• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else have this problem ?

I have had it recently but it never happens in the middle of games, rather once I close a game and go back to the dash. Basically what happens is I'll go to dash, close the game and then after short period of time I'll either get a weird graphical glitch or at some point a green screen then the console will turn it self off and will only turn back on by pressing the power button on the console (not pad)

It's happened lately with Fifa 22 (which sends the fans crazy in the menus) Forza 5 and Halo. It's odd because it's not like the fans are going nuts and if it was overheating I would suspect it to happen under load in game, rather than when I drop back to the dashboard.

I know from check people have had similar issues in the past, but anyone else here ? warranty is only live till the 25th so if it needs to go back I need to raise the repair before then !

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No. I've had the console shut off randomly while playing a game twice since I got it about 11 months ago. Very rare occurrences and haven't really happened in a long time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but if I have the space heater on high and the XSX on while playing a graphically intensive game it'll blow my surge protector. Are you in the insider program? Those builds can be unstable I hear.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
I've crashed to dashboard several times over the last year but no, I've never had a complete shutdown before.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it happen once on Series X when I was browsing HBO Max. Luckily, it hasn't happened since. I've had my console for about 7 months now.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me a few times where I would lose signal to the TV and I need to unplug the HDMI cable.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No I've had games lock up a lot more than usual though. Freeze and instant crash to menu.

Day 1 X'er here

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It happened to me once or twice but not in a long time. Have you restarted your console or performed a full shutdown? Sometimes power cycling helps.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Green screen / graphical glitches just sounds like a GPU error (overheating, etc). If the fans aren't going crazy, that could still be overheating and the fans aren't ventilating properly. Is there enough space for the console to vent? Is it dusty?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's happened to me twice - both times were Madden. That game is a bit of a mess, so I blame that game, tbh.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I would get out of the inside program and see if problems keep happening. Unless you just want to play it safe and send it in now before the time expires.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Green screen / graphical glitches just sounds like a GPU error (overheating, etc). If the fans aren't going crazy, that could still be overheating and the fans aren't ventilating properly. Is there enough space for the console to vent? Is it dusty?
I missed the green screen and glitches part. I'd send it in ASAP or give them a call while it's under warranty. MSFT is very good about getting your console back to you, but I'd do it fast.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm on my 3rd series X since I got it April of this year. The 2nd that was a replacement had this issue day 1. You have to send it in for warranty/repair. Pray the one they send doesn't have other issues.

My 3rd replacement crashes every time I play Scarlet Nexus. I don't know if I need another replacement console or if it's the game.

Seems almost no one on this board have these issues but I've seen comments on Reddit and YouTube about these issues.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
If there's weird graphics glitches at dash, sounds like a gpu problem of just contact Microsoft about.

OP
OP
RulkezX

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017

Yes it's room to vent and no it's not dusty.

I don't think it's overheating, I can literally recreate shutdown every time with FIFA.

I just put FIFA on just now, fresh boot, was only in the menu before I had to do something so closed the game and left console on dash. I've come back 5 minutes later and console is off, need to start via console power button.

OTOH played Halo on quality and Forza for hours yesterday, no issue. Definitely seems like software based.

Re - fans, they're coming on, just not going jet engine like you'd expect if there was a heating issue.

Anyone know what the turnaround for a UK repair is ?

Cheers for the replies anyway.

Edit : £250 for an out of warranty service jfc. Think I better seems it in before the 25th then !

Last edited:

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Not sure if this helps OP, but I had a definitely faulty Series X, and didn't realise for a month or two.

In my case it would crash to home, and occasionally reboot.

At first I thought this was an issue with the game (was Hitman 3 this first started happening to) but after more games requiring the hard drive also failed to load, I figured it might be an internal issue. I never had any issues with games not using the SSD, which is part of the reason it took a while to recognize as an issue.

Sent it to Microsoft Central and they sent me back a brand new unit; never had an issue since.

Hope you get it resolved!

OP
OP
RulkezX

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this helps OP, but I had a definitely faulty Series X, and didn't realise for a month or two.

In my case it would crash to home, and occasionally reboot.

At first I thought this was an issue with the game (was Hitman 3 this first started happening to) but after more games requiring the hard drive also failed to load, I figured it might be an internal issue. I never had any issues with games not using the SSD, which is part of the reason it took a while to recognize as an issue.

Sent it to Microsoft Central and they sent me back a brand new unit; never had an issue since.

Hope you get it resolved!

Cheers,

After seeing the cost of an out of warranty console I've raised the repair order.

Only downside is being without a console for a month

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I believe Jeff Grubb had an issue similar to this and he sent his back to Microsoft under warranty.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I've never experienced this. Closest thing was the screen cutting to black which initially appeared like random shutdowns, but it turns out to be a bad cable / HDMI handshake issue. Beyond that, I've had zero issues.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If the fans AREN'T going nuts then it might be that it is overheating and it has an issue

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Thankfully I didn't experience this since launch. Very rare crashes to the dashboard did happen though.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I also have the issue where the console turns off after playing games for like an hour. It then can only be turned on via the power button again.
The strange part is that this exact console was working fine just a couple of weeks ago. It then one day randomly stopped turning on and I sent it in for repair. Now the repaired console starts up normally but has the aforementioned issue with it shutting down. I assume something broke when the power issue arose.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Mine got a little wonky once in awhile until I moved it out of my tv stand. (vertical)

I now have it laying horizontal in my new tv stand stand and have had zero issues.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
No issues with mine thus far. I've had one crash whilst playing GotG, but other than that? Pretty smooth experience.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Only happened twice for me and it was for the same game during cutscene transitions. So I think it was a major software bug with that game hard crashing my series X. Has not happened to me again for almost 6+ months now.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I've only had mine for a few weeks but haven't had that issue. That said it's on a desk in the open in a very well ventilated area, even so it pumps out a bit of heat.