• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
If it can come anywhere *CLOSE* to what Aureal 3D was before the evil bastards at Creative killed it, I will be ecstatic.

Ray-traced sound is mindbogglingly good. Having footsteps sound like they are right next to you when they are 100ft away would be a thing of the past.

youtu.be

Aureal Vortex A3D Demos Headphones Surround

Thank you for watching this video! Hope you found it interesting, please leave a comment and subscribe to the channel! Disclosure: Some links in this descri...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I game mostly with headphones on but if they can improve that even more I say hell yeah. Proper audio in gaming is so damn important.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Love audio improvements more than resolution improvements, so this seems like very good news.
While I don't agree 100% with that, I do agree that sound and how it is delivered in a game is so underappreciated and how much of an impact it could have. Playing some games in Dolby Atmos on Xbox One X is just incredible. While I would lean more towards wanting better effect, resolution, frame rate in games, sound is also very vital imho to how a game is heard and how it impacts a game and how it is presented.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
They plan on making lots of New Xbox consoles. That's why this first one is called Series X, that's the name specifically for the black tall obelisk. The console line is called 'Xbox'.

So it might not be at launch, but there definitely will be more than one new 'Xbox'.
Oh I know that, but it was never said officialy.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So this news piece is just about a GDC presentation description? It would be quite a disappoitment indeed if next-gen would not feature such acceleration since PS4 already contains programmable audio HW.

Jan 21, 2019
Great sound is so important for immersion I would recommend anyone thinking about and Audioupgrade over a TV upgrade anytime.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm the 4chan link said that Series X would have hardware acceleration but it's not a "ray tracing" solution...it said the PS5 has that but Xbox doesn't...

So I guess the leak hasn't been disproven yet?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Xbox one has the shape sound engine hardware didn't it?
This isn't new for Xbox

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If it can come anywhere *CLOSE* to what Aureal 3D was before the evil bastards at Creative killed it, I will be ecstatic.

Ray-traced sound is mindbogglingly good. Having footsteps sound like they are right next to you when they are 100ft away would be a thing of the past.

youtu.be

Thank you for watching this video! Hope you found it interesting, please leave a comment and subscribe to the channel! Disclosure: Some links in this descri...

Wow I 100% remember that demo back in the day. Absolutely crazy if Microsoft and Sony can get anywhere close to what Aureal 3D was.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The Xbox one has the shape sound engine hardware didn't it?
This isn't new for Xbox
As I remember, it was more a "we have extra room left on the SOC, lets squeeze some sound stuff in there". It was kind of an afterthought. If this new stuff is more planned out and substantial, it could really help.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As I remember, it was more a "we have extra room left on the SOC, lets squeeze some sound stuff in there". It was kind of an afterthought. If this new stuff is more planned out and substantial, it could really help.

I thought the Kinect used it for some of it's voice command shenanigans

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019

youtu.be

It's insane how much damage creative caused. Now this old tech is hailed again as new and revolutionary.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should include a 3.5mm audio out, then, if they have all this talk about headphones.

Jan 21, 2019
I just did a quick and dirty google search

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox One Dolby Atmos Games List

Dolby Atmos creates a realistic, immersive soundscape, but is not featured in every game. These are all Xbox One games with baked-in Dolby Atmos support so far.

Tomb Raider really stood out for me also.
Hmm I love the tech but it seams too early to invest in my case, not too many games that interest me. My roof can't handle installing speakers. Ones I'm in a new location I will start playing my Atmos upgrade. Thanks for the info.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm I love the tech but it seams too early to invest in my case, not too many games that interest me. My roof can't handle installing speakers. Ones I'm in a new location I will start playing my Atmos upgrade. Thanks for the info.

You can get these upward-firing speakers that bounce off the ceiling to replicate the overhead sound :)

Jan 21, 2019
You can get these upward-firing speakers that bounce off the ceiling to replicate the overhead sound :)
I don't trust them, and I don't think my room is made for that. It's really not the time for me. But thanks for the advice anyways. I'm planning on doing a huge upgrade in 2023. New TV, AVR, PC and maybe this is when I'm going Atmos.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Since most of you are on the topic of Dolby Atmos :P ...

May you suggest the Dolby Atmos headphones you are using? please?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I don't trust them, and I don't think my room is made for that. It's really not the time for me. But thanks for the advice anyways. I'm planning on doing a huge upgrade in 2023. New TV, AVR, PC and maybe this is when I'm going Atmos.

Yeah, I understand. It is expensive business, and there is always a component that is the weak link. In my case, my One X pairs nicely with my receiver. However, my LG OLED only has ARC, not E-ARC, so the 5.1 is the max I can get for my apps (Netflx, Disney +, Amazon Prime) on my SmartTV...

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just did a quick and dirty google search

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox One Dolby Atmos Games List

Dolby Atmos creates a realistic, immersive soundscape, but is not featured in every game. These are all Xbox One games with baked-in Dolby Atmos support so far.

Tomb Raider really stood out for me also.

Interesting that Ubisoft did it for Origins but not Odyssey.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

youtu.be

Holy shit, how is this possible? Windows 98! Nothing i've listened to comes close to this, and we're in 2020. Crazy.

Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, I understand. It is expensive business, and there is always a component that is the weak link. In my case, my One X pairs nicely with my receiver. However, my LG OLED only has ARC, not E-ARC, so the 5.1 is the max I can get for my apps (Netflx, Disney +, Amazon Prime) on my SmartTV...
My receiver is my weak link. It can't go past 4k30 and no hdr at all. So when gaming on PC or ps4pro I have to use arc which limits me to 5.1 DD even though I have a 7.1 setup. Fortunately the Yamaha upmixer from 5.1 to 7.1 is surprisingly good so I can stay with this annoying set up for a bit longer.

It's so funny when there is just one feature that would solve all your problems but it can cost you anything from 500 to 2000 bucks depending on your weak link.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Is this going to matter much for those that use TV speakers or a low end soundbar?

No. And it won't really matter to people with high-end setups either. Hardware accellerated sound isn't something new. Xbox One and PS4 already do it. Pretty sure their predecessors did too. While it WOULD matter if they did not support it (neccessitating cutbacks in either sound or graphical quality) this is essentially them saying "yes, we still got it".

Hardware accellerated sound does not in itself mean "higher sound quality". It just means it will take less ressources from the CPU to do the sound parts of the game thus freeing up resources for other stuf. Same concept as the capture chip in the PS4. Due to having that, the PS4 is constantly recording your last hour of gameplay without it impacting performance in the games. Not having the capture chip is the reason the Xbox only captures the last 5 minutes of gameplay. It could do 1 hour but it would take up resources it does not have to spare.

Conversely, if PS5 and Series X had the same CPU/GPU but only one of them had hardware accellerated sound, then the one without would either have to cut back on the bitrate of the sound or graphical fidelity in order to match the other's performance.

So this story is actually not that interesting. It was a given that both consoles would have this. Now a real newsstory would be if the Series X has a capture chip. It's very likely as the absence was why they lost the streaming market to Sony in the current gen but a confirmation would be nice.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Don't they boast about great audio every gen?

Has anyone here noticed a difference between PS3 surround and PS4 surround? Because I sure didn't. And I have a good (5.1) sound system.

Maybe these improvements are only for people with 9 Atmos speakers.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I thought I'd bump this since lots of people don't realize Xbox series X has dedicated audio hardware as well.