buy one, in time, for the bedroom.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I forgot about the biggest reason which is the disc drive, I've been wanting to replay KOTOR. I've been pretty much all digital this gen for game sharing, but I need the drive for my old games.

Firefox

Oct 27, 2017
Series X around launch. The Series S is not a good value when considering all the trade offs. (no disc drive, less than 500 GB usable space, limited / no ray tracing in the future regardless of what Microsoft have said etc..)

It is a good system for those who only play Sports games, only COD/Apex etc... but not for someone like me who is interested in the entire game pass library / big third party titles.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
X is the cheaper long run value. The X will most likely last all gen. If you get the S, you could find yourself in the likely position of having to upgrade.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I am getting the Series X. Have been unsure about getting the Xbox this gen because I have a pc, but the backcompat has really impressed me. With a 4K bluray drive as well it will be used for sure.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
XSX. My PC is getting a bit old now so I would like to take advantage of a more powerful machine. I may end up with the XSS down the line for my office. I'm currently rocking the Xbox One in my office and just started using it again due to subscribing to Game Pass, but it's past it's prime and I don't enjoy using it.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
That's my thinking. If and when the Series S starts struggling with the later part of the gen, the Series X will be cheaper and probably have a smaller model or bigger SSD or something by then anyway. No need to rush to X for me.
Same. I play on a 1080 TV, and paying $200 more for hardware that'll essentially be idle is not a good spend for me.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I'm getting the S but the better BC with the X is really tempting. I just don't know if its worth the extra $220 CAD for me.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Series X as it'll be more cost effective than upgrading my PC but I'll be jumping in next year (have a bunch of digital titles spanning OG Xbox to XB1 so want for that too).

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The S is so cute, and looks apart I think it's a valid purchase especially if you're gaming at 1080p. But I went with the X. Not for future proofing, cause I'm sure there'll be a 'pro' before the X is tapped properly... I just wanted that extra punch at the start of the gen.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Series X for me. I'm going digital with my PS5, I want that true next gen power, and I have several physical XBox and Xbox 360 games that I still want to play.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Both, X for living room, S for office. X will be the primary obviously, but my fiance will play on the S if she happens to be playing something at the same time as me.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
If Series S could do the Xbox One X enhancements at 1440p, I'd be all over that.

But since I have a One X and moving to Series S I'd lose out on those One X features, I have to go Series X.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Both, X for living room, S for office. X will be the primary obviously, but my fiance will play on the S if she happens to be playing something at the same time as me.

Similar for me. I'm looking forward to being able to get a sense (first-hand) how closely the Series S ends up holding up compared to Series X and PS5, as the gen goes on.

If Series S could do the Xbox One X enhancements at 1440p, I'd be all over that.

But since I have a One X and moving to Series S I'd lose out on those One X features, I have to go Series X.

The disc drive and HDD space really does make the Series X the better choice, assuming the disposable income is there.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to get the S, but now undecided and considering the X. Might wait a bit for some impressions on the S first.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp that sees the Series X as the much better overall value proposition despite the higher price. $300 is nice on paper, until you see the amount of key sacrifices the S makes to meet that number.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
The X Because $300 and $500 aren't that big a difference to me to justify the power difference. Plus, the XSX / PS5 are basically my interim upgrades for this gen to last me at least half the Gen until I upgrade my PC for the latter half of the gen (not gonna get the mid Gen upgrades like I did Pro this time). They're roughly equivalent to my PC as is, so XSX is basically my Gamepass/Multiplat console, while PS5 is just for Exclusives.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The disc drive and HDD space really does make the Series X the better choice, assuming the disposable income is there.

Normally, the income would be there, but my wife lost her job in the whole pandemic thing and there's no room in the budget for Series X and PS5 at launch. So it's going to be PS5 first if I can secure one for that one exclusive I want at launch (Demon's Souls) and a wait for the Series X till we have more income rolling in since again, the S will lose out on One X benefits I already have.

But the Series S really is an attractive little machine... and honestly the only next gen system that will fit in my entertainment center...

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Was going to get an S with a PS5 to follow in a couple of years. The price of games for PS5 has completely turned me off so I am now saying goodbye to Sony and am going full power series X. I also have a 4K TV which I bought for my Pro.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Disc drive and the Series S just seems like too much of a compromise overall.

IMO, the better buy is the Series X, despite the price difference.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it came out that it could do that...

My understanding is that in backwards compatible mode (what runs by default without developer intervention), the Series S will run under the One S profile for games, so any of the specific resolution and effects enhancements like improved textures and shadows won't be there even if the frame rates will be improved.

Developers CAN make patches for their games for Series S to take advantage of the new GPU capabilities of the Series S, like Gears 5 will apparently be doing... but I doubt many devs will take the time to patch specifically for Series S.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the X because
YD1FOG5.jpg

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Went for the X. The BC is important to me, I've got a ton of physical BC 360 games and a few xbox one games on disc (Including some delisted ones). I've also got a 4K tv, and don't fully believe that the resolution will be the only difference between S and X games once we're a few years into the gen.

Oh and if ÂŁ70 games are the norm then I want more options on where I buy them from.

Series X as my main, PS5 for exclusives.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Series X, but only because it has a disc drive. I have a 1080p TV, so I'm sure the series S is powerful enough for me, but I don't buy digital games.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Disc Drive is the number one as I like to get certain games in physical copies. Will also be enjoying the power that comes with the Series X.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
X all the way, i dont care about 4k at all, but im fully expecting towards the end of this gen we'll get some games that will really push even the X and i dont even want to think how poorly it will run on an S.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have a One X, so Series X was the logical jump in point due to BC support and nextgen performance. Nice and easy.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I always try to get the best version of tech that I want, within reason. I rarely spend extra money on other things so I like to I guess you can say "treat" myself when it comes to this stuff. If there were higher end versions I'd have even gotten those. XSX and PS5 non digital for me.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I'm getting an XSX. Also, I'm going to say it: the Series S is a terrible value for non casuals. I said it (my opinion of course). Yes, its 300, but you also have half the storage space, and lowers specs. XSX for the win.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
X as I have not wasted money on myself in a while, but I would have been fine with Series S as well

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Preordered an X..

Honestly.. only because i need a disk player for my kids' movies. I would have been fine with an S if it played disks.

I have no idea where I'm going to stuff the thing. It won't fit where it should in my tv stand. The size is really annoying.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Both. Need each for work to test on retail hardware, but my day-to-day time is likely firmly on the Series X.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm gonna play on PC, but the home console we'll share in the family is probably an Xbox Series S. I hope we can get the X, would be dope. Unless PS5 announces something truly out of this world with a price cut in the local market.

Oct 28, 2017
Series X because i'm still not sure how the Series S will even run games compared to the X. Same graphics and framerate at 1080p would be fantastic, but i'm starting to have my doubts.

7e3c43af158d7aaebb134642503438bf.jpg

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Still debating myself. Right now I'm leaning towards Series S because by the time I buy a 4K TV, I might just get a X or a new revision.

What is giving me pause is memory space. Though, to be fair, Series X and PS5 are also going to have trouble in this department, and if the promise of 30% smaller downloads on S pan out, it might not be that bad.

Hopefully games can stick within the 100gb range this generation.

Another concern is the resolution side of things. I assume a lot of developers will target 1440p for their games on Series X. What does that mean for Series S? 720p?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I could only keep one for the rest of the gen, it would without doubt be the Series X. For just $200 you're getting 3x the performance if not more, double the storage, more ram, faster ram etc. It's just far more future proof.

With that said, I actually ended up pre-ordering both systems, the Series X for my main room, and the Series S for the second room or bedroom, or to sell or return.

As there aren't really any(?) new exclusive launch games for the XSS/XSX besides Falconeer, if Digital Foundry shows multi-platform games are very close between the PS5 and XSX, I might just keep the XSS as a Game Pass machine for now, sell my XSX, but buy another one again several months later for cheaper for the main room.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
if i go with xbox, instead of pc as gamepass machine,
it will be series x, and not even a close call.

crazy how much more power you get for extra200.
on top of that;
thinking about the ssd size issues,
good possibility of series s becoming a sub1080p machine when demanding games hit in couple of years, yeah don't see any point really.