• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch him without seeing how filthy the nose-pads on his glasses are. They are green and black when they should be transparent 🤢🤮

There's oxidation of the metal under the pads, mixed with the shadows from his lighting. The pads themselves are faded but still very clear.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh a legit teardown video... finally. Because some of the others were just opening up the cases and holding up the fan. 😏

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Internal SSD is socketed therefore it's removable and replaceable. Gonna watch to see what people do with that in the future.

Screenshot_20201108-140123_YouTube.jpg

Nothing, if the external SSD card will be cheaper in the future. (I think)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, if the external SSD card will be cheaper in the future. (I think)

People will be changing it out and testing it next year once PCIE 4.0 drives that are the same physical size are available. It would be nice to be able to upgrade to a 2TB internal.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
After watching it's really cool to see and I like the design. That being said it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get into the meat of the system compared to the PS5. Let's hope it has very few issues.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wonder if you can get at the tab for the stand through the holes in the back without opening the console

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed the gen of hoooge heatsinks.
Wild how much they managed to fit into that box. The split board design is very cool.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
After watching it's really cool to see and I like the design. That being said it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get into the meat of the system compared to the PS5. Let's hope it has very few issues.
Depends what you're trying to access. Everything for the most part seemed really easily accessible w/o being destructive and parts like the internal ssd weren't soldered in and should be replaceable. I'm guessing it'd get a pretty high ifixit score.

Wonder if you can get at the tab for the stand through the holes in the back without opening the console

It seems like you might be able to but why would you? The underside of the stand is even uglier than the stand lol

eek

Oct 26, 2017
People will be changing it out and testing it next year once PCIE 4.0 drives that are the same physical size are available. It would be nice to be able to upgrade to a 2TB internal.
I don't even see those smaller m2 drives available in 1TB sizes anywhere and the 512mb ones are really expensive (over 120). I don't see a lot of practical applications outside of it being easy for MS to repair if something goes wrong (or for them to source cheaper ssds or offer new skus in the future or whatever easily). I was thinking maybe someone could test a m2 riser/extension cable and plug in a 2280 drive but after watching the teardown there'd be no space to put it anyway

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching now - it looks really well designed internally. Lots of consideration given to noise/vibration reduction and making sure components don't move around if they shouldn't.

I wonder if the Wi-Fi card could be upgraded to a WiFi 6 one in the future since it's a separate board? Not sure if something like that would be locked to the console like the disc drive is. Either that, or MS could just release a USB adapter like they did on the 360.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Glad there's no mechanical drive in there to die an untimely death. Looks like I won't ever have to open up this bad boy. Unlike the OG XB1 which suffered from my repair attempt.

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This system is incredibly well engineered, like they took all the problems, size, heat, fixability, networking and came up with viable answers for all of it into a really elegant solution. Kudos.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
It's mostly so you don't see the thing bulging out from the side when it's in the cabinet horizontally.
Ah fair enough. Looking back at the video it seems like it might be doable depending on how you have to lift/push the tab. The holes are pretty big but they also don't start until a little bit up from the bottom so maybe the angle won't work out.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I wonder when the refreshed / slim version how it'll be packaged. Shit is engineering marvel.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Internal SSD is socketed therefore it's removable and replaceable. Gonna watch to see what people do with that in the future.

Screenshot_20201108-140123_YouTube.jpg
If it's anything like the Xbox One drives it has a special key it needs to be recognized but it was pretty easy to do on the XB1 drives I believe. Hopefully won't be that hard for the Series X SSD's. The bigger problem is finding a SSD that size in high capacity.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
to just put a compressed air nozzle in there and blast it out.

Hey, I have a question about this - when I use compressed air, sometimes I get a brief patch of, what I can only describe as "moisture" on the surface or area that's being sprayed, which almost immediately dissapates.

Is this condensation or moisture to the point that I need to be careful about damaging electronic items? Or is it something else / so brief I'm not going to kill any electronics in the device?

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017

I'm curious as to whether someone (braver than me) could crack open the external 1TB SSD expansion card, and find the very same SSD in that external package.

And THEN - can the external and the internal SSD be directly swapped?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how densely packed this thing is. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over time with regards to noise and heat. Right now it's great, but I mean years down the road.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I'll be replacing that 2230 SSD in like 4 years if there is a 2TB version for $400. But on next next gen they should go with standard 2280 cards. Much easier for some users and cheaper over the lifetime of the console.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
The bit we were all waiting for... the stand does come off!

0gL74hm.png
Thinking about it now, they should have stamped the Xbox logo on the bottom of the stand, to give us horizontal users something to look at other than blank rubber. But if it is inside a cabinet I guess you won't see it anyway, so.... I guess what I really wanted is no stand at all XD

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it'll be easy to dust off if needed in a couple years. I'm thankful it looks like everything is held in place with big, chunky screws, it looks fairly trivial to get everything apart.

As far as the SSD size, if it's a 2230 on both the internal and expansion then I would probably just wait until a 2280 enclosure is made for the expansion port and use the cheapest Gen4 SSD available in a few years and put it into an enclosure that I'm sure somebody will be offering. Yes it would stick out an extra 50mm/2 inches but that's not a big deal.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Such an amazingly well designed system. Well worth the price, in fact it seems like a bargain.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Amazing design.

That huge aluminum block for dissipating heat and keeping the two motherboard pieces from flexing is brilliant.

MS went all in. Wonder how much they are losing per console 👀

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Definitely losing money on that...

Looks like a nightmare to take apart. Screws for days.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing design.

That huge aluminum block for dissipating heat and keeping the two motherboard pieces from flexing is brilliant.

MS went all in. Wonder how much they are losing per console 👀

The overall design is top notch. Split motherboard sand-witching the massive aluminum chassis along with the equally massive vapor chamber. Every component seems to be of high quality materials. They really didn't cheapen out on this thing. Like he said in the video that they're selling this for $500 is just amazing.

If anyone had a lick of sense they'd sell covers with designs.

I can see this being a thing for people who prefer (or have no choice with their cabinets) placing it horizontal. I can see a slight redesign to allows the stand to be twisted into place and un-twist to remove.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
If it's anything like the Xbox One drives it has a special key it needs to be recognized but it was pretty easy to do on the XB1 drives I believe. Hopefully won't be that hard for the Series X SSD's. The bigger problem is finding a SSD that size in high capacity.

That isn't a thing anymore. The OS1 file now works on any drive only thing it doesn't do is install the boot screen but first OS update after the clean install puts that back.

system look very well engineered.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
And remove the stand to just twist it on there? I bet that could work.

The trouble would be getting it back off the wall, but I'm sure that could be figured out somehow.

I'm joking since that'd be ridiculous hanging from the wall 😂 BUT if I were going to design one I'd probably just omit the locking tab or make it taller so it'd be easier to remove once you locked it onto the wall (the spot where the stand locks in is right in that empty cavity so you have a lot of room to work with)