• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I really am curious if this works the way I think it does.

Here's the announcement:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play - Xbox Wire

Now more than ever, gaming plays an important role in our lives. As one of the greatest forms of creative expression, gaming sparks in our imagination and connects us to new worlds, stories, and our friends. On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision...

That's all with no upfront costs and a low monthly price. Xbox Series S will be available starting from $24.99 a month for 24 months and Xbox Series X will be available starting from $34.99 a month for 24 months.

It reads like it's $35 a month for 24 months ($840), but if bought separately would be $500 for the console, plus $360 for the game pass, so cheaper on a payment plan.

That starting at is the part that worries me. That reads to me like it's $840 for the $500 console with no game pass included.

Has someone who's done the similar thing with the Xbox One say what's really up? I was going to hold off on this generation until there was a game I was truly excited for that wouldn't play on my Switch (Fallout 5?), but as it is here, it may make sense to just upgrade early and have the faster system available form the get go. Doubly so if I can sell my Xbone fairly early on while it's worth more.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That starting at is the part that worries me. That reads to me like it's $840 for the $500 console with no game pass included.

What? No. Game Pass Ultimate is included in All Access. Their website is very clear on this.

"Starting at" is probably just because you will be charged interest if you don't make the monthly payments.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
its right from your initial math. its a zero percent interest same as cash credit line that allows you to pay for the console plus gamepass unlimited. they give you a small discount because you are stuck with gamepass unlimited and the console for 24 months. its a good deal if you are okay with having a full 2 year sub to gamepass, its a bad deal if you are someone that could want to cancel because say you arent using it as much. you cant cancel it with this setup.

Also should add this: you are also still responsible for payments even if the console is broken etc(which is typical for a lot of credit scenarios) and the warranty is only a year so if anything happens year two you will have to pay for any repairs, but again its the same if you bought up front, just that you could be paying for it while still waiting for it to come back for repair etc. so there are little caveats but overall its a good deal for anyone that is planning to have gamepass for the full two years.

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually cheaper on a payment plan? Microsoft is insane.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass Ultimate is part of the deal, you're basically signing up to 24 months of it at near full price, which historically isn't a particularly good deal given the frequent heavy discounting that has been available. Obviously in the longer term those discounts will presumably become less frequent, but I guess for a lot of people here that have already paid up GPU subscriptions for 1-3 years All Access isn't a particularly great.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
What? No. Game Pass Unlimited is included in All Access. Their website is very clear on this.

"Starting at" is probably just because you will be charged interest if you don't make the monthly payments.
And scene.

Yes, it's a bit cheaper. MS probably doesn't care because it locks you into Game Pass.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Here's the announcement:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play - Xbox Wire

Now more than ever, gaming plays an important role in our lives. As one of the greatest forms of creative expression, gaming sparks in our imagination and connects us to new worlds, stories, and our friends. On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision...

It reads like it's $35 a month for 24 months ($840), but if bought separately would be $500 for the console, plus $360 for the game pass, so cheaper on a payment plan.

Has someone who's done the similar thing with the Xbox One say what's really up? I was going to hold off on this generation until there was a game I was truly excited for that wouldn't play on my Switch (Fallout 5?), but as it is here, it may make sense to just upgrade early and have the faster system available form the get go. Doubly so if I can sell my Xbone fairly early on while it's worth more.

35 includes the whole bundle. I did it with a One X. I just treated it as of I was paying for gold each month or whatever.

Feels pretty goood

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? No. Game Pass Ultimate is included in All Access. Their website is very clear on this.

"Starting at" is probably for people with awful credit, before they have a chance to miss monthly payments

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Since the OP has been corrected about Game Pass being included in the price (and therefore that the monthly plan actually works out cheaper than buying the console and 24 months of GPU separately), is there anything left to discuss here or can the thread be closed?

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
All Access is almost too good of a deal.
As someone who usually buys stuff outright I'm strongly considering using it to get a system.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
As I said in another thread, teenagers can tell mom and dad "Hey can I use the money you give every month to buy this new console?" and many many parents will accept.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
"Starting at" is probably for people with awful credit, before they have a chance to miss monthly payments

Thats how I read it too.

If you have poor credit you probably are either not going to be eligible at all for this or you're going to be paying more than what the starting at price is set at.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I read it similar to you OP

"a next generation Xbox and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate starting at $24.99 a month"

The starting at refers to the Series S, which is $25 a month.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more that they are forcing you to get gamepass ultimate for 2 years instead of you having the choice to get it for free or not get ultimate but the lower end version. There's also not an option to just get the xbox by itself (unless I missed something) so they get a gaurenteed 2 year commitment from you where they might otherwise haven't. That's probably the thinking. Also, due to it being a lower entry price point, it will help people dive into it earlier than they would if they paid it all up front including parents. I guess this is the benefit of competition and playing catchup from the previous generation. Nothing but benefits for consumers it seems lol.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, the concern trolling never stops
Nope. It's been crazy the last two days and I don't even give a shit because PC > all. Just accept the good things or remain silent if you support another brand.

I think in this case it was genuine confusion.
It's in the link. "Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play."

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Yeah math checks out that all access is less expensive like for like (ie not getting GPU at a discount)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This makes it blatantly obvious that Microsoft's goal with the new Xbox systems isn't to sell consoles, it's to become established as the Netflix of Videogames. Someone gets an Xbox this way and at the end of the 24-months, are they going to cancel their subscription when their monthly fee drops to the regular $15/month? Probably not. And if someone pays for a $15/month subscription for the life of a console, they're putting more money into the platform than the average user does even if they're not buying a single game (the average attach rate for consoles is under 10 and not all of those games are going to be bought at full price).

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate = $15 per month. $360 for two years.

$360 + $300 = $660 / 24 = $27.5 per month. Their plans are actually saving you money assuming there is no interest.

(too many deals on Game Pass atm to pay full price imo, so doesn't exactly make sense, but if you were going to pay full price for GP, then sure why not)

OP
OP
bmfrosty

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Lol, the concern trolling never stops
I wouldn't troll on this. It was a serious question. I was just looking for clarification. If it's just going to be $20 cheaper overall, and I want to have a system to play the occasional AAA game on, I may as well go this way.

I've long given up on payment plans for phones because they have a bunch of crudware installed on them, and buy them outright from the manufacturer. I just didn't see the reason to pick up an XBSS or XBSX until there was a must have game.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I'm guessing that's language to cover anything else they have to add on(like a penalty for missed payment/bad credit, local taxes, etc) and theoretically they could let you finance stuff like accessories along with it, which would obviously raise the price

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
its right from your initial math. its a zero percent intrest same as cash credit line that allows you to pay for the console plus gamepass unlimited. they give you a small discount because you are stuck with gamepass unlimited and the console for 24 months. its a good deal if you are okay with having a full 2 year sub to gamepass, its a bad deal if you are someone that could want to cancel because say you arent using it as much. you cant cancel it with this setup.
Great post, this is exactly why it's cheaper

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
All Access is this

Console Cost: $299.99 or $499.99
+
24 months of Game Pass Ultimate: $359.76

Series S: $659.75 / 24 = $27.49
Series X: $859.75 / 24 = $35.82

Savings of $2.50 and $0.83 per month

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of a crazy good deal. Well, if you're paying full price for game pass. Have there been any good game pass deals lately? Mine is about to expire. I haven't used it much, but I'd probably renew if it was cheap enough.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite normal for subscriptions to be cheaper if you sign up for a longer period.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this is hard for people to understand? The terms are laid out right there. There are no "gotchas" here.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It's been crazy the last two days and I don't even give a shit because PC > all. Just accept the good things or remain silent if you support another brand.

It's in the link. "Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play."

Well it does say, "starting from" so I don't immediately rush to fanboyism just because someone wants clarity. I understood it as is but I can see how someone may have a single question. I'm not familiar with the OP's post history though so maybe I'm wrong.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
It' really not that great of a deal money wise, only saving $20, but it's great for people who don't have the cash upfront.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here's the announcement:

news.xbox.com

You have completely misunderstood that context. The starting at $25 clause is there because there's also the more expensive option for $35/mo.

You'll see this on any marketing for a product that offers optional upgrades.

The contract is for 2 years, after that you own the console and can cancel your GamePass Ultimate subscription. The only catch to this deal is that it includes GamePass Ultimate subscription at full price.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This makes it blatantly obvious that Microsoft's goal with the new Xbox systems isn't to sell consoles, it's to become established as the Netflix of Videogames. Someone gets an Xbox this way and at the end of the 24-months, are they going to cancel their subscription when their monthly fee drops to the regular $15/month? Probably not. And if someone pays for a $15/month subscription for the life of a console, they're putting more money into the platform than the average user does even if they're not buying a single game (the average attach rate for consoles is under 10 and not all of those games are going to be bought at full price).

Yup.

That's why I don't see why people act like Microsoft and Sony are playing the same game and only one of them can be the "winner." They're not, at all. Microsoft is doing their own thing, much like Nintendo is.

Growing Game Pass is Microsoft's new north star. I'm sure they'll bring it to mobile. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a deal to bring it to Switch.