• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear I wasn't the only person getting extremely slow download speeds last night on the new system. I tried two ethernet cords, both bands of my wifi, restarted the router, etc.

As a result, I couldn't even play anything on the first night of owning my new all digital system. First Xbox for me in 16 years.. :/

tonetizzley

Nov 1, 2017
Bluetooth audio is not supported on next gen consoles.
You either plug your wired headphones to your controller or get a licensed Xbox headset that will wirelessly connect to your console (directly or through usb dongles).

Ps4 does support bluetooth headsets but even the ps5 dropped it from what I understand.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 25, 2017
Lacklustre download speeds got me down. I'm getting 50-75mbps at most, mostly less than 30 on a 300/300 connection. My buddy is on a 1000/100 connection across town and is getting 600-800mbps downloads with ease.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so of course when support has me test the Xbox (that I called because it wouldn't turn on) it now turns on again... I just what >_<

edit: and it just turned itself off again during setup but after they ended the call X-P

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
Glad to hear I wasn't the only person getting extremely slow download speeds last night on the new system. I tried two ethernet cords, both bands of my wifi, restarted the router, etc.

As a result, I couldn't even play anything on the first night of owning my new all digital system. First Xbox for me in 16 years.. :/
It's launch day. Everybody is downloading stuff all at once, so I expect these to increase over the next few days

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
This thing came broke out of the box. I try to put discs in and it sounds like it's trying to shred them.

What does a standard disc drive look like? Mine seems kind of misaligned at the bottom.

bsqaP9r.jpg

If anyone runs into this issue, you can fix this by doing the counterintuitive thing of forcing the disc in. Someone else on reddit had the issue and fixed it by pushing gently with his palm until the system accepted the disc. For me, gentle wasn't cutting it. I pushed a throwaway CD well beyond the point where I thought it was to snap before the drive gave in. It didn't feel good at all, but it worked, and the drive accepts discs like you'd expect.

I'm of the mind that it still might be a good idea to get the console replaced? Am I being paranoid? I just don't like the idea of having a defect out of the box. Then again, I don't know even know if they'll let me replace it now that it appears normal lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My Xbox no longer turns off/on my receiver :(

No idea why

If you haven't already checked, there's a toggle for HDMI-CEC in the system menu, and you can choose which specific actions it'll take. Mine was disabled by default (I was starting from scratch), even though the display supported it.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
So both Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion don't work for me. They both freeze on the main menu, or they crash and make the system turn off.

I've tried other games (FUSER, Ori, Yakuza) and they all work fine.

Do you feel this is an issue on Ubisoft's end? Or something with the SX? Anyone else experiencing this?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the Xbox Game Studios OT but I was directed to this thread by the friendly member solis74 :

The Series X won't connect to my Wi-Fi network at home.

The problem is most likely my router. I predict the end result is I'll have to replace my router, but it's extremely frustrating because my Xbox One X, and all my other devices (multiple phones and laptops belonging to me and my wife, and the Google Home Mini, and visitors' phones) all never had any problem with Wi-Fi on this router.

1. During Series X start-up, the console tries to connect to a Wi-Fi network, to perform a system update. But it keeps failing to connect to my Wi-Fi network.

2. My router is a tp-link Archer C20 router, with 2.4GHz turned off. I use only the 5Ghz band. My ISP is a fibre Internet company (so I don't have a modem; instead my router plugs straight into an Ethernet jack on my apartment wall).

3. Things that I've tried doing:
    1. Series X says it can't get an IP address from my router. Tried setting up a static IP address, and I performed port forwarding as prescribed by this article (specific to Xbox / Series X) and this article (specific to my router), and that didn't help.
    2. Confirmed my router isn't doing any wireless MAC address filtering
    3. Router's mode is set to 11a/n/c mixed. Switched it to 11an mode; still doesn't work.
    4. Router's channel was set to Auto. I changed it to something like channel 149; still doesn't work.
    5. Restarted my router several times
    6. Restarted Series X several times
    7. Reset router to factory default and tried again; no luck
    8. Reset Series X to factory default and tried again; no luck
    9. The only thing that allowed my Series X to perform a system update was to connect it via Wi-Fi to my personal iPhone's hot spot. I then burned 775MB of my phone plan's data. There's so much I want to download to comfortably set up my Series X that I just didn't bother.

4. Some things I haven't tried yet, which I aim to try tonight or this weekend:
    1. Try with an extra long Ethernet cable plugged from Series X to router
    2. Try with an extra long Ethernet cable plugged from Series X directly into Ethernet jack on my apartment wall
    3. Try different router that I'm borrowing from my brother
    4. Try with 2.4Ghz turned on and 5Ghz turned off, with original router
    5. Perhaps trying some other channels (other than 149) on the original router will help

ImmortanRambo

Jun 25, 2020
Anyone have issues where games are not downloading when it's in sleep mode. I have instant on set and when I'm turning the console off my downloads stop and I have to hit resume when I turn it back on. Just tried a restart to see of that changes anything.

Captain EZ8

Oct 30, 2017
I posted this in the Xbox Game Studios OT but I was directed to this thread by the friendly member solis74 :

The Series X won't connect to my Wi-Fi network at home.

The problem is most likely my router. I predict the end result is I'll have to replace my router, but it's extremely frustrating because my Xbox One X, and all my other devices (multiple phones and laptops belonging to me and my wife, and the Google Home Mini, and visitors' phones) all never had any problem with Wi-Fi on this router.

1. During Series X start-up, the console tries to connect to a Wi-Fi network, to perform a system update. But it keeps failing to connect to my Wi-Fi network.

2. My router is a tp-link Archer C20 router, with 2.4GHz turned off. I use only the 5Ghz band. My ISP is a fibre Internet company (so I don't have a modem; instead my router plugs straight into an Ethernet jack on my apartment wall).

3. Things that I've tried doing:
    1. Series X says it can't get an IP address from my router. Tried setting up a static IP address, and I performed port forwarding as prescribed by this article (specific to Xbox / Series X) and this article (specific to my router), and that didn't help.
    2. Confirmed my router isn't doing any wireless MAC address filtering
    3. Router's mode is set to 11a/n/c mixed. Switched it to 11an mode; still doesn't work.
    4. Router's channel was set to Auto. I changed it to something like channel 149; still doesn't work.
    5. Restarted my router several times
    6. Restarted Series X several times
    7. Reset router to factory default and tried again; no luck
    8. Reset Series X to factory default and tried again; no luck
    9. The only thing that allowed my Series X to perform a system update was to connect it via Wi-Fi to my personal iPhone's hot spot. I then burned 775MB of my phone plan's data. There's so much I want to download to comfortably set up my Series X that I just didn't bother.
  4. Some things I haven't tried yet, which I aim to try tonight or this weekend:
    1. Try with an extra long Ethernet cable plugged from Series X to router
    2. Try with an extra long Ethernet cable plugged from Series X directly into Ethernet jack on my apartment wall
    3. Try different router that I'm borrowing from my brother
    4. Try with 2.4Ghz turned on and 5Ghz turned off, with original router
    5. Perhaps trying some other channels (other than 149) on the original router will help
I have encounter a similar problem as you before with a tp-link router I am unsure if the solution I found will work for you but it could be worth a try. The solution to my problem was to turn off all port forwarding and port triggering settings and instead make sure the UPNP setting is enable and refresh the UPNP client list.

edit: I should say my problem was a few months ago so I dont remember if I turn off UPNP first then tried connecting the device or if I turn UPNP off and on resetting the list but I do remember messing the UPNP setting to fix my problem.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
So, my post got buried under OT, so I will post here hoping someone can help.

My Series X arrived on monday and everything was fine until I tried to play Hitman 2.

The game wouldn't load any mission I tried, crashing to the dashboard, and then shutting It off a few seconds later.

Tried playing Ghostrunner, The Surge 2 and Void Bastards, no problem.

Downloaded AC: Valhalla overnight and went to play It this morning. A few seconds after the intro the game froze, and shutted the console off.

My console is in a well ventilated área and standing horizontally.

I have seen a few people in Reddit and Microsoft forums with the same issue but no solution so far.

I could technically return It, but with zero stock on Amazon BR, I dont think it will help on short term.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Could be launch bugs, could be a hardware problem (always going to be some lemons at launch).

I think I would give it some time, unless AC: Valhalla is crashing every single time you play it. Try a hard reboot, and even re-installing the game if you have to before throwing in the towel. 😉

Also, there's a troubleshooting thread.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X/S Troubleshooting Thread

Im having the hardest time of my gaming tech life right now. So many issues I’m totally lost My setup : -lg77cx -jbl 9.1 (hdmi 2 - earc ) -Xbox serie x (hdmi 3 ) I had 0 issues , perfect , with my Xbox one x so what can cause all this ? Hdmi 2.1? -dropping sounds randomly. Can’t be fixed...

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Make sure there's no loose screws or physical issues. If not it's probably software and will eventually be fixed. The launch seems pretty rushed in both areas.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
this is likely a hardware issue

crashing the system isn't a good sign because it runs all games in VM

because the system is going down, it means something is happening with the OS or hardware and because the OS is so refined... it's gotta be hardware.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 2.5 hours of AC Valhalla and have had zero issues. Might call Microsoft to see what's up.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I have factory reset the console about twice. Tried moving the games to internal, external, no luck.

Tested Watch Dogs Legion, and It is crashing as well.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There are various bits and pieces not working with the software and the console. Try adding a next gen Tv! Those have their own problems too.

If you've not done a full cold reboot (complete with startup sound) already, I would try that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
XSX and AC:Valhalla seems to be having a lot of issues between the game and the console itself. Thankfully none of the games I've played so far (D2, Tetris, Fortnite & NMS) have had anything go wrong.

🍀

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they might have some units in reserve for replacements. Might be better to call sooner rather than later and see.

Feb 1, 2018
It's a launch console in a brave new tech world where they ship things first and fix issues later- there's gonna be bugs for weeks until they get patched out.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
this is likely a hardware issue

crashing the system isn't a good sign because it runs all games in VM

because the system is going down, it means something is happening with the OS or hardware
Even tho its run in a VM games can still cause a full reboot. Borderlands 3 still has this problem to this day on Xbox One X. Every other game ran fine and never crashed the whole xbox.

I would try a full reboot along with unplugging from wall for a few minutes. Also make sure its not connected to a shitty power strip.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing is that some games without issue, but some soft Lock and crash the system.

If is a software issue I can wait for a patch, but a hardware one would leave me without a new Xbox until next shipment.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Crashed on Destiny 2 when I've gone to the new exotic kiosk. Back to back crashes and I haven't tried since.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard crashed last night playing Minecraft Dungeons.

To be fair, my. X1X crashed exactly the same way playing that dumb game.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mighty No. 9 ain't working as it should.

So maybe it's just happening with a handful of games?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
sounds defective. launch day issues (I expect more later this week). Best to reach out to MS and use your warrantee

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I've played about 5 hours of Valhalla and have had zero issues outside of a couple of hitches during cutscenes. Sounds like your unit is bad.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I would think since some games you've tried are fine, it's likely just launch game issues. I've heard other reports of Valhalla especially being a bit buggy and crashing for some players. Best to wait for a patch and see if the issue repeats or not.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't already checked, there's a toggle for HDMI-CEC in the system menu, and you can choose which specific actions it'll take. Mine was disabled by default (I was starting from scratch), even though the display supported it.

turns out it was a setting within the receiver itself. "HDMI control" i think it was called had to be turned on. Just odd being that the 1x apparently didn't require this setting and worked fine. Whatever, all good now!

Thanks for the reply though!