• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your battery solution?

• Play and Charge Kit

Votes: 223 28.4%
  • Recharageable AAs

Votes: 486 62.0%
  • Disposable AAs

Votes: 60 7.7%
  • Wired

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
This is so funny! I was a PS4 owner exclusively. I pre-ordered the Series X and totally forgot I need to get batteries for the Xbox controllers!
I think you'll find it a much better solution, especially compared to the ps4 controller. The battery life was so short it was laughable. You really needed to own two controllers. With xbox it's so easy. Batteries die, you replace them and get back to the game. And you don't need to buy multiple controllers!

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Recently switched to rechargeable batteries and I don't see a better way of doing it. I'd argue having rechargeable AA batteries is the best way to game, because you never have to plug the controller in but can always keep playing wireless as long as you have a spare set ready and charged to go.

GAME. CHANGER!

Solsc

Oct 29, 2017
If using rechargeable, can you play with dead batteries if you plug in a USB C cable to the controller?

OP
OP
24thFrame

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Now, I see that there are Eneloops and Eneloop Pros on Amazon. Is the difference significant enough? Should I go for the Pros, or just the standard ones?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to have a lot of Eneloops but currently they are hidden between various toys. But eneloops are the way to go.

OP
OP
24thFrame

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
If using rechargeable, can you play with dead batteries if you plug in a USB C cable to the controller?

I'm currently using an Xbox One controller on my PC that doesn't even have batteries in the housing, and it works with a USB cable... So I assume this would work.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I use rechargeable batteries in my and my children's controllers.

Though my main is an Elite Series 2 which has an internal rechargeable.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the Play and Charge kit. Our sofa setup has USB ports, so when the battery runs low, it's more convenient for me to just plug it into a cable within arm's reach (that isn't running across the floor or whatever) than to physically swap out batteries.

is the play and charge kit available anywhere?
Yup. I preordered mine at Best Buy.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so lazy I spent the entire gen with no batteries and just wired with a USB extension. Poll needs a fourth option :p

BozoHarry

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland.
Something like this:

1519296_01_XBX_Dual_Charger_Black_3_Charging_R.png

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
I continue to use the rechargeables I currently have? Bought them around 2011 and they still work...

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I've stayed wired through the 360/one generations and will probably be the same throughout the series x generation

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One of the best features of my Xbox controllers are the (rechargeable) batteries I can swap. Takes 30 seconds to replace, better than any fixed battery like in the DS4

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I think you'll find it a much better solution, especially compared to the ps4 controller. The battery life was so short it was laughable. You really needed to own two controllers. With xbox it's so easy. Batteries die, you replace them and get back to the game. And you don't need to buy multiple controllers!
I have 5 PS4 controllers and kept them in constant rotation! :)

I'm hoping that the PS5 controllers have better battery life...

As far as the XBox controllers, how long do the batteries generally last before needing replacement?

sniarn

May 23, 2020
For those getting rechargeable batteries I recommend a BC700 charger. It's probably the best charger you can get and it tells you the condition of your batteries which is pretty essential when you think about it.

Mar 8, 2018
I see the benefits of eneloops over something like a Nyko charge station, but I'm concerned about the long term ramifications of taking off the battery housing over time. What's everyone's experience with that? Does the battery cover break often? The last time I used AA-style batteries in a controller instead of a charge pack or internal battery was the Wavebird.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I remember the last time a battery thread popped up, it was full of posts like "Changing batteries? It's 2020 looool" as if having fixed batteries that can't be easily changed, whenever wherever, is a good thing, smdh.

Rechargeable AAs baby, all day, every day. I have mostly Eneloops but I hear good things about the IKEA Laddas, so I'll give them a try next time I'm there.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll find it a much better solution, especially compared to the ps4 controller. The battery life was so short it was laughable. You really needed to own two controllers.
lol this is the exact reason why I have two Ps4 controllers. Never had a controller with such horrid battery life.

Dec 21, 2017
i already have 2 play and change batteries for X1 that would probably work. I play at a desk most of the time, so i just use the controller wired %99 of the time.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I see the benefits of eneloops over something like a Nyko charge station, but I'm concerned about the long term ramifications of taking off the battery housing over time. What's everyone's experience with that? Does the battery cover break often? The last time I used AA-style batteries in a controller instead of a charge pack or internal battery was the Wavebird.

I've never had an Xbox controller battery cover break on me, and I've been using batteries in my controller since the 360.