• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
That's incorrect. It doesn't automatically get the 60fps boost, and it WAS a handcrafted enhancement by the Xbox BC team. That's why I asked where Fallout 4 falls.
Fallout 4 was not a handcrafted enhancement. Just like the original Crackdown, it doubled its framerate from 30 to 60 fps through the BC system. They developed techniques to double framerates which were applied to a wide swath of games.
New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game's original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Pretty cool for those wanting to play older titles again, or those jumping onto Xbox for the first time (me)

But nothing makes me go, oh I need a Series X.
Think I'll cancel my pre order for now, and get it a bit cheaper later on instead.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They can add options like FOV slider and 120FPS.

Halo 5 would massively benefit from reworking the game around the SSD to get its file size down. MCC as well has gotten bloated so that would benefit as well.

Next gen isn't just about 4K/60FPS :) Even then Halo 2 Anniversary tanks in frame rate on levels like Delta Halo but maybe that gets helped out through standard BC.

I would assume most of that work is being done alongside all of the PC work. With Halo 4 hitting flights soon and launching probably before the end of November, I could see MCC getting the Series X/S optimized patch before the end of the year.

I don't see them doing much for 5 since it's not coming to PC.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Unless I'm mistaken, that just means you'll get the Xbox One BC version on your Series X or S until the patch comes out.
Smart Delivery = Dedicated patch/install for your next gen console (for free).
So it will get a first patch for XSX/XSS.

It's different than just BC, which won't require any patch at all, and just run the last gen version with automatic improvements.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's incorrect. It doesn't automatically get the 60fps boost, and it WAS a handcrafted enhancement by the Xbox BC team. That's why I asked where Fallout 4 falls.
I don't know what they are going to call enhanced games by the BC team on XSX/XSS. This generation they were referred to being X enhanced.
Fallout 4 was not a handcrafted enhancement. Just like the original Crackdown, it doubled its framerate from 30 to 60 fps through the BC system.
It wasn't simply through the BC system. It was individually done through a process with a technique/method applied by the BC team and thoroughly tested.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I would assume most of that work is being done alongside all of the PC work. With Halo 4 hitting flights soon and launching probably before the end of November, I could see MCC getting the Series X/S optimized patch before the end of the year.

I don't see them doing much for 5 since it's not coming to PC.
I see them doing that when the MCC team is done with Halo 4. They'll move on to working on getting Halo 5 on PC.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I am legit surprised H5/MCC isn't on this list. Was really hoping we'd see day one patches for those.

Super looking forward to Gears Tactics though. I am mad hyped to play on console!

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
It wasn't simply through the BC system. It was individual done through a process with a technique/method applied by the BC team and thoroughly tested.
Yes, but I'm trying to say that it wasn't specially developed for any specific game. It was developed and applied to a wide variety of games. The next-gen optimized patches are handcrafted for specific games.
Like I said in my last post:
They developed techniques to double framerates which were applied to a wide swath of games.
New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game's original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
...King Oddball, an Angry Birds-like indie release from a few years ago, is getting a day one Series X optimization patch?

Jun 17, 2018
I'll pick one up in the new year but I'm oddly looking forward to finally finishing Fallout 4 in 60fps. Also looking forward to Black Ops Cold War.

Oct 27, 2017
This has made me more confused about BC at launch TBH, am I right in thinking these games are being specifically altered for Series S|X and other titles haven't been patched but will get frame rate doubling and auto-hdr?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I'm trying to say that it wasn't specially developed for any specific game. It was developed and applied to a wide variety of games. The next-gen optimized patches are handcrafted for specific games.
Like I said in my last post:
Yes, but that's different than saying it was simply through the BC system. And somebody saying the technique/method was handcrafted by the BC team and tinkered specifically for an individual game isn't necessarily wrong.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
How can there not be FIFA (and Madden I guess)? Disappointed about MCC too.

Still have much to play with GP on day-one so happy about that.

Oct 28, 2017
That list is just, eh. I mean, I love to muck around with emulation and enjoy the optimisations, but when I buy a next gen console, and I jumped through hoops to get one day one, I want to get my lid blown off. This ain't it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Smart Delivery = Dedicated patch/install for your next gen console (for free).
So it will get a first patch for XSX/XSS.

It's different than just BC, which won't require any patch at all, and just run the last gen version with automatic improvements.

You keep saying this like the blog post mentioned something specific. It didn't. There will be a Series X/S version sometime next year and until then you'll be playing the game via BC.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
WRC9 is going to play soooo much better on next gen consoles!!! this has me hyped for nov 10th like nothing else

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its great to have the launch line-up clearly laid out, but there's just nothing compelling there to convince me to make the plunge, and I was hella close to impulse preordering one fresh off the Bethesda acquisition, but now that the hypes settled down, I know I'm better off waiting.

For those who have got their preorders locked in though, Yakuza is the only right choice on that list.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You keep saying this like the blog post mentioned something specific. It didn't. There will be a Series X/S version sometime next year and until then you'll be playing the game via BC.
They did say something specific:

When Cyberpunk 2077 launches on November 19 it will look and play best on our next gen consoles and take advantage of Smart Delivery technology giving fans the best version for whatever Xbox console you own.

And that's what Smart Delivery is and works.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Really looking forward to the enhanced version of Forza Horizon 4.

Will be getting Valhalla and maybe Dirt 5 too.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man I'm so excited to try out some BC games from backlog and check out brute force improvements.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Sea of Thieves
Can't wait to see those!

Optimized for Xbox Series means that these games were updated to take full advantage of all the power and the Velocity Architecture?

May 10, 2019
tenor.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Sea of Thieves
Can't wait to see those!

Optimized for Xbox Series means that these games were updated to take full advantage of all the power and the Velocity Architecture?
Yes with possible other enhancements such as 120fps and/or Raytracing added, etc...

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
This is a terrible launch lineup all things considered. If you like replaying older games or you missed them then I guess there's a fair amount to dive into and play, but this is not a lineup to sell people on a new system at all.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be playing gears tactics and Tetris effect on launch day then while I wait for cod and cyberpunk to release, but it's a pretty disappointing launch lineup if I'm being honest. Especially compared the PlayStation.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, Tell Me Why isn't getting Series X Optimized? I've been saving it as a launch title.

Should I just play it now? Dontnod are among my favourite devs and I love Life Is Strange 1 and 2.